1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Goodness @replacing tv's in just a couple years lol. I usually keep mine until one dies lol, unless something significant comes around. That's never happened to warrant a new purchase. I got a 3d tv when my main tv went dead to the lightning strike. :( That was July, 2011. My bedroom tv was given to my son for him moving into his first home away from home, so I bought a 4k tv last year. As long as these two tv's work, I can't buy another lol.

• Like 1

Goodness @replacing tv's in just a couple years lol. I usually keep mine until one dies lol, unless something significant comes around. That's never happened to warrant a new purchase. I got a 3d tv when my main tv went dead to the lightning strike. :( That was July, 2011. My bedroom tv was given to my son for him moving into his first home away from home, so I bought a 4k tv last year. As long as these two tv's work, I can't buy another lol.

My parents have gone through 4 TV's in the time I've gone through one.

They had a CRT, then they had a Philips HDTV, then they had a LG smartTV, now they have a Samsung 55" 4K. This was over about 18 years. The 4K is new this year.

The only one that "burned" in anything was the LG, with a spot in the middle that appeared to be discoloring. However their PC screen is horribly full of burning blobs.

Likewise my Samsung 1920x1200 screen has burn-in blobs around the top edge and bottom edge, where the bright parts are in the background wallpaper and windows taskbar respectively.

So my 4K computer screen replaced that one. I've also replaced a Proview monitor in the same time frame that I used as a second monitor, but it was originally my primary monitor when I initially moved here.

So I'd say in most cases, the average life of a screen not replaced for tech reasons is at least 5 years, with them lasting at most 10 before they absolutely will have enough burn in or backlight loss that will make them annoying to use if anything.

This is by comparison to a CRT which dims over time with use, even if powered off due to ambient light keeping the phosphors lit. CRT's were far easier to burn in, often due to static text (Eg DOS software, UI widgets in arcade games) being lit up for long periods of time.

The problem with Plasma screens has more to do with the underlying technology. Only Plasma screens made between 2006 and 2014 are really any good, with older models having burn in and phosphor loss like CRT's, and production has ceased on all plasma screens for the US market as of 2014.

My parents have gone through 4 TV's in the time I've gone through one.

They had a CRT, then they had a Philips HDTV, then they had a LG smartTV, now they have a Samsung 55" 4K. This was over about 18 years. The 4K is new this year.

The only one that "burned" in anything was the LG, with a spot in the middle that appeared to be discoloring. However their PC screen is horribly full of burning blobs.

Likewise my Samsung 1920x1200 screen has burn-in blobs around the top edge and bottom edge, where the bright parts are in the background wallpaper and windows taskbar respectively.

So my 4K computer screen replaced that one. I've also replaced a Proview monitor in the same time frame that I used as a second monitor, but it was originally my primary monitor when I initially moved here.

So I'd say in most cases, the average life of a screen not replaced for tech reasons is at least 5 years, with them lasting at most 10 before they absolutely will have enough burn in or backlight loss that will make them annoying to use if anything.

This is by comparison to a CRT which dims over time with use, even if powered off due to ambient light keeping the phosphors lit. CRT's were far easier to burn in, often due to static text (Eg DOS software, UI widgets in arcade games) being lit up for long periods of time.

The problem with Plasma screens has more to do with the underlying technology. Only Plasma screens made between 2006 and 2014 are really any good, with older models having burn in and phosphor loss like CRT's, and production has ceased on all plasma screens for the US market as of 2014.

Yeah, I'll hold 'em till they don't work lol.

My CRT avenue right now:

Brand new in box - Sony KV-27FV310. It was still sealed in the box. Box still properly sealed as if it just came off the line last week. Hopefully this will last a LONG time for me. It's beautiful.

Brand new in box - Ultrak KM1900CN. Also brand new in box, sealed as if it just came off the line. Also gorgeous crt.

Used in hospital - Sony PVM-20L2MD. Needed a diode replaced. Great picture, still looks "mostly" brand new.

They are all 12+ years old since date of manufacture, and I hope they last a really long time. lol

My 3d tv is a Vizio XVT3D554SV that I bought on huge Amazon sale in 2011. It's working really well still. Love it.

Most current tv is a Vizio P65-C1 4K. I bought it mid last year.

