1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Both of your guys may be right. Why not allow Kevtris to release jailbreak software for Super NT, increasing sales, then turn around and release a Mega NT (with bonus Atari 2600 cartridge adapter as add-on for those who want it) and release jailbreak software for it as well? Two SKUs with essentially the same guts but different cartridge interfaces isn't out of the realm of impossibility.

Mega NT still needs cartridge adapter for Atari because Melody emulation is not in the cards. Other than that, the world is your oyster. I would buy both the Super and Mega variants if Analogue put them out. And wouldn't it be something if they could get a licensed deal with Sega and retool the original Model 1 molds, assuming Sega was still in posession? Throw an Atari port on the Power Base Converter.

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

Nothing stopping Analogue from releasing both Super NT and a Mega NT, and allowing Kevtris to unofficially release jailbreak software for both. icon_biggrinwink.gif

I would be interested in a Super Nt and Mega Nt even if they were internally identical. I could probably think of an exhausted list but here are a some reasons:

1. Plug and play convenience. I wouldn't want to have to unplug a SEGA cart adaptor, SEGA controllers, SEGA flash cart, etc. and then plug in all the Super NES stuff to make it a Super NES again then do it all over again to play a SEGA game. I rather just leave all the Super NES stuff plugged into the Super Nt and SEGA stuff plugged into the Mega Nt with unplugging happening just at the TV. I think those kind of things are best for saving later with the Z3K. However, I wouldn't mind buying all of this stuff just to tinker around with occasionally and/or to use as a beta tester to help with his ideas for how to make it all work well on the Z3K but I wouldn't want to use them this way for daily use.

2. With two separate consoles it wouldn't be exactly known which other cores people would be playing around with but it would be known that it is very likely that all Super Nt owners are using the Super NES core and all Mega Nt owners are using the SEGA core. That seems like it would make it easier for Kevtris to get bugs reported with better support for these cores while also giving some beta testing for the Z3K.

3. If I end up buying many Nt consoles and later the Z3K is released I might not feel like I wasted all of this money by the Z3K making them all obsolete. When I think of the Z3K being perfect replacement hardware for the NES, then changed to perfect replacement hardware for the Super NES, then Genesis, then Atari 2600, then ColecoVision, etc. with all of these modular parts that aren't confusing to understand how to hook them up then it seems too good to be true and/or very expensive to get it down that perfectly. Therefore, it may end up just being a kind of Jack of all trades console that plays them all well enough but not as ideally as the separate Nt consoles.

However, the level of interest is dependent on if they have analog outputs to be able to hook them up to my TV's to be able to play in the first place. icon_wink.gif

• Like 1

Thanks, that's what I was thinking all along until Kosmic mistakenly said it wasn't bluetooth and thus was going to be incompatible with other 8BitDo receivers like the NES Retro Receiver.

I was reasonably sure of what my answer was before posting, but didn't want to potentially be out of some money for receivers for other systems after seeing their new SNES Classic specific controller the other day online that breaks from tradition (And compatibility) by not following the usual 8BitDo standards

I think Kosmic was referring to the SNES and NES classic set that you linked (http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-sf30-2_4g-for-snes-and-sfc-classic-edition) which clearly states that both the receiver and the controller are 2.4G. However, there also exists a receiver for the SNES and NES classic that is bluetooth and will work with their bluetooth controllers (http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes-sfc-classic), along with others like PS3, Switch etc, which you linked as well. I have one of these and I know that it works with the standard bluetooth controllers. Now the confusing part is the link (https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt) that Cfillak provides which seems to suggest that the bundle they're offering with the Super NT is both their new 2.4G controller, but their standard bluetooth SNES retro receiver. Now I looked further and apparently the SNES retro reciever (http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes) supports both the 2.4G controllers and bluetooth. Which makes me wonder if the receivers that come in the SNES and NES classic bundle also support bluetooth as well. They don't state that it does, but their SNES receiver does both.....

