IGNORED

Finally got a Atari 7800

atarianallstar

After getting a Lynx for my birthday in 1993 ,a Jaguar in 1998 free from telegames and countless of VCS's I finally got the Atari 7800! Huzzah. So far I'm loving it. Granted the games are far from NES or SMS quality but still it is fun to finally got one. I have a couple of questions however.

How do you see the difference between PAL and NTSC games when purchasing on ebay?

those arcade ports available in the Atari age store, are they officially licenced?

Where can I purchase those cool looking prototypes on card?

Well that's it for now back to Xevious!

• Like 4

Congratulations on purchasing the 7800!! :thumbsup: I really hope you enjoy this fine system. Yes, all arcade ports here in the atariage store are licensed. And lastly I found a thread from a few years ago to help you out with NTSC and PAL 7800 carts. Anyways, hope you have fun and check out the Atariage store for some awesome homebrews!! :grin:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199617-visual-differences-between-pal-and-ntsc/

The 7800 is a great system and don't forget to check out the homebrews in the AA Store!

BTW: how did you receive a free Jaguar from Telegames? :lol:

I had a coupon from them that came with my previous purchase: Buy two jaguar games and get a Jaguar for free. I was only 15 at the time so I chose the two cheapest games they had: Dino Dudes and Iron Soldier both at 9.99 . Back in those days I had to go to the bank and change Belgium franks for British Pounds. And then mail the money to them! I guess they were pretty angry at me because they packed the games inside the jaguar box without the original game box. What is interesting is that the manual for Iron Soldier is in japanese.

Congratulations on purchasing the 7800!! :thumbsup: I really hope you enjoy this fine system. Yes, all arcade ports here in the atariage store are licensed. And lastly I found a thread from a few years ago to help you out with NTSC and PAL 7800 carts. Anyways, hope you have fun and check out the Atariage store for some awesome homebrews!! :grin:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199617-visual-differences-between-pal-and-ntsc/

I will direct anybody who doesn't have a clue for my christmass gifts to the Atari Age store! It is pretty boss that those games are actually properly licenced

Welcome to the forum, atarianallstar. Glad you found some fun and enjoyment owning the console.

For more impressive and advanced titles of the system, you may want to look into acquiring Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants, Commando, Basketbrawl, and Alien Brigade.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Thanks for the Protips! Lucky for me Midnight mutants was already included when I purchased the system and also the fantastic (saracsm) Karateka. Since then i picked up Desert falcon , DK jr and Xevious. I also moded the psu connector so that it accepts standard sega sms power supplies. I love basketbrawl on the lynx so I'll try to check that out. Ninja golf also looks right up my ally. Ikari warrios and commando seem to be the must own games on the system

I have to pictures to share. The first is my purchase of that day. 100 euro for everything you see in that picture and the second one is a the toy catalog from my childhood.

post-39513-0-16128400-1441912246_thumb.jpg

post-39513-0-90026800-1441912908_thumb.jpg

Edited by atarianallstar
  • Like 3

Welcome and congrats on securing a 7800. My favorite games are Asteroids (with StarPlex Controller) and Midnight Mutants.

I've also purchased the following homebrews. All are excellent IMHO and available in the AA Store.

• Asteroids Deluxe
  • Astro Blaster
  • B*nQ
  • Beef Drop
  • Crazy Brix
  • Frenzy
  • Jr. Pac Man
  • Moon Cresta
  • Pac Man Collection
  • Scramble
  • Space Invaders

• 2 weeks later...

After getting a Lynx for my birthday in 1993 ,a Jaguar in 1998 free from telegames and countless of VCS's I finally got the Atari 7800! Huzzah. So far I'm loving it. Granted the games are far from NES or SMS quality but still it is fun to finally got one. I have a couple of questions however.

How do you see the difference between PAL and NTSC games when purchasing on ebay?

those arcade ports available in the Atari age store, are they officially licenced?

Where can I purchase those cool looking prototypes on card?

Well that's it for now back to Xevious!

Congrats!

But I'd have to say that there are more than a few 7800 games in its library that are up to NES quality, if not better than the NES versions.

Commando

Ikari Warriors

Ballblazer

Alien Brigade [a substitute for Operation Wolf]

Xevious

Good luck with adding titles to your library!

• Like 1

Atari-anal-star :-o

I get it.. :grin:

Like the movie in "The Big Lebowski" where he 'fixes' the 'cable' called "Logjammin'"

"I am expert."

Also, welcome to the group of owners of 7800's! I've had three or four in the past and am happy with the one I have now. The odd power supply connector, VCS/2600 sound, weird controllers, and limited library of titles often shoo away people from it. Backwards compatibility, sweet design, and the fact that many of the games are arguably better than, or at least on the level with, the NES continues to draw folks in.

I got my first as a birthday gift from my psychotic mother back when they were $50 at Odd Lots (and she was a tad less crazy). My brother and I absolutely adored Double Dragon and played it a LOT! It was held back for release (a mistake in my opinion) for a couple of years and didn't really make a great imprint on the market in spite of it's capabilities.

Homebrewers are showing off it's high color and resolution with increasingly more awesome titles like...

The WIP Bullet Festival...

...and the remakes of old classics like..

Beefdrop (BurgerTime)...

...and Pacman Plus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QDBPeOd4Ag

Unreleased titles from back in the day like...

Sirus

...and Plutos

And superior titles when compared to many other systems like...

Donkey Kong

Ms. Pacman

Galaga

Joust

...and MUCH MORE!

It's a wise choice!

(plus you can get my game about to be released...Titan Axe!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GUQmKNar_A

:P :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I would strongly suggest you to change your username, every time I read it I miss one of the two L in ALL and it becomes something else. If you like ALL STAR then drop the AN before it.

Just a suggestion, but it gave me the chuckles ;-)

A few years ago I joined a fantasy football league w/ some coworkers and chose the name "AnAllmanBrother." I did not know that the name was displayed in all lower-case on the site. :(

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

great set of games you picked up as well. I had impossible mission but got swipped at convention I was at.

I recently got back to my 7800 after buying a power supply from atariguides on ebay. now I'm going to start looking for the games I'm missing

mario bros,double dragon and impossible mission. before I decide to go buy others.