1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

[Kismet said referring to SNES games with surround support] Because when you have a HDMI output the TV sends the audio to either it's internal audio DSP/DAC's or it may be configured in software to output through HDMI or S/PDIF. Since the SNES is 32Khz, that gives us a similar problem with the 4.5 scale at 1080p, where the target audio device might support 32khz, or might only accept 44.1khz, 48khz or 96khz. I would love to see the option of changing the output rate just like resolution, but that might screw up things that assume 32khz like white noise generation, and the few games that actually have matrix Dolby Prologic surround getting thrown out of phase.

[Kosmic's reply] 32kHz should scale quite nicely to 48kHz with minimal loss of quality using a simple 2:3 bilinear algorthm. Latency of such a custom algorithm could be as small as 3 48khz samples or 1/16000 sec. A menu option to "force" native 32kHz for receivers that support it, or resample to 48kHz by default.

Has anyone actually tested on the Super Nt SNES games with surround sound support using the proper equipment?

Here you can learn more about retro games with surround sound:

Throwback Thursday: Top 5 Uses of Surround Sound on SNES

List of games Pre 6th Generation with Surround Sound

Edited by retro_fan

I'm simply advising people to at least get their setup in order first to truly be able to take advantage of such high quality devices like the Super NT. I mean seriously, whats the point buying a Super NT if you are just going to run it through a Display that was craptastic 10 yrs ago, let alone 2018? Kevtris's work deserves to be fully appreciated in all its glory.

That's just like, your opinion, man

I currently use this monitor to play on NT mini / Super NT, as long as it works, I'll not buy a new one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/iiyama-E2483HS-B1-ProLite-LED-Monitor/dp/B00FABG2DI

Edited by iGom

Cool, I'd take that over a 2006 Sanyo any day of the week. At least its LED back-lit and 1080p.

Just an opinion from a non biased 3rd party.

You made your point about why you think he should upgrade. He made his points about why he isnt personally interested in doing so at this time? Why are you harping on the guy? It seems like youre just trying to be a jerk at this point. Let it go man. Everyone is just here to talk about fpga consoles and how they use them.

• Like 1

I don't follow. The burn in occurred after 840 hours in the example you provided.

https://youtu.be/tGMvO3ZdPX4?t=1m16s

Burn-in on OLEDs unlike Plasma or CRT TVs is not caused by retention or stuck pixels, but instead due to cumulative degradation of the material through usage. This means that over time, OLED TVs will lose brightness across the whole screen progressively. Burn-in is simply a high contrast region of the screen where there was more usage than the surrounding area creating a visible shape.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Basically, if you're really fond of news channels, video games, or cable/pvr units with persistant UI widgets, those widgets will eventually destroy the screen after 840 hours of being lit. People who play MMO games certainly play long enough to do that, and likewise people who are doing speed runs.

I'm not saying "don't buy an OLED, they suck", I'm saying that they are not the option I would go for for a video game screen. Even taking into account the input latency (which is worse than the IPS panels) they will have a much shorter usable lifespan. OLED screens usage case is basically the Netflix crowd that are cable cutters. Thus a lot of the problems with OLED aren't relevant because the UI is only visible for a few minutes before video is being played.

Just an opinion from a non biased 3rd party.

You made your point about why you think he should upgrade. He made his points about why he isnt personally interested in doing so at this time? Why are you harping on the guy? It seems like youre just trying to be a jerk at this point. Let it go man. Everyone is just here to talk about fpga consoles and how they use them.

I'm just responding to the link the guy sent me. Not all old stuff is bad, I agree with that, but some stuff is and there is nothing wrong with admitting that.

Has anyone actually tested on the Super Nt SNES games with surround sound support using the proper equipment?

When I get mine, I'll probably make an effort to compare the SNES and the Super NT, but I'll probably have to move the surround sound box to the PC to do it, as it's currently setup around the CRT.

• Like 1

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Basically, if you're really fond of news channels, video games, or cable/pvr units with persistant UI widgets, those widgets will eventually destroy the screen after 840 hours of being lit. People who play MMO games certainly play long enough to do that, and likewise people who are doing speed runs.