So I don't recall what you were looking to purchase, but you should have all the info you need now, confusing as it all is :-D.

Edited by jamon1567

Wasn't the PIC micro write protected? Even if Kevtris or someone with mad skills reverse assembled the Pic, it wouldn't be a 1:1 copy of the original ROM. The Speechchip guys have a vested interest to protect their investment, as selling a $4 part for $20+ is quite lucrative. I think Albert cut a deal buying in bulk though.

Even so. If the the chip is "read" protected or uses other obfuscation methods to keep it all a secret there are simple ways around it. Decapping is a tried and true method. Done many-a-times on more complex parts.

It seems to be an unspoken rule to not mess with currently-in-production hobby material. So far self-policing seems to work ok.

I think Kosmic was referring to the SNES and NES classic set that you linked (http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-sf30-2_4g-for-snes-and-sfc-classic-edition) which clearly states that both the receiver and the controller are 2.4G. However, there also exists a receiver for the SNES and NES classic that is bluetooth and will work with their bluetooth controllers (http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes-sfc-classic), along with others like PS3, Switch etc, which you linked as well. I have one of these and I know that it works with the standard bluetooth controllers. Now the confusing part is the link (https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt) that Cfillak provides which seems to suggest that the bundle they're offering with the Super NT is both their new 2.4G controller, but their standard bluetooth SNES retro receiver. Now I looked further and apparently the SNES retro reciever (http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes) supports both the 2.4G controllers and bluetooth. Which makes me wonder if the receivers that come in the SNES and NES classic bundle also support bluetooth as well. They don't state that it does, but their SNES receiver does both.....

So I don't recall what you were looking to purchase, but you should have all the info you need now, confusing as it all is :-D.

What the hell! Man 8bitdo really needs to clean up their product messaging.

• Like 1

What the hell! Man 8bitdo really needs to clean up their product messaging.

I was just doing a little more digging on their site and of all the receivers, the only one that doesn't have both bluetooth and 2.4G listed is the one for use with the classics. However, if you go to their support page, there is only one firmware for each. My guess would be that they all support bluetooth and 2.4G as long as you have the latest firmware, but it'd prob be best to double check with them if you think you'll have issues. They should definitely clean up their messaging here because if it confuses people here, I can't imagine what your average Joe is thinking :-D.

On a side note, it looks like they discontinued their previous NES and SNES bluetooth models and replaced them with the new ones. In fact, they don't even offer an NES type replica controller anymore. I have both the SNES and NES (which came with my NT Mini) and can say that I don't weep for the NES one which is complete trash, but I've had much better results with the SNES controller. The new ones are fine, but I liked that the old ones were pretty much exact replicas style wise. Oh well, I guess if you were on the fence about getting one though, now would be the time while places still have stock.

Edited by jamon1567

For the Mega NT, the Brazilian Sega manufacturer (Tec Toy) still produces Genesis units http://www.tectoy.com.br/console-mega-drive-joystick-cartao-sd-com-22-jogos-expansivel-ate-594-jogos/p/995040461825 . Majesco was the one who produced the Genesis 3 in 1998, not SEGA in North America. I would not put it past SEGA officially licencing a FPGA clone, just doing so might require killing support for flash carts/jailbreaking, so be careful what you wish for.

It's a poor quality clone console with no heritage to the original hardware... and it only works in Brazil since they have their own unique TV standard (PAL-M which is NTSC luma and PAL chroma). Yes, it's officially licensed, but so is all that AtGames garbage.

• Like 1

I think Kosmic was referring to the SNES and NES classic set that you linked (http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-sf30-2_4g-for-snes-and-sfc-classic-edition) which clearly states that both the receiver and the controller are 2.4G.

