1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hmm I like that review from My Life in Gaming! I'm having difficulty understanding what's wrong with some of the audio samples they compared, though.

With Mega Man 3, the only difference I'm hearing is the volume in individual audio channels, which can be adjusted. Is there anything else anyone noticed? Maybe I'm just not hearing the issue.

With Castlevania 3 it just sounds like the audio is slightly more muffled, maybe due to a filter, in comparison with the digital output. I kinda prefer the cleaner sound.

And with Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, that's the lack of a low pass filter in the FDS audio, which was mentioned, it's not there due to FPGA constraints.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Edited by rezb1t

Hmm I like that review from My Life in Gaming! I'm having difficulty understanding what's wrong with some of the audio samples they compared, though.

With Mega Man 3, the only difference I'm hearing is the volume in individual audio channels, which can be adjusted. Is there anything else anyone noticed? Maybe I'm just not hearing the issue.

With Castlevania 3 it just sounds like the audio is slightly more muffled, maybe due to a filter, in comparison with the digital output. I kinda prefer the cleaner sound.

And with Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, that's the lack of a low pass filter in the FDS audio, which was mentioned, it's not there due to FPGA constraints.

Maybe I'm missing something?

honestly I thought the MM3 samples sounded pretty much the same. The famicom has some lowpass filtering in there I think for the audio path, so I obviously don't have this. The FDS has more severe filtering (which is on the RAM adapter itself). The actual audio generation is fine but I think it's just this lack of lowpassing. I kinda like the cleaner sound too, so I think it basically comes down to what you prefer.

The review was pretty awesome though! I will be talking with them on their live stream this sunday at 9PM eastern, btw. That should be a lot of fun.

• Like 6

that's weird, I've had nothing but good results with my 8bitdo controllers. I didn't design them though so I am not sure what other people are experiencing with connectivity issues.

While I'm glad that it works for most people, especially the devs like you :D

I find it a bit frustrating how nothing I've had from 8bitdo has satisfied me enough.

I mean, the NES30 and the Pro are both really well made, except for one thing that ruins it all: the D-pad.

I can't play any MegaMan game from 3 to 6 on this controller, as the dpad is a bit sensitive in a way that makes MegaMan slide into a pit rather than jump over it (because it thinks im pressing down + left / right instead of just left / right)

Both controllers did this, and I've heard complaints from people online about this too. So I gave up completely, but I sure would love it if they fixed it.

I would buy an SNES model for shoulder buttons though, because the NES30's and the Pro's shoulder buttons aren't that comfy.

Edited by veelk55

I'm actually wondering now.

Would it be possible for the NT Mini to use pin-adapters on the NES or Famicom slots to load other cartridges (eg GB/GBC, Sega Master System, Colecovision,C64 cartridge, 2600 cartridge) ? I'm sure none exist at the moment, but it seems like all the 8-bit systems and some 16-bit systems could use the 72pin NES adapter slot. It seems most 8-bit systems have 12 or 16 address lines and 8 data lines, plus a few other connections. The Famicom/NES has two 12-bit address buses and 2 8 bit data buses, it seems like it could be pin-adaptered to anything up to 24-bits of address and 16bits of data. I'd just be more worried about discovering improperly wired pin adapters from China.

@kevtris

Does the Analog NT see that the controller has more than the two buttons ( Y & A )? I was hoping that I could map the buttons in menu, per game, and globally.

Feature requests:

1. Ability to create favorites

2, Core detection by file type ( cores will switch by ROM detection )

2. Cropping, Screen adjustments per game settings. This would help me sort through games like SMB3 that have effects that are normally hidden by over-scan, while maintaining games that don't have issues.

3. Button mapping. Being able to choose what buttons are used on the controller

4. Auto fire mapping

5. Ability to cross out (mark) a title in your ROM's lists. This can be for bug reporting, or just listing a game that doesn't work

6. Controller port swapping feature for 2P games that are not co-op

7. Sega Master System Sprite limit increase (Meaka does this)

8. OC feature for the NES, and SMS

Please share your thoughts on these requests, as I would think are pipe dreams and are limited by the fact this is not a computer.

I was hoping that you would share a road map, and start using GitHub, or some other avenue to bug track and accept feature requests.

Once again, I will say my family doesn't get why I would pay $800.00 CAD for a Nintendo, but each core you release, they seem to get it! They might not understand my connection with COLECO (first console I owned as a kid) but they defiantly were impressed with a few of the titles, and said they looked as good as some of the B grade NES games that were released.

