1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Can anybody test for special chip support on the JB firmware? Does it support DSP games at least? (it's only ~18 games but pretty good ones)https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#DSP

Not currently. At the very least, it should be technically feasible to put a DSP1 game in the slot as a donor. This technique has been proven to work somehow with cart copiers, but obviously the carts with extra pins won't work. That would put it on par with the Everdrive and Powerpak in terms of compatibility. I'm not ready to trust the SRAM saving yet as others have had issues deleting saves. It seems backing into the system menu saves it to SD (if I play a new game, save, and back up to the system menu, I can check the presence of save file in the save folder), but I havent played with it enough. Everdrive 2.0 actually contains sram and saves the game to sd cart when another game is loaded. This allows the power to be cut without hitting reset, and still retains the save.

Kevin might have a time window he needs to abide by, before he can officially announce his intentions or may not be at liberty to do so and may decide to go through intermediaries to avoid a direct connection. If he is involved, this "leak" might be considered a nice Valentine preview and teaser of things to come, over time, while he works out the kinks. Or it might wind up being a one-off. Being able to play games that work on base hardware is a nice plus anyway one looks at it, even if support for some of the enhancement chips will likely never materialize. (Will personally order a flash-cart, eventually...for what I can't scavenge, barter or trade for that is relatively affordable (cheap icon_razz.gif), otherwise. icon_wink.gif Whoever it was who released it - thank you. Just hope you and Kev see eye-to-eye , even if it is via mirror. icon_smile.gif

At a minimum, I really hope the save game bug(s) are fixed. But, yes, this is a great surprise! :)

Could also mean they aren't supported now, and never will be. It's a "just letting you know" type of thing.

I don't know the precise tech specs of the main chip or how how much space is left over or how much space a typical Enhancement Chip would need, but, I get the feeling it's more than what the console can handle or costs more effort than kev wants to expend right now.

Has anyone played Two Player on the Super Nt yet using two Retro Recievers?

How did it go?

Any interference between controllers?

I have. No interference between the controllers. But for whatever reason, using one or both of them does interfere with my laptops Wi-Fi signal. I use other Bluetooth devices all the time with no interference, but for whatever reason, it drops connection when using those controllers.

Yeah, "good enough" territory. I'm a little surprised that Nintendo didn't address the limitations that made it a no-go to use a PAR of 7:6 with the SNES, really.

This adds some context that makes it a bit easier to understand what you are trying to say. But this is also why us old folks (at least those who've dabbled in signal processing and video) refer to PAR and DAR as different things. In this case, I almost want a third term like "buffer aspect ratio" so that it's easier to explain that PAR * BAR = DAR, and that they are all related to one another.

But I just want to point out that the bit that stuck out at me was when you said "think you're talking about 8:7 pixel AR", which made me go "what?". I actually went to re-read sources because it contradicted everything about the math you also presented, and I thought I had misunderstood something fundamental about the NES/SNES pixel processing. But honestly, I'm not entirely sure you can easily get the average Joe/Jane to understand what's really going on without at least introducing the concept of non-square pixels.

Was a flash used on this? That white seems brighter than intended on the Super NT?

Yes, it was. I tried a flash with my Classic Super Nt and got the same silvery result from the surface around the cartridge port and buttons.

My crappy unboxing video of the Super NT from last night:

Bug Report: Super NT Mini may not display properly on some 720p flat panel TVs...

Hmm, perhaps defaulting to 1080p60 might not be the right solution since there might be broken EDID or broken capture cards. Would it be possible to set the SuperNT in a failsafe mode (eg 1080p60, 720p60, 480p60) when powered on if both shoulder buttons are held down or something? Bringing it directly to the resolution menu every time in a different mode until something shows up?

Hmm, perhaps defaulting to 1080p60 might not be the right solution since there might be broken EDID or broken capture cards. Would it be possible to set the SuperNT in a failsafe mode (eg 1080p60, 720p60, 480p60) when powered on if both shoulder buttons are held down or something? Bringing it directly to the resolution menu every time in a different mode until something shows up?

A hotkey for safe mode upon boot could force 480p, which every monitor should support, including rare 1080i CRTs that can't process 720p.

Here are the three bugs I've noticed on the jailbreak firmware so far.

1. Game Saves only work a fraction of the time (Already Reported Several Times)

2. In Game Menu won't come up with "select and down". (Has only done this one time. Don't remember the game though)

3. Scan Lines have to be re activated each time Super NT is turned off and then back on when using SD card for games.

I am using 720p and normal scan lines. The button is activated in menu but I have to toggle it off and back on

and then scan lines work for remainder of time the unit is left on.

I am in no way complaining. I've had a blast enjoying "Christmas" on Valentines Day! Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that might be squashing bugs.

3. Scan Lines have to be re activated each time Super NT is turned off and then back on when using SD card for games.

I am using 720p and normal scan lines. The button is activated in menu but I have to toggle it off and back on

and then scan lines work for remainder of time the unit is left on.