I hope these last a good bit as well.

Edited by F34R

I really wish Analogue would be more transparent with this whole DAC situation for the Super NT. I'd buy a "special edition" version of the console if I knew that there would be one, even if it were hundreds of dollars more.

That being said, I'll be upset if they announce a DAC and I go buy the DAC and the Super NT then come to find that this "special edition" console gets announced months after.

At this point I haven't preordered / purchased anything because they've left us in the dark here and I don't know the best strategy for getting one for my CRT.

Edited by CRTGamingKaraoke
  • Like 2

I really wish Analogue would be more transparent with this whole DAC situation for the Super NT. I'd buy a "special edition" version of the console if I knew that there would be one, even if it were hundreds of dollars more.

That being said, I'll be upset if they announce a DAC and I go buy the DAC and the Super NT then come to find that this "special edition" console gets announced months after.

At this point I haven't preordered / purchased anything because they've left us in the dark here and I don't know the best strategy for getting one for my CRT.

Unless you're really really strapped for cash, you could probably always get nearly all of your money back by selling the HDMI-only Super NT if a "special edition" comes out down the line. I personally don't think it makes much business sense for them to produce both an external DAC AND a special edition of the Super NT with a built-in DAC. They would have to design a whole new shell, or at least a modification of the shell, a new board, and all of the manufacturing and logistics issues that come with that. The only mention of a "special edition" was an off-hand comment to the press very soon after the Super NT announcement. They've hinted multiple times on twitter that they have some kind of DAC solution in the works for all Super NT users. It makes much more sense to separate the CRT functionality into a separate add-on device for self selecting enthusiasts to purchase to save costs for the vast majority of customers who no longer have CRTs and just want a high quality SNES experience on their HDTV. This DAC could also be repurposed for any future consoles they decide to produce, such as a Genesis "Mega NT". I would definitely prefer built-in DACs for simplicity's sake, but it definitely makes business sense for them to do it this way.

Ummm Oled and Plasma are two different technologies. Saying it took 8 years to get burn in on your plasma when someone talks to you about burn in on an oled is like if a doctor tells you that you have liver failure and retorting that your family has no history of heart problems.

And if you "know how to get deals" then you could just apply that skillset to anything you purchase across the board so it is equally advantageous to you if you are buying a tv with a life expectancy longer than 2-3 years.

Also if you are complaining about blacks on non-oleds what about the white levels on oleds being subpar? Based on where technology is today the best tradeoff you can make is getting a decent tv that has low input lag, local dimming for better black experiences, and will last for awhile if you need it to without breaking your bank. Oled is just too flawed to adopt right now (unless you can replace it every 2 years and are willing to run special screen savers on it to keep it alive and don't mind the inferior whites)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH4qkU7rsAI

People that want gaming TV's right now are in a special kind of pickle. That OLED video you linked shows a bunch of worse case scenarios, which definitely suck, but hasn't been my experience so far with light usage.

I tried both the Switch and the AVS on an LG OLED (model number escapes me... I can grab it if need be) and I found the colors to be fantastic. The input lag clearly wasn't as great as my CRT, but wasn't horrible either for casual playing. As far as visual quality goes, it appears to be the closest we can get to a CRT like experience. I don't know what the pixel response time is but motion definitely appears much better on these sets. Maybe because the pixels don't "dim" as they move... I'm not so sure but I do know I found Pac-Man/Galaga much more pleasing to the eye on the LG versus my ASUS PG279Q (IPS).

I haven't seen examples of local dimming LED just yet in person, but I already have seen people complain of bloom with that effect on such displays.

The BFGD looks very promising but you can bet it is going to be absurdly expensive. I also wonder how good the quality control on those things is going to be. I have an ASUS PG279Q and the RMA on that thing was a nightmare. I managed to get two units with dead pixels and had to settle for a unit with a dead pixel in the corner.

HTC Vive (and probably Occulus but I haven't tested one personally) actually makes a compelling gaming head-set outside of VR via Virtual Desktop. It does, unfortunately, introduce about a frame of lag (although this theoretically could be improved). You get near CRT-like motion quality with the benefit of amazing colors. There is a pronounced screen-door, unfortunately. Also, I have yet to figure a good way of linking say the AVS to my computer to get it to output onto the HTC. I know there are gaming capture cards, but it would have to be near lag-less to really give you a good experience.

