IGNORED

Atari 5200/8bit Emulator Windows?

christo930

I'm looking for a good Atari 8bit emulator with 5200 support that runs under windows (7) and doesn't need any additional libraries installed and is portable (meaning it doesn't have to be installed, just unzipped to a directory). Does any such emulator exist? If so, does anyone have a link.

If there is NO portable emulator, I guess I would be willing to install one, but I don't like the way they want to stick files in your personal directory and install shit into your windows directory and aren't easily moved. Even my browser is portable (Pale Moon Portable) and it makes my life easier.

Any help would be appreciated.

I never got any emulator to work right. At least 5200 wise. KAT5200 was the closest.

http://kat5200.jillybunch.com/

The first one recommended to me is running 5200 games no problem. You do have to set the machine type and controller type which isn't particularly intuitive, but if I figured it out, you should have no problem.

I use MESS for Atari5200 and Atari7800 emulation. but you need bios files (which are easy to find in the internet). MESS is a multi-emulator for lots of different systems and this two Atari systems work very good with it. But my version of MESS here is older. When i am right, MESS now is combined with the MAME emulator. But i never tried the new combined version, because i am satisfied with my MESS V0.84.

I use Kat5200,works well but like someone above said you can't exactly jump in and play. You have to tell the emulator what control type and which system you wish to emulate,the menus are abit confusing but its all trial and error and you get the hang of it eventually. I just wish my X-Arcade stick would work with this thing.

I program it to read the inputs but I get no response. And I do have the emulator set to keyboard inputs as thats how my PC reads the X-arcade anyways,as basically a giant keyboard,but still the emulator doesn't respond with it. Other emulators i don't have this problem. Its frustrating because the joystick and arcade buttons on the X-Arcade would be just perfect for 5200 emulation.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol