3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hello Kevtris,

I have one request and one problem.

First the problem. I cant get the Nintendo World Championships 1990 to run is it a known problem?

Now the request could you move the NSF Player to the end of the core list being the first option seems wierd since most of us will be using this machine to play nes/famicom games.

Thank you for all your hard work. :)

Hello Kevtris,

I have one request and one problem.

First the problem. I cant get the Nintendo World Championships 1990 to run is it a known problem?

Now the request could you move the NSF Player to the end of the core list being the first option seems wierd since most of us will be using this machine to play nes/famicom games.

Thank you for all your hard work. :)

the cart version? yeah this could be because I don't handle the CIC reset yet. I can control it but I have not written any code to do so. It's hard to test without a cart that needs it. I can't move the nsf player to the bottom because it is entry 0 in the list.

• Like 2

BTW, you said three ticks. Are you using zero based indexing (leftmost tick = 0) or one based indexing (leftmost tick = 1)?

I guess it would be the 3rd position with one based indexing. In other words, move slider all the way to the left (1:1), and then hit right twice. I've also experimented with moving the slider all the way to the right-most position (full screen stretch) and then setting the TV to 4:3. I liked this mode, but having to change my particular TV in and out of 4:3 mode is a pain due to the slow menus.

• Like 1

Anyone have Composite/S-video working on the v1.3JB firmware?

I wanted to try out the NT mini on my old TV but can't seem to get it to work with the composite cable I bought from Monoprice(I bought the one listed on the analogue's FAQ). The weird thing is, I tried the component cable from Monoprice after the composite didn't work and plugged the green cable into the yellow plug of my TV to see if I'd at least get a black and white picture. Sure enough I did, the menu showed up. But it stated it was in composite/S-video mode! I thought component still used palettes like RGB?

Is it maybe going into component mode on the composite cable and vice versa for the component cable?

It's very possible I'm just confused or am messing something up, any help would be appreciated

Edited by rezb1t

Cart adapter update!

I have designed the Atari 2600 cartridge adapter PCB. I used the PCB material to make the little doodads that open up the cartridge shutters. This saves trying to make something rube goldberg to do it. On the PCB, a 24 pin edge connector is soldered straddle-mount to the PCB. There will be some plexi on either side of the board, along with a cartridge "guide". The whole thing will be held together with spacers and screws. I positioned the mounting screws such that they will not hit the nt mini enclosure and will be fully above it to prevent damaging the finish. They can be countersunk as well, but figured better safe than sorry.

Also, I have made the ps2 to fami expansion adapter. This is a very simple board, and the 6 pin mini din and the DB15 simple straddle the PCB and solder to it. No wires are needed. The entire thing will fit inside a plastic DB15 housing. Anyways, here's some pics:

2600adapter.png

ps2adapter.png

• Like 8

the cart version? yeah this could be because I don't handle the CIC reset yet. I can control it but I have not written any code to do so. It's hard to test without a cart that needs it. I can't move the nsf player to the bottom because it is entry 0 in the list.

Sorry the rom version. Do you have a format you want bug reports submitted in? Its a bummer you cant move the NSF player but if thats how it is its no big deal. It would just be a nice to have.

I had to make a tough decision between Kevtris amazing work on the Nt-Mini and Kevtris awesome work on Zimba 3000.

And the winner was Kevtris awesome work on Zimba 3000. I'm saving money for the ultimate zimba with most, if not all, adapters for cartridges and controllers available.

Thank you, Kevtris for all your generosity with the cores and for all the time and effort put into your work.

It's a pitty I can't afford both systems...

• Like 1

I had to make a tough decision between Kevtris amazing work on the Nt-Mini and Kevtris awesome work on Zimba 3000.

And the winner was Kevtris awesome work on Zimba 3000. I'm saving money for the ultimate zimba with most, if not all, adapters for cartridges and controllers available.

Thank you, Kevtris for all your generosity with the cores and for all the time and effort put into your work.

It's a pitty I can't afford both systems...

Well I strongly doubt the Z3k is coming out any time in the next few months or possibly even a year or two so you may want to get a NT mini for now and save up in the mean time and just sell it later. Given the build quality I'm sure if you take care of it that it will retain a large portion of its value.

$445 dollars right now for the NT Mini. Emulation based systems are usually under $200. Raspberry Pi systems with ReptroPie are even cheaper. PC emulation is practically free.

I personally don't see the price hike compared to similar experiences. Not even for homebrew development since FPGA hardware - while physical in nature - will always have different tolerances than original models.

$445 dollars right now for the NT Mini. Emulation based systems are usually under $200. Raspberry Pi systems with ReptroPie are even cheaper. PC emulation is practically free.

I personally don't see the price hike compared to similar experiences. Not even for homebrew development since FPGA hardware - while physical in nature - will always have different tolerances than original models.

Emulation is not without its problems. Most systems are far from 100% compatible via emulator and emulators often don't run at the proper speeds which can cause all kinds of problems or simply makes things feel wrong because they are not occurring as you are used to. One example would be that the default speed of Project64 was set to 1.5x by default for some crazy reason which made the Beaver Race in Majora's Mask 100% unplayable until I figured out even on a perfect run without hitting any obstacles I was still 5 seconds short. (didn't figure out the timing was off until I watched a youtube video showing someone beat it with several mistakes and time to spare)

http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=4046

If you don't mind the fact that the system you are playing on may have all kinds of speed issues as a result of making all kinds of hacks to get it to run at the same speed as the console because it can't do that while emulating the hardware and the random and sometimes undocumented compatibility issues then you should absolutely save your money and get a Retroblox (looks like a promising emulator box).