Not to knock anyone's opinions on here as we are all going to have wildly varying tastes. I find OLED's quite pleasing but I was very disappointed we didn't get any kind of gaming OLED release at CES this year. I think it just highlights how bad our choices really are right now.

https://www.blurbusters.com/is an excellent read on these types of issues.

All you early adapters are crazy imo. Wait a couple years and then get a 4k. There is so little content that actually takes advantage of it, and the content that does is 4x the space (average 4k movie rip is like 80 gb), I see no reason to jump on it atm. 1080p still looks great. It's not like we're talking the jump from 480p to 720p/1080p which was night and day different.

It's comparable to people rushing out to grab the Iphone 9 when Iphone SE is just as good. In a few years top of the line qled/oled 4k will be the price of current 2ks. Just buy it then. you didn't NEED the 4k a couple years ago, why do you need it now?

Edited by Tusecsy
  • Like 2

The first one I have, failed around 12 years ago, it was stored in the garage for about 2 years after it was moved 800km, in it's original box. The one my sister bought and later died, was left in her room while she went to college, and died somewhere between then and last year. The SFC I acquired off eBay died literately moments after it had been powered off here. It was shipped from Japan. The one I acquired from the used video game store, was dead when I got it. I figured between all of these I might be able to make one working one, but they all had the same CPU failure. The only working one is the GPM-02 one, from the 1993 production line, all of the dead ones are SHVC-CPU-01.

So that is my worry is that if you have a working SNES, currently, it may still end up dead the next time it's packed up and moved. The common thing between all of these is that they were shipped or stored for a long period of time without being powered on. It's very likely as Keatah said, that some kind of thermal/humidity stress results in the CPU chip no longer being sealed and it just goes downhill from there. Since the CPU is not a off-the-shelf part, it can't be replaced with a good one. Any good CPU's are likely on newer boards.

The funny thing is, the NES is probably built better, despite having mechanical flaws, and edge connector oxidization that lead to malfunctioning. Time will tell if the N64 has a worse death rate, but there are reports of them starting to die too.

Any word on the 1-Chip SNES models starting to fail?

All you early adapters are crazy imo. Wait a couple years and then get a 4k. There is so little content that actually takes advantage of it, and the content that does is 4x the space (average 4k movie rip is like 80 gb), I see no reason to jump on it atm. 1080p still looks great. It's not like we're talking the jump from 480p to 720p/1080p which was night and day different.

It's comparable to people rushing out to grab the Iphone 9 when Iphone SE is just as good. In a few years top of the line qled/oled 4k will be the price of current 2ks. Just buy it then. you didn't NEED the 4k a couple years ago, why do you need it now?

I have plenty of content for my one year old 4k tv. Almost 100 movies, and a handful of games, seems pretty worth it for me so far. Everything I have bought for it takes advantage of the 4K/HDR. Watching the movies I have on blu-ray in 1080p then watching that same movie in 4k/hdr, yeah, there's a definite difference. The same with games. Playing Gears 4 on my 1080p set vs playing in 4k with hdr. Like I said, there's content out there, and more coming all the time.

I have plenty of content for my one year old 4k tv. Almost 100 movies, and a handful of games, seems pretty worth it for me so far. Everything I have bought for it takes advantage of the 4K/HDR. Watching the movies I have on blu-ray in 1080p then watching that same movie in 4k/hdr, yeah, there's a definite difference. The same with games. Playing Gears 4 on my 1080p set vs playing in 4k with hdr. Like I said, there's content out there, and more coming all the time.

Oh not arguing that at all. There is definitely content, and there is a noticable difference. Just that it's not drastic enough to justify an early adoption. In 2 years you'll be able to get twice the hardware for half the price that's all I'm saying. The smart move is to wait until then.

Any word on the 1-Chip SNES models starting to fail?

To date, I have only heard of 1-chip's having lower compatibility, not failure rates. But they're also 4 years newer and produced closer to the end of the production life of the SNES, so it's possible that the 1-chip might last longer in a situation where you can just replace the caps and voltage regulator.