There have been similar reports of the height/width settings reverting to the default 4.5x/etc when loading roms from the sd card so perhaps none of the settings are remembered

First of all...Kevtris is a retro gaming god! Thank you for your massive contributions to the hobby and community!!

1. Is it possible to use a Super Famicom cart game (with expansion chip) and apply a fan translation patch to it?

2. Is it possible to do the same, but with a rom (no expansion chip) on a SD card and obviously using the JB firmware?

3. Can we get an option for 32 kHz audio? (Isn’t this the native output on a real console?)

4. What are your thoughts on eventually being able to sync the native refresh rate with a HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate display? What version of HDMI is the Super Nt using?

5. What types of SD cards does the Super Nt support?

*Sorry for all the questions. The FAQ on Analogues site is pretty small.

• Like 1

If you are experiencing save problems, please try formatting the SD card using fat32format or SD Formatter 5. Please report back with your settings if successful.

In case you missed it, that idea didn't seem to help from what I can tell:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4557692/

and

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4559248/

Is there anyone that has reliably been able to save? (I can't try myself until the weekend, unfortunately)

Do you have a Super Nt Smoke Monster?

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 1

As of right now, nothing works other than vanilla SNES games with no enhancement chips (which is what the vast majority of SNES games are). You'll get a message that says "Enhancement Chip Not Supported" if you try to run them.

Also, it's worth noting that the no S-DD1/96Mbit hacks of Star Ocean also don't work on the jailbreak firmware. They'll load, but only to a black screen.

That makes sense actually. If the JB firmware is just a bootloader without changing the FPGA core file (which is my guess) and the core doesn't implement expansion chips, then it would not run them. The expansions aren't needed if you use real carts anyway. At least it replaces the need for a basic Everdrive, given the DSP chip is optional for it.

Odd about Star Ocean, do you mean it does not work even with an SD2SNES?

Edited by Newsdee

If you are experiencing save problems, please try formatting the SD card using fat32format or SD Formatter 5. Please report back with your settings if successful.

I can confirm I'm using FAT32 format. Also, my save files are in the correct (default) place and are .sav files. I still can't save. It's cool though. I'm sure it'll get fixed and there are plenty of games I can play that don't rely on that.

2. Is it possible to do the same, but with a rom (no expansion chip) on a SD card and obviously using the JB firmware?

Your best bet is to patch the ROM and put it in the SD card or SD2SNES. I don't think the latter supports auto IPS patching, either.

Applying these patches need to be ROM based, so that rules out carts unless the unit acts like a dumper before running. Technically doable but would be a lot of work (I suppose). It would also prevent using the real expansion chips inside the cart (if any).

That said, I do agree IPS patching on the fly would be an awesome feature to have!

• Like 1

Hey Smokemonster. Thanks for all the work for the community.

I have reformated my SD card with fat32format, and tested the save feature three times. It worked every time.

If I try pressing Down and select to exit the SNT menu it doesn't, but if I only press select it does exit the menu just fine.

Now I'd have to test, but I remember not being able to ope the SNT menu in secret of mana. I'll have to retest though, to be sure it was on 4.1, and what happens on Jailbreak.

• Like 1

Hey Smokemonster. Thanks for all the work for the community.

I have reformated my SD card with fat32format, and tested the save feature three times. It worked every time.

If I try pressing Down and select to exit the SNT menu it doesn't, but if I only press select it does exit the menu just fine.

Now I'd have to test, but I remember not being able to ope the SNT menu in secret of mana. I'll have to retest though, to be sure it was on 4.1, and what happens on Jailbreak.

What game(s) did you try? Also, did you try switching between different games that have saves? I would try some of the problematic games that others are reporting because it may be partly game/steps dependent, and even then it sounds like an intermittent issue:

"Well, I did what you said and I have indeed been having much better luck. However, it's not perfect. After making this change, I've managed to hold onto my DQ5 and Emerald Dragon saves through all kinds of changes, however Glory of Heracles 3, DQ3, and DQ6 (JP version, not even with the weird janky patch) will still lose their saves randomly.

EDIT: Aaand now after switching to a bunch of other games and back to Emerald Dragon, that save is gone now."

(from https://www.resetera.com/threads/analogue-super-nt-pre-order-now-ships-2-2018-now-youre-playing-with-super-power.8886/page-46#post-4557692)

Edited by cacophony

Well I got my Super NT today. Kevtris (and Analogue) thanks so much... I remember as a kid feeling this magical moment when I plugged in my SNES and the image came on the tv... partly wondering how it worked, marvelling at the visuals and the sound. Then just getting lost and playing for a long while... Well, as an adult, I felt that same way again... staring at perfect visuals, gorgeous sound, marvelling at how someone could reverse engineer this classic (my fave system of all time) and make this masterpiece. And of course, feeling zero noticeable input lag, really felt CRT-like (as good as playing on my PVM)... just kept playing and playing even though I should get sleep hehe.