Smurfs brought back so many memories, and the GFX's are still as good as I remember them.

NT Mini can read all 12 bits on a Super Nintendo controller and more. So can an NES, if the game is programmed to fetch more than eight bits. However the extra four buttons and any added functionality by patching an SNES controller into the controller port, is inaccessible if the game fetches only 8-bits. The game would have to request those bits from the controller port in order for the NT Mini to access anything beyond the first eight bits.

For example, some single player games do not poll the player two controller at all. Menu hotkeys will not work in these games when set to use controller 2, since the game never fetches them to begin with. And it has been my experience with the AVS, if a game crash or freeze, you cannot back to the system menu since controller polling has ceased. I imagine NT Mini works in a similar manner.

Remember, the FPGA core does not poll the controllers, analyze the data, then send it to the CPU like an emulator would. The CPU is driving the controller ports directly, resulting in lag free realtime inputs. Obviously any cores for other systems that don't use a series/parallel interface like NES will have to externally poll the controllers and convert it into signals the console CPU can understand.

NT Mini can read all 12 bits on a Super Nintendo controller and more. So can an NES, if the game is programmed to fetch more than eight bits. However the extra four buttons and any added functionality by patching an SNES controller into the controller port, is inaccessible if the game fetches only 8-bits. The game would have to request those bits from the controller port in order for the NT Mini to access anything beyond the first eight bits.

For example, some single player games do not poll the player two controller at all. Menu hotkeys will not work in these games when set to use controller 2, since the game never fetches them to begin with. And it has been my experience with the AVS, if a game crash or freeze, you cannot back to the system menu since controller polling has ceased. I imagine NT Mini works in a similar manner.

Remember, the FPGA core does not poll the controllers, analyze the data, then send it to the CPU like an emulator would. The CPU is driving the controller ports directly, resulting in lag free realtime inputs. Obviously any cores for other systems that don't use a series/parallel interface like NES will have to externally poll the controllers and convert it into signals the console CPU can understand.

Actually this is only partially true. I have an 'automatic' mode that starts operation a few hundred ms if the game does not poll it. Thus it's impossible for the menu to be inaccessible if the game crashes for some reason. If it stops reading the controller the state machine will pick up where it left off. If the game starts reading again, it seamlessly gets control again.

This "automatic" mode will read the controller and determine if you have an NES controller, SNES controller, or that NTT data controller plugged in and read the proper number of bits. If an NES game is running though it is restricted to the usual 8 buttons. This is why you cannot remap controllers. It'd be possible to i.e. read the controllers and pass it to the NES core, but then this would break things like zappers and other non-D pad stuff. In "NES controlled" mode, the NES core is actually polling the controller like normal, and the reads are "piggybacked" as the game reads them. The automatic mode checks to make sure 8 buttons are read, and if not it will start autoscanning.

For the other cores, it uses the same state machine to read the controllers, but the NES part is of course not used so it defaults to auto-scanning.

It is indeed true that on the hi def NES, if the game stops reading the controller for some reason, the menu is no longer accessable. I don't have the luxury of being able to do what amounts to a man in the middle attack on the controller bus there.

• Like 2

Is it possible to run Famicom roms on the NES/Famicom core and access the expansion audio feature? Or do you need the physical cartridge for that?

It auto-selects the proper expansion audio chip depending on the mapper number in the ROM header. If you mean cart expansion audio, then no you cannot select it in this mode.

I'm actually wondering now.

Would it be possible for the NT Mini to use pin-adapters on the NES or Famicom slots to load other cartridges (eg GB/GBC, Sega Master System, Colecovision,C64 cartridge, 2600 cartridge) ? I'm sure none exist at the moment, but it seems like all the 8-bit systems and some 16-bit systems could use the 72pin NES adapter slot. It seems most 8-bit systems have 12 or 16 address lines and 8 data lines, plus a few other connections. The Famicom/NES has two 12-bit address buses and 2 8 bit data buses, it seems like it could be pin-adaptered to anything up to 24-bits of address and 16bits of data. I'd just be more worried about discovering improperly wired pin adapters from China.

I have already planned to make these soon. I have planned 5 or 6 of them and will design them in the next few weeks hopefully. Cartridge adapters and controller adapters.

Would it be possible to use the Mic jack on the NT-mini for the SEGA 3D glasses?

no, it is input only. I was thinking of adding a glasses port on the cart adapter though.

• Like 2

I have one question though. The NT Mini has proven to have more potential than expected with the new cores, and looks like an excellent product. However, knowing that the Z3000 is coming, why should one buy an NT Mini now and not wait for the Z3000, which will support 8 & 16bit systems?

