IGNORED

Super Mario Maker, share your creations here.

Dashopepper

I have made 2 levels so far:

Pick your Poison - DB7A-0000-001C-63B8 I wanted to see if people would notice the alternate route but have not got any comments.

Wario Bros Mountain Adventure - 3996-0000-004A-F46E I decided to use the entire area and see if I could fill it with obstacles without being unfair.

I would like to get some feedback to know if my courses are fun. I am enjoying both playing and building immensely. My only complaints are the people who put one thing to get by and call it a level and although I am impressed with the design of the automatic levels, I don't want to play them.

Gary

I played and starred your levels yesterday - I played Pick Your Poison twice; the first time I noticed the block above and went up and over, and the second time I went along the bottom. Wario Bros Mountain Adventure was really well designed and good use of amiibo costumes :)

I played and starred this yesterday. Great level! I love the behaviour of the koopa shell - part normal level, part automated level :)

Thanks, much appreciated! I've got 5 stars now... I was hoping to unlock some more goodies before I did another upload. I'll have to play around some more. Not sure what I'll do just yet... Currently I'm halfway through the 100 man challenge (got 71 lives left so far so good) and have played some incredible fan creations...

I played and starred your levels yesterday - I played Pick Your Poison twice; the first time I noticed the block above and went up and over, and the second time I went along the bottom. Wario Bros Mountain Adventure was really well designed and good use of amiibo costumes :)

Thank you so much for the stars. I was frustrated by how short some of the levels are so I decided to use the whole available area. The Amiibo use was decided when I unlocked Waluigi and I thought it worked out well.

On Pick your poison I wondered if people would find the upper part so I'm glad that you went through both paths. Thanks again.

Gary

In other news, sadistic level beaten by expert gamer...

5/5 evil factor :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah, **** that level. I spent a good bit of time this morning attempting it. Figured out how to get past the second part, but just couldn't pull it off. The timing required is way too extreme. Ugh. That's some absolutely amazing play though by that guy in the video!

• Like 1

My second level: Bustin' Into Fort Knox

0712-0000-0061-3900

Use Mega Mario's big head to tunnel through solid gold...

My third level: Walk on Spikes; Fly with Fish

6307-0000-0068-AAC2

Mildly challenging. I almost entirely used assets out of the second build kit with this one...

Edited by stardust4ever

D3BB-0000-0049-1977 - Dinosaurs Attack! :Neat slight of hand I discovered by accident, I explain how its done in the comments if anyone's interested in using it.

1E2E-0000-0067-6EDB - The Great Sushi Escape! : You play as a squid escaping a kitchen.

Comments/Suggestions welcome!

My second level: Bustin' Into Fort Knox

0712-0000-0061-3900

Use Mega Mario's big head to tunnel through solid gold...

My third level: Walk on Spikes; Fly with Fish

6307-0000-0068-AAC2

Mildly challenging. I almost entirely used assets out of the second build kit with this one...

Your Star at the beginning of walk on spikes is kinda hard to get. Lots of stuff on the screen I didn't even realize it was there the first few times. As a rule of thumb I always add some more ground at the beginning because what they give you isn't enough of a runway. - Hope this helps

Your Star at the beginning of walk on spikes is kinda hard to get. Lots of stuff on the screen I didn't even realize it was there the first few times. As a rule of thumb I always add some more ground at the beginning because what they give you isn't enough of a runway. - Hope this helps

Thanks for playing! Yeah I could have given a runway. But the enemies come at you fast so you gotta act. Yeah maybe I could have moved the [?] block back so it doesn't drop in the pit. Good news is the tricky spot is at the beginning. I'm not an "expert" platformer so it takes 3 or 4 tries even for me sometimes. Might be a hit to your life counter though if you incounter it in 100 Mario mode. IMO, there's nothing worse than a long level that kills you with the goal barely out of reach so best to do it at the start. Rest of the level is a breeze but you have to obtain the Helicopter suit to cross the chasm. I added an arrow out of coins for guidance. There's ample time to grab the next star as long as you don't dally around. I actually deleted several star boxes because having too many broke the pacing of the level.

Or I could have gone Kaizzo style and not supplied any powerups but make you jump across the flying fishies and bloopers. :evil: I'm not that talented though... :P

And in Fort Knox, I supplied unbreakable platforms in the areas where you need to climb up through the bricks. It's nigh impossible to climb straight up a vertical chasm without unbreakable steps. The key to not falling into the pit is not to jump when you reach the bottom. Hold B and run across. Mega Shroom unlocks with the pixel Mario Amiibo, and apparently a faux CRT effect too...

Edited by stardust4ever

Well exploits have already been found. You can make yourself invincible by aquiring a level 2 powerup, taking damage, then entering a door on spikes. If Nintendo patches this, it will make existing levels impossible... :ponder:

100% Impossible...

