IGNORED

Is there ANY possibility of a Boulder Dash Re-issue

p.opus

Bringing a dormant thread back...

I´ve read one thing or two about kickstarting a second batch, or even preordering + deposit.

Is there any possibility of this come true? Probably something like Albert setting a minimum batch number (e.g., 200 copies), and then everyone interested paid it upfront, in full or parcial (like 50-50) and the manufacturing would only take place when and if the minimum order number was reached?

Every once and a while we hear about people looking for it. Yes, and me included. :_(

Bringing a dormant thread back...

I´ve read one thing or two about kickstarting a second batch, or even preordering + deposit.

Is there any possibility of this come true? Probably something like Albert setting a minimum batch number (e.g., 200 copies), and then everyone interested paid it upfront, in full or parcial (like 50-50) and the manufacturing would only take place when and if the minimum order number was reached?

Every once and a while we hear about people looking for it. Yes, and me included. :_(

Not gonna happen, unless someone figures out how to dump it. Also, FirstStar recently shut down a game on Wii-U eShop that vaguely resembled Boulderdash, so even a new homebrew port reusing the old engine is unlikely. The fact they even allowed the original release is nothing short of a miracle.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/takedown_notice_may_spell_the_end_for_digger_dan_dx

Not gonna happen, unless someone figures out how to dump it. Also, FirstStar recently shut down a game on Wii-U eShop that vaguely resembled Boulderdash, so even a new homebrew port reusing the old engine is unlikely. The fact they even allowed the original release is nothing short of a miracle.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/takedown_notice_may_spell_the_end_for_digger_dan_dx

Ouch. Sad news. :(

By dump you mean steal? Not going to happen.

I thought the copy protection on the cartridge made dumping absolutely impossible - but in reality it didn't take very long at all for a very smart gent to successfully dump it. But he's honourable, as most people in our community are, and aside from verifying that his dump was valid (which we confirmed) that was the last that I heard of it. Only one person has done it, and he's a technical genius.

IF every single Boulder Dash owner gave consent for a re-release, or at least if none objected, THEN I would be OK with it.

• Like 1

The Digger Dan DX issue got resolved -- it looks like the the game developers and First Star worked out the issue, and they're being relisted in the Nintendo Store. See http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/digger_dan_dx_dispute_settled_will_be_back_on_sale_as_soon_as_possible for details.

Edited by bcombee
  • Like 1

I own a copy and object. case closed then. Will trade for a air raid? Any offers?? :P

Or we can look at every limited signed release people paid high $$$ for and make extra copies as well does that suit everyone?? Oh I thought not!! :)

Pretty much sums it up, which is why there has never been a re-release and won't be.

Rare games are usually bad games. This one is no different, so who cares?

Seriously? I think this version of Boulder Dash is an amazing achievement on the 2600, and a game I never expected to see on the system. Gameplay is virtually identical to the Atari 8-bit version, which I played the hell out of "back in the day". The main difference, besides the graphics, is you cannot see as much of the playfield, which makes the 2600 version more challenging. I don't think it's fair at all to lump Boulder Dash in with "rare games are usually bad games".

..Al

In seriousness I would say it is totally up to the programmers and whatever they can swing with first star.

They put the effort and time in.

But if you guys want boulder dash try the 8 bit computer there are about 79 different versions of it waiting for you.

Seriously? I think this version of Boulder Dash is an amazing achievement on the 2600, and a game I never expected to see on the system. Gameplay is virtually identical to the Atari 8-bit version, which I played the hell out of "back in the day". The main difference, besides the graphics, is you cannot see as much of the playfield, which makes the 2600 version more challenging. I don't think it's fair at all to lump Boulder Dash in with "rare games are usually bad games".

..Al

I wouldn't know, I didn't open mine. I just forgot the smiley.

I never opened mine either.

Oh wait... I still haven't gotten mine.

But when I get it I'll open it.

I may even play it.

I live for ruining the perceived artificial value of things by actually using them for the purposes for which they were intended.

Then I'll put it on a shelf and just look at it.

• Like 2

Bag + sticker, sticker never removed once. Is that much different? What did the guy say on ebay? "Factory sealed"

:lol:

I forgot about the bag. Those bags were closed with a single piece of scotch tape, and that tape is pretty sticky. I'm now using small, removable stickers that are much easier to remove, because it was possible to catch the tape on the box, which could damage the box. I don't really consider that to be "sealed", and it would be fairly easy to replace the bag with another and just tape it in a similar fashion to the original.

..Al

• Like 1

In seriousness I would say it is totally up to the programmers and whatever they can swing with first star.

They put the effort and time in.

But if you guys want boulder dash try the 8 bit computer there are about 79 different versions of it waiting for you.

Player a million times in my MSX when a kid. Loved it. :-)

I guess that's why I want it on A2600. :(

Fortunately I have never sold any games that have been shrinkwrapped, as I want people to play the games. I could make an exception in your case, though...

That would be awesome. But only if you included a signed document of authenticity, so that when I removed the shrinkwrap, I would be destroying the value of it even further by opening it.

I forgot about the bag. Those bags were closed with a single piece of scotch tape, and that tape is pretty sticky. I'm now using small, removable stickers that are much easier to remove, because it was possible to catch the tape on the box, which could damage the box. I don't really consider that to be "sealed", and it would be fairly easy to replace the bag with another and just tape it in a similar fashion to the original.

I want the tape. The sticker isn't original, and therefore has less value.

The Digger Dan DX issue got resolved -- it looks like the the game developers and First Star worked out the issue, and they're being relisted in the Nintendo Store. See http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/digger_dan_dx_dispute_settled_will_be_back_on_sale_as_soon_as_possible for details.

That's great! :D

..Al

It's mainly the fact that not enough playfield is visible was why I sold mine. Great tech demo, but too easy to get yourself killed because you can't see the falling boulders until it's too late...

..Al

My sealed Princess Rescue begs to differ! To get to it though, you must first sneak past Bowser... :evil:

post-33189-0-01062000-1392713326.jpg

PS: Before those naysayers accuse me of game hoarding, I also ordered a loose copy and did manage to complete the game. Never bothered with the second quest though... :grin:

• Like 1