IGNORED

The Playstation TV, or "what is this I don't even"

Jess Ragan

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/2015/09/i-want-my-pstv-but-does-anyone-else.html

The Playstation TV is a pretty cool device... as long as you know exactly what it does and that's exactly what you want. There's a lot it doesn't do, but it's handy as a means of playing all your PSP and PSOne favorites on a large screen. I don't really see the system going anywhere, but it cost me just $32 and offers much, much better games than other micro-consoles. With this in mind, it's worth a look.

• Like 2

I love mine but it is definitely in a weird place. It was almost like they said, "Well we can do it" but then didn't figure out why they would want to do it. Sony would have been better off to make it more competitive with devices like Fire TV, Chromecast, etc. I'm just glad they gave it to us in the US. When it first came out, it sounded like Japan only.

I've got mine loaded with almost all of the Persona games. Great device for replaying the series.

• Like 1

Well, what they originally wanted it to do is be a Vita that hooked up to the TV, and only to the TV. For the most part it's nothing more than a Vita with the screen hacked off and requirement for you to use a separate controller.

But it seems they forgot about touch screens (Front and back) and whatnot used in most Vita games that didn't translate well to their alternate controller scheme so they had to backtrack on calling it the Vita TV before half their customers sued them for false advertising - so what ended up being left was a handful of Vita games, and the PSP + PSone classics. If I saw one for 32 bucks, I'd probably pick it up as well. But otherwise not really interested in it.

You can emulate the touch controls pretty well....and the PS4 controller has a touchpad already (what I use.)

Anyway....this guy (mr.gas) got non compatible games to work. Apparently games are white listed to play. Hopefully this hack or whatever it is works on current firmware but I think they are waiting for the next update from Sony which is taking an unusually long time:

• Like 1

Paying full price for the PS TV upon release, I was severely disappointed with it. Many PS1 games are not re-downloadable to the device, many PSP games don't work on it (even though the store allows you to download them to the system), and a good majority of the Vita library doesn't function on the device. I recently boxed it up, but ended up pulling it back out when I got a spare HDMI-capable TV. It still gets very little use however.

If I paid $40-ish like a lot of people are now, I think I would have been more satisfied with it (versus the $140 Lego bundle at release). Not even Netflix works on this, and so how I see it is a device with tons of potential (100% Vita compatibility plus video streaming? Sign me up!) that was completely botched by Sony. But for the price of less than a brand-new game, it's probably fine for what it is.

• Like 1

You can emulate the touch controls pretty well....and the PS4 controller has a touchpad already (what I use.)

Anyway....this guy (mr.gas) got non compatible games to work. Apparently games are white listed to play. Hopefully this hack or whatever it is works on current firmware but I think they are waiting for the next update from Sony which is taking an unusually long time:

Yes, but there are plenty of games where trying to emulate them are so clunky that it's effectively ruins the game. As such, no point even saying the game works on the system.

Yes, but there are plenty of games where trying to emulate them are so clunky that it's effectively ruins the game. As such, no point even saying the game works on the system.

Dont know about that, most of the games I have and want to play dont use touch controls or its an option in the game I turn off, still got a Vita to play those few that I have so its not a big deal for me.

I really liked the idea of the PlayStation TV.
The idea of a tiny TV Vita seemed awesome. Then I saw that the compatibility is.... downright shameful. Like you would think it would work ANY title that the Vita works (minus some of the touchscreen required titles although PS4 controller), but then you end up missing out on basically everything. By the time I found what could be played, I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Ended up selling it on here to someone. lol

Also was really let down by the PS4 streaming... and I had the thing right next to my PS4 with considerable input lag. -_-

I adore mine. As the PSP RPGs go on sale, I snap them up and put them on my 64G card. It's so nice finally playing these on TV, and so nice to avoid the hassle of the PSP AV cable.

I'm not sure what people are complaining about in regard to compatibility. Must have vastly different tastes in games than me, because the only title I've wanted which isn't compatible is Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.

• Like 2

PSP and PS1 all should work, its some kind of white list thing. It may be the same with Vita games. Publisher just needs to do it and knowing how some of them are it may never happen. If it's Konami you can bet you'll never see them bother with it.

I posted this a few times, here it is, its the best place IMO to get info on what works and how to get it to work:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/337079-playstation-tv-compatibility-list-vita-psp-ps1-ps-minis-and-ps-mobile/

Bought mine just to play TxK... but I also found myself downloading a couple PS1 classics while I was at it. Not a bad little device if you can get it cheap. Hopefully Sony doens't pull the plug on the thing though rendering it useless if you need to re-download the games.