I have no content for my 4K IPS monitor, and the local telco which offers 4K TV only offers a few sports channels as 4K, and then uses Netflix app as a 4K upsell point.

In all seriousness 4K is better, marginally. In games you see particle effects and higher detailed backgrounds, but most games, the foreground looks no different, and in the case of MMORPG games, typically the UI widgets are designed only for 720p play, and without an option to scale them, they become illegible. Most single player games are designed for the PS4 (non-pro) and to compromise on the Xbox One. So even if you have the 4K models of these consoles, you are mostly getting a "upscaled" experience, not an native one on games that aren't designed to use the 4K real estate.

Like as an "early adopter" on 4K tech, I'd rather have waited a little longer, but it was difficult enough just to find a 24" 4K monitor to fit the space of the previous 24" 1920x1200 monitor, so I bought one that met the minimum requirements I needed for work, and decided that if a better 4K comes out, I'd just move this one over to the second monitor at that time.

I would probably not recommend getting 4K in anything less than a 32" monitor/tv and to skip it entirely in a laptop. Although one of the nice draws of having it is having the desktops scale nicely (so much so that when you switch back to a native 1080p screen it feels eerie) but if you actually try to use a word processor or web browser without the scaling turned on, it's so tiny that often menu widgets become messed up. Adobe's CS4 software which I still use, is basically unusable at 4K, because the mouse cursors are invisible/wrap strangely, making it impossible to click on things. The thing I find annoying in some software (which includes some games) that use native and non-native (eg QT) widgets is that they are often cropped. So you'll see a right-click menu, where the text is made larger, but the width is fixed at the original size, so you only see half of the menu item's width, and then it wraps over top the next menu item rendering it impossible to read.

A lot of problems with 4K are the same problems 1080p has back in Windows XP, when people were still using 640x480 as game native resolutions.

• Like 1

Here's a list for Xbox One X.

Available now:

• Agents of Mayhem
  • Ark: Survival Evolved – Dynamic 1440p, High PC settings, HDR
  • Ashes Cricket - 4K, HDR
  • Assassin's Creed (360) – Native 4K
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins - Dynamic 2016p/30FPS, Dolby Atmos, HDR, increased draw distances, faster transitions
  • Assault Android Cactus - 4K/60FPS
  • Astroneer - Native 4K available today, HDR at a later date
  • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare – Dynamic 4K
  • Call of Duty: WWII - 4K Temporal Reconstruction, HDR
  • Conan Exiles
  • Crossout - 4K
  • Danger Zone - Native 4K
  • Dead Rising 4 – HDR
  • Destiny 2 - 4K, Increased buffer resolutions, HDR
  • Diablo III – Dynamic 4K
  • Dishonored 2 - 4K
  • Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - 4K
  • Disneyland Adventures - 4K, HDR
  • Elder Scrolls Online - 4K/30FPS, HDR
  • Elite Dangerous - 4K, Performance and Quality options
  • F1 2017 - Native 4K, 60FPS, HDR Support, "other graphical improvements"
  • Fallout 3 – Native 4K
  • Fallout 4 - Dynamic 4K, Enhanced Draw Distances, Enhanced God Ray Effects
  • Farming Simulator 17 - 4K
  • FIFA 18 - 4K, HDR
  • Final Fantasy 15 - 4K, HDR
  • Fortnite – 1728p/30
  • Forza Motorsport 7- Native 4K/60FPS, HDR
  • Gears of War 3 – Native 4K
  • Gears of War 4 - 4K/30FPS for Campaign/Horde and 4K/60FPS for Versus, HDR Support - 1080p owners get higher resolution textures, the fully dynamic shadows, improved reflections. Two modes - Video
  • GRIDD: Retroenhanced - 4K, HDR
  • Halo 3 (360) – 3456x1920, HDR
  • Halo 5 – Dynamic 4K
  • Halo Wars 2 - Native 4K, HDR
  • Hand of Fate 2 - 4K
  • Hello Neighbor - 4K
  • Hitman - Native 4K option, higher framerates, HDR
  • Homefront:The Revolution - 3200x1800, improved FR, HDR
  • Injustice 2 – 2944x1656 HDR
  • Killer Instinct - "Native 4K/60FPS"
  • Killing Floor 2
  • L.A. Noire - 4K, HDR
  • Madden NFL 18 - 4K, HDR
  • Mafia III - 4K, HDR
  • Mantis Burn Racing - 4K, HDR
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Native 4K/30 FPS, HDR
  • Mirror's Edge (360) – Native 4K, HDR
  • Morphite - 4K
  • NBA 2K18 - 4K, HDR
  • NBA Live 18 - 4K
  • Need for Speed Payback
  • Outlast 2 - Native 4K/60FPS
  • OKAMI HD – Native 4K
  • Paladins: Champions of the Realm - Native 4K/60FPS
  • Path of Exile -
  • Playerunknown's Battlegrounds – Native 4K, HDR
  • Portal Knights - 4K
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 - 4K
  • Project Cars 21620p/60FPS, HDR
  • Quantum Break – 4K CBR
  • Raiders of the Broken Planet - Improved visuals, 4K, HDR
  • Real Farm
  • Recore DE - HDR
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - Native 4K, HDR
  • Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure - 4K, HDR
  • Skate 3 - 3456x1920
  • Skyrim Special Edition - Dynamic 4K
  • Slime Rancher - 4K, HDR
  • SMITE - Native 4K/60FPS
  • Sonic Forces – 3200x1800p
  • Star Wars Battlefront II – Dynamic 4K CBR, HDR
  • Super Lucky's Tale - 4K/60FPS *new release*
  • Super Night Riders
  • TACOMA - 4K
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360) – 3072x1800, HDR
  • The Evil Within 2 – 1800p, Increased FR, 30FPS lock removal
  • The Surge - 1800P@30 fps or 1080P@60 fps modes, HDR
  • Thumper - 4K
  • Titanfall 2 – Dynamic 4K/60FPS
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands – 1800p, Improved geometry, texture resolution, and draw distance. HDR
  • Transcripted
  • Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide - 4K
  • Wolfenstein II : The New Colossus – Dynamic 4K
  • World of Tanks - Native 4K, "extra bells and whistles", HDR
  • WRC 7 FIA World Rally Championship - 4K
  • WWE 2K18
  • Zoo Tycoon - 4K, HDR