9301-0000-004C-26E6

I did not make this...

Edited by stardust4ever

A new course in Super Mario World style: Bowser Manor: The Chase II - D11A-0000-0078-D443

After I did the Chase where Bowser rides a cloud to chase you and less than 2% of the players have completed it, I decided to make my original idea of Bowser starting at the beginning and chasing you through the level on foot. I gave many mushroom power ups to make it easier and would like to know what you think.

Gary

Edited by heberts811

Just came across this thread. Looking forward to trying some of the creations here...

One of my first ideas when getting this game was to attempt to create a "re-imagining" of the four levels from Donkey Kong. It's taken quite some time but I have the first two levels finished (which I call "It's On Like Donkey Kong")

Part 1("Barrel" stage) 5331-0000-007B-19FE

Part 2 ("Pie Factory" stage) 4050-0000-007B-1B57

Hopefully I will have Part 3 finished in the next few days. It will be a while before I have Part 4 finished though. I have barely started it, and it's going be the most difficult to re-create.

I'm really enjoying Super Mario Maker. Creating levels is far more engrossing than I expected and there have been some great user created levels uploaded already. My only complaints with the title are the fact the last thing you unlock is sub-worlds, you can't search for users and the 10 level upload limit. I do understand why they only allow ten levels initially, but it is quite hard to get enough stars to expand beyond this limit.

I would really love some feedback on my levels so if anyone would like to try them out the details are below. I've noticed that most of my levels have a low completion rating, which tells me that they are either too hard, have an unbalanced difficulty or just aren't much fun! I'd like to think it's a difficulty, but I don't think they're that hard and I'm not a Mario savant.

Title: Fuzzy Was A Woman

Code: 4F33-0000-0047-2915

Description: A short underground level with multiple paths suited to different skill levels.

Title: Kuribo Towers

Code:82BF-0000-0047-6F8D

Description: Welcome to Kuribo Towers, home of the Goomba. Can Mario make it through the Goomba city unharmed? Don't be afraid of Lakitu; he can be your friend!

Title: Starfish?

Code: D4BF-0000-004B-EB98

Description: Mario takes a trip under water. It may be a short swim, but there is a big shoal of fish in the way. Luckily there is a power up and an invincibility star if you can find them...

Title: Welcome to Koopa's Lair

Code: DE63-0000-004B-ECBC

Description: The King of the Koopas is ready to give Mario a warm welcome to his lair. Fire bars and flame pits will ensure Mario has to be on his toes. Watch out for the dead end; you need to find a lift to get to the King.

Title: Bowser Jr's Airship Port

Code: 79D4-0000-0052-F6A4

Description: Bowser has been amassing a large airship fleet again, which can only mean one thing: Trouble! The only thing for it is to take the fleet head on while it's still in port. It won't be easy though as the ships are armed with traps and Bowser Jr lays in wait.

Title: Boo's Little Cottage

Code: 38B0-0000-0058-A0E2

Description: As Mario continues his journey to save the Princess he encounters a quaint little cottage. Time for a break thinks Mario, but it turns out to be a trap. The house is haunted by Boos! Can you find your way to the hidden exit?

Title: Super Miracle World (Mt Eternal)

Code: 3F25-0000-0069-9A95

Description: Mario's adventure takes a strange turn as he finds himself in an alternate dimension where Sega ruled the roost during the 8-Bit era. The Mushroom Kingdom has transformed into Miracle World. This sounds like a job for Alex Kidd, but I guess Mario will have to do!

Title: Castle Dash

Code: DA79-0000-0077-2F6A

Description: Mario enters another one of Bowser's castles and sure enough a welcoming party has been sent to greet him. Fortunately for Mario there are some useful power ups that should make this a breeze so long as he doesn't slow down.

Title: Big Boo's House

Code: 7872-0000-0077-331E

Description: Another innocent looking house? Mario has learned his lesson from his last encounter with the spirits and knows he'll be in for a rough ride once inside. Will he be able to find the exit again or perhaps there is another way round?

Walk on Spikes Too. Now with glitch exploit! :evil:

4DB8-0000-007F-CA8F

Press and hold Up to enter the door. Continue to hold Up until Mario stops flashing. Now you can walk on spikes without a starman!!!

I also deleted two stages, the original "walk on spikes" (obsoleted), and "costume generator" since it was pointless.

Edited by stardust4ever

I'm really enjoying Super Mario Maker. Creating levels is far more engrossing than I expected and there have been some great user created levels uploaded already. My only complaints with the title are the fact the last thing you unlock is sub-worlds, you can't search for users and the 10 level upload limit. I do understand why they only allow ten levels initially, but it is quite hard to get enough stars to expand beyond this limit.