The Z3k might not come out for years. You could ask the same question about any piece of modern technology. Why buy a new phone now when you can buy a better one 2 years from now? Why buy a new laptop now when there will be a better one in a few years? The answer is that you'll be able to enjoy it now! And in the case of FPGA consoles specifically you'll be helping to further the goals and increase the likelihood that future projects get produced.

There's a saying in France (and other francophone countries): "Un 'tiens' vaut mieux que deux 'tu l'auras'". (One "take this now" is better than two "you'll get it later").

The NT Mini costs 450 bucks, and since the FPGA inside it is not quite strong enough to reproduce 16-bit systems, then the Zimba 3000 will probably require a more advanced FPGA, which will likely be more expensive. So if Kevtris waits for a proper FPGA hardware to come along (if it doesn't exist already) AND has to wait for the price of this hardware solution to come down before it can be labelled as affordable for use in the Zimba, then we may easily have to wait a couple of years for Kevtris' next creation. SD card reader, HDMI output, USB ports, etc. will likely not help drive the price down all that much. And then there's the issue of the controllers: If the Zimba has USB ports, then the question of actual compatibility with the plethora of different USB controllers available will come into play. Will specialized drivers be required like it's done on Windows? It could be relatively easy for Kevtris to manage, or it could be hard, tedious and time-consuming.

All of these issues have already been addressed in the NT Mini, and we have a unit that works and plays a ton of great 8-bit games, enough to keep us retro-gamers busy for years. Also, the feedback we give Kevtris through the use of our NT Minis will help him improve the design of the Zimba even more. I haven't received my NT Mini yet, but one thing I will look at is the issue of configuration. I'm hoping there's a way to store my preferred settings for video/sound output for each core within the SD card, because I don't want to fiddle with settings each time I switch to a different core. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :)

would like to see some stereo separation tricks implemented in these fpga systems. I enjoy the stereo mod on an original nes with rgb. Some extra 3d support would be nice. my older lg tv(passive 3d) works some what with these retro 3d games and a set of passive glasses. I have 4 modes to select. sbs,tob,checker board and field shift(flash left and right rapidly) this last mode is the one needed(and sadly missing from my new lg uhd oled). the catch is my lg needs the signal to be 1080p before the needed 3d option is select able. this is where my xrgb mini helps as it will upscale both my rgb modded nes and retro avs to 1080p. I see this new nt mini system does 1080p natively.

And then there's the issue of the controllers: If the Zimba has USB ports, then the question of actual compatibility with the plethora of different USB controllers available will come into play. Will specialized drivers be required like it's done on Windows? It could be relatively easy for Kevtris to manage, or it could be hard, tedious and time-consuming.

I did some research (a few times) and basically there are two problems with USB/Bluetooth

1) Bluetooth is basically "wireless USB", as in you only ever see it implemented as a bridged over USB, even on devices like the Wii. So you need drivers that understand the USB Bluetooth device, and then on top you still need to support the devices synced with it. You will never have BT gamepads with "better latency" than USB because they are USB.

2) USB polls at 125hz. This "good enough" for a digital gamepad (eg most of the things the Z3K would be able to run) but not quite great for an analog one. Essentially there is a circuit in USB controllers that are sampling the pointometers on the analog controls, and the computer just sees whatever the HID driver tells it to. BUT...

You can also switch HID devices to interrupt mode. You can also apparently just set most USB devices to any arbitrary polling rate you want if you know the device supports it. That is frequently done with USB mice. I don't know if this would be needed but there might be some inherent latency in just one mode or the other. It's not like the NES/SNES/Atari/Sega controller buses which are wired to the CPU with no translation effort in the controller or console.

When I was, 12 maybe, My cousin had something that looked like the NES Advantage (which I seem to have, but don't remember buying) but it had a swappable wireless (infrared) box that let you switch it between the Sega Master System and the Nintendo Entertainment System. So I imagine that the whatever was in the box or the cable end didn't have anything complicated in it.

Edited by Kismet

Thanks Kev, great work as always! I did have an issue while testing the 2600 core however. I tried it first via HDMI, it worked great, no issues. But when it hook it up via RGB to my PVM and select the 2600 core, it flips out. As soon as the core loads the screen starts scrolling really fast, and upon trying to back out of the core the Mini freezes up. Restarted, tried other cores, everything is fine, but same results when I tried 2600 again. Any ideas what the issue might be?