I'm not saying "don't buy an OLED, they suck", I'm saying that they are not the option I would go for for a video game screen. Even taking into account the input latency (which is worse than the IPS panels) they will have a much shorter usable lifespan. OLED screens usage case is basically the Netflix crowd that are cable cutters. Thus a lot of the problems with OLED aren't relevant because the UI is only visible for a few minutes before video is being played.

I don't think you're interpreting the conclusion correctly here. It's not 840 hours of being lit. It's 840 hours of being lit (mostly continuously; just 4 hours off per day), with the exact same image the entire time. Which nobody is going to do in practice.

Understood. And I am just letting you know how youre coming across with your repeated posts about it.

I'm really not trying to be mean, it just comes off wrong when I type it down.

Look, at the end of the day I just want people to get the most out of their money, that is all. The Super NT should be paired with a semi decent display, or else whats really the point of owning one? You know what I'm saying?

I imagine the sample conversion wouldn't matter much. 32kHz passed through the snes dac to generate analog stereo sound, to be processed as dolby pro logic by the receiver, likely passes through a 48khz adc prior to being separated into 4 or 5 discrete digital outputs, then passing through a final dac stage before being amplified and sent to discrete speakers. So by converting a 32khz digital pcm signal directly to 48kh without the unnecessary analog conversion, you should get superior sound to stock hardware. The surround sound games use a fairly simple pro logic I encoding scheme. Sounds intended for the center channel are applied to both stereo channels, attenuated by 3db. Sounds intended for the left or right channel are only applied to one stereo channel. Sounds intended for the rear channels are passed through both stereo channels, with one channel inverted. I recall playing Donkey Kong 64 on my old Cambridge Soundworks surround system to great effect. The sample rate conversion does not alter the phase of the waveform so should have no appreciable effect.

I became a connoisseur of surround sound in 2001, before much later discovering what true hifi sounded like. I downgraded from a 5.1 surround system with boxy full range drivers that lacked midbass (over compensated by a boomy subwoofer) to hifi 2-way Polk bookshelfs and never looked back. I now exclusively watch movies with stereo sound on a custom built Tritrix MTM Transmission Line tower speakers. The sound is so phenominal, I wouldn't dream of going back, as 2.0 great hifi speakers beats 5.1 crappy satallites and a sub. Maybe someday I'll build three more Tritrix bookshelf speakers and a surround amp to complete the hifi setup.

• Like 1

I Upload now two videos, how good quality video ANALOGUE NT MINI producing, first we have composite video, compared to Twin Famicom.

Please tell me what you think, later we compared more videos like S-video, component and RGB. I use latest Firmwares with Framemeister and Analogue NT Mini. This is my second console what I send back to Analogue and same problems is this new one.

First video is here:

Here is compared to Twin Famicom much better video quality than NT Mini:

I can't speak to any NTSC composite issues you may be having, but PAL composite and S-Video is broken in the latest Nt Mini jailbreak firmware. If you revert to v1.7 that red and green banding should go away.

• Like 3

My point was that revealing that their wouldn't be a jailbreak would harm sales (relative to not saying anything)

4da.jpg

Oh yea, because covering it up and misleading people would be great for sales. Absolutely wouldn't have any negative repercussions at any point. And so many, SO MANY people would continue to believe and buy the console just for the never confirmed jailbreak that isn't coming as long as Analogue simply doesn't say it never will.

• Like 1

I'm just responding to the link the guy sent me. Not all old stuff is bad, I agree with that, but some stuff is and there is nothing wrong with admitting that.

I'm really not trying to be mean, it just comes off wrong when I type it down.

Look, at the end of the day I just want people to get the most out of their money, that is all. The Super NT should be paired with a semi decent display, or else whats really the point of owning one? You know what I'm saying?

Okay, in your eyes my display is crap. So what? I might think the car someone drives is a piece of junk, but if it gets them where they need to go, why would I repeatedly call them out on it? I agree with Dadsglasses. You're only making yourself look like a tool by repeatedly telling everyone that your gear is better than mine. Get over it. I really don't give a crap what gear you use, and you shouldn't care about what I use either.