Upcoming Enhanced Games:

• A Plague Tale: Innocence
  • A Way Out
  • Anthem - 4K CBR/30FPS
  • Ashen
  • AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected
  • Battlerite
  • Below
  • Biomutant - 4K
  • Black Desert
  • Brawlout
  • Chess Ultra - 4K, HDR
  • Code Vein
  • Crackdown 3 - 4K/30FPS
  • Dark and Light
  • Darksiders I Warmastered Edition - 4K
  • Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition - 4K
  • Darksiders III
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • DOOM
  • Dovetail Games Euro Fishing
  • Dragon Ball Fighter Z
  • Dynasty Warriors 9
  • Elex - 4K
  • Everspace
  • Fable Fortune
  • Far Cry 5
  • Fe
  • Firewatch
  • For Honor
  • Forza Horizon 3 - 4K, HDR
  • Gravel
  • Greedfall
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Immortal: Unchained
  • Jurassic World Evolution
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm - 4K
  • METAL GEAR SURVIVE
  • Metro Exodus
  • Minecraft - 4K, HDR
  • Minion Masters
  • Monster Energy Supercross: The Official Videogame - releasing February 13, 2018
  • Monster Hunter: World - HDR - releasing January 26, 2018
  • MX vs ATV All Out - 4K
  • NBA 2K18
  • NHL 18 - 4K
  • Nine Parchments
  • Ooblets
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 4K
  • Railway Empire - 4K, HDR
  • Redout: Lightspeed Edition
  • Resident Evil 7 - HDR
  • RiME
  • Riverbond
  • Roblox
  • Robocraft Infinity
  • Rocket League
  • Rugby 18
  • Sea of Thieves - Native 4K, HDR, Dolby Atmos
  • State of Decay 2 - 4K, HDR
  • STEEP
  • Strange Brigade - 4K, HDR
  • SUPERHOT
  • Surviving Mars
  • Tennis World Tour
  • The Artful Escape
  • The Crew 2
  • The Darwin Project
  • The Last Night
  • The Long Dark
  • theHunter: Call of the Wild
  • Tom Clancy’s The Division
  • Train Sim World
  • TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge
  • UFC 3 - 4K
  • Unruly Heroes - 4K, HDR
  • War Thunder
  • Warframe
  • We Happy Few
  • Witcher 3

