IGNORED

Is it possible to actually become good at Checkered Flag?

sirlynxalot

I saw an interesting discussion in another thread, about how given limited selection when some of us were younger, we'd put lots of time into games that were not particularly remarkable, and after painstaking long hours, were able to beat them and be good at them.

Is Checkered Flag a game that one could get good at if you invest dozens of hours? Or is the turning system so dysfunctional that it would be unrealistic to expect a human to be able to regularly not crash into the walls? Thoughts?

If you use the steering patched version and run it in VJ so its much quicker that it should be, then yes. Otherwise, no.

You are so correct sir! I am a huge racing game fanatic and I love World Tour Racing, and yes, Checkered Flag was a game I really tried to perfect as it was an open wheel racer on the Jag. But it's just so hard to really be "consistent" at controlling the car and running laps the same way every lap due to the controls and framerate. But holy crap, it truly is a lot better in Virtual Jaguar! I actually enjoy the game quite a bit running it in VJ and wish it would have come out that way in the first place. I do enjoy the plain look of the game and it is quirky enough to be somewhat interesting. Playing it on the Jag, you can get used to it if you really go for it and there can be a little fun, but realistically the controls and framerate just ruin it.

• Like 1

If you really want to do something like this for the Jag, then Supercross 3D is a more realistic option. If you try hard enough you can eventually get past the crap-factor on that one. Checkered Flag is a lost cause.

In general I'd say pick up a game called Speedzone for the Wii. It's a fairly pretty game but the learning curve for the wonky controls is completely insane. Spend enough time with it though and unlocking all the tracks is extremely satisfying. The game definitely makes you work for it. Been playing it once and a while for a year or so and I still can't get 1st place on the final track.

• Like 3

I saw an interesting discussion in another thread, about how given limited selection when some of us were younger, we'd put lots of time into games that were not particularly remarkable, and after painstaking long hours, were able to beat them and be good at them.

Is Checkered Flag a game that one could get good at if you invest dozens of hours? Or is the turning system so dysfunctional that it would be unrealistic to expect a human to be able to regularly not crash into the walls? Thoughts?

I bought it new in 1994 and played it a lot. Your instincts are correct.

You don't turn like you would in a normal racing game. Ease into every turn. If the turn deepens, don't press harder on the joypad as if you were increasing rotation of a steering wheel. That might be your instinct, but it's wrong in Checkered Flag world. You want to tap the d-pad in the direction you want to go. The game actually has audio feedback for this, the sound of screening tires.

You know you're taking a turn correctly when you hear a rhythmic screeching of the tires: [tap] "screech" [tap] "screech" [tap] "screech." If you just deepen the turn by pressing harder on the joypad, you will definitely careen into the wall. If you tap, you will take the turn with ease.

I know this all sounds ridiculous, but keep in mind I could probably still be a finalist in a Kasumi Ninja tournament if allowed to use Chagi and wear the packed-in headband. With these facts in mind, you might also be surprised to know I was desperately single throughout the 90s.

Edited by Schmudde
  • Like 3

You know you're taking a turn correctly when you hear a rhythmic screeching of the tires: [tap] "screech" [tap] "screech" [tap] "screech." If you just deepen the turn by pressing harder on the joypad, you will definitely careen into the wall. If you tap, you will take the turn with ease.

While that might be an impressive or necessary solution to combatting the *enormous* input lag in Checkered Flag, it is not at all the way the game was meant to be played. Tapping likely brings some success as it seems they heightened the effect of player input in an attempt to disguise as the hideous input lag as best they could... your tapping merely allows time for the game to catch up with what you asked of it many frames ago is a safer and more controlled manner then, shock horror, holding down a button :0)

All you need for proof of this is to play the game in Virtual Jaguar. It becomes responsive, playable, actually borders on being fun. You can complete laps at full speed without a hint of a spin or a slide with only a little practise.

The game was rushed. The programmers knew what they wanted and had a plan on getting there... but seem to have been left with an impossible deadline and only a band aid botch to the controller input to offer rather than some serious optimising and streamlining of their code.

