IGNORED

[AVS] HDMI Nes

romeoteknik

• 1 month later...

Yep, I've been wanting one of these since I heard about it in another thread.

I'm down for $200 as long as:

• it takes my powerpak
  • scales 4:3 inside the unit (so my tv doesn't have to do the scaling)

My snes and a lot of other systems look great via scart and a framemeister, but the lack of beautiful NES video has bothered me. And yes, it has bothered me $200 worth.

• Like 1

Yep, I've been wanting one of these since I heard about it in another thread.

I'm down for $200 as long as:

• it takes my powerpak
  • scales 4:3 inside the unit (so my tv doesn't have to do the scaling)

My snes and a lot of other systems look great via scart and a framemeister, but the lack of beautiful NES video has bothered me. And yes, it has bothered me $200 worth.

Considering it's by the creator of the PowerPak, I have no doubt it will be compatible.

• Like 1

The AVS scales at 3:3, 4:3 and 5:3. That video was not meant at as a showcase for the console, it was shot by somebody who happened to pass by the RetroUSB booth.

RetroUSB has a youtube channel with some captured footage from the device in a better aspect ratio.

This is a hardware emulator, but it only emulates the hardware inside the NES. Other emulator boxes like the Retron 5 emulate the hardware inside the NES and the cartridge. If the Retron 5 does not have emulation for the hardware inside a homebrew cartridge, it won't play it. The AVS should not have that difficulty.

The only true concern at this point is compatibility. Will it look and sound like a real NES and play all the games a real NES would in every instance. Bunnyboy's track record is good, but not perfect.

Does anybody know what that connector is in back?

I'm specifically wondering if there is analog audio coming out of it.

The AVS scales at 3:3, 4:3 and 5:3. That video was not meant at as a showcase for the console, it was shot by somebody who happened to pass by the RetroUSB booth.

With that statement, it's also worth highlighting that it's a 720p output, and as far as I've seen there is no 1080p upscaling, so it will be up to your TV to handle that last bit with varying degrees of success.

I'm going to crank my framemeister down to 720p tonight to see how well my tv upscales compared to true 1080p. I'd imagine I'm not going to notice any extra lag, but it's pretty hard to find upscaler performance info on TVs despite how critically important it is to video gamers. In any case, 720p isn't 'quite' ideal for most setups.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...

I played this at PRGE and know of the person behind this. This is the real deal replacement upgrade for you aging NES hardware. A day one purchase for me. Other hardware project should take note, this one has been done well. There even was a quality flyer made promoting the thing at the show. Pretty awesome.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Price is $185 + s/h, 7 "launch" titles available (sold separately). No word yet on prices for the launch titles, and before anyone asks, they are also 100% compatible with standard definition NES.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/retrousbs_hdmi_nes_the_avs_is_heading_for_a_summer_release

Stock should be in sometime in June...

Latest info, start at the end and read bunnyboy's posts in backwards order. It's a long thread...

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=2576&catid=7&threadid=92557

• Like 1

This was at MGC? How did I miss it?!

It was in the Nintendo Age room. It wasn't hooked up, because there was some sort of issue with their demo unit. That corner of the room seemed to have bad luck, because there was also an HDMi modded N64 that would randomly reset.

• Like 1

Will this be the first mass-produced FPGA clone of a retro console? I hope there are more to come. I think this is the future of clone consoles and a critical development in retro hardware preservation. I know about the system Kevtris is working on and I couldn't be more excited.

• Like 3