Xbox 360 Games enhanced for Xbox One X: 10 bit color depth, 9x the pixels

• Assassin's Creed
  • Fallout 3
  • Gears of War 3
  • Halo 3
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Skate 3
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Like 1

Oh not arguing that at all. There is definitely content, and there is a noticable difference. Just that it's not drastic enough to justify an early adoption. In 2 years you'll be able to get twice the hardware for half the price that's all I'm saying. The smart move is to wait until then.

I prefer to wait until a TV breaks. I consider a TV purchase as a long term investment like other appliances like buying a fridge. I rather get my money's worth, wait until it breaks, and then get something way more advanced than it for cheap. For an example, let's say my 1080p TV lasts another 10 years. Imagine how big of a leap of avancement I would be getting buying a TV for $300 on Black Friday in the year 2028. Then I could go to the $5 bin at Walmart and instead of DVD's it would be full of 4K movies that I could buy a huge stack of. So, I could probably end up with a TV better than the best one that exists today with a bunch of 4K content with the purchase of all of it being cheaper than buying the best TV that exists today.

• Like 1

I prefer to wait until a TV breaks. I consider a TV purchase as a long term investment like other appliances like buying a fridge. I rather get my money's worth, wait until it breaks, and then get something way more advanced than it for cheap. For an example, let's say my 1080p TV lasts another 10 years. Imagine how big of a leap of avancement I would be getting buying a TV for $300 on Black Friday in the year 2028. Then I could go to the $5 bin at Walmart and instead of DVD's it would be full of 4K movies that I could buy a huge stack of. So, I could probably end up with a TV better than the best one that exists today with a bunch of 4K content with the purchase of all of it being cheaper than buying the best TV that exists today.

Well it depends what kind of display you have. If you have an oled and it goes bad in 2-3 years of moderate use then it isn't a very "long term" investment. On the other hand if you have a high quality non oled then it can be operational for 8+ years of heavy use.

The best road to take is to purchase an extended warranty so you have 3 years of support, then when that is about to expire complain about some issue that is hard to verify like color bleeding, lack of clarity, ghosting, ect so you get store credit for the full price of your purchase. Being several years later with the technology constantly evolving your money should get you a considerably better set, even more so if you have saved up during that time and can now put some additional funds into your purchase.

The same investment strategy can be applied to basically any technology just change the issue you are complaining about to reduced battery life or something else no store employee is going to bother checking before issuing store credit.

Well it depends what kind of display you have. If you have an oled and it goes bad in 2-3 years of moderate use then it isn't a very "long term" investment. On the other hand if you have a high quality non oled then it can be operational for 8+ years of heavy use.

My first was a Dynex that my brother got me for the Christmas of 2007. My mother got me the new PS3 which I insisted had to be one of the fully backwards compatible ones. So, my brother insisted on me getting an HDTV for it because he thought it needed more than my CRT. Then a couple to a few years ago I saw this Emerson TV for sale for around $300 on Black Friday. I mainly bought it because it had S-Video as well as all the other analog inputs. It was a voting with my wallet kind of thing. Anyway, it isn't an OLED and has already got 2-3 years of more than moderate use. So, if it lasts another 2-3 years or more I would consider it a good investment that was long term for its price then I would do the $300 on Black Friday thing again. However, if I were to ever buy a TV for something like $1500 or more then I would expect it lasting 10 years as being the minimum and would feel ripped off if it didn't last that long.

As a side note, my Emerson puts off some heat. Do you or others know if adding a PC fan to its vents could extend its life by keeping it cool?

I'm on my second TV for my life as an adult. I wait until they die. I bought my first TV in 1992 and it lasted until the power supply died in 2012. I watch little TV so I was OK without HDTV for so long. I bought a low to mid-range LED Black Friday special in 2012. I don't expect to buy another TV until it dies.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

you do realize you are on a web forum dedicated to this platform???

so? to each their own. I'm sorry if you took is as disrespectul.

