IGNORED

WTB: The case screws to a colecovision console

gokugohandave

Long time ago I took apart my colecovisiont to try and fix it, turned out it was the power supply. Well I lost the screws that hold the case together and faceplate behind the silver plaque.Id like to get these off of a unit someone is going to throw away or whatever. Maybe a good faceplate as well because I bent the silver label peeling it off, and some possible instructions on putting one back on without bending a new one.

Edited by gokugohandave

You didn't have to peel off the sticker to get the coleco open, I don't understand why so many people thought that when I as a 8 or 9 year old just undid the screws and took it apart without even thinking of removing the sticker. However you definitely were not alone. I think there is some thread somewhere where people made a new sticker. Or maybe they just talked about making one. I would do a search.

To buy a set of screws won't break the bank, probably won't even cost over $1.00, but what you could do is take the case with you to the local hardware store to see what size you need and you can also measure the depth of the plastic screw posts to get a pretty good idea of the length that is needed. Heck, if you got an Ace Hardware near you, there are a lot of old-timers that work in these stores that love to figure stuff out like this for their customers.

As far as taking apart and putting back together the CV case without messing up the front bezel, there is an article linked in the "CV & ADAM Information" pinned thread that details the process step by step... there's also lots of other great info in that thread that is well worth the read. This same information is available in the CV Technical Manual by Coleco that is available at http://ann.hollowdreams.com .

You didn't have to peel off the sticker to get the coleco open, I don't understand why so many people thought that when I as a 8 or 9 year old just undid the screws and took it apart without even thinking of removing the sticker. However you definitely were not alone. I think there is some thread somewhere where people made a new sticker. Or maybe they just talked about making one. I would do a search.

Take the top part of it to a Home Depot or Lowes and go to the screw section. Find one about an inch long that fits the threads (the holes the screws screw into are in the top part of the case). They are like a wood screw in that they are pointy and have very wide threads (definitely not machine or sheet metal screws)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if the OP ever figured out the screw dilemma but here's a couple pics of mine..

post-37932-0-43103700-1444055988_thumb.jpgpost-37932-0-45704400-1444056077_thumb.jpg

The screw is just under 17.80mm or .7 inches long, philips head. I wouldn't say the threads are course, more on the fine side.

It sticks up through the bottom screw boss about 3/8, where it'll bite into the top half of the case.

You could get screws close in size I'm sure.. Hopefully this helps.

They are #6 X 5/8" sheet metal screws. About 12 cents a piece if you have an old school hardware store that sells them individually, or about $4 for a box of 100.

Now wait for the set of 12 NOS ColecoVision screws auctions to start popping up on Ebay.

• Like 3