IGNORED

Disabling protection violation on cassette games in xb

MrGonker

I read on here somewhere that someone had this problem on Mazeman and got it disabled in order to save and list the code, but I never did see how they did this. I know the manual says it can't be undone but then I read about a call load statement but I could never get this to work. Does anyone know how to do this with extended basic cart and a tape game that was saved with protected ?

There was a save image program by Maple Leaf Software that I used eons ago to transfer cassette software (in fact, any PROGRAM image, including ToD games) over to disk. It even transferred the protected XB programs. I don't remember what it was called.

XB programs, per Ksarul, are easy to unprotect with the CALL INIT, CALL LOAD (-31931,0). However, some sneaky coders actually embedded assembly, or some sneaky protection routine in their code that if you unprotected it and tried to list it, it would hose up VDP RAM and make you have to hard reset. I forget some of the software that did that (wasn't it ToD editor or something else?) See "Disk Fixer - Hidden Powers" by Bill Gronos. He did a great job describing how to do this.

• Like 1