2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Question to kevtris.

Does the CV core also encompass the Super Game Module? (32K RAM + AY-3-8910)

it doesn't but it could. I didn't want to implement stuff like that if it'd step on peoples' toes if they are trying to sell hardware or something. If it's just 32K + AY-3-8910 I could add it in an hour or two. I have the AY-3-8910 done (it's on the gamate and intv) so dropping it in and adding more RAM would be super easy.

Part of the problem I have on 'fan created' hardware like this is sometimes finding documentation can be very difficult. It'll be buried in some 50 page thread (seems familiar, eh? hehe) making it hard to find. I had this problem with 2600 homebrew mappers and games. Just finding the information was difficult. I had someone ask me what mapper a 2600 homebrew was, but after reading the entire thread I still didn't know. It had absolutely no mapper information listed anywhere so I still am at a loss as to what mapper it is. That game was "zippy the porcupine". 2600 games don't have headers, so I guess you're supposed to determine the mapper by osmosis.

If there's a decent spec for fan hardware people want me to add, I am more than happy to add it! Provided it's not insane. (i.e. YM2151 is kind of insane right now, which I think is on that 7800 expansion doodad). But extra RAM and AY-3-8910, we got dis.

• Like 2

I am having a problem with the 7800 core. After I try to load the core I get a error message. Core Not Found!. Is this a problem with the BIOS file?

did you replace the /system/ directory on the SD card with the new one? that's where the cores live.

• Like 1

it doesn't but it could. I didn't want to implement stuff like that if it'd step on peoples' toes if they are trying to sell hardware or something. If it's just 32K + AY-3-8910 I could add it in an hour or two. I have the AY-3-8910 done (it's on the gamate and intv) so dropping it in and adding more RAM would be super easy.

Part of the problem I have on 'fan created' hardware like this is sometimes finding documentation can be very difficult. It'll be buried in some 50 page thread (seems familiar, eh? hehe) making it hard to find. I had this problem with 2600 homebrew mappers and games. Just finding the information was difficult. I had someone ask me what mapper a 2600 homebrew was, but after reading the entire thread I still didn't know. It had absolutely no mapper information listed anywhere so I still am at a loss as to what mapper it is. That game was "zippy the porcupine". 2600 games don't have headers, so I guess you're supposed to determine the mapper by osmosis.

If there's a decent spec for fan hardware people want me to add, I am more than happy to add it! Provided it's not insane. (i.e. YM2151 is kind of insane right now, which I think is on that 7800 expansion doodad). But extra RAM and AY-3-8910, we got dis.

Coolcv emulates the Super Game Module so it seems like it should not be a problem.

pins 5, 10, and 15 when grounded in various patterns (I think it's listed. if not I will list it here) selects between RGB, composite/svideo and component modes.

the nt mini does not output 5V on any pin of that connector. When I designed it, I didn't know scart needed it, since scart is a unicorn connector here. I have never seen scart in real life on any tv or monitor.

I see. :)

In the documentation it says it should pick 5V from the USB, this works as well. :) Gonna be a SCART to USB/D15/RCA :)

Wonder if the R, G, B can be connected directly in the SCART? Mine cable from retrocablesuk have caps in between. Getting a greenish tint, seems that Red signal is missing. ( not a scrolling pattern like sync problem) The signal is really crisp so its defenetly RGB, but no Red.

Very wierd...

I used the BNC 5 connector with a friend's Sony pvm to check rgb, analogue has it listed here: https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/115000923948-Using-Analog-Video-output-with-the-Nt-mini

Weird though, they also recommend retrogamingcables on the same page..

Yea, contacted support again and asked about it, sure it should be supported if they are recommend them from their site.

Might use multimeter and check if there is anyting on the Red.

Are there any caps between the RGB signal and your BNC connector?

Hmm seems like that's almost enough to do the MSX.

If anyone was wondering whether a Patreon can be a viable financing option, CEMU (experimental Wii U emulator) is now at the $13,000 a month level. I guess this is is somewhat related to this news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vBE7Ueas7E

Well... How is this connected with the Nt mini/Z3K you ask? For instance, Kevtris' reply to whether Sega and TG-16/PCE CD hardware will be supported should not be "the amount of work for it is insane" because it makes it sound as if he wants to suddenly stop working on the Z3K after release (we know that you're working on this alone, and it's not like we cannot wait 2-3 years after the Z3K release for CD hardware support), but instead "I need more funds, I'm setting a new goal on my Patreon page". :P If time is money than more money means more time. :)

This CD hardware matter was just an example, but continuous Zimba 3000 support would ensure that new units are being sold.

• Like 1

Maybe this is related? Some retrogamingcables have had issues.

I actually am still getting issues even without the retrogamingcables, but it's something to check out

Something that could help narrow it down would be to try the composite, component, or rgb video cables from monoprice. My NT Mini came with an issue where it won't output composite, in component the R-Y signal is missing, and in RGB the R signal is missing. Turns out they all come from the same pin (pin 1). It could also be an issue with one of the other pins, not sure.

I had to contact customer support and sent my NT Mini in, due to this.

Unfortunately, I found one more report of the same issue on twitter, so perhaps there are more consoles out there with the issue.

https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/839902281772466176

As for detection, if Pins 4 and 5 are connected then the NT Mini will know to output composite video

Im sure I have the same problem. I disconnected the Red signal in my RGB cable, and the color was exactly the same, that means the Red signal is missing for RGB. The pin1 issue...

I live in sweden, its not an easy task to return it for repair. seems that a connections is... bad?

Kevtris,

I get the feeling that you are too proud to ask for money, or worried about perceived obligations.

