2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's not a hope so much as a guarantee.

If you don't want an aluminum shell, a crappy 8bitdo controller, and don't need the analog outputs, I think cancelling it is a no-brainer.

The weird part about the shipping is the cost doesn't change if you order more than 1. Added scalper incentives I guess lol.

I was curious about the shipping price again so I just went through like I was going to pre-order another one and the shipping is $4 less than my first pre-order, lol. My first Super Nt was $30.96 and if I bought a second one right now shipping would be $26.96

Edited by Toth

I was curious about the shipping price again so I just went through like I was going to pre-order another one and the shipping is $4 less than my first pre-order, lol. My first Super Nt was $30.96 and if I bought a second one right now shipping would be $26.96

Mine was $37.11!! I was having second thoughts about if I wanted to cancel the SFC version and get the black, so maybe I'll have to go take another look!

Edit: And mine now is also $4 cheaper....strange....

Edited by jamon1567

There are six Super Scope-only games

Battle Clash

Bazooka Blitzkrieg

Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge

Super NES Super Scope 6

X-Zone

Yoshi's Safari

Five Super Scope optional games :

The Hunt for Red October

Lamborghini: American Challenge

Operation Thunderbolt

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Tin Star

And one Konami Justifier game :

Lethal Enforcers

Some people still want analog output.

In the Retronauts article they quoted the CEO as saying that they'd release a limited edition one with analog if enough people want it, so......stay tuned?

I do hope that Kevin jailbreaks this thing and provides the 16 bit cores he's been working on, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little anxious about that. In the Polygon article the CEO was also talking about how they want to keep releasing systems, specifically getting away from Nintendo ones as the core offerings. I'm hoping they're not, lets say, looking at releasing a Genesis etc and then those cores never come out for this. Regardless, the price is still worth it for an FPGA SNES that plays everything the SNES has to offer. Although they may also be thinking that they can sell me a Genesis, PCE and Neo Geo package for a similar price as well. And they'd prob be right lol :-D

• Like 2

Still some questions.

Since it share alot with the Nt mini, can the mini handle tne SNES core?

Does it fit due to missing analogue support?

Can a Nt mini core be made with just HDMI support for the SNES?

Will the Super NT have the support for the 8-bit cores that is already available for the Nt mini?

Even if a jailbreak is much plausible, its not confirmed.

Would like to know this before pre-order..

Happy owner to a Nt mini, and still will be due to the analogue support.

• Like 1

Still some questions.

Since it share alot with the Nt mini, can the mini handle tne SNES core?

Does it fit due to missing analogue support?

Can a Nt mini core be made with just HDMI support for the SNES?

Will the Super NT have the support for the 8-bit cores that is already available for the Nt mini?

Even if a jailbreak is much plausible, its not confirmed.

Would like to know this before pre-order..

Happy owner to a Nt mini, and still will be due to the analogue support.

NT mini can't do 16-bit cores, ever, period. Super NT has a much more powerful FPGA (yes, still based on Cyclon V, but not the same)

Super NT will have the support for all the 8-bit cores when it's released.

Jailbreak doesn't need to be confirmed, followers of this thread know exactly where this is going...

RIP Zimba 3000 (1999-2017)

I'm guessing when Analogue talks about future non-nintendo products they're thinking of the same fpga inside a different shell. For those who want built in genesis cart/controller support or neo geo or turbo or whatever. Would be pretty easy to make once kevtris has the cores done and at the 190 price point they'd sell a ton to people who just want a plug and play solution for their personal favorite system, and don't wanna mess with hacked firmwares and stuff.

Side note, does anyone know how hard the neo geo core is to make compared to snes? I know snes took forever and I'd imagine neo geo would be tougher considering the price of the flash cart, but I have no idea. Has kevtris talked about it?

Edited by Tusecsy
  • Like 1

NT mini can't do 16-bit cores, ever, period. Super NT has a much more powerful FPGA (yes, still based on Cyclon V, but not the same)

Super NT will have the support for all the 8-bit cores when it's released.

Jailbreak doesn't need to be confirmed, followers of this thread know exactly where this is going...

RIP Zimba 3000 (1999-2017)

I dont know what is pointing to exactly that there will be a jailbreak on the new one in this thread.

Is there any specific differences on the Cyclone V. "not the same", based upon what fact.?

It might be able to do it without the analogue support in the core. Might save resources.

Anyways, think I will preorder one. There is so little SNES love on the HDMI-circus...

I dont know what is pointing to exactly that there will be a jailbreak on the new one in this thread.

Is there any specific differences on the Cyclone V. "not the same", based upon what fact.?

It might be able to do it without the analogue support in the core. Might save resources.

Anyways, think I will preorder one. There is so little SNES love on the HDMI-circus...

The Super NT webpage says Altera Cyclone V:

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

From the Polygon interview:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/16481824/super-nt-super-nintendo-analogue

“The Super NT PCB is the exact same componentry and PCB as the original NT mini, except for analog AV components removed, obviously it’s been adapted to play Super Famicom/Super Nintendo games, and it actually has a bigger, more powerful, more expensive FPGA. The Super Nintendo is much more sophisticated, and requires more power to be able to implement via FPGA.”

• Like 1

I was wondering at first as well, especially considering the price (how could it be better than the nt mini?). but yes it is confirmed it is a much more powerful fpga.

it will be jailbroken to play snes roms off the card immediately, and the 8-bit cores as well. the timeline on things like genesis, tg16, neogeo are up in the air however. could be days, months, who knows. they are comin though, that's what this thread is all about.

Side note, does anyone know how hard the neo geo core is to make compared to snes?

I can't speak to it on all that technical of a level, but the NeoGeo is basically a Sega Genesis on steroids (both are a 68k processor with a Z80 for sound) with a monster sprite engine attached. There are obviously many differences, but it does mean that a significant chunk of the work implementing a Genesis FPGA core could be used to jumpstart a NeoGeo core. If nothing else, you wouldn't need to re-implement the 68k or Z80.

it will be jailbroken to play snes roms off the card immediately, and the 8-bit cores as well.

You can't know that. Some of the fx chips are literally double the power of the snes with added ram and all kinds of things.

For example the St-011 requires 54kb of Block Ram and the ST-018 chip requires an ARMv3 core with 128kB of embedded program ROM, 32kB data ROM, and 16kB RAM. Specs that are out of reach for the fpga in the $200 sd2snes which is cart only and costs more than this console does.

​Smart money would say that unless Analogue is using a more powerful AND more affordable chip or bought in such volume it became discounted enough to offer it at this pricepoint then we won't receive snes rom support for all fx chips.

And as for nt mini cores being able to be run on the super nt; that is entirely possible however the hardware differences could require some tweaking to be done. It certainly is not something you can claim will be available immediately.

We won't have any 100% answers until Kevtris posts so don't treat anything as "confirmed" or "fact" without neither confirmations nor facts until then.

Edited by Wolf_
  • Like 3

Some people still want analog output.

Too bad no analog av out...

Called it!

Why do you say this? It would raise the price and increase the level of complexity, which means more things to break. There are plenty of ways to play SNES on an analog TV already, it's not like the original hardware is hard to find. I would think that anyone willing to pay the asking price probably already has a SNES. What problem would adding analog out to a modern FPGA solve? I'm genuinely curious.

• Like 2

FPGA RAM limitations only apply if you're trying to use the onboard RAM. It's possible that Kevtris has chosen to use external RAM. The SNES itself already has ~256KB of CPU/APU/PPU RAM, and FPGA onboard RAM rarely seems to fall into such even numbers, so there'd be a certain amount extra. It'd be helpful if we knew what exact model of Cyclone V was used.