I never linked to that though. In fact I actually even stressed in the post before his for everyone to strike that from the discussion since it's not involved with my question and was just getting folks confused. :)

It was other people getting mixed up and bringing that into the conversation. I think I threw a couple of people for a loop when I inquired if the controller that's offered alongside the Super Analogue NT was also compatible with the NES Classic/SNES Classic Retro Receiver for 8BitDo products (Even though I linked to this in the hope to clarify matters when people first started to assume that I was must've been referring to this).

I imagine they equated my compatibility question about the 8BitDo NES/SNES Classic Retro Receiver to be in reference to this new dedicated NES/SNES Classic controller for some reason, perhaps unaware like I was until a few days ago that 8BitDo also offers a second NES Classic/SNES Classic accessory in the form of a Retro Receiver that supports their existing product line.

I was always referring to the NES/SNES Classic Retro Receiver and its compatibility with the matching Super Analogue NT 8BitDo controller (I was hoping to be able to use the controller I ordered with my Analogue Super NT preorder, on some other systems that 8BitDo offers receivers for).

Edited by Atariboy

Well just to be clear, the 2.4G controller they are now offering (that you ordered) will work with their NES and SNES receivers, as well as the classic receiver that it comes bundled with. I would suspect that the receiver bundled with that controller will also work with their and others bluetooth offerings as well (just like their other two receivers), but they don't state that on their website. That's the open question.

Edited by jamon1567

That is incorrect. It is not their new 2.4G controller with proprietary wireless technology that's being offered here.

It has been clarified in this thread that the controller being sold in conjunction with the Analogue Super NT (Which is the controller that I bought) is utilizing the normal 8BitDo Bluetooth standard. The note at the bottom of this page that states it's compatible with other 8BitDo controllers by extension confirms that this controller with matching styling to the Super NT is utilizing their normal Bluetooth standard.

Thus, it is not their brand new 2.4G controller being paired with a new design of wireless SNES receiver that is being offered here with the Super NT. Their 2.4G controller is solely being offered for NES/SNES Classic Edition owners (And one would assume that you can also plug their 2.4G receiver into a Wiimote's extension port and use this controller on a Wii/Wii U as a Classic Controller, but the 8BitDo page for the 2.4G controller doesn't say one way or another).

Edited by Atariboy

Analogue strongly hinting that they will be producing their own DAC for the Super NT:

https://twitter.com/analogue_co/status/940859550860824577

If you read the full discussion, they did not hint at such a thing. They merely made the erroneous claim that the only reason Super Scope doesn't work is the display technology, so one could simply use an off-the-shelf converter to feed analog signal to a tube tv. That won't work anyway due to the delay involved with the digital to analog conversion. Zappers absolutely don't work on tube TVs connected to say AVS or NT Mini using an HDMI down-converter, or will malfunction and/or fire a miss because the zapper is scanning for the light signal before it ever displays on screen. Super Scope is even more timing critical because it relies on tracking the exact horizontal position as well as vertical onscreen. If a super scope did register onscreen with such a setup, it would likely be in an incorrect or random location.

• Like 2

That is incorrect. It is not their new 2.4G controller with proprietary wireless technology that's being offered here.

It has been clarified in this thread that the controller being sold in conjunction with the Analogue Super NT (Which is the controller that I bought) is utilizing the normal 8BitDo Bluetooth standard. The note at the bottom of this page that states it's compatible with other 8BitDo controllers by extension confirms that this controller with matching styling to the Super NT is utilizing their normal Bluetooth standard.

Thus, it is not their brand new 2.4G controller being paired with a new design of wireless SNES receiver that is being offered here with the Super NT. Their 2.4G controller is solely being offered for NES/SNES Classic Edition owners (And one would assume that you can also plug their 2.4G receiver into a Wiimote's extension port and use this controller on a Wii/Wii U as a Classic Controller, but the 8BitDo page for the 2.4G controller doesn't say one way or another).