• Like 1

It really does kinda suck that it turned out so badly. I've been playing that game since it was released and every time I decide to go after it, I'm disappointed. I just want the game to be good. Yes, you can better your lap times the more laps you do and the more you play as to be expected as you learn the tracks, but it would have been nice for it to just be done right. I still say the plain graphics are nice, though there's not a lot happening on most of the tracks. I still love the two people standing around the finish line of the Green Valley (please correct me if I'm wrong) track.

Checkered Flag isn't meant to be played, at all.

The worst cart it seems to be (Yoda speaking).

It's just that the colors in the Jaguar games are so interesting, always a little darker than earlier systems basic color scheme, that makes them playable even though they suck gameplaywise.

No matter what, I will not pick it up. You spoke - I listened.

• Like 2

With enough patience I think one could get the hang of it. I have managed to finish all the races in tournament mode and got a 2nd place score. I find if you zoom the screen as far out as possible that the framerate seems to improve and its easier to turn. I haven't really given it a good play through recently but when I first bought it in 1994 I got pretty good at it. I think I may give it another playthrough soon.

A strategy I used recently to good effect to make the game a little more playable, is to switch to manual transmission, and then pretty much keep the car one or two gears down for the final gear. Since you can't blow your transmission in the game, this artificially keeps your car at a speed that you can better drive it around the track at with normal human reflexes.

• Like 2

A strategy I used recently to good effect to make the game a little more playable, is to switch to manual transmission, and then pretty much keep the car one or two gears down for the final gear. Since you can't blow your transmission in the game, this artificially keeps your car at a speed that you can better drive it around the track at with normal human reflexes.

I put a little time into learning CF when I used some footage for the game in a video. In regard to controlling the speed, thats what I did, you can kick it up to the final gear when the road is straight but it's way too twitchy to use when going around corners unless you can time to precision.

one thing i found kind of weird when I was playing once, I stopped driving and all the other cars stopped completely too. There were some other wonky things I noticed about the AI too, but forget now.

It is possible to get good at the game BUT I strongly believe it isn't worth it nor does it make the game that much better.

Yeah basically what everyone else has said you can get over wacky control by slowing down on the curves and using the very far away view, then learn to tap on the direction you want to go...at that point the AI cheats or does wacky things.

If you get past that their isn't much to the game the pit stops are empty, the challenge is mainly bad controls.

This game was so bad when I had the Jag back in 94 It was returned and Dino Dudes was bought instead.

I agree the game could've been a decent clone of VR Racing. But Atari rushed it for whatever reason, I know 94, they had a hard time with very few released games, but this didn't help the case, it looks like VR Racing on screen shots, but plays awful.

If you want a fun racer I would get Super Burnout.

Even Club Drive is better than Checkered Flag.

Power Drive Rally is another fun racer shot overhead like Super Off Road or RC Pro AM.

I'm told Atari racers is also good but it cost $100 to $200 now a days.

While I agree that putting a lot of time into Checkered Flag probably isn't something you should really bother with, I just hate thinking what could have been for the game. I would have loved to have seen the game more like Super Burnout. Big sprites moving smoothly across the screen. Too bad Atari was stuck on the 3D aspect of the system. I have always felt that World Tour Racing was more of a Checkered Flag than Checkered Flag ever was. The game and system banners in World Tour Racing always reminded me of Checkered Flag for the Lynx.

@Pete5125

Atari Karts is a good game, but just not worth that kind of money IMO unless you're trying to finish your collection off. The graphics are actually quite good, especially the castle track. I think that one is a sight to behold and really showed some how nice the artwork was. It is definitely a good game and worth a buy if you can find it for a reasonable price.

Edited by JaguarGod

Yes, it IS possible to become good at the game. Sometime between '96 and '98 I spent a few hours one day, determined to play through the game and did. I drove using manual transmission (automatic will get too fast to control too quickly) and rarely went above 3rd gear. The slower speed helps to maintain control of the car and (up to a point) the enemy AI doesn't seem to care how fast you go... they adjust their speed accordingly. The better you race, the better they race; the worse you race, the worse they race (again, to a certain point).

The game does have an ending. I took pictures of it with my 35mm camera (long before the days of digital pictures). I kind of enjoyed the game -- I really wanted to like it. However, I've never made the effort to play through again, so that probably says it all.