IGNORED

Is there ANY possibility of a Boulder Dash Re-issue

p.opus

Having completely missed the boat on Boulder Dash, (I didn't even have a 2600 when it was released) I am wondering if there will ever be a re-issue.

I have heard that the game is pretty amazing on the 2600. I could technically upgrade my Harmony Cartridge to allow me to play the demo, my money would be better spent just purchasing the cartridge outright. Especially considering that the demo only includes two levels of the game.

Finding this game in the wild, is nigh impossible. The folks that spent the money for the limited release are not allowing it out of their sight, and for good reason. And while certain folks balked at the relatively high asking price during initial release, I guess we all know who's laughing now.

So the question is, are there any plans to ever do a re-issue of Boulder Dash? Or is it one of these games that due to it's extremely limited release will simply circulate between collectors with each transaction increasing due to the rarity of the title?

I've searched the forums and really haven't found anything regarding whether or not a re-issue of this title is within the realm of possibility.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

A tale of two bitter publishers, "the people have spoken"...

I'm not sure what this means. We had an agreement with First Star Software to publish 250 copies of Boulder Dash for the 2600. After an initial burst of sales, it took about a year to sell the remainder. So, I'm not sure how much demand is really there for another run. I'm sure we could sell a small number of copies fairly quickly, but it would take much longer to sell another run of, say, 250. New materials would need to be printed (boxes, for instance), and if you can't sell a certain number of games, you're either left with these materials or need to raise the price accordingly. We would also have to hammer out a completely new agreement between the parties involved to reissue the game.

It's pretty unlikely from where I'm sitting.

..Al

• Like 2

^ Exactly.

Just that Andrew's referenced the fact it took "so long" to sell the remaining copies (and comparing the sales of this release to other non-related releases) several times and Elektronite saying "the people have spoken" - which is why there isn't going to be a second run or even a ROM release. Just comes off as bitter to me.

I guess everybody involved were disappointed at the poor or slow sales of this particular release. :(

• Like 1

^ Exactly.

Just that Andrew's referenced the fact it took "so long" to sell the remaining copies (and comparing the sales of this release to other non-related releases) several times and Elektronite saying "the people have spoken" - which is why there isn't going to be a second run or even a ROM release. Just comes off as bitter to me.

I guess everybody involved were disappointed at the poor or slow sales of this particular release. :(

Whose Andrew?

I don't think anyone is bitter as far as the 2600 release goes. We did sell all the copies we made, and I'm glad to have had a role in bring Boulder Dash to the 2600, as it's one of my favorite Atari 8-bit computer games. Thomas and Andrew did a remarkable job in porting the game to the 2600, which is something I never expected to see.

The ROM release has nothing to do with sales of the game. That was dictated by First Star as part of our agreement with them.

..Al

• Like 2

^ Exactly.

As far as I know, Elektronite had nothing to with the Atari 2600 version, they are only responsible for the Intellivision version via a completely separate agreement with First Star. The Intellivision drama you refer to ("people have spoken") is completely seperate from the AtariAge release.

Whose Andrew?

The one belonging to Andrew's spouse and/or deity, assuming he has signed himself over to any.

(We're referring to Andrew Davie, one of the programmers of Atari 2600 Boulder Dash and the principle reason why the port exists.)

^ obviously! Not confusing the two releases - was just trying to make the argument that a re-run of BD on either platform is unlikely. :) :(

Maybe you didn't confuse the releases, but you did confuse the issue a bit with the "bitter publishers" comment. As Albert pointed out, there is no "bitterness" related to the 2600 version. A deal was struck, executed, and then done. Everyone got what they wanted out of it and then moved on. Davie has stated he is not inclined to rerelease the game in any format, online or otherwise, but that isn't bitterness, just motivation to stick to what he said he would do.

As for the Intellivision deal, maybe there is some bitterness there, but I got the impression the bitterness only flared up after the author stated there would be no ROM release due to slow sales and other people began crying foul. But either which way that's a discussion for another thread.

• Like 1

As for the Intellivision deal, maybe there is some bitterness there, but I got the impression the bitterness only flared up after the author stated there would be no ROM release due to slow sales and other people began crying foul. But either which way that's a discussion for another thread.

Yes, let's please leave that out of this thread.

The one belonging to Andrew's spouse and/or deity, assuming he has signed himself over to any.

(We're referring to Andrew Davie, one of the programmers of Atari 2600 Boulder Dash and the principle reason why the port exists.)

Maybe you didn't confuse the releases, but you did confuse the issue a bit with the "bitter publishers" comment. As Albert pointed out, there is no "bitterness" related to the 2600 version. A deal was struck, executed, and then done. Everyone got what they wanted out of it and then moved on. Davie has stated he is not inclined to rerelease the game in any format, online or otherwise, but that isn't bitterness, just motivation to stick to what he said he would do.

Reading Davie's statement I understand what you are saying, but reading his last sentence I can also see how someone might take it as a sense of frustration or bitterness that it took so long to sell the remaining unsold copies.

In any case...H2O under the bridge. It is what it is....time to move on. Thanks to all that responded.

oooooooooohhhhhh.....got it now....thanks!

Realistically it's up to a capable programmer to talk with the developers of Boulderdash 2600 and see how much of the engine could be re-used for a non-trademark infringing game. Call it "Dashing for Diamonds" or something. New levels. New title screen and music. New graphics.

Technically it's great they made a display kernel that doesn't use flicker, and is comprised of nearly just Playfield and one Player sprite.

The developers get asked about re-releasing, and although it is always a no, they are open to making a new game with their display kernel.

It will just be something original.

I just hope it doesn't take another 10 years like the development of BD took, (since the kernel is already worked out).

2600 Ballblazer Possible thread is another amazing display kernel when you realize both those independent scrolling checkerboards are just Background color with color changes happening during display!

• Like 1