IGNORED

VisualbB on windows 10

mehguy

Have you tried compiling a program from the bB page without making any changes to it?

And if you are talking about having a black screen when using the playfield editor, take a look at this:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#trouble_black_editor

Do your folder names and file names have spaces in them? If they do, try using no spaces or using underscores instead of spaces and see if anything changes. For example, if your folders look something like this:

C:\Atari2600\bb\projects\super_alien_poop

and your latest .bas file is called something like this:

super_alien_poop_2015y_09m_11d_1946t.bas

You shouldn't have any problems.

yeah when i click on the install_win file, it comes up with this error:

ECHO is off.
The bB installation batch file v1.1
-----------------------------------
Permanently setting the bB variable to:
C:\Atari 2600\bB\bB.1.1d.reveng37
ERROR: Invalid syntax. Default option is not allowed more than '2' time(s).
Type "SETX /?" for usage.
Setting the bB variable failed. This batch file requires SETX, which comes
with WinXP SP2, Windows Vista, and later versions of the Windows.
You should obtain a copy of SETX and re-run this script, or set the bB
variable manually.
Edited by mehguy

RevEng said "install_win.bat requires SETX, which comes with Windows XP SP2 and later versions of Windows. If you don't have SETX on the system the batch file will let you know and explain the situation."

Also, about an earlier question, take a look at this:

C:\Atari 2600\bB\bB.1.1d.reveng37

Do you see a space? I do.

Oh lol, I fixed the space.

So now, the win_bat file is displaying this:

ECHO is off.
The bB installation batch file v1.1
-----------------------------------
Permanently setting the bB variable to:
C:\Atari2600\bB\bB.1.1d.reveng37
SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.
Updating the user PATH variable so this bB directory is your primary
SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.
You should re-open vbb or any command-line windows so they take on the new
bB variable value.
You should re-run this batch file if you ever change the location of the bB
directory.
I suppose thats correct right?

So then its fine?

Success usually means everything is fine.

I'm still getting that default.bas error that I mentioned above. Granted, it only happens when there is in error in the command line.

What kind of error in the command line? If you are using VbB, you don't have to mess around with command line stuff. It's all done for you.

• 5 years later...

v568 will immediatly close a couple seconds after loading.

v554 works but it no longer remembers the path variable. Every time I open it, it thinks it's the first time. Running the winbat gives me a "missing SETX" error.

This is driving me insane. I'm really hating Win10. It ran well at first.

There also seem to be some odd issues with the score, where it no longer recognizes the default files as valid .asm files. I don't know for certain but I believe it's now causing programs that used to compile to crash now.

4 hours ago, freshbrood said:

v568 will immediatly close a couple seconds after loading.

v554 works but it no longer remembers the path variable. Every time I open it, it thinks it's the first time. Running the winbat gives me a "missing SETX" error.

This is driving me insane. I'm really hating Win10. It ran well at first.

There also seem to be some odd issues with the score, where it no longer recognizes the default files as valid .asm files. I don't know for certain but I believe it's now causing programs that used to compile to crash now.

Are you following step 3?

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#install_vbb

I feel at sometime people might be better served moving on to Atari Dev Studio.

It's been a while since Visual BB has had an update?

I recently updated my "batari BASIC kickstart" to explain how to set up and run Atari DeV Studio. https://alienbill.com/2600/bbkickstart/

I know I'm biased: I really love making tools for graphics and sound (https://alienbill.com/2600/ has 'em) and I think people are better served treating atari source code as text... or at least i could never get my head around what was going on in Visual BB. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kisrael said:

I know I'm biased: I really love making tools for graphics and sound (https://alienbill.com/2600/ has 'em) and I think people are better served treating atari source code as text... or at least i could never get my head around what was going on in Visual BB. 

I still use VbB on my Windows 10 computer. It has so many tools that Atari Dev Studio doesn't have so far. One thing that VbB has that I don't like is the stupid ancient built-in browser that you need to disable the first time you run VbB. After you get past that, it has a code editor, a sprite editor, a playfield editor, a score editor, a music and sound effects editor, a graphics converter, a Title Screen Kernel editor, and probably a few other things that I'm forgetting.

It would also be hard to give up all of the code editor options in the right click menu that include Audit Variables, Audit Goto/GosubFind NextFind LabelIdentify Current BankForce Minimum Spacing, Flip Text, and Add Bookmark.

• Like 3

Yeah, I know it's a different approach to thinking about code that I don't quite "get".

Since I've been programming for a long time, "the code is basically text" is very deeply intuitive to me.

(I did use actual Visual Basic for a while, so I kind of understand the goal of making things "visual"... but it always has to get filtered down into something DASM can understand)

I do worry a lot of people find VbB overwhelming, my self included, even after the broken browser thing. And of course, Mac users are out of luck. Still, ADS is so easy to install!

I really would like to see Atari Dev Studio + my tools (and others) have full capabilities of VbB, it's great that you can list them out.