I would really love some feedback on my levels so if anyone would like to try them out the details are below. I've noticed that most of my levels have a low completion rating, which tells me that they are either too hard, have an unbalanced difficulty or just aren't much fun! I'd like to think it's a difficulty, but I don't think they're that hard and I'm not a Mario savant.

I like the Boo's cottage one a lot. It has a nice intro where you walk up to the house and it has the multiple pipe entrances. I think there is a lot you could do with that same set up. The level might be a little long and the end P switch part a little too difficult for most people.

The Alex kid one is a bit of a mess. I understood it and it looks like it took a ton of work but I'm not sure if there's a ton of fun factor there.

The most important thing you can do to get stars is to have someone play-test your levels while you watch. See were they die and get stuck. It's amazing how differently someone who didn't create the level will play it. Don't be afraid to delete an uploaded level (you keep your stars) and rework it to make it better. Once you get a "hit" level it will just keep getting stars on its own while your others will just continue to sit there. On my good levels its about 1 of 5 people seem to star it.

D70E-0000-007D-4ED4 - Pirate Ship Sneak Attack!

1B29-0000-0080-66C2 - Donut Drop, World 2! - I think this is my best level so far.

My in-game name is Rudolf BTW

Edited by Dashopepper

I like the Boo's cottage one a lot. It has a nice intro where you walk up to the house and it has the multiple pipe entrances. I think there is a lot you could do with that same set up. The level might be a little long and the end P switch part a little too difficult for most people.

The Alex kid one is a bit of a mess. I understood it and it looks like it took a ton of work but I'm not sure if there's a ton of fun factor there.

The most important thing you can do to get stars is to have someone play-test your levels while you watch. See were they die and get stuck. It's amazing how differently someone who didn't create the level will play it. Don't be afraid to delete an uploaded level (you keep your stars) and rework it to make it better. Once you get a "hit" level it will just keep getting stars on its own while your others will just continue to sit there. On my good levels its about 1 of 5 people seem to star it.

D70E-0000-007D-4ED4 - Pirate Ship Sneak Attack!

1B29-0000-0080-66C2 - Donut Drop, World 2! - I think this is my best level so far.

My in-game name is Rudolf BTW

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not sure how other people create their levels, but I generally think of a mechanic and see how that could be expanded. This is how I created Big Boo's House, which is really an evolution of the ideas from my earlier Boos Little Cottage level. Design iteration is probably the key there. Mind you I also like to imagine what the "story" of the level would be in an adventure, which is probably not something most people do.

Mind you I notice not too many people seem to have created SMW Ghost House levels or at least I don't come across them in 100 Mario Challenge. Pity as I quite like them.

Yeah I'm not convinced by the Alex Kidd level either. It was probably more interesting to create than it is to play. Since I'm a Sega Master System fan I was curious how Sega's Mario alike would work, but it seems like it doesn't. The fact that the game scrolls vertically made it difficult to translate and not being able to punch blocks meant parts of the level had to be altered to be playable. This is one really for a few die hard Alex Kidd fans, which is why it's a pity you can't share levels without uploading them to the main server. It would be nice to be able to share levels with other users directly.

I think your other tips make a lot of sense. It can be surprising how others react to a level differently than I expect. For example, I didn't spend long working on Starfish? as I'm not a massive fan of water levels, but people seem to like it (about 1 in 6 starred and 70% completion). In comparison some of the longer levels have completion rates of <5% even though I personally prefer them. I guess people prefer shorter levels especially since you can't include check points.

Good to know you don't lose stars for deleting levels. Will definitely use that. Unfortunately I don't have a play tester so I will have to base it on community feedback.

I'll definitely check out you levels tonight :)

Just made a short Blaster Master inspired level.

5FB7-0000-0082-0090

I'm not completely happy with it so gimme some feedback folks and I'll work it into v2.

Also played some more levels from this topic.

Just came across this thread. Looking forward to trying some of the creations here...

One of my first ideas when getting this game was to attempt to create a "re-imagining" of the four levels from Donkey Kong. It's taken quite some time but I have the first two levels finished (which I call "It's On Like Donkey Kong")

Part 1("Barrel" stage) 5331-0000-007B-19FE

Part 2 ("Pie Factory" stage) 4050-0000-007B-1B57

Hopefully I will have Part 3 finished in the next few days. It will be a while before I have Part 4 finished though. I have barely started it, and it's going be the most difficult to re-create.

Your Donkey Kong levels are pretty good. My only (constructive) feedback is that I think the ass end of pipes should always be covered by something. :) Makes it look more legit. I'd recommend shortening those pipes by one block then moving them down and putting blocks or ground to cover the ass ends. :)

That said, truly inspired level designs man!

Edited by dashv