1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Geezus H you're going to make him NOT want to do it. If you are sure a JB is coming from the goodness of Kev's heart.. well great. Now keep your $180 refund thoughts to yourself and just enjoy what you get, and patiently wait.. or don't purchase it. No one cares. Kev already got soured on the TG16 due to individual comments who were in the minority but loud enough for him to notice. Just saying.

If theres a way to make a JB firmware work on everyones console but Wolfs, I hope they implement it ?

Returning a console that plays cartridges because it doesnt play roms (and never advertised that it would) is like returning a record player because it doesnt play mp3 files.

But seriously, I hope we can move on from talking about the merits of 12 year old TVs and return fraud.

• Like 4

It does something far better:

TCL

40FD2700 | Lx3: Y | SNES: Y | bkbreymeAlso 480p x2

S405 | Lx3: Y | SNES: Y | Lx4/5: Y/Y | DoctorPain99 Also 480p x2 and 480i passthrough. Also reported (43S405) by BahnYuki.

55P605 | Lx3: Y | SNES: Y | Lx4/5: Y/Y | BahnYuki Also 480p x2.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man, you guys spent a lot of time looking up stuff for someone who is happy with his current setup!

Everyone has different priorities. Up until last year, I was gaming on a 23" LCD TV. Only reason I bought a 50" tv to replace it is because my fiancé got frustrated with the size and wouldn't play games with me unless I got something bigger.

Your logic is the same as:

Which I've already explained was stupid because:

Obviously any "damage" done by admitting jailbreak wouldn't be coming would be nothing compared to the damage of intentionally misleading people. What kind of reaction do you think people will have if they fall for this strategy you're proposing Analogue is using and buy a console expecting it to get a jailbreak because one hasn't been denied only to find out it isn't coming? Do you think they will be happy? Will they just say "Good one, guess I'm stuck with this product that doesn't suit my needs but man did they pull one over on me!"? Or will they return the console and find out shipping is only $10 instead of $40 and be even more upset?

If you think my logic is flawed I strongly suggest you take a long hard look at yours because it is terrible.

You're just repeating the same thing you already said, so I'm not going to bother repeating what I think.

But regarding returning to Analogue: That wouldn't happen because of the 20% restocking fee. Instead they would sell on eBay, realize they could make a profit on Analogue consoles, and then buy even more in the future.

Edited by cacophony

No one is. If you file a claim for a single $180 that shouldn't get approved but are completely honest about why you want to return the device and the bank doesn't understand what is going on and approves it anyways then you haven't done anything illegal. And people dispute charges that shouldn't get approved all the time and at worst it gets rejected. No one gets prosecuted for jail time because they refute a single $180 charge.

You've flat-out admitted that you're lying as to why you're doing the charge-back.

You can claim that nobody gets caught... nor will you, etc all you want. My comment still stands that there are a lot of people behind bars who thought the same thing. Most people in prison (regardless of the crime) thought they were not going to get caught. Go ahead and test it out.

I'm dead serious too, I make a mean manicotti.

• Like 1

You're all neglecting the One True Reason that Analogue/Kevtris are silent on the custom firmware: krikzz paid them off to boost sd2snes sales. Jokes aside, I got tired of waiting so I just preordered a black Super Nt and pink sd2snes. Next month will be fun!

As for the current topic, it is a bit naïve to assume a non-answer means a positive answer. In fact it is dangerous to assume that, as you are misleading potential consumers who may buy the console on the premise of "that Wolf_ guy said there would be custom firmware!!". A non-answer is exactly that: a non-answer. It could be yes, it could be no. You cannot "logic" a positive answer no matter how hard you try.

Yes, I think that's a pretty good summary of the situation here.

• Like 4

You've flat-out admitted that you're lying as to why you're doing the charge-back.

You can claim that nobody gets caught... nor will you, etc all you want. My comment still stands that there are a lot of people behind bars who thought the same thing. Most people in prison (regardless of the crime) thought they were not going to get caught. Go ahead and test it out.

I'm dead serious too, I make a mean manicotti.

I didn't say no one gets caught. I said at worst they would deny the refund for not meeting their criteria. But the point is irrelevant because a jailbreak is obviously coming.

Man, you guys spent a lot of time looking up stuff for someone who is happy with his current setup!

Everyone has different priorities. Up until last year, I was gaming on a 23" LCD TV. Only reason I bought a 50" tv to replace it is because my fiancé got frustrated with the size and wouldn't play games with me unless I got something bigger.