Patreon is not like kickstarter, with a promised deliverable and deadline. It is a community of enthusiasts that want to support their favorite long term projects.

The funds from an account could help with ordering prototype PCBs, making plastic injection molds, and acquiring tools like pick and place machine.

I would personally contribute to such a project, because I like the idea of hardware preservation with FPGA.

Eventually, CRTs will be gone, cartridge connectors will wear out, and replacement parts will dry up.

Please consider the advise from everyone on the forum, and youtube. I think you would be happy with the outcome.

-daschewie

• Like 3

I too wouldn't have any objection to funding him. If he could make this a very profitable full time job because 10,000 thought it was worth at least a dollar a month then the faster I get to enjoy his products. If that got me a spot on a pre-order list at full price I wouldn't object to that either =p

(Just pulling numbers out of my ass on this one so don't bother debating me about the math. If it is worth $10 a month to only 50 people and that buys a week of his time to focus on things then I would be happy with that too)

• Like 1

Given the price range is totally different for both expansions I don't really see the "toe stepping" but I've been told I can be an axxhole before (and I said it myself too) so what do I know!?

Regarding the XM just ditching the 2151 would still give a hell of a bang for the money for the homebrews (the 128K RAM + Pokey) granted that if you implemented the full Commando mapper (that is 512K of ROM [all 32 16K pages not just 8 are mappeable in the original PCB] + pokey) I don't really see the need for 128K RAM as a lot can be prepared there like the NES games use to do, it's not that we are attempting to do 3D engines or such are we?

It would be hilarious if you ship XM support (minus 2151) before the XM itself does (alas there's no stable BIOS for it I'm told).

SGM should be a no brainer, 90US$ vs 450US$ does not make it a competitor, and if some CV owners do cross over onto kevtris Core Store they would appreciate being able to play the games [in original cart form no less].

Finally consider the MSX route even just to support the Zemmix (Korean MSX in a cart console, you can limit to MSX1 as it is already all there anyway, the minimum RAM to run the MSX1 carts seemed to be a meager 8KB that's why many ports MSX->SMS work that well already (hop to smspower.org to see what I mean), I'd aim for 16K/32K but you are the best of judge.

Last, can we all get peace of mind in knowing you do get paid on every sale of the Nt Mini so the Core Store is actually paying you back?

[i don't have an Nt Mini, don't plan yet on buying one, but wouldn't mind to chip in for the Z3K]

• Like 1

That's right, it doesn't unless you use the analog outputs. I don't know why they chose to make the game this way unless it was a bug. I thought there was a bug in my implementation for awhile until I watched some youtube videos, then realized that nope that is how it is supposed to look. even with composite it's still kinda ugly. jinx is another game that does this too, but only on the title screen.

It was because the same person was porting the game to both the Atari 8-bit home computers and the Atari 7800 at the same time, but canceled the 8-bit port. I am glad you support composite artifact color in your 7800 core!

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

I just tried the latest custom firmware (VERJB1.5) and hit a bug in the initial configuration. I can't seem to change the width in video settings. It always says 7x width, and if I change it to 6x, and then hit "A" (back), and then immediately select "Width & Position" again, it will have reverted back to 7x. This seems to effect both the root menu and most of core specific video settings menus (only one I've tried so far that didn't do it was 7800). None of the other video settings I've tried seem to have this issue.

Need to run but can't wait to play with it more :)

I hereby declare that I will donate $5/month to a Patreon for Kevtris to develop the next two main cores I care about: Genesis & SNES!! All I would want for this are updates on his progress. Don't need anything else, just updates. And after he develops those two cores, I think the Zimba 3000 would be a very very worthy purchase. I'd also pledge on a machine from the first/one of the first runs hoping its $300 but would part with $600 if I had to :)

Edited by brentonius
  • Like 1

I just tried the latest custom firmware (VERJB1.5) and hit a bug in the initial configuration. I can't seem to change the width in video settings. It always says 7x width, and if I change it to 6x, and then hit "A" (back), and then immediately select "Width & Position" again, it will have reverted back to 7x. This seems to effect both the root menu and most of core specific video settings menus (only one I've tried so far that didn't do it was 7800). None of the other video settings I've tried seem to have this issue.

Need to run but can't wait to play with it more :)

I can confirm seeing the same behaviour. The Save option does not seem to save the width selection either in the default menu options, or the core ones (NES, SMS, and Game Gear are the ones I've used so far).

I see. :)

In the documentation it says it should pick 5V from the USB, this works as well. :) Gonna be a SCART to USB/D15/RCA :)

Wonder if the R, G, B can be connected directly in the SCART? Mine cable from retrocablesuk have caps in between. Getting a greenish tint, seems that Red signal is missing. ( not a scrolling pattern like sync problem) The signal is really crisp so its defenetly RGB, but no Red.

Very wierd...

Yea, contacted support again and asked about it, sure it should be supported if they are recommend them from their site.

Might use multimeter and check if there is anyting on the Red.

Are there any caps between the RGB signal and your BNC connector?

That sounds exactly like my problem :( I didn't modify the cable, but I did try 75ohm terminators but they didn't seem to be necessary for the pvm I tried and didn't make a difference, unfortunately.

My console just got to analogue on Friday so hopefully on Monday I'll get some news back! I know of 3 people with the same issue so far, I'm hoping analogue will offer easy replacements/repair to those who need it. I can imagine that shipping back from Sweden would be costly and frustrating..

It does seem to be a simple issue, maybe one of the pins just doesn't have a good connection. I thought about opening mine up to try to take a look but given the price, I just mailed it out. Maybe there's a simple soldering fix? It's hard for me to say..

Edited by rezb1t