IGNORED

Season 13 Round 8 - Elevator Action

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 8 of the 13th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This round we are playing the Taito classic Elevator Action.

http://youtu.be/durTn-5IAms

This round ends on Sunday, October 4th.

Title: Elevator Action

Developer: Micronics/Taito

Publisher: Taito/Nintendo

Released: August 1987

Rules: None that I can think of.

Scores So Far

Current Standings

1. bubufubu 123

2. DonPedro 91

3. S.BAZ 89

4. darthkur 59

5. Jibbajaba 49

6. roadrunner 46

7. wongojack 40

8. jblenkle 39

9. Retrogamer81081 30

10. AlexKIDD 22

11. asponge 20

12. SiLic0ne t0aD85 18

12. atari2600land 18

14. cparsley 15

15. bigbee99 12

16. LidLikesIntellivision 8

I'm excited about this one. I've been aware of this game since I was a child from the arcades and other versions, but I've never really tried to play it for score.

I actually had this game back in the day. Micronics had a knack for making buggy home conversions of popular arcade games, and somehow I ended up with several of them. This is a great game though, and the Micronics bugs are just cosmetic.

post-34560-0-99152000-1442701364_thumb.jpg

one of the great things about Elevator Action: watching is as fun as playing, so many wacky funny things happening. some friends & i played for about 8 hrs & we were pretty much laughing the whole time! one of them came over the next day & we went for another couple hours & many more laughs.

that whole time I never once survived the 1st level without dying, and never once got past Level 3.

did actually survive the 1st level w/o dying!

I think the difficulty in this game increases with score. I notice that on level one that things get very difficult once I get to about 8k. At 10k, if I haven't died there are sometimes some crouching guys who might as well be firing a machine gun. Try to exit the red door with one of those guys bearing down on you! After a death things go back to a more reasonable difficulty.

I think the difficulty in this game increases with score. I notice that on level one that things get very difficult once I get to about 8k.

that totally makes sense, I knew there was some nasty tricky shenanigans at work here! every time i think i'm doing well something crazy goes down!

@ bubu- did you make it to Level 4??

I think the difficulty in this game increases with score. I notice that on level one that things get very difficult once I get to about 8k. At 10k, if I haven't died there are sometimes some crouching guys who might as well be firing a machine gun. Try to exit the red door with one of those guys bearing down on you! After a death things go back to a more reasonable difficulty.

I, too, am in agreement with this. I can sense the difficulty increasing around 5,000 - 6,000 points. It becomes very apparent between 8,000 - 10,000.

However, I don't feel the difficulty decrease all that much after a death. You have a short break to come up with a strategy, but then the enemies appear to be just as hyper with spawns and behavior. I've had multiple deaths occur within short periods of time.

@ bubu- did you make it to Level 4??

No, I haven't made it that far, S.BAZ. I don't anticipate that kind of stage progression while playing for points.