God, I got majorly trolled in the RetroGaming subreddit about this. I had one display that I used for a reason and had multiple people telling me that what I really want is X. No matter how many times/ways I explained that I use what I use for a reason, they kept on going. My comments even got downvoted a bunch.

Sometimes, people are just content.

• Like 3

I didn't say no one gets caught. I said at worst they would deny the refund for not meeting their criteria. But the point is irrelevant because a jailbreak is obviously coming.

You're rationalizing about it. It's fine though. I was hoping for an excuse to cook Italian soon. Valentine's day is coming and she prefers Mexican.

If kevtris decides to bless us with cores at any point in the future, awesome; if he/analogue wants to charge $ for them I will gladly oblige. If they never do then thats cool too.

All I'm (or anyone else that has purchased one) entitled to is the Super NT as advertised, and I have no problems with that. Thank you kevtris for helping to give us the ability to buy a highly accurate FPGA based snes.

• Like 3

Just a FYI, that doesn't really happen. At least on a detectable level. 720 to 1080 digital scaling like that isn't the cause of everyone's problems. It's the analog to digital conversion. Or if the TV is just slow to begin with.

1080P TVs are also pretty much done for, at least in the medium to bigger sizes. They've been relegated to smaller low budget sets. It's cheaper for the manufacturers just to be cutting the mother glass for 4K. There's no reason for them to do 1080P runs anymore. Decent 4K sets from the 43" - 55" can be had for 300 - 400 bucks.

Upscaling 720p to 1080p creates input lag, and most 1080p tvs have crappy built-in upscalers. The amount of lag obviously varies by TV. I wasn't suggesting you buy a new 1080p tv, you could get a 49" used one for $50 on craigslist that would vastly improve your setup.

I hadn't tried actually. Given the issues I was having with the FM mod on my SMS with Wonder Boy (but not with "standard" FM games) I wanted to try it on the Mini to see if it worked. I'll try a few others on the Mini later this afternoon and report back.

So I just tried Golvellius on the Mini and that seems to work fine. So FM appears to work, it's just a matter of getting it to work with Wonder Boy III.

Edit: I did a search in this thread for Wonder Boy III and it was discussed about a year ago here. Kevtris said he'd look into it, but from what I could find, I don't think it was ever resolved unfortunately :(

Edited by jamon1567

For those that didnt see the MLiG stream last night, heres some of the stuff discussed that I can remember:

-Dont expect 32X, N64, or Saturn FPGA solutions anytime in the near future, or ever. The 32X and Saturn have way too many chips inside doing too much for a FPGA to handle. The way video is handled by 32X in conjunction with the Genesis is also really difficult to implement. The N64 runs at too fast a speed, and the RAM is different in a way that would make it extremely difficult to implement.

-The Sega CD seems off the table too, as having to run that hardware at the same as a Genesis core might be too much for a FPGA to handle. He hasnt investigated the GBA much, so no word on the feasibility of it.

-Kevtris says Neo Geo and PS1 are doable. Neo Geo is a brute force machine with hardware that can be reverse engineered into a FPGA. The PS1 seems to run things slow enough that Kevtris believes he can make an FPGA core for it.

-Dont expect settings profiles for the Super NT anytime soon. Kevtris said it would be pretty hard to implement into the firmware, so if he does decide to put it in there itll take some time to do.

-He was thinking about maybe putting a SPC player in the firmware, but its not a priority and may or may not happen. If it does, it wouldnt be anytime soon.

-No comment on jailbreaks, obviously.

For 32x and Sega CD, why not use multiple fpga chips?

I'd be returning it because it doesn't perform as expected. It said it would work with every game but I've noticed that it doesn't with certain games (roms). If they want to debate my bank on that they can feel free but good luck explaining it to them.

"Hi Best Buy, I'm returning this Blu-Ray player because the box says it works with all Blu-Rays but I irrationally expected it to play pirated Blu-Ray files I downloaded off piratebay and it doesn't. Argue with my bank if you (correctly) think I'm being an entitled asshole."

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder why Wolf_ is in this thread.

Do you even like the Super NT for what it does as is, Wolf_?

Sorry, truth is I have a lot of anger issues I'm poorly working through and the thought that a company would deliberately withhold information about their product to sell more units behind a wall of non-refundability and just leave people with a device perfectly capable of being jailbroken but won't be is just really really frustrating.

I obviously don't think that is the move Analogue is planning though and it was a stupid tangent to go down.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the Super Nt is legitimately a near perfect experience and if it doesn't get jailbroken that means all the systems the nt mini covered wouldn't be supported. At that point I'd probably just give up and switch to emulation because I sold off my nt mini and I'm not going to buy another one even if by some miracle it got a plastic shell and dropped $250 in price.