Upon first run, halfway through a first level of Super Mario World, my Samsung TV flashed to black for a second or two, and then back to the game. This usually occurs only when there's a changing resolution. I thought it was odd, but continued playing for a very long time, through various levels, other games (Mario Kart, Turrican DC, Mega Man X2) and the whole time this problem did not occur once more. Very odd how it only happened that once and (so far) never again. I wonder if others experienced that oddity. It was a one off event which didn't recur, and I hope doesn't recur again.

That said, I really am impressed with this console.

- As far as I can tell, this thing is perfectly engineered to play just like a real SNES (damn fine job there Kevtris!)

- The sound seems better! Maybe it's just because the signal is so clean.

- I love the physical feel and look of the console. I got the SF edition and it's just beautiful to behold. It feels expensive, quality... the plastic is really nice to look at and the texture is just right. I like the design in every way. Has weight to it which I like... feels very sturdy. - Taking the carts in and out is really easy, I feel like the fit is just right, less tight than I expected but not loose at all. I can tell it's not going to wear out fast or break. Seems even better than the original. Big props there.

- I loooove that it takes both Super Famicom games and SNES games. I never modified my original SNES because I felt against it... and I had a Super Famicom. So I'm excited to go through my Super Famicom library in more detail.

- Menu is nice, I like the select + down and that it doesn't interfere with the sd2snes at all..

- Love that the sd2snes works on it too! Works perfectly.

- I never played Super Turrican before... but wow is this good!

Things which would be cool:

- I wish the LED could be the original SNES LED colour. Maybe it can but I didn't see the option in the menu, I could change it to various colours, just not the one I wanted.

- I would be happier to play Chrono Trigger (Super Famicom) off the real cartridge instead of the USA version I have on my sd2snes... But it's in Japanese, which I cannot understand. So a translation patch option would be neat. However, no big deal, as I can always just play off the sd2snes.

Anyways great system to add right next to my beautiful AVS, my only other fpga console.

Thanks soooooo much!

I had issues with saves previously but I managed to get them to work every time across all my games.

First, I formatted with SD Formatter 5, and then copied a fresh version of your Super Everdrive - SD2SNES pack released on Valentine's.

However at this point, saves still seemingly did not work. Then I noticed in the pack that both the directories for the sd2snes OS and Super Everdrive OS were in there. Sure enough, after I deleted the folder titled SPED, my saves became 100% consistent.

I hope this helps!

Edited by rezb1t
  • Like 1

I had issues with saves previously but I managed to get them to work every time across all my games.

First, I formatted with SD Formatter 5, and then copied a fresh version of your Super Everdrive - SD2SNES pack released on Valentine's.

However at this point, saves still seemingly did not work. Then I noticed in the pack that both the directories for the sd2snes OS and Super Everdrive OS were in there. Sure enough, after I deleted the folder titled SPED, my saves became 100% consistent.

I hope this helps!

I assume one would want to delete both the SPED and sd2nes directories if it's being used solely for the Super Nt jailbreak, right? It's kind of strange that this latest pack seems to have a bunch of existing saves in those two directories... (but I guess it could be due to where I got it from)

Was this the directory structure you used?

root dir

-- SAVES

-- SNES <--- saves go here

-- SNES <--- rom folders go in here

Edited by cacophony

I assume one would want to delete both the SPED and sd2nes directories if it's being used solely for the Super Nt jailbreak, right? It's kind of strange that this latest pack seems to have a bunch of existing saves in those two directories...

Yep that should also work. I think you might have to create a folder at /SAVES/SNES on your sd card to hold the saves as detailed in the readme, but maybe the SNT JB firmware makes the folders if none of the options exist.

EDIT: I preserved the sd2snes OS folder so that the Super NT would use my saves from the sd2snes, and it seems to work perfectly

Edited by rezb1t
  • Like 1

Are you gonna make a rompack for the Super NT? (all without expansion chips)

Also, I'm missing the Shadowrun (SW) (swedish) version i the PAL addon pack. :o

One of few games translated to swedish, back in the day it was really cool. :)

Well, further testing failed. I geot a 64 gigs card formatted with fat32format, placed only the folders required in it with ROMs, loaded up seiken densetsu, saved, exit to menu, changed game, came back, and no luck. The system is creating a save file. It just doesn't load, or write. I don't know.

Seiken Densetsu 2, uses the select button to change characters. You can't use the down+select to go to the SNT menu untill you open up the game's circle menus, or enter dialogue. The hotkey just doesn't work till I do. In mario World it does work though. Even though, unfortunately you'll drop your item...

So The small 2GB card seems to be working to save files, the big ne isn't. MAybe what we need is a specific block size or something like that? The big SD got formater with a different setting...

Edited by leods