• Like 1

I have already planned to make these soon. I have planned 5 or 6 of them and will design them in the next few weeks hopefully. Cartridge adapters and controller adapters.

Glad to hear of the cart adapters being planned. I may jump for a Mini at some point in the future if I come across some spare cash. Since the cores will have the option of running from the cartridge port, I could for instance run Atari Melody homebrew ROMs via Harmony SD cart since the ARM used for DPC+ will not run natively on the FPGA core. And I'd kill for an HD Atari, or just try out some of the 8-bit systems I don't own.

And as for the controller polling issue, that's good to know the NT has an "auto" mode where it polls the controller if the CPU stops. The AVS needs a hard reset if the game crashes, but at least the console boots to menu if even if you set it to automatic, when you remove the cart. I still love my AVS but the jailbroken NT Mini gives it a run for it's money featurewise.

@ Kevtris

Thank you for the reply. The whole Famicom expansion audio thing is fairly new to me, so I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question. Do I need the actual Famicom cartridge for Akamajou Densetsu to have audio like this:

Or should the rom already have the expansion audio built in?

Thank you, and thanks for creating/programming my favorite thing I've ever bought. My budget permitted either an NT Mini or a Nintendo Switch, and almost immediately I knew I made the right choice.

@ Kevtris

Thank you for the reply. The whole Famicom expansion audio thing is fairly new to me, so I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question. Do I need the actual Famicom cartridge for Akamajou Densetsu to have audio like this:

Thank you, and thanks for creating/programming my favorite thing I've ever bought. My budget permitted either an NT Mini or a Nintendo Switch, and almost immediately I knew I made the right choice.

No, just the ROM will be sufficient. You don't even need the PowerPak.

honestly I thought the MM3 samples sounded pretty much the same. The famicom has some lowpass filtering in there I think for the audio path, so I obviously don't have this. The FDS has more severe filtering (which is on the RAM adapter itself). The actual audio generation is fine but I think it's just this lack of lowpassing. I kinda like the cleaner sound too, so I think it basically comes down to what you prefer.

The review was pretty awesome though! I will be talking with them on their live stream this sunday at 9PM eastern, btw. That should be a lot of fun.

Well, maybe I will ask a few audio related questions too. :)

1) Nt mini generates 48khz 16bit audio, so I guess this results in crisper sound and that's cool... But maybe original lower quality NES audio has some nostalgic value as well. Err... something like cd vs vinyl? I love how you recreated the NES composite signal with all the artifacts, is something similar possible for audio, i.e. recreation without all this digital crispness, or are there some technical limitations connected with the analog nature of the audio signal? Original quality audio seems like a nice (optional!!!) feature.

2) If the Famicom "has some lowpass filtering" maybe it could be implemented for expansion audio in your NES core as well (at least optionally), since the expansion audio was originally present on the Famicom and not the NES. :P

3) Kevtris, how do you check your FPGA implementation against original audio? A simple ear test or do you look at some signals (or maybe both)?

4) Some time ago you talked about problems with implementing "external analog hardware" for your C64 core. Could you explain this in more detail? I don't know much about the Commodore... :grin:

Edited by retro_fan

Actually this is only partially true. I have an 'automatic' mode that starts operation a few hundred ms if the game does not poll it. Thus it's impossible for the menu to be inaccessible if the game crashes for some reason. If it stops reading the controller the state machine will pick up where it left off. If the game starts reading again, it seamlessly gets control again.

This "automatic" mode will read the controller and determine if you have an NES controller, SNES controller, or that NTT data controller plugged in and read the proper number of bits. If an NES game is running though it is restricted to the usual 8 buttons. This is why you cannot remap controllers. It'd be possible to i.e. read the controllers and pass it to the NES core, but then this would break things like zappers and other non-D pad stuff. In "NES controlled" mode, the NES core is actually polling the controller like normal, and the reads are "piggybacked" as the game reads them. The automatic mode checks to make sure 8 buttons are read, and if not it will start autoscanning.

Ahh I think you explained this to me in IRC but I didn't understand! Guess that means TASBot won't be useful for this console, but thinking about the tradeoffs, I think you made the right choice. Always being able to access the menu + provide a power-on key combo for consumers seems much more important.

Well, maybe I will ask a few audio related questions too. :)

1) Nt mini generates 48khz 16bit audio, so I guess this results in crisper sound and that's cool... But maybe original lower quality NES audio has some nostalgic value as well. Err... something like cd vs vinyl? I love how you recreated the NES composite signal with all the artifacts, is something similar possible for audio, i.e. recreation without all this digital crispness, or are there some technical limitations connected with the analog nature of the audio signal? Original quality audio seems like a nice (optional!!!) feature.