• Like 2

Looks like the "hack" is out but it seems it only works for Uncharted and other games but not everything:

Info:

http://hackinformer.com/2015/09/24/mr-gas-releases-methode-to-write-to-the-vita-filesystem-pstv-whitelist-patch/

Direct:

http://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PSV/INFO_PSTV_WHITELIST.html

Compatability list with exploit:

http://vitareviews.net/my-findings-on-hack-informers-pstv-compatibility-exploit/

Works with Exploit

Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified
Crimsonland
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
Flying Hamster HD
Get Off My Lawn
Gravity Rush
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Invizimals: The Alliance
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril
LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection
Mortal Kombat
Netflix
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
PlayStation Vita Pets
Ratchet and Clank Trilogy
Rayman Legends
Resistance: Burning Skies
Run Like Hell
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Sly Cooper Collection
Starlight Inception
Street Fighter x Tekken
Sunflowers
Tearaway
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Ys: Memories of Celceta

--------------------------------------

Still Does Not Work with Exploit

Actual Sunlight
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax
Doodle Kingdom
Element4l
Fat Princess: Piece of Cake
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Invokers Tournament
Invizimals: The Resistance
Medieval Defenders
Muppets Movie Adventures
Murasaki Baby
Nihilumbra
Project Root
Run Sackboy Run
Terraria
Tetris Ultimate
Xeodrifter

Kind of have reservations about doing this since I don't care about most of the above games except for three:

Uncharted, Castlevania and Wipeout. I can live without those and play them on the Vita.

I tried the hack myself, and it works MAGNIFICENTLY. I mean, I already had Street Fighter X Tekken on a zillion other systems, but it's nice to play the game on the PS TV. Mortal Kombat works great too. Assassin's Creed slightly less so because of the touchscreen features, but I still like it better on a full-sized television set.

One problem is that if you shut down the system, you've got to run the exploit all over again. I put the two E-mails in a separate Gmail folder so I didn't have to bother sending them again. (Hopefully the PS TV supports Gmail folders... I guess we'll find out soon enough.)

I'm trying to get my system to work on a computer monitor, using a DVI to HDMI connector. Anyone had luck doing this?

• Like 2

I tried the hack myself, and it works MAGNIFICENTLY. I mean, I already had Street Fighter X Tekken on a zillion other systems, but it's nice to play the game on the PS TV. Mortal Kombat works great too. Assassin's Creed slightly less so because of the touchscreen features, but I still like it better on a full-sized television set.

One problem is that if you shut down the system, you've got to run the exploit all over again. I put the two E-mails in a separate Gmail folder so I didn't have to bother sending them again. (Hopefully the PS TV supports Gmail folders... I guess we'll find out soon enough.)

I'm trying to get my system to work on a computer monitor, using a DVI to HDMI connector. Anyone had luck doing this?

I haven't tried hooking it up to a monitor but I'm sure it will work....not sure though about adapters.

Let me know if the gmail folder thing works. If so I may try this out.

Yep, it does! That's great 'cuz I won't have to dig around for the necessary files every time I need them. (Not that I expect this hack will last long, mind you...)

I'm gonna try the monitor again after changing the display setting to 720P, then 480P. It looks terrific on the living room television set, but my mother's gonna be moving into the trailer for a few months and it would be nice to have a display in my own room. I've got PC monitors up the wazoo but regrettably, none of them support HDMI natively.

The hack's been expanded to include PSP and PSOne games. Here's more information, courtesy of NeoGAF's Dunkey:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179954005&postcount=980

For the record, I've tried this, and it's opened up the previously inaccessible Sega Genesis Collection. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker are also reported to be working after the hack.

Edited by Jess Ragan
  • Like 3

I like the PS TV. I also like the Vita a lot. There's barely any Support though. Since the Price went down I think it's neat. For 10 Dollars it's just way too much.

All in all I have to say a PS3 is a better buy, but on the Vita TV I played Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, so there's that...

If this was receiving good games with a physical release on a regular it would be just amazing. I don't mind the graphics at all, and besides that it's just great for playing games.

You can't. At least not without a lengthy hack. People have been able to put "custom bubbles" on their systems, but at 27 steps, it's quite an undertaking.

By the way, don't update your systems; it kills the whitelist. In fact, you have to block sites on your router to keep Sony from killing compatibility with some games. It's really aggravating to be honest. I know, some of these games aren't licensed for home use or whatever, but Sony should have dealt with that issue before releasing this ridiculous thing. It's not quite a console, not quite a handheld, and not a set top box. It belongs on the Island of Misfit Toys.

• Like 2

I'm slightly interested if I can put my ps1/psp discs on it.

While no prayer of PS1 disc support, I'm still kind of surprised that Japan didn't get an external UMD drive attachment for this thing.

Although chances are Sony would've locked us out from importing it and using it on our PSTV's.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1