What more do you want ? I simply shared a childhood memory, how could I help the fact that I was much to young to appreciate the system ? I was born in 83 when the system crashed hard.

a kid born on playstation launch year might also tell you he has no interest in SNES. Does that make it a shit system ? errr...I don't think so. same principle applies for 2600 for me.

so being on AtariAge means you can share a memory and say you're not interested in it ? do ppl here don't come with a brain to understand factual reason ? not like I said it was shit, you know :|

@Cfillak>"Unless you're really really strapped for cash, you could probably always get nearly all of your money back by selling the HDMI-only Super NT if a "special edition" comes out down the line. "

with the brutal shipping to France and the, even worse custom fees I'm going to have to fork when I get my Super NT at the door, I highly doubt i'll get nearly all my money back :P

Edited by Shin_K

I don't feel like the technology is changing enough to justify a new TV all that often. I mean, I do like how TVs in stores look when they're running actual 4K content and have their brightness up all the way but it still isn't even close to the change I saw the day I swapped out my CRT for an 1080p TV hooked up to actual HD content. I don't think anything will ever come close to that kind of change again. If something caught my eye as that big of a change I would probably upgrade earlier than planned but otherwise I just wait until they die (or my 2 year throws a remote at the screen and breaks it like my last TV). I am still using my first 40 inch HD TV from 2009. I had to replace the capacitors because Samsung cheaped out on those back then but it still works :)

Edited by Toth

I don't feel like the technology is changing enough to justify a new TV all that often. I mean, I do like how TVs in stores look when they're running actual 4K content and have their brightness up all the way but it still isn't even close to the change I saw the day I swapped out my CRT for an 1080p TV hooked up to actual HD content. I don't think anything will ever come close to that kind of change again. If something caught my eye as that big of a change I would probably upgrade earlier than planned but otherwise I just wait until they die (or my 2 year throws a remote at the screen and breaks it like my last TV). I am still using my first 40 inch HD TV from 2009. I had to replace the capacitors because Samsung cheaped out on those back then but it still works :)

My path was from SD CRTs, to a Sony 3CRT rear projector (1080i) in 2001 to the first 'Kuro' in 2007, then the second Kuro in 2008 as it was a generational leap in black level, to this OLED now. I consider the OLED to be a pretty huge jump. You really have to see it properly set up proper lighting, proper settings, in a non-showroom environment to really appreciate what per-pixel high dynamic range has brought to the table.

Of course I still have a variety of CRTs because I often play classics on real CRTs.

The funny thing is all the personal insults I'm getting here is the opposite of what I get at home. Had 25 people over for a party and all they wanted to do is watch Planet Earth II. Everybody raved about the set and thinks it was a great purchase.

On the other hand, my friends think the $500 I dropped on the NT Mini is basically an extravagant, reckless purchase and that I'm acting like a damned playboy with no sense of the value of money over buying it. :)

Edited by Beer Monkey
  • Like 1

Hey man, I have an OLED65E6P and it's fucking amazing. As they say....

We're really in a transition phase before 8K stuff arrives. Like if a 24" 4K feels kinda silly, imagine an 8K one.

Where 4K and 8K are obviously better are home-theater setups which are more common in the United States single family homes. Apartments just do not have the real estate for large panels, and newer condos/townhouses often have wall mounts for 40" panels at most.

However audio still plays second to picture resolution, and many people joke about how stereo 44.1khz is enough for everyone, and we've even started moving backwards to soundbars which throw 8 channels into a space that doesn't cast surround sound, and wireless speakers that are beyond terrible.

Edited by Kismet
  • Like 1

Here's a list for Xbox One X.

Available now:

• Agents of Mayhem
  • Ark: Survival Evolved – Dynamic 1440p, High PC settings, HDR
  • Ashes Cricket - 4K, HDR
  • Assassin's Creed (360) – Native 4K
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins - Dynamic 2016p/30FPS, Dolby Atmos, HDR, increased draw distances, faster transitions
  • Assault Android Cactus - 4K/60FPS
  • Astroneer - Native 4K available today, HDR at a later date

Maybe we should move all the 4K stuff to its own thread. I don't think FPGAs are going to be able to run xbox x games any time soon.

• Like 4