You're wrong, look again at what I posted from 8Bitdo's site. They discontinued their standard SNES bluetooth controller and ONLY offer the 2.4G one, which is the same one that Analogue is selling with the Super NT. The page you are referring to only notes that the receiver also supports those other controllers (makes no mention of bluetooth or 2.4G), which of course is true because if you looked at 8Bitdo's website you would see the receiver supports BOTH 2.4G and bluetooth. Your controller is the new model 2.4G. They do not have two separate models. Go look at their website.

That said, it will still work with their NES and SNES receivers. The only question is whether there are two separate receivers for the classics. Probably not, but they don't do a good job explaining it.

Edited by jamon1567

If you read the full discussion, they did not hint at such a thing.

Umm....

• of course. Super Scope and everything works- its the HDTV that won't support the gun. Can use a DAC.

1 reply0 retweets4 likes
    Retweet
  • Will there be a specific DAC recommended like how there are specific analog cable recommended for the NT Mini?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes
    Retweet

You're wrong, look again at what I posted from 8Bitdo's site. They discontinued their standard SNES bluetooth controller and ONLY offer the 2.4G one, which is the same one that Analogue is selling with the Super NT. The page you are referring to only notes that the receiver also supports those other controllers (makes no mention of bluetooth or 2.4G), which of course is true because if you looked at 8Bitdo's website you would see the receiver supports BOTH 2.4G and bluetooth. Your controller is the new model 2.4G. They do not have two separate models. Go look at their website.

That said, it will still work with their NES and SNES receivers. The only question is whether there are two separate receivers for the classics. Probably not, but they don't do a good job explaining it.

All I see is 2.402GHz~2.48GHz for their various receivers, which is the standard range for Bluetooth. Is that where you're coming up with this support for the SN30 2.4G controller? Their new SNES style 2.4G controller is reported to use a new proprietary low latency wireless signal rather than their normal Bluetooth, so I'm not so sure we can make that conclusion here.

I also don't see "SN30 2.4G" anywhere on the Analogue site or on Amazon, where the controller I ordered is explicitly marked as a "wireless Bluetooth SN30" controller. Also, if this dual support you think is present was there, why isn't it advertised on Analogue's product page for the SN30 2.4G?

System compatibility only states that it works wirelessly with the included receiver for the SNES and SFC Classic Editions (No NES Classic?) and via USB with some other platforms like the PC. If their receivers like their SNES Retro Receiver also supported this wireless signal from their new SN30 2.4G, why isn't that information present on the product page?

Pretty big omission, if true. I don't know enough to be confident in my conclusion here, which is why I asked what I did in the first place. But I'm also not seeing on their site what you are.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

All I see is 2.402GHz~2.48GHz for their various receivers, which is the standard range for Bluetooth. Their new SNES style 2.4G controller is reported to use a new low latency wireless signal rather than their normal Bluetooth.

Well they refer to both their controller and receiver as 2.4G here: http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-sf30-2_4g-for-snes-and-sfc-classic-edition/. They also make sure to separately note (on the separate pages for their receivers) that their receivers support both the range you mention and bluetooth. So I don't know why they need to make it so confusing, and as long as you're using the controller with their receivers you'll be fine, but if you planned on using it with other bluetooth devices you may have an issue. I don't know how their new controllers work though outside of what they have posted on their site.

Umm....

• of course. Super Scope and everything works- its the HDTV that won't support the gun. Can use a DAC.

1 reply0 retweets4 likes
    Retweet
  • Will there be a specific DAC recommended like how there are specific analog cable recommended for the NT Mini?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes
    Retweet

Lol yeah i was confused for a second. I may be wrong, but if Analogue designed the DAC themselves and built compatibility with it into the firmware of the Super NT, shouldn't they be able to get reasonably close to no lag? I mean aren't most of the NT Mini cores' analog signals converted from digital RGB anyway (with the exception of NES composite I think)? My guess is they would include some type of "analog mode" option in the firmware that just outputs the raw digital 240p video and audio in the same way it would be sent internally to an internal DAC, but out of the HDMI port. It shouldn't matter if the signal is out of the HDMI spec if their DAC is just a short HDMI-type cable on one end and some kind of box containing whatever circuitry is necessary with a VGA style analog out port on the other end. A nice bonus feature would be an HDMI passthrough option so you can have the system plugged into both an analog display and an HDTV at the same time and just toggle between them with a menu shortcut like on the NT Mini.