If you have the skills to set up a Pi and the fpga know how to get that working then go for it but so far the NT Mini is the only fpga device with Kev's cores and Mist is a bit glitchy so I guess you would have to program it yourself. Goodluck with that.

If you want exact hardware reproduction with hdmi out and the ability to use the correct controller with it and read actual games or sd card backups then your only option right now is the NT Mini. What it offers for what it costs is a steal if your alternative is collecting and modding the original consoles and buying everdrives for them all. Not to mention some of them don't even have hdmi out mods let alone 0 latency hdmi out with upscaling. Heck one or two of them don't even have everdrives. I mean this costs like $200 less than just buying a NeoGeo used with no games.

Edited by Wolf_

I see the Z3K coming in 2-3 years at best. I also expect it to be more expensive and to have its specs upgraded compared to what we know of it today.

Meantime there is free software emulation on the PC. Or R-Pi if you want to fart around with non-PC hardware.

How good is R-Pi lag wise compared to PC?

I just discovered this news today :o Raspberry Pi now supports non-interlaced 240p via composite!

https://np.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/5wuai2/raspberry_pi_now_support_240p_over_composite/

Edited by veelk55
  • Like 1

Finally used the vga/component cable with my Nt mini to my Sony KV-27FS100. GLORIUS!! There is no way for me to go back to HDMI/4k tv. I just can't. This looks absolutely fantastic! Bonus is that the input lag is non-existent. LOVE IT!

Edited by F34R

Well, it looks like I have somehow justified it to myself to order an NT Mini tomorrow, fingers crossed there will be enough stock . The price tag is frightening but it seems to be an amazing bit of kit. Looking back at the first page I commented that $200-$250 would be the price i'd pay, i'm way off that price mark but have been waiting for an FPGA system like this for years. The existing cores are value enough, particularly the Atari 2600, NES and Gameboy Colour are systems I know well, my wife used to have a Master System so know she will enjoy it too. Looking forward to the future cores and keen to see how far this hardware can be pushed, I know its probably a long way down the to do list but do you think the NT Mini will be capable of running the Atari Lynx or will that have to wait for the Zimba 3000?

Hope Kevin is rewarded by the number of units sold!

• Like 1

Sorry the rom version. Do you have a format you want bug reports submitted in? Its a bummer you cant move the NSF player but if thats how it is its no big deal. It would just be a nice to have.

I tested it here several times, it works fine. remember to start it you need to use the second controller.

• Like 2

Well, it looks like I have somehow justified it to myself to order an NT Mini tomorrow, fingers crossed there will be enough stock . The price tag is frightening but it seems to be an amazing bit of kit. Looking back at the first page I commented that $200-$250 would be the price i'd pay, i'm way off that price mark but have been waiting for an FPGA system like this for years. The existing cores are value enough, particularly the Atari 2600, NES and Gameboy Colour are systems I know well, my wife used to have a Master System so know she will enjoy it too. Looking forward to the future cores and keen to see how far this hardware can be pushed, I know its probably a long way down the to do list but do you think the NT Mini will be capable of running the Atari Lynx or will that have to wait for the Zimba 3000?

Hope Kevin is rewarded by the number of units sold!

the nt mini definitely can do the lynx, in fact I got a minor chubby to get the lynx done. It's a really weird and interesting system, but with that LCD it's kind of hard to play. I have set up a lynx with breakouts so I can reverse engineer the bus timing. Fortunately there's a decent document on how it all works, though I will probably need some more information since I am not 100% clear how the sprite system works, other than it's really weird and interesting.

• Like 3

the nt mini definitely can do the lynx, in fact I got a minor chubby to get the lynx done. It's a really weird and interesting system, but with that LCD it's kind of hard to play. I have set up a lynx with breakouts so I can reverse engineer the bus timing. Fortunately there's a decent document on how it all works, though I will probably need some more information since I am not 100% clear how the sprite system works, other than it's really weird and interesting.

Thats good news, when you get around to it please do some videos on it as it is an unusual/interesting system. Quite underrated in my opinion, quite a few good games.

Incredible stuff from Kevtris - thanks for your work! I'm a a fan of his work and I've been using the HiDef Nes on a model 1 Analogue NT since it was released.

I'm gonna try to pick up an nt mini..quick question if anyone knows, was there mention of doing a 5200 core at some point?

Also , are there any options for using a paddle controller for 2600/7800?

Ok thanks~!

Edited by funkwad
  • Like 1

Has anyone tested the Wonder Boy 3 - The Dragon's Trap (UE) [!] FM HACK.sms

I was reading on SMSpower that this hack tricks the real console into enabling FM into working.

I have FM enabled, and I tried BIOS regions, and I just can't get it to work. I'm wondering if this is a bug atm, or if there is a step I am missing. I have tested in FUSION and it works fine with USA BIOS, and USA region selected. (not saying that means anything)

But the experiences aren't similar at all IMO. Just the lag alone that gets added with software emulation is enough to ruin the experience for many games.

I've been using software emulators for the past 15 years, but after experiencing FPGA I will never go back (assuming a well implemented FPGA option exists).

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 2