The Super Nt is really amazing but so much hinges on this one piece of news that hearing all the theories that it isn't going to happen for months has really taken it out of me. If it is like the Nt mini then we'll get confirmation of a jailbreak one week after it was released and the embargo dropped on the 7th so it is pretty telling that the release would fall on Valentines day and it is just a few days away so getting angry about bad theories now when we're probably about to get confirmation was stupid but I really can't believe people would think Analogue's plan for not commenting was to preserve sales with people that would be less happy with their product but pick it up anyways because they didn't know for certain. That's just... terrible.

• Like 1

I don't think comparing the Super NT to the NT Mini is necessarily reasonable. The fact alone that Kevtris would have to engineer all the cartridge chips makes it a different situation. All the features of the NT Mini, on the other hand, were basically sitting on Kevtris shelf for years before the NT Mini came out. Who knows if the FPGA in the NT Mini even has enough LEs for all these chips.

(I am certain that this very argument has been discussed countless times already in this thread, so apologies.)

Edited by Toni

So essentially you are upset you sold the NT Mini without any confirmation of a jailbreak for the Super NT. I see..

I still have my NT Mini for this exact reason...

I'm not going to hold onto a $500 console that can easily be entirely covered by a newer generation that includes an additional system. It simply isn't happening.

But no that isn't why it bothers me. It doesn't matter though because I don't think Analogue is a company that would not comment about something to falsely inflate the appeal of a product.

I own an SD2SNES and the special chip cartridges already. I just want the convenience factor of playing the games off an SD card at some point and to just sort of be consistent with my Nt Mini. It's like OCD-ish to me. It's the same reason I want the menu color to be Cyan on the Super Nt even though it's not available, LOL. I just want it to match my Nt Mini as best it can.

Edited by Toth

Sorry, truth is I have a lot of anger issues I'm poorly working through and the thought that a company would deliberately withhold information about their product to sell more units behind a wall of non-refundability and just leave people with a device perfectly capable of being jailbroken but won't be is just really really frustrating.

I obviously don't think that is the move Analogue is planning though and it was a stupid tangent to go down.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the Super Nt is legitimately a near perfect experience and if it doesn't get jailbroken that means all the systems the nt mini covered wouldn't be supported. At that point I'd probably just give up and switch to emulation because I sold off my nt mini and I'm not going to buy another one even if by some miracle it got a plastic shell and dropped $250 in price.

The Super Nt is really amazing but so much hinges on this one piece of news that hearing all the theories that it isn't going to happen for months has really taken it out of me. If it is like the Nt mini then we'll get confirmation of a jailbreak one week after it was released and the embargo dropped on the 7th so it is pretty telling that the release would fall on Valentines day and it is just a few days away so getting angry about bad theories now when we're probably about to get confirmation was stupid but I really can't believe people would think Analogue's plan for not commenting was to preserve sales with people that would be less happy with their product but pick it up anyways because they didn't know for certain. That's just... terrible.

It's unfortunate that you feel this way, but understandable as well -- when Kevtris dropped the jailbreak with the NT Mini, it set a precedent that could be expected by many in successive console releases. No doubt Analogue, Kevtris' benefactor and patron know of this very well now as well.

Also it's not obviously not impossible to port cores over, and the fact that there's no information (and Kevtris yesterday in the MLiG straight up told a donor to the stream "No comment" ) definitely leads to heartburn for many. It would be all too easy to just say "No cores, sorry". The fact that it's not happening would mean that the are picking a time to release this information, Kevtris is working on porting things over, Analogue is deliberating it's release, or any number or combinations of factors really.

It's interesting seeing what information that Kevtris divulges about new cores that I find interesting over the fact that he hasn't given a yes or no answer. The reality is that for many it will come down to the Super NT playing SNES Roms, NES Roms and Genesis ROMs in such a jailbreak. Just about everything else is negligible in terms of marketability for Analogue. In this sense, if I was this type of gamer, I wouldn't purchase until Kevtris made an announcement in the positive -- not get myself into the trap of purchasing a system with the promise (real or imagined) of additional functionality.

Edited by Sho
  • Like 2

I would love to see a way for Kevtris and Analogue to work together on additional cores and product-ize it and monetize it. It would be awesome to buy a core for Genesis as an example that came pre-installed on a genesis to SNES converter cartridge with a controller adapter or 2. Plug the cartridge adapter into your Super NT and it installs the core and away you go you have a Genesis. Realistically something like that would likely come on an SD card for installation but I'd pay for cores delivered that way for certain.

• Like 1