IGNORED

Dream Games Wish List.

Atariboy2600

What I liked about the 7800 is that many of the games are actually PC games... like Mean 18, Ace of Aces, etc.

There's a bunch of games in that genre that I would have loved to see made for the 7800... like Arctic Fox, Test Drive 1, Baby-3, Red Baron, Pengo (did they make that?), Grime, etc...

• Like 1

Well, there's always any of those games that are listed in this topic, that either haven't been made, probably will be made in the future, or are already being made in the background (not speaking for anyone, but I'm just suggesting).

Personally, a few of those games would be really cool to try to make with RevEng's 7800basic. I'm working on one, but after it, and another game I'm planning to do, maybe I might give one of those a shot (but I don't wanna say/announce/guarantee anything just yet). Pengo looks pretty cool, and probably something the 7800 could do pretty well (maybe with some TIA experimentation).

This is a bit of an obscure Master System title, but I'd love to see it on the 7800

As Golden Axe Warrior is basically Sega's version of Nintendo's Legend of Zelda, I would propose that an Atari "version" of those games (you'll get why the quotation marks in a second) be Adventure III (as Adventure II was already indie released for Atari 5200). After all, Golden Axe Warrior and Legend of Zelda are both basically upgraded versions of Atari's own Adventure, which was the original action/adventure game in the video game industry (both GAW and LoZ being action/adventures as well).

Here's Adventure II for those that haven't seen it yet:

"Simply" (yes, I know it's not simple at all) replace the dot character with an actual animated sprite, complete with sword swinging action, add some common enemy characters in the overworld and, boom: Instant 7800 Adventure (or in this case, Adventure III). Maybe the duck-billed dragons could be boss fights in this new version.

I proposed that very game when I proposed a version of Wonder Boy/Adventure Island starring Bentley Bear, who I believed should've been Atari's mascot. Bob is coming through with the latter with the anticipated release of Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, so maybe someone will pick up this idea and run with it.

Also on my wishlist:

1. An Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (NES version) style RPG, but one with a first person turn based battle system ala the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest games. By Ultima IV NES style I mean a WRPG with JRPG graphical style. More freedom allowed than a typical JRPG. In Ultima IV you could basically battle anyone you wanted to just by initiating the encounter as well as steal items and have it count against the morality choices. NES style because I prefer the style of the sprites in that version over the computer versions. Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest first person battles because I prefer that sort of simplified battle system to Ultima IV's more strategic overhead placement battle system, and it would show off the ol' 7800's ability to have massively sized sprites on screen for boss battles.

Here's Ultima IV NES version for those that haven't seen it:

2. NES had Castlevania; SMS had Master of Darkness, which was basically Sega's version of Castlevania. NES and SMS both had Ninja Gaiden games. I propose hitting two birds with one stone: a mash up of Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania. Totally '80s, you play as a ninja going against monsters (vampires, werewolves, demons, those goddamn bats that plague your existence in both Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden) in Dracula's (or, better yet, Satan's) castle. Yeah. Totally. *air guitar. You get the agility of a ninja (so no more marrying a goddamn jump like you do in Castlevania) with the enemy design of Castlevania. Level design would be a mash up of both (stairs ala Castlevania; ladders on walls and wall jumps ala Ninja Gaiden).

3. A Space Harrier type rail shooter. From my (very limited) understanding, 7800 could handle that type of pseudo 3D better than the other consoles with display list manipulation (call me out if I'm way wrong here, btw). Might be a great game to show off the 7800's prowess. Plus I just dig rail shooters, specifically Space Harrier. Maybe someone could hack, say, Motor Psycho to make this one?

Since the 7800 straddles the line between the early-80s and late-80s styles of gameplay, there's several titles I'd love to see in both categories. Of the earlier titles:

Zaxxon

River Raid

Gorf

Donkey Kong 3 (hey, I liked it!)

Jungle Hunt

Ghostbusters

Later stuff:

OutRun

Double Dragon II

Bad Dudes

Vigilante

Superman (a port of the 1988 Taito coin-op; never made it to any home console, but I've always loved it so much that I went and bought an original machine.)

Batman (a 1989 movie-based game, though I wouldn't complain if the old Caped Crusader PC game was re-worked for the 7800.)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (either the first NES game, or a port of the arcade; if it were the latter, dare I dream of 4-player capability? Yes!)

As Golden Axe Warrior is basically Sega's version of Nintendo's Legend of Zelda, I would propose that an Atari "version" of those games (you'll get why the quotation marks in a second) be Adventure III (as Adventure II was already indie released for Atari 5200).

2. NES had Castlevania; SMS had Master of Darkness, which was basically Sega's version of Castlevania.

3. A Space Harrier type rail shooter. From my (very limited) understanding, 7800 could handle that type of pseudo 3D better than the other consoles with display list manipulation (call me out if I'm way wrong here, btw). Might be a great game to show off the 7800's prowess. Plus I just dig rail shooters, specifically Space Harrier. Maybe someone could hack, say, Motor Psycho to make this one?

On Adventure III, I agree. I think I actually proposed that to Cafeman a few times, but he's a hardcore 5200 guy, which usually means pretty anti anything 7800. His choice. I'm still looking forward to when the A8 version is finished. Absolutely one of my fav homebrews on any platform.

Master of Darkness always made me chuckle. Jack The Ripper leaping 30 feet in the air was always pretty funny to me. :-)

Space Harrier would be fantastic for the 7800. Loved Sheddy's version of that on A8 as well. Work of art.

• 2 weeks later...

A personal favorite of mine. Extremely addictive game. 1982 Solar Fox

https://youtu.be/H_livSkfWy0

The atari 2600 actually had a fun version of this, but a 7800 version would graphically dwarf the 2600 version and be more arcade accurate unlike the 2600 version.

Can it possible?

?

Edited by Stun Runner 87
  • Like 1