IGNORED

Best easy games to play with the wife, kids, or non-gaming friends

Hey people,

When playing games with my fiance I always have the same issue: She is not great at games that are challenging and when she loses isn't having fun and doesn't want to play anymore.

What are your favorite good, easy games, that the whole family can enjoy, gamer and non gamer alike.

I have a Wii, and Wii sports is fun and everything, but i'm looking for more classic games here and less modern motion control stuff.

She liked Skiing for the 2600....lol

Thanks!!

How about Fishing Derby for the 2600? That should be pretty friendly..

Although not an easy game later on, perhaps Astrosmash for Intellivision?

It's tough to think of any since most of those older games cab be very challenging and sometimes unforgiving .. that's why I like them so much. :)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

Kirby epic yarn and return to dreamland are pretty fun and easy co-op platformers on the wii. Epic yarn is really easy when not aiming for 100% and you can't really die but still remains fun. Kirby dreamland 3 on snes an in the Kirby dream collection on with is another fun co-op platformer that isn't too difficult either.

• Like 1

-Indy 500 can be tons of fun against another person. The controls are incredibly simple and I like the tag and catch the dot modes as much or more than just racing.

-Basketball and Outlaw are good head-to-head fun and they're hilarious in their primitiveness.

-Frogs and Flies is a favorite of my kids and wife. (For added fun, point out that the frogs can lick each others' butts when they're sitting on the lily pads. Also works to distract your opponent. I can't be the only one that does this. Right?....Right???)

-Kaboom gets difficult of course, but it has a "one more time" factor that's hard to rival.

-Super Breakout. It's hard to go too far wrong with paddle games.

-Galaxian is a shooter that won't overwhelm a kid or non-gamer so quickly they get frustrated.

-Food Fight. Good simple fun. It's one of a handful of arcade-style games my wife will play.

NES

-Bubble Bobble is a good co-op. Cute characters, infinite lives/continues. Also gets the wife seal of approval.

-Tetris. nuf said

-Dr. Mario. More puzzle fun

-Pretty much any iteration of (non-Super) Mario Bros, but we probably play the NES version the most.

Kirby epic yarn and return to dreamland are pretty fun and easy co-op platformers on the wii. Epic yarn is really easy when not aiming for 100% and you can't really die but still remains fun. Kirby dreamland 3 on snes an in the Kirby dream collection on with is another fun co-op platformer that isn't too difficult either.

I'll agree with this one too, and add that any Kirby game (other than Kirby's Pinball Land) should be a fun and frustration-free experience for anyone who plays them. The most challenging of the Kirby games is probably Kirby's Adventure on the NES, but even that one shouldn't result in disheartening levels of challenge. Frogger on the 2600 is another great one that my wife loves. :)

For my 4 year old and 8 year old, we play beat em ups in MAME/CoinOps. You can have as many credits as you want, the games are simple fun, and if all else fails, you can even enable some cheats.

Cheats really levels the playing field when my youngest wants to play a game that is beyond him.

Any Mario Kart from "Mario Kart 64" on up. The slower karts are easy enough for a novice to handle and, on *most* versions (particularly the N64), the "rubber band" effect and weapons allows them to remain competitive. Keep your races on the 50cc mode and your fiancée should have lots of fun!

My wife isn't really into video games but if she does agree to play with me from time to time it's generally either some flavor of Mario Kart or Bust-A-Move.

You might try Trip'd on the 3DO. It's a puzzle game with bizarre aesthetics and a fairly modest challenge level.

My wife and I also played Super Bomberman: Panic Bomber World on the Super Famicom recently, and we were pretty much stuck in a stalemate for 20 minutes. It seems like another puzzle game that doesn't beat up on you too much.

Frog Bog and Utopia on the Intellivision are also fine choices for 2P action (all the games I'm suggesting are with 2P simultaneous play in mind). Also, Smithereens on the Odyssey², especially if you have the Voice module.

Try "World of Illusion" for the Genesis. I remember it being quite easy, and it has two player simultaneous.

Hey, I just picked this one up from the Goodwill last week! I haven't shown it to the kids yet. The Boy is 8 now though and there's a chance he's too cool for Mickey. I suppose if my only exposure to Mickey had been the lame-ass Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I'd have probably stopped liking the character at an early age too.

Edited by Yoss

When I sucked at games, I really liked Getaway! on a8. It's a maze game, but one with a safe zone in the center. How much nicer would pacman be if you had a place to stop and be invincible for a while until the ghosts passed?

Other than that, my wife tends to like puzzle bobble(bust-a-move) on neo geo, DDR on anything, and those stupid bejeweled-type games on facebook. Do what you will with that info.

I can see why people would recommend mario kart. It's a talentless slot machine that tries its hardest to punish any kind of talent. It sure doesn't get played in my house, though. No need to make the non-gamers happy at the cost of those who can actually hold a joystick. At that point, it's me that doesn't want to play games anymore--maybe we can all watch a movie instead...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1