IGNORED

My favorite underrated game for Sega Genesis...

Player Ready

Last Battle

I'll defend this game to my grave. No, I might not put it in my Top-10 list, but it's definitely a good game.

Could of used a little better music, and the boss fights can be a little TOO difficult, but I will never understand all the flak this game gets. It's like Altered Beast; A side-scrolling beat-em-up where you eventually get super-powered and fight a boss... BUT, this game has MORE levels, a map system to traverse and figure out the best pathes to take and what places can be ignored/skipped. And you gotta love the engrish story that unfolds as you play!

• Like 2

I came here to say 'Starflight' and see that it's been mentioned already. I bought this game at Babbages back in the day on a whim. EA was having a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal so I picked up Starflight and Dark Castle (mistake) so I could get The Immortal. These are two games I didn't know anything about but they looked interesting to me. Dark Castle was a creative game hampered by a terrible control system meant for a mouse and keyboard. Starflight proved to be utterly engrossing as I flew across the galaxy, entered solar systems, orbited planets, scanned them for minerals, landed, disembarked the buggy and endured hostile alien weather and creatures as I scanned the areas for precious minerals I could mine in exchange for money I could use to upgrade my ship's weapons, shield, and engine systems. That was a long sentence.

At the beginning of the game you acquire and train a crew who have jobs much like the crew in Star Trek and each one is important. You use money to improve their skills and to upgrade your land buggy. In space, you could establish communications with other aliens that you happen to encounter, strike up a dialogue, and depending on what demeanor you use, either gain useful information or end up blasting each other. All this time you have to try and figure out why the universe is ending and find rare items to try and save it.

The whole game plays in real time and requires user input. From combat to attempting to land the ship on a planet (the planet's gravity affects your descent), to traversing the surface looking for minerals to mine. Storms will blow your ship around. You lose traction on icy areas. This game is deep but very accessible from a gameplay perspective. It's one of my absolute favorites on the Genesis and it has a great intro tune.

I too liked Starflight and bought it based on the back of the box description back in the day. It was because of Starflight that I got Star Control II for the 3DO back in the mid to late 1990's. If you like Starflight you will like Star Control II. The play mechanics are almost exactly the same. It kind of feels like a sequel to Starflight. Funny, I didn't like the original Star Control game (which I have for Genesis).

• 2 weeks later...

The Faery Tale Adventure

Fatal Labyrinth

Star Control

I like all these (especially The Faery Tale Adventure), and am very interested in several of the others like Aerobiz Supersonic and M&M II. But:

Battlemaster

Wow, really? I don't think I've ever seen anyone praise this game. What do you like about it?

I tried playing Battlemaster on multiple occasions and managed to get through a few levels, but it's like herding cats -- the allied AI will get wildly off-track at a moment's notice -- and I never felt like I 100% understood what was going on or why. It doesn't help that the manual is somewhat undercooked too, not really explaining several things important to gameplay.

As for my favorite underrated game for Genesis, my perennial answer is Gain Ground, which I think is Top 5 on the system. I also liked Jewel Master a lot, and Warrior of Rome II is a sort of masterpiece on its own terms.

The X-men games are good games on the Mega Drive/Genesis; definitely surprising that they don't get more coverage. I would add Rolo to the Rescue and Starflight to the list of underrated games.

Rolo is a puzzle platform adventure, which is actually surprisingly challenging in spite of its appearance. I've made a video discussing Rolo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmhyHY1w3cI

Starflight is a massive space exploration game. It was easily the biggest game I encountered on the system at the time and the included map and manual, or Captains log, really helped flesh out the experience. I was surprised the series didn't continue, but in many ways games like No Man's Sky are successors to the concepts of the game.

Both games were made back before EA turned "evil".

From the games listed by you, I loved playing X-men games on my Sega Genesis console. Actually, I am such a bug fan of playing retro games that i still play games on my childhood consoles.

Kid Chameleon is a real classic with very few modern analogues. I guess sorta Kirby in the different powers vein but that's it.

So nice to see Kid mentioned a few times. I know there are many other Genesis games that don't get enough respect, but KC is very high on the list for me. It's basically a super underated mario clone that had some really cool power ups and level design.

• 1 month later...

+2 for Starflight. I had it back in the day, as well.

