IGNORED

RPGTile Demo

Mord

Personally, would like to see an Ultima title brought over - IV or V...Not that I, II, or III would be bad choice either. :)

Then again, I really love Wasteland. It (sadly) never saw a release on any console.

Likely though, any interested dev would make it their own unique title. Whatever the case, it would be very cool to see an RPG on the 7800. :cool:

Whatever the case, it would be very cool to see an RPG on the 7800. :cool:

That's definitely true. And that also makes me wonder about turn-based strategy games, too... like Fire Emblem, for example? Something more like one of the... two or three games (I think?) in the series, that the Famicom got?

...And that also makes me wonder about turn-based strategy games, too...

Turn based strategy could be great as well. King's Bounty, or even Lords of Chaos (the latter was never ported to a console), would be nice.

Along those vibes, Defender of the Crown, especially the C64 and DOS/Tandy ports have always been a favorite of mine. It has been ported to many platforms, but a nice twist would be able to have two or more human players as an option.

We're slowly wandering, if not already lost, into this kind of territory though. The dreaming and wishing can go on and on... ;)

OMG this demo has made my day :)

It was a fantastic surprise and very considerate of Mord to share so generously.

• Like 1

We're slowly wandering, if not already lost, into this kind of territory though. The dreaming and wishing can go on and on... ;)

Should I hold off on the next scroll demo then til we get the dreaming under control? ^^ (Granted the scrolling only works in my head right now, but should work for what I want it to do.)

Doing map based things should work just fine if things are going to jump by full tiles (Like in Wasteland's map.. or say Pool of Radiance's battle system!)

It was a fantastic surprise and very considerate of Mord to share so generously.

You're welcome! I'm mostly trying to feed people's imagination with these demos in the hopes we'll find some people that are standing on the edge will take the plunge into programming. ;)

• Like 5

Should I hold off on the next scroll demo then til we get the dreaming under control? ^^ (Granted the scrolling only works in my head right now, but should work for what I want it to do.)

Oh please, no...Let the floodgates open. Bring it on. :)

Doing map based things should work just fine if things are going to jump by full tiles (Like in Wasteland's map.. or say Pool of Radiance's battle system!)

Or another one of my favorites...Starflight [Particularly, the mining and flying portions]...See the dreaming goes on... :-D

You're welcome! I'm mostly trying to feed people's imagination with these demos in the hopes we'll find some people that are standing on the edge will take the plunge into programming. ;)

Yeah, some people really need to get off their butt and be less of a spectator around here. I won't list names, but this one person is registered with his first name reversed. :dunce:

• Like 1

Oh please, no...Let the floodgates open. Bring it on. :)

I second that. :) Don't mind me, either. I actually suggested a TBS because I was thinking about making one, two or three projects down the road, and wanted to see what others thought.

Yeah, some people really need to get off their butt and be less of a spectator around here. I won't list names, but this one person is registered with his first name reversed. :dunce:

Wait, don't tell me... umm... no, wait, I'll get it... it's on the tip of my tongue... (or laying on my keyboard someplace) :D

Of course, I wonder if there's also some that are working on games, but aren't sure when they should post a public alpha/beta?

About to hack some better scrolling into this, but for now enjoy~

As before feel free to use anything you can find a use for. My hack job scrolling won't be as awesome as I'd like, but the requirements to get it as awesome as I like would require a new cartridge bankswitching setup developed. I'm not quite ready for that step yet, even if I have ideas. :ponder:

2015-09-25-rpgtiledemo.bas.a78

2015-09-25-rpgtiledemo.bas.bin

2015-09-25-rpgtiledemo.zip

• Like 6

Rather frustrating when you -almost- get what you want.

Sadly based on mess tests there's not enough time to hide the scrolling tiles for a nice looking display with the current setup. (You can see a tiny black block along the left side of the screen that tries to do it when on mess/hardware.)

I'll leave it at this for now as I want to get back to graze again this weekend. This technique might still be possible if you use 160A for the tiles instead of 160B. You can probably preserve the colors if you build the map in Tiled and import the map from there. However guessing on how it builds the screen, you'll have to be careful how often you change tiles in a horizontal row.

As you'll see in the source code, I cheat here. :D I poke directly at the very first DLL entry - that black bar across the top of the screen. (zone -1)

(And yes, use the source/sprites/etc as desired as always)

2015-09-25-2-rpgtiledemo.bas.a78

2015-09-25-2-rpgtiledemo.bas.bin

2015-09-25-2-rpgtiledemo.zip

Edited by Mord
  • Like 7

• 1 year later...

necro-bump!

So this last week I took a break from Graze Suit Alpha to take another stab at the scrolling here. Got it almost proper. Not entirely sure how to make sure CHARBASE is set properly in time for the final row - you'll notice it's off by a line. Making a smaller map seems to make the error larger than smaller as well! Oh well. Use the code any way you like. :)

Adding vertical scrolling required dropping to assembly for a couple things - namely to move when the interrupt function fires, adjusting charbase, and changing the sizes of the top and bottom displayed zone. horizontal scrolling is reworked to allow different speeds (Same as the vertical scrolling) but it doesn't require dropping to assembly. It just updates what parts of the map to drop on the screen.

Also, to update the charbase I had to insert a quick lda/sta into std_routines.asm. I've included that in the zip as well.

2017-09-30-rpgtiledemo.bas.a78

2017-09-30-rpgtiledemo.bas.bin

2017-09-30-rpgtiledemo.zip

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome. I hope you manage to pull it off as I'd love to play some ultima styled rpg on the 7800. If I manage to stabilize the bottom row the next time I take a swing at it I'd probably be more leaning towards a dragon warrior styled game myself. Either way the more programmers working on the 7800 the better in my opinion. :)

• Like 1