IGNORED

32k "sidecar" need

arcadeshopper

Getting a bunch (5 at least) of people buying carts that need 32k that just have a console.. Wish I had a stack of sidecar 32k's to sell them :)

Greg

Marc Hull does a damn fine job of installing a 32k chip in a console. He was offering that service a few months back and I took advantage of it.

Works great for the 2meg and 1 meg game carts.

Why don't the 2 of you join forces?

Gazoo

• Like 2

Marc Hull does a damn fine job of installing a 32k chip in a console. He was offering that service a few months back and I took advantage of it.

Works great for the 2meg and 1 meg game carts.

Why don't the 2 of you join forces?

Gazoo

Interesting cept for the fact they'd have to ship their console OR change consoles.. Easier to plug in a card.. I am still working with richard to sell the 32k kits (easier install) for the consoles too.. someday . I have about 12 extra consoles in various stages of beat up (ex-classroom consoles) would love to toss a 32k mod, f18a and a new keyboard in a couple of those and resell them.

Greg

• Like 1

In an ideal world, we would create a small, AMS-compliant sidecar memory expansion (nothing too fancy, maybe 256 or 512k or so). This would be useful for everyone, from PEB owners over nanoPEB owners (assuming one can mask the onboard 32k on the nanoPEB?) to bare console owners who want to use some of the fantastic carts created recently. Fairly low cost, east to build, readily available. I think that might be a successful product/

• Like 2

What's all needed circuitwise on the sidecar?

It's relatively easy to make an edgecard PCB with a 32K SRAM chip on it. In fact, I've been trying to find the time to have the framework done in ExpressPCB so make my ubersidecar cartridge concept board. It wouldn't be hard to put the pinout for a 32K chip on that, and maybe some other chip(s) (logic?) if needed. I'm just not sure what the TI is expecting on that sidecar with 32K.. probably not as much as is needed for if you're putting other stuff.

The hardest part is likely sourcing the 44 pin female connector to put on the other end. The actual edgecard with just 32K would be very small.

What's all needed circuitwise on the sidecar?

It's relatively easy to make an edgecard PCB with a 32K SRAM chip on it. In fact, I've been trying to find the time to have the framework done in ExpressPCB so make my ubersidecar cartridge concept board. It wouldn't be hard to put the pinout for a 32K chip on that, and maybe some other chip(s) (logic?) if needed. I'm just not sure what the TI is expecting on that sidecar with 32K.. probably not as much as is needed for if you're putting other stuff.

The hardest part is likely sourcing the 44 pin female connector to put on the other end. The actual edgecard with just 32K would be very small.

I too would like to be able to build a sidecar similar to the CF7+, but with the ability to plug into a sidecar floppy or PEB if desired. Yes a 32k only side car would likely be about the size of Corcomp interrupt switch, maybe slightly smaller, I would like it to be compatible with my multicom units also. I think this train of thought is good and I would be interested in such a device.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, all of the 44-pin connectors on that page are on .156 pin-to-pin spacing. We need connectors with .100 spacing. . .I have found several sources with the right type of connectors, but the inexpensive sources have pretty weak connectors--and the ones with higher quality connectors are very expensive, $7 to $10 each.