IGNORED

The Playstation TV, or "what is this I don't even"

Jess Ragan

While no prayer of PS1 disc support, I'm still kind of surprised that Japan didn't get an external UMD drive attachment for this thing.

Although chances are Sony would've locked us out from importing it and using it on our PSTV's.

I'm not buying my games twice. Sorry, Sony.

• Like 2

Rebuying a UMD digitally isn't even a option frequently. Many PSP titles never were made available digitally and only a selection of those that are, are allowed to be played on the Playstation TV. An external UMD drive would've been perfect for this thing and solved many an issue with the PSP software played on a television.

Instead, anyone that wants to avoid the digital route is stuck with the tv-out issues that Jess mentioned for PSP hardware. And not only do you have to buy a PSP specific external upscaler just to get full-screen tv output, it's also the only way to get the proper aspect ratio. That windowed picture that Jess understandably was complaining about isn't even at the correct 16:9 proportions for PSP games.

And by going with genuine PSP hardware connected to your tv, you either have to go the digital route anyways if you want Dual Shock support since the digital only PSP Go was the only one of the bunch with BlueTooth, or deal with a less comfortable UMD equipped PSP with a horrible analog nub and video-out cables dangling out of it as your controller instead.

A console PSP would've been great, but the PSTV only got us halfway there. :(

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

A console PSP would've been great, but the PSTV only got us halfway there. :(

I'd LOVE to have a console that Plays psp umds. So many creat cheap games... I know you can use Video out from a PSP, but you have to use the console as a Controller. Too bad the psp go that has Video out and Controller Support doesn't read the umds...

There is a way to dump legally purchased UMDs, but you'll need a hacked PSP to do it. You'll also need the PSP Go hacked if you want to put your games there. Hacking the PSP is a trivial matter, but you still have to deal with that black border...

I suppose an Android stick would do in a pinch. PSP emulation is surprisingly solid on that format...

• Like 1

I bought a PSTV just for Tempest when I had some accumulated Best Buy Rewards and it was on sale. I wish getting PSP backups on it was an easier affair and have forgone attempting to do so for now. I have a shelf full of PSP discs that I have backed up and put onto my PSP. As others have noted, PSP UMD discs are cheap to find right now.

For the PSP, Amazon currently has the following at really cheap prices:

PSP Upscaler:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSPHD42-Connector-Converter-Up-Scaling/dp/B0038AERAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443966731&sr=8-1&keywords=psp+upscaler

PSP Grip

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Portable-Hunting-PSP-Sony/dp/B00462Q5XY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443966807&sr=8-1&keywords=psp+grip

This is the solution I use and it works really well. The upscaler price fluctuates quite a bit; the current 29.99 is the lowest I have seen it (I got mine when it was 45). The only down side is that the cable is tight fit when using the grip. I've never understood why PSP cable plugs have always been made to go sideways.

Below are some screenshots of my setup with a PSP 2000 on a 28" Insignia HDTV in 720P. The first photo is before the upscale, the seccond, after.

post-21248-0-21488700-1443967723_thumb.jpg

post-21248-0-99109800-1443967732_thumb.jpg

Edited by mckafka99
  • Like 6

Thanks for pointing this out! Now I'm wondering why the hell I even bothered with a Playstation TV...

Seriously, I'll look into this. Is it compatible with the PSP Go as well? Cuz that's what I'd use. (The problem is that the PSP Go uses one cable for everything, and when attached to a television with the Bluetooth turned on, it loses its charge quickly.)

Just in case this is potentially helpful, some Sony HDTV's and monitors from recent years include a PSP specific video mode that will properly upscale your PSP software to full-screen when it's enabled. That 3D Playstation display from a few years back is one such example.
Some people already have everything they need and just don't realize it since they've never enabled that mode while playing their PSP on their tv.

The problem is that the PSP Go uses one cable for everything, and when attached to a television with the Bluetooth turned on, it loses its charge quickly.

I have a charging dock for my PSP Go that allows it to output video and charge simultaneously. Also have a modded plastic screen protector for it since even though I don't intend to ever use it as a handheld, I'd hate to get the screen scratched. I had to do some trimming to the screen protector though to allow the system to fit into the dock with it fitted.

Alas, I still have to use my PSP 3000 to play my UMD's. Was really hoping that the PSTV would evolve into a complete solution for this, although I was confident that an external UMD drive would've been a Japanese exclusive.

Would've been worth importing...

Thanks for pointing this out!

That looks identical to what I use as a PSP scaler, the LKV8000.

Is it compatible with the PSP Go as well?

There's a PSP Go cable for this upscaler, since I have it. But how you go about getting it these days, I don't know. I had to buy mine separately as I recall and don't see it available on Amazon (It only comes with what you need for a 2000/3000 model).

It would've been best if it just accepted component inputs using regular PSP component cables. Then, it wouldn't of been model specific and require something extra for the Go (And you likely wouldn't be stuck with now unneeded component cables for your PSP).

If you're handy, you probably could put something together yourself.

Edited by Atariboy

I just picked up a PS TV (video coming soon) and since I have so many Pinball Arcade DLC packs for my PS3 that also included Vita versions here was me thinking no problem, I can play Pinball on the TV in the bedroom. After setting the whole thing up and installing, I discovered the Vita does not have R2 and L2 which happen to be my preferred buttons for using the flippers in Pinball Arcade.

Ugh.

Not a waste, heck I am loving TxK! But why is there no option to change R1 to R2 and L1 to L2 in the PS TV options? Seems silly.

The best part of TxK on a Playstation TV is that without a gyroscope, the screen is perfectly still during stage transitions. Makes getting hearts a breeze.

I wound up ordering an 8GB card for my Vita as my 16GB card has taken up permanent residence inside my PSTV. It was $13, and that was the BEST price I could find. For an 8GB memory card. Sony, you blow!

• Like 1

The best part of TxK on a Playstation TV is that without a gyroscope, the screen is perfectly still during stage transitions. Makes getting hearts a breeze.

I wound up ordering an 8GB card for my Vita as my 16GB card has taken up permanent residence inside my PSTV. It was $13, and that was the BEST price I could find. For an 8GB memory card. Sony, you blow!

I spent 80 bucks on a 64GB card. A rip, but I need it.

TxK is great on a TV screen. I was playing Murumasa Rebirth a few months back and it was a whole lot easier using a real controller.

I just picked up mckafka99's upscaler recommendation so I guess I'm all set for gaming on a TV.

Good news: Y's: Memories of Celceta is now compatable on PSTV

https://twitter.com/vitareviews/status/650680601729703937

I haven't tried the hack yet., maybe this weekend......