2) If the Famicom "has some lowpass filtering" maybe it could be implemented for expansion audio in your NES core as well (at least optionally), since the expansion audio was originally present on the Famicom and not the NES. :P

3) Kevtris, how do you check your FPGA implementation against original audio? A simple ear test or do you look at some signals (or maybe both)?

4) Some time ago you talked about problems with implementing "external analog hardware" for your C64 core. Could you explain this in more detail? I don't know much about the Commodore... :grin:

The NES is generating digital sound too though. The only differences I can tell is that all NES/Famicoms have an awful 60hz buzz due to the video trace coming too close to the audio trace, and that the audio mixing circuit tends to filter the output, usually with a low-pass filter. (Which honestly the low-pass filter was probably added to make it difficult to hear the 60hz buzz)

I'm kinda surprised low-pass filtering is wanted, when I bought a Twin Famicom a few years ago the first thing I did was clip the low-pass filter off of the board to get cleaner sound! I can understand that accuracy is desired, though.

Please don't bring back that horrible 60hz buzz. I'm so glad it's not present here. :P

Edited by rezb1t
  • Like 1

@ Kevtris

Yes, Powerpak got the VRC6 audio nearly perfect. If there's one area where the Powerpak trumps the Everdrive, it was the expansion audio. My friend and I played the entire game through the PowerPak, and it was amazing...

Ahh I think you explained this to me in IRC but I didn't understand! Guess that means TASBot won't be useful for this console, but thinking about the tradeoffs, I think you made the right choice. Always being able to access the menu + provide a power-on key combo for consumers seems much more important.

TASbot should work on the AVS in theory, if you set the menu to automatically load the game on power on. This could also be used to cheat on Scoreboard. And this goes without saying, but please don't submit scores if you decide to run a TASbot. I bought an Arduino and some parts a long time ago to build a TASbot, never got around to it.

The NES is generating digital sound too though. The only differences I can tell is that all NES/Famicoms have an awful 60hz buzz due to the video trace coming too close to the audio trace, and that the audio mixing circuit tends to filter the output, usually with a low-pass filter. (Which honestly the low-pass filter was probably added to make it difficult to hear the 60hz buzz)

I'm kinda surprised low-pass filtering is wanted, when I bought a Twin Famicom a few years ago the first thing I did was clip the low-pass filter off of the board to get cleaner sound! I can understand that accuracy is desired, though.

Please don't bring back that horrible 60hz buzz. I'm so glad it's not present here. :P

"Low Pass" filtering actually means high frequencies get cut. "high pass" filtering is where the low end of the audio is removed. Actually the NES triangle is capable of creating quite low notes, quite effective for "bass guitar" effects in chiptune carts. My AV Famicom has ever so slightly weaker bass output than the NES toaster, but other than that, the audio is nearly flawless and noise free. I wanted to modify the "high pass" filter on my AV Famicom with a larger electrolytic cap, but am unsure of which component on the PCB needs replacing.

• Like 1

[...]

Yeah, you're right it's digital, I simply got too much into the cd vs vinyl analogy. :ponder: Hmm... But this "48khz 16bit" does mean something, doesn't it? I have nothing against bringing back the buzz as an option. You can already find there settings which do much worse things to sound than some buzzing. :)

I'm not sure kevtris referred to the Twin Famicom in the fragment I quoted...

Yeah, you're right it's digital, I simply got too much into the cd vs vinyl analogy. :ponder: Hmm... But this "48khz 16bit" does mean something, doesn't it? I have nothing against bringing back the buzz as an option. You can already find there settings which do much worse things to sound than some buzzing. :)

I'm not sure kevtris referred to the Twin Famicom in the fragment I quoted...

Yeah the buzzing thing was more a joke, but it was something that bothered me with my famicoms :P He didn't refer to the Twin Famicom, but the Twin Famicom has a low-pass filter in it, similar to the Famicom Disk System and original Famicom

options for filters would be neat, not sure if there's space for them though

Edited by rezb1t
  • Like 1

Just tested out a bunch of Atari 2600 games, I feel like I actually have a shot at beating these now! I think I always got slaughtered because of the joystick. There's so many games that the NT Mini can play, it's overwhelming (in the best way possible)! Also been playing Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Unfortunately have never seen a Sega Master System in person, but I've had a lot of fun playing this one. I have no idea how to get farther than a certain point though

Edited by rezb1t
  • Like 1