IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) info & bits

AHA

• 1 month later...

Hmm... I am going to try and make sure to use actual rom dumps and then .car header them.... then the Ult SD cart will really shine and show off what it can do!

I'm in need of fixing Summer Games (Cart version) for the UCart. Can you point me to some info on how to fix the headers?

I'm in need of fixing Summer Games (Cart version) for the UCart. Can you point me to some info on how to fix the headers?

I believe that SG is an XEGS-SWITCHABLE 64k Cart. So when using the rom 2 cart utility verify that you select the proper selection. Or your rom may be bad and you need to get another.

• Like 2

Michael asked me what firmware I have on my Ultimate Cart. I assume "the latest", since MacRorie just built it, and when I noticed the JTAG port on the back, he said "I can flash it when a new version comes out, if you want" (I'm fortunate to live about 15-20min away, though :) )

However, the menu program that comes up when I boot with the cart installed doesn't actually say! Is there a way to tell?

Further, I noticed in Flashjazzcat's review of the Ultimate SD (sounds like he rewrote the menu program for Electrotrains) that you can drop a "_boot.rom" on your SD card, and the Ultimate Cart will boot the Atari into that, instead of the menu program built into the firmware. That's cool! Though my initial thought was "save a game as that file!", but that didn't work. Reading further, I guess I'm not surprised, since the firmware running on the FPGA maps some data into the ROM that the Atari uses (list of files on the SD card, etc.) Probably not something Pac-Man would appreciate, for example ;)

Are there any alternate menu ROMs out there to play with, or a way to sign up as a beta tester? (Sounds like simply dropping a file on the SD card to test, and deleting when you're done, is all that's needed, so seems safe enough.)

So long story short: (1) is there a way to tell what firmware's running on the Ultimate Cart (I suppose, does the firmware make it visible to the menu program?), and (2) can I play with other menu ROMs? :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I always have the super sparta x cart in the computer these days and have notices that using the ultimate carts xex loader fails when using the cold /c command and the car commands as well.... It will load roms all day long no matter which way I enter but fails when using ult cart xex loader... of course the ult cart xex loader works when just the ult cart is in all by itself

Edited by _The Doctor__

I always have the super sparta x cart in the computer these days and have notices that using the ultimate carts xex loader fails when using the cold /c command and the car commands as well.... It will load roms all day long no matter which way I enter but fails when using ult cart xex loader... of course the ult cart xex loader works when just the ult cart is in all by itself

The XEX loader on the cartridge uses the $D5xx window to spool bytes from the XEX file to the XEX loader on the Atari itself. So while the XEX loader is running, the atari will be reading from the entire $D5xx range, and writing to $D500+$D501 to request the next file chunk.

Since Sparta dos also reacts to reads in $D5xx, its probably getting enabled/disabled by the XEX loader on the atari. I don't use sparta dos, so I haven't tested this kind of configuration... its possible that FJC can add more...?

One solution might be to recode the XEX loader on the ultimate cart to only use half of the $D500 range - that would keep it free of the range used by spata dos.

Robin

• Like 1

Sounds like there's a cart ROM in the way. The super SDX cart uses the SIDE2 banking ($D5E1 IIRC).

What car type is super SDX? I can't find it on the cart.txt master list.

If super SDX switches itself on/off in response to a READ of $D5E1, that's probably the problem, since the XEX loader will access this location. If it requires a WRITE, it should be ok.

Either way (unless I'm missing something), why not just run SDX from the ultimate cart, rather than have 2 cartridges plugged in?

EDIT - probably the RTC is why you'd rather use this cartridge.

Robin

Edited by electrotrains

super sparta dos x cart has real time clock built in, passes thru to the express cart and that passes thru to ultimate sd cart.... to the best of my knowledge ult cart does not allow stacked rom images to be actively swapped as the icd / oss / orion / fte stacked carts do. The carts pass control to each other so we don't have yank them out etc. just leave them all in and pop in and out of them at will, no reset needed not plugging and unplugging needed.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Since there's no technical info on the vendor's page I had to search for photos to remind myself what the board which fits in the original shell actually has on it. There's a 512KB flash ROM (so, 64x8KB banks), and I seem to recall it using SIDE2 banking. Can't test here anyway, since I don't own a Super SDX cart.

Edited by flashjazzcat

what were the original banking addresses for the ICD/OSS/Orion et al line anyway.. I just don't remember... wonder if it's on the jindroush archive... or someone here can just rattle them off all the same or slightly different?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ascrnet

You don't have to rename the binary file, you have to convert it from BIN to CAR.

I used this webpage to convert it: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241615-easy-rom-to-car-utility/

Regards,

Louis BQ

Not entirely true, all the 8k and 16k carts and even some of the 64k and 128k (XEGS) seem to work fine with them being the original ROM dump.(.ROM, not .BIN) (Some don't so will need to be converted) But if any don't work, doing the conversion to .CAR will do the trick. I had to do that for the Atarimax carts and some switchable XEGS carts.

Edited by tjlazer

• 10 months later...

Jon, how much do I need to pay you to modify the xex loader so I can use this stacked on the Sparta X, Super Sparta X, Orion Express Carts, et al?

I mean you could do it just for me, or you could do it just because it would be incredibly cool, or you could do it so it might work with your GUI cart of the future or.... :)

Jon, how much do I need to pay you to modify the xex loader so I can use this stacked on the Sparta X, Super Sparta X, Orion Express Carts, et al?

I mean you could do it just for me, or you could do it just because it would be incredibly cool, or you could do it so it might work with your GUI cart of the future or.... :)

Why not just load up the AtariMax 1Mb version of SDX? I use that to test all of the R-Time8 replacement carts I sell. Works wonderfully.

Not what I am getting at.... the ultimate cart is plugged in to the top of the stack to save space I use the combined super sparta cart on some of the Atari's as it's time clock is built in, I then have whatever I want on top of that....I switch in and out of the ultimate sd cart on top of that stack, but it's XEX loader won't pass thru because it uses the whole range... it can use a smaller range and still do it's job on xex loading, I would never have to take apart the stack and have it all at my fingertips... I don't have to keeps re selecting stuff, just set it and forget it... or pick whatever and go...... no need to plug and unplug the stack ever.. no need to power cycle the Atari...

Edited by _The Doctor__