I could be overlooking something huge, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by cfillak

I also don't see "SN30 2.4G" anywhere on the Analogue site or on Amazon, where the controller I ordered is explicitly marked as a "wireless Bluetooth SN30" controller. Also, if this dual support you think is present was there, why isn't it advertised on Analogue's product page for the SN30 2.4G?

Look at the 8Bitdo site, it is their product afterall. I can't speak for Amazon or Analogue, but they're 8Bitdo's controllers and the information is all on their website.

Edit:

I'm looking at Amazon right now and the new controllers there state 2.4G, they even say it right on the controller itself.....https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless-Controller-Classic-super-nintendo/dp/B074HBNNH6/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513225026&sr=1-6&keywords=8bitdo&th=1

Are you positive that's what you ordered? Amazon does still have some of 8Bitdo's old SNES controllers which were bluetooth....https://www.amazon.com/8bitdo-SFC30-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00Y0LUQFE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513225026&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=8bitdo&psc=1&smid=ANL1K2QU6LSBJ

Edited by jamon1567

There's no debate that their new SNES Classic controller is 2.4G, since it's clearly marked as such right on down to the name of the product itself. And I never said I ordered one of these.

What I ordered was one of these Super NT matching controllers via Analogue's store links to Amazon. Specifically, this version since I went with the North American SNES style color scheme.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WRZ6JB

What here makes you think this is 8BitDo's new SN30 2.4G? It doesn't say it anywhere there, or at Analogue's site. In fact like I already told you, it's marked as Bluetooth.

Edited by Atariboy

There's no debate that their new SNES Classic controller is 2.4G, since it's clearly marked as such right on down to the name of the product itself. And I never said I ordered one of these. What I ordered via Analogue's store links was this, matching the North American SNES inspired styling of the version of the Super NT that I bought.

What here makes you think this is 8BitDo's new SN30 2.4G?

Yea so I was actually looking back through this thread and I did see what you just linked here which confuses me now too. All I can tell you is that on 8Bitdo's site they only list their new 2.4G SNES controllers, and if you go to their support page, you will see the that they discontinued the prior ones. I took this to mean that they discontinued these controllers in particular: https://www.amazon.com/8bitdo-SFC30-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B00Y0LUQFE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1513225807&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=8bitdo&psc=1&smid=ANL1K2QU6LSBJ. Since they A) no longer list them on their website, and B) went by the SN30 and SF30 model number, that is what I took that to mean. The version that you linked looks identical to the new ones, but they do clearly say on the picture of the controller even that they're bluetooth. However, again, on 8Bitdo's website, the controllers they now offer are all marked 2.4G and even say it on the controller. If they made two versions of them, they aren't anymore is all I can say. I'll be interested to see what you actually get though.

Edited by jamon1567

Yes, but we also see what support is listed for the SN30 2.4G on the product page. It's a SNES Classic Edition controller with some wired USB options, with no mention of SNES Retro Receiver support.

So it's unlikely to be one of these, especially since there's no evidence that a SNES Retro Receiver is anything but Bluetooth (Only Bluetooth and the Bluetooth spectrum are listed on the product page for the SNES Retro Receiver) and nobody knows anything about Analogue offering a new SN30 2.4G compatible SNES Retro Receiver for Super NT customers to enable the SN30 2.4G to actually be used here.

All evidence at Analogue's site and on Amazon points to what I bought being a Bluetooth controller, so I should be safe in ordering the receivers that I wanted to enable this to be used with some of my other systems.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes, but we also see what support is listed for the SN30 2.4G on the product page. It's a SNES Classic Edition controller with some wired USB options, with no mention of SNES Retro Receiver support.