Man Starflight is one of those games I just want to like. But I have this insurmountable learning curve when it comes to EA computer ports. I seriously need to just sit down, study the manual, and give it another go.

My underrated Genesis vote would probably go to DeCapAttack. Insanely fun platformer with an awesome "horror" reskin.

• Like 2

Man Starflight is one of those games I just want to like. But I have this insurmountable learning curve when it comes to EA computer ports. I seriously need to just sit down, study the manual, and give it another go.

My underrated Genesis vote would probably go to DeCapAttack. Insanely fun platformer with an awesome "horror" reskin.

Yeah it's definitely not a "pick up and play" game. Speaking of EA computer ports, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday is also awesome.

• Like 2

Last Battle

I'll defend this game to my grave. No, I might not put it in my Top-10 list, but it's definitely a good game.

Could of used a little better music, and the boss fights can be a little TOO difficult, but I will never understand all the flak this game gets. It's like Altered Beast; A side-scrolling beat-em-up where you eventually get super-powered and fight a boss... BUT, this game has MORE levels, a map system to traverse and figure out the best pathes to take and what places can be ignored/skipped. And you gotta love the engrish story that unfolds as you play!

Not one of my favorites but definitely fits in with this thread. You know what always sticks in my memory about this game, was how utterly AMAZING the screenshots were in all the Genesis adverts. I mean, this game looked next gen if anything else.

I guess I'll throw in my vote for Tyrants. I've raved about this game numerous times over the years, always recommending it for RTS fans.

X-Men 2 is a great game. I don't understand it when people say there weren't any good superhero games back then. The Snes and Genesis both received great X-Men games. I personally prefer X-Men 2 to Mutant Apocalypse. Its only weakness is its level designs. MA does have a slick arcade feel, with Capcom's signature style and large sprites that compensate for it's limited animation. I managed to complete X-Men 2, but couldn't beat Magneto in MA.

Anyway, I agree with most of the nominations here and I'll add Elemental Master to the list. Very glad I picked this up from the video store for 2.99 back in the day. The screenshots are what sold me on it.

Edited by Nathan Dunsmore

• 3 weeks later...

Alisia Dragoon is a favorite of mine. It was one of the first games recommended to me back when I first started collecting for Genesis and it is a great game. Kind of hard though. At least for me. I suck at platformers, heh.

Alisia Dragoon is one of the earliest games I got for my Genesis, and I was in love with it for a fairly decent amount of time. I sold the game because I wasn't good enough to progress any further than where I was stuck at, and regretted that decision almost immediately. It's one of the few games I've ever gotten rid of and then hunted down a replacement copy.

Does Lightening Force count as hidden? Great shoot 'em up, killer soundtrack. Gorgeous too.

I don't think we hear about it as much as we should. IMO, Lightening Force is the absolute pinnacle of SHMUPS during the 16 bit era.

Star Control

Star Control was one of the games I purchased along with my Genesis (along with Golden Axe and Sonic 1). It was a very necessary bridge for me from the early 80s era to the early 90s era. I remember being in absolute AWE of the opening music and the ship description screens.

I played that game incessantly. Before we got into Mortal Kombat, we'd play melee in Star Control as well as the cool wargame with the rotating starfield. Plus, I had a game genie and I was always tinkering around trying to figure out insane codes to tweak the game.

I still have my original cart. It's the only one of those original three games where I still have the cart I started with. I think I even have the instruction book with the Erol Otus artwork (of D&D fame).

-------

The game I'll add to the list is Romance of the Three Kingdoms II. It was one of the early Genesis games I got. I remember I bought it from Toys R Us. It was their last copy. I got the box they had hacked up in order to make the display flap on the wall. I got it because I really liked Nobunaga's Ambition on the NES. RotK2 was soooo much better. I fell in love with it. To this day, I think it's the best strategy game that Koei ever made.

• 2 weeks later...

Love co-op play in The Adventures of Batman and Robin with its FM synthesis NIN style soundtrack. My wife and I have a blast playing this together.

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since someone with great taste already mentioned DeCapattack, I will throw in my latest favorite, Wiz and Liz. Fun, fast platformer from Psygnosis. It has a fun feature in between rounds to collect fruit and mix them into spells which give you powerups, loot and a slew of mini games.