IGNORED

Is it possible to actually become good at Checkered Flag?

sirlynxalot

Honestly, why are people spending so much time trying to squeeze some fun out of what is ultimately a terrible game?

Not speaking for anyone else (nor am I speaking about Checkered Flag in particular), but I often enjoy "terrible" games more than acclaimed ones.

I recently played through Hover Strike (the cart version), and even though it's often infuriating and has major flaws, somehow I got more out of playing that vs. some of the cookie-cutter 5th gen FPS games I've encountered. And I'm not a Jaguar partisan by any stretch of the imagination -- Hover Strike is the first Jaguar game I've actually beaten.

All too often "good" games bore the hell out of me, which isn't too much of a surprise since I'm often drawn to cheesy movies and oddball music that blur(s) the line between good and bad. That said I have a hard time seeing myself putting major time into a poor-quality racing game -- but I can never predict which games will pull me in and which won't.

• Like 2

Not speaking for anyone else (nor am I speaking about Checkered Flag in particular), but I often enjoy "terrible" games more than acclaimed ones.

I recently played through Hover Strike (the cart version), and even though it's often infuriating and has major flaws, somehow I got more out of playing that vs. some of the cookie-cutter 5th gen FPS games I've encountered. And I'm not a Jaguar partisan by any stretch of the imagination -- Hover Strike is the first Jaguar game I've actually beaten.

All too often "good" games bore the hell out of me, which isn't too much of a surprise since I'm often drawn to cheesy movies and oddball music that blur(s) the line between good and bad. That said I have a hard time seeing myself putting major time into a poor-quality racing game -- but I can never predict which games will pull me in and which won't.

And of course one's perception of a game entirely changes one's opinion. I enjoy many aspects of CF and as it was the first game I ever played on Jaguar two year back, I have an inclination to enjoy it... If I'm here now I guess it says something about that game...

What's wrong with Bubsy? It's a fun game... Right?

Yes, it's a fun game if you can play it until you are pretty good at controlling it. It's flaw is instant death by the first touch, which turns a lot of people off of it, including myself, until I discovered the control to glide/fly, which changes the game dynamic drastically and makes it much more playable. Though the instant death by one touch makes it a very hard game.

Back in time, there was an excuse to try.

Anyone who remembers spending all their hard earned cash on a 2600 game only to plug it in and be utterly devastated by what appears on screen knows what it's like to play a crappy game in the hope of making your purchase seem less toxic.

20 years later, this is not an issue. Checkered Flag (and, yes, Bubsy) are both crap games. There's no excuse in 2015 to even bother trying to be good at either. Much like Supercross, the only reason to own them would be to fill that gap on the shelf.

• Like 4

Bubsy sucks even if you are good at controlling it. It's just a perfect example of sh***y game design. Only the apologists or those that haven't played better will disagree with me.

(waits for the flames)

I think you just need a new perspective. I enjoy it very much <3 then again I like Checkered Flag and Kasumi Ninja, so my opinion is the pinch of salt 'D

Checkered Flag (and, yes, Bubsy) are both crap games. There's no excuse in 2015 to even bother trying to be good at either. Much like Supercross, the only reason to own them would be to fill that gap on the shelf.

You had me right up until Supercross CJ. Then, I'm sorry... you crossed the line. If you we're actually good at the game, I'm sure you'd feel differently. Supercross is a game that requires skill, capability and dexterity. But you wouldn't understand. Maybe if you spent more time getting good at Supercross instead of saying it's sh*tty. Maybe then you'd understand. Maybe then. But then only maybe. Maybe not? Who knows? Maybe?

### Places CJ on ignore ###

Yeah. That's right. Come back when you've learned how to be good at Supercross. Maybe then we can talk. Until then. Maybe...

• Like 5

You had me right up until Supercross CJ. Then, I'm sorry... you crossed the line. If you we're actually good at the game, I'm sure you'd feel differently. Supercross is a game that requires skill, capability and dexterity. But you wouldn't understand. Maybe if you spent more time getting good at Supercross instead of saying it's sh*tty. Maybe then you'd understand. Maybe then. But then only maybe. Maybe not? Who knows? Maybe?

### Places CJ on ignore ###

Yeah. That's right. Come back when you've learned how to be good at Supercross. Maybe then we can talk. Until then. Maybe...

OUCH! :rolling:

Man, are people uptight on AA lately or what?? Seems everyone's bitching everyone out these days. And over the stupidest shit, like differing opinions. :(

(or is the joke lost on me this time? becoming tough to tell any more)

• Like 1

With a name like NeoGeoNinja, I hope you've also mastered Riding Hero, the best 2D motorcycle game ever.

Hahaha! Absolutely not. That game has become one of those titles though that, is apparently, so poor, that I somehow want to pick it up to try it. But, to hark back to Cyrano's point earlier, I really can't be arsed buying sh*tty games, just to fill shelf space and, I feel RHero is, most probably, just that. However, I will say, on a per-percentage basis, there really hasn't been many NeoGeo games i have played that have ever been anywhere near bad. At worst, average. Maybe RHero falls below the bar though, huh?

NEEGEOO NEEDID SUPACRISS, DIN IT?

OUCH! :rolling:

Man, are people uptight on AA lately or what?? Seems everyone's bitching everyone out these days. And over the stupidest shit, like differing opinions. :(

(or is the joke lost on me this time? becoming tough to tell any more)

It was a joke, haha. :)

Hahaha! Absolutely not. That game has become one of those titles though that, is apparently, so poor, that I somehow want to pick it up to try it. But, to hark back to Cyrano's point earlier, I really can't be arsed buying sh*tty games, just to fill shelf space and, I feel RHero is, most probably, just that. However, I will say, on a per-percentage basis, there really hasn't been many NeoGeo games i have played that have ever been anywhere near bad. At worst, average. Maybe RHero falls below the bar though, huh?

NEEGEOO NEEDID SUPACRISS, DIN IT?

Riding Hero does fall quite a bit below the bar. It still looks like a Neo-Geo game at least, but if I recall correctly the hit detection was pretty awful and guys had a tendency to blindside you from behind--bad AI.

• Like 1

Riding Hero does fall quite a bit below the bar. It still looks like a Neo-Geo game at least, but if I recall correctly the hit detection was pretty awful and guys had a tendency to blindside you from behind--bad AI.

If only Riding Hero had a free play mode where the game was playable if you didn't leave first gear and didn't race against anyone else. Sadly such advanced features were only available on the Jag.

• Like 3

If only Riding Hero had a free play mode where the game was playable if you didn't leave first gear and didn't race against anyone else. Sadly such advanced features were only available on the Jag.

If only Checkered Flag had a mode where it was laughed out of the office and cancelled before it was burned into thousands of innocent carts that could have happily gone on to become Supercross....

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 3

But the real question is: which one is better Checkered Flag or Club Drive?

This reminds me of the reaction that a friend on mine had, once another friend of mine asked him if he'd prefer my then last partner prospect or my then latest prospect .... he said ... and I quote .... "I'd take the wall, any day".

Well he wasn't completely off-base I was back then in my "beer goggles" phase, but I grew out of it.

Edited by phoenixdownita

But the real question is: which one is better Checkered Flag or Club Drive?

This reminds me of the reaction that a friend on mine had, once another friend of mine asked him if he'd prefer my then last partner prospect or my then latest prospect .... he said ... and I quote .... "I'd take the wall, any day".

Well he wasn't completely off-base I was back then in my "beer goggles" phase, but I grew out of it.

The difference between poo flavoured chocolate and chocolate flavoured poo.

• Like 2