So it's unlikely to be one of these, since there's no evidence that a SNES Retro Receiver is anything but Bluetooth (Only Bluetooth and the Bluetooth spectrum are listed on the product page for the SNES Retro Receiver) and nobody knows anything about Analogue offering a new SN30 2.4G compatible SNES Retro Receiver for Super NT customers to enable the SN30 2.4 to actually be used here.

All evidence at Analogue's site and on Amazon points to what I bought being a Bluetooth controller, so I should be safe in ordering the receivers that I wanted to enable this to be used with some of my other systems.

You can use USB with their older controllers as well so that isn't anything special. I don't know why they are marketing all of these the way they are. It's very confusing. For example, they have the classic bundle on their website that lists the controller and receiver as 2.4G, yet they also have a page for just the classic receiver (which I own and use with their older bluetooth SNES controller) that is ONLY listed as bluetooth. I really think that all of the receivers will support both, but they don't have it listed clearly on their website. Like I said though, I'll be real interested to see what controllers you get, so let us know.

Edited by jamon1567

That's because the NES/SNES Classic Retro Receiver is Bluetooth and is a completely different product from the SN30 2.4G receiver.

It's not meant for enabling use of a SN30 2.4G controller with your Nintendo plug and play microconsole, since you can only buy a SN30 2.4G controller with its proprietary receiver dongle. So by default if you buy a SN30 2.4G controller, you'll have the necessary receiver to pair it with your NES/SNES Classic Edition. Thus there's no need to sell the receivers separately.

But there is demand from owners of other 8BitDo controllers to use their existing Bluetooth controllers with their Nintendo microconsoles, which this standalone NES/SNES Classic Retro Receiver fulfills.

Edited by Atariboy

That's because the NES/SNES Classic Retro Receiver is Bluetooth and is a completely different product from the SN30 2.4G receiver.

It's not meant for enabling use of a SN30 2.4G controller with your Nintendo plug and play microconsole, since you can only buy a SN30 2.4G controller with its proprietary receiver dongle. So by default if you buy a SN30 2.4G controller, you'll be default have the necessary receiver to pair it with your NES/SNES Classic Edition. Thus there's no need to sell the receivers separately.

But there is demand from owners of other 8BitDo controllers to use their existing Bluetooth controllers with their Nintendo microconsoles, which this standalone NES/SNES Classic Retro Receiver fulfills.

I can see how that would be the case, yet on the side (and not even listed on their website....can only find it on Amazon and through Analogue) they also have a bluetooth controller that looks EXACTLY like their 2.4G controller they're offering. They're either being intentionally confusing, or they don't have their own information right.

There's no debate that their new SNES Classic controller is 2.4G, since it's clearly marked as such right on down to the name of the product itself. And I never said I ordered one of these.

What I ordered was one of these Super NT matching controllers via Analogue's store links to Amazon. Specifically, this version since I went with the North American SNES style color scheme.

What here makes you think this is 8BitDo's new SN30 2.4G? It doesn't say it anywhere there, or at Analogue's site. In fact like I already told you, it's marked as Bluetooth.

You are referring to early revision specs for a yet unreleased product. It is very likely that the preliminary specs posted on the analogue website may have changed. These are controller/receiver pairs sold together. I find it higly evident with the unfortunate discontinuation of the old 8bitdo BT controllers, the new lineup of snes inspired controllers moving forward will use the new, proprietary "2.4Ghz" low latency tech current present in the recently released snes classic controllers. I will happily eat crow if the new receivers/controllers for the super nt are compatible with older 8bitdo receivers/controllers.

FYI, all snes classic controllers should be b/c with nes classic, given the classic controller standard originated by nintendo for wii have all functions of the nes. Unlike using a real snes controller on real nes hardware, usage of a snes classic controller on nes classic utilizes a/b onstead of b/y, as it did on wii vc.