IGNORED

2600 Battlezone is terrible

ClintTX

Just took this game off my play list because of how bad it is. Everyone gets all worked up over the fancy graphics and 3D stuff, but the gameplay is lame. I had given it a chance (I don't usually play ports of any kind unless they are better or offer something different from the arcade). I play arcade games in MAME. I gave Battlezone a chance because I like tanks, and I wanted to like it, and it was really different from the arcade due to the conversion to the raster.

The problem is there are no obstacles to hide behind so you are out in the open and too vulnerable. It's an ok game until you get to 20k points of so and then tanks are spawning too fast and too close to you and you have no chance to avoid their fire. My best score is only about 50k. It just seems progress to the point that it is impossible too quickly, and no amount of skill or strategy will help.

I encourage every else to blacklist this game as well as there is really no reason people should be playing this game, when the awesome arcade version is available to play in MAME or even other much better later ports of the game.

I second with Vectorgamer. Robot Tank is an awesome game. Love the realism it provides changing the course of the day from dawn to daylight to dusk then dark. Also add in the weather elements with rain, snow, and fog to provide a greater challenge. Most tanks I blew up was 56 in that one. I want to get the 60 for the "Cross of Excellence". Battlezone is mediocre. The arcade version is waaaaaay better and the vector graphics really stands out.

The thing that kill Robot Tank for me is the fact that if you put the enemy behind you, it won't shoot at you. This seems ridiculous. The user guide even promotes this as a strategy.

I'm sorry, but that's like telling a fighter pilot that if you want to avoid an enemy fighter, just let him sit on your six.

I'd rather deal with a desolate obstacle free playfield with no place to hide, than an enemy that is deadly if I'm pointing my gun at it, but turns brain dead when I turn my back on him.

• Like 3

There are some problems with Robot Tank, yes, but that doesn't make 2600 Battlezone any better. I don't even see how it is possible to continually get to the super tanks phase without favorable tank spawns. Another big problem is tanks spawning near you when you are fighting one of those yellow and black things that come at you.

There are some problems with Robot Tank, yes, but that doesn't make 2600 Battlezone any better. I don't even see how it is possible to continually get to the super tanks phase without favorable tank spawns. Another big problem is tanks spawning near you when you are fighting one of those yellow and black things that come at you.

100% agree. Battlezone for me is purely a "nostalgia" play for me. The sounds are spot on. I have found that if you are constantly moving, you last much longer. My strategy for arcade battlezone is death for 2600 battle zone. In 2600 battle zone, I bead on the tank just long enough to take a shot and then turn off him at about 45 degrees. The computer has a very difficult time hitting you if you are abeam of them moving. I still get killed, but it does let me last longer.

Battlezone may not be as good as the arcade and it may not be for everyone. But I like it. I just played two games for the first time in many years and got 67000 on my first game and 109000 on the second game on level 3. The trick is always drive backwards, don't let the enemy tanks flank you on your 6, try to have them fire at you off screen and if they do fire at you on screen turn and keep moving backwards. Return fire only after they have fired at you. I do wish there were obstacles.

post-17-0-15070700-1442284766_thumb.png

• Like 1

I loved 2600 battlezone. I never seen or played the vector arcade version before.

I find the game is frantic later on. You never stop moving and never just turn in a spot or die. I was shocked to find the vector vesion was the arcade default and thought it was a total downgrade. For me

2600 battlezone is one of the 2600's greatest games.

• Like 2

The thing that kill Robot Tank for me is the fact that if you put the enemy behind you, it won't shoot at you. This seems ridiculous. The user guide even promotes this as a strategy.

I'm sorry, but that's like telling a fighter pilot that if you want to avoid an enemy fighter, just let him sit on your six.

I'd rather deal with a desolate obstacle free playfield with no place to hide, than an enemy that is deadly if I'm pointing my gun at it, but turns brain dead when I turn my back on him.

This is what makes robot tank lame.
  • Like 1

Battlezone is a game I've wanted a LONG, long, long, long time for my classic computer, but it looks like us TI'ers 'got nothin comin'. At least you 2600 folks have a version. I'm not picky, it does not have to have vector graphics, it does not have to be perfect. Some times it sucks having chosen the wrong computer so many years ago.

^ NOT shooting someone in the back used to be a code of honor my friend!

That's like being killed by a Predator who's cloaked. Only douchebags behave like that. :lol:

You are confusing code of honor with tactics.

Even when warfare was civilized, flanking maneuvers were used to gain a tactical advantage. The idea of placing the enemy behind me so he won't shoot me is the equivalent of peek a boo. If I can't see you, you're not there.

No.

Why not? Everyone pretty much agrees that it is not a fair game, and the only legitimate strategy is to drive backwards all time which is lame. It might as well have a built in time limit like Sea Wolf where your turn just ends. This game deserves to be in the landfill with E.T., and I'm going make sure they get there. Going to start buying them up on ebay and harassing sites which post the dump until they are all taken down and this port is forgotten.

Edited by ClintTX

Why not? Everyone pretty much agrees that it is not a fair game, and the only legitimate strategy is to drive backwards all time which is lame. It might as well have a built in time limit like Sea Wolf where your turn just ends. This game deserves to be in the landfill with E.T., and I'm going make sure they get there. Going to start buying them up on ebay and harassing sites which post the dump until they are all taken down and this port is forgotten.

First World Problem <facepalm>....Oh, and reality check. no one died and made you king....sorry.

Edited by p.opus

Much prefer Battlezone to Robot Tank. As much as Robot Tank's night day cycle and damage system is nice the actual shooting the other tanks is not as enjoyable as in Battlezone. I like the fact that in Battlezone you have to keep moving to avoid being shot. For me, the fact that you can be shot from anywhere makes it feel you are in a 3D environment more so than in Robot Tank where if it is off screen it might as well not exist.

• Like 2