1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

But i wasn't even interpreting anything Smoke (or his team) did negatively or talking bad about him (them). I just doubt that this "curating" should have taken hundreds of hours if he didn't dump all the games by himself.

I commented on the following he has and those who excessively praise and aggresively defend him, the latter even when he is not attacked by any means. This says more about his followers than him to be honest.

Also I didn't write in the context of this jailbreak he wrote or helped distribute and didn't express distrust towards him. I trust him as much or little as I trust anyone I don't know in person or have directly interacted with and so should you.

It isn't just the finished set for basically every flash cart in existence he has curated. He also has to update and patch again all the existing hacks and translations every time an update comes out. What you are seeing is only the finished product. Also I was not "attacking" you because I said why I trust SmokeMonster.

I'm just saying that when a nice guy donates so much of his time to do awesome stuff for the community you don't exactly have any reason to doubt him if he isn't doing anything suspicious or asking anything from you. He is just like "Hey I have a jb, it's awesome" and people question him like he laced it with ghb or something.

We know you didn't. This guy tried pulling the same thing with me... twisting what I said into something it wasn't. It reminds me of the limo driver in "Me, Myself and Irene" when he and Charlie get into it.

Ignore the troll. He does crossfit.

Edited by Jakir

It isn't just the finished set for basically every flash cart in existence he has curated. He also has to update and patch again all the existing hacks and translations every time an update comes out. What you are seeing is only the finished product. Also I was not "attacking" you because I said why I trust SmokeMonster.

I'm just saying that when a nice guy donates so much of his time to do awesome stuff for the community you don't exactly have any reason to doubt him if he isn't doing anything suspicious or asking anything from you. He is just like "Hey I have a jb, it's awesome" and people question him like he laced it with ghb or something.

Ignore the troll. He does crossfit.

Now I'm a "troll"? I'm not sure how new you are to message forums so please don't take offense but disagreeing with someone is not trolling. This was a very common misconception back in the mid-2000s.

Be sure to set your display to zero overscan for any of these recommendations. Both options will give you a 4:3 aspect ratio and crisp scanlines.

The following settings will crop a small amount of pixels at the top and bottom, but I see nothing meaningful lost in any game I've played so far:

Resolution: 1080p60

Width: 1600

Height: 1200

Vertical position: 45

Scaler: No scaler, enable both Horizontal and Vertical Interpolation

Scanlines: Hybrid scanlines, set depth to taste (I use 50)

The following settings provide pixel-perfect output with zero cropping, but you'll have empty space on all sides because the image won't fill the screen vertically:

Resolution: 1080p60

Width: 5x (1280)

Height: 4x (960)

Scaler: No scaler, Disable both horizontal and vertical interpolation

Scanlines: Normal scanlines, depth to taste

It also depends what you consider the "correct" aspect ratio for SNES games. My take is that we played the original console on 4:3 TVs, so even though the SNES's internal aspect ratio is 8:7, a CRT would've stretched it to 4:3 anyway, so 1280x960 provides a perfectly scaled image in a proper aspect ratio.

This. If you can’t disable overscan and get an integer scale then scanlines will be uneven and results, underwhelming. Some TVs don’t even have the option. Some hide it by forcing you to label an input for “PC” or something weird to disable overscan. Even where they have the option there is no consistency in how it is labeled (1:1, JustScan, Full Pixel, PC, etc). As a result, only the most dedicated enthusiasts are going to enjoy scanlines. :)

The good news is, getting it to that point makes the image better with or without scanlines so it’s a good litmus year for your TV settings and for determining if you have a non-integer scale happening somewhere.

Well to whoever did the jailbreak I just want to say thanks. Assuming the save issue (and perhaps honoring of settings bug) get worked out, Ill be able to stop depending on the Super Everdrive.

Also, I wish there was some way to buy Kevtris his drink/snack of choice to show appreciation for all his work.

There is: Buy his products. ;)
  • Like 1

Now I'm a "troll"? I'm not sure how new you are to message forums so please don't take offense but disagreeing with someone is not trolling. This was a very common misconception back in the mid-2000s.

But you weren't disagreeing with me. You were twisting my response to someone else, a simple explanation of what SmokeMonster's packs have to offer and my observations of his character, into some kind of attack on that person by simply answering their question. A question from the way they reacted they evidently didn't want answered.

This twisting of the facts to provoke a reaction is trolling. Also you can reply to this if you want but I've now blocked you so I won't be notified or able to view it. That is how to deal with trolls, let them talk to an invisible wall.

• Like 1

I have been having fun with the jailbreak firmware all afternoon and decided to play Home Alone (dont ask). The game loads up but goes black after the title screen when the game starts.

Here is my want list for the official/jailbreak firmwares:

- the ability to shut down a cartridge from the menu

- the ability to dump cartridges to SD card (like NT Mini)

- the ability to create/save/load custom settings configurations

- a better on screen description of what specific settings do

- the option to increase the font size of menu interface

- more font style options

- built in display calibration assist tool (RGB color bars, greyscale, etc)

- the ability to power down the Super NT hardware remotely via the menu

Yes. I would also like custom presets and the ability to reinitialize when booting a cart versus resetting.

Reset doesn’t always clear high-scores and reinitialize memory, which is why some prior selections remain and why some games will let you skip forced intros by resetting. Selecting “Run cartridge” simulates a reset.

I’d also like the ability to save or reset settings on a per-screen basis.

Edited by CZroe

But you weren't disagreeing with me. You were twisting my response to someone else, a simple explanation of what SmokeMonster's packs have to offer and my observations of his character, into some kind of attack on that person by simply answering their question. A question from the way they reacted they evidently didn't want answered.

This twisting of the facts to provoke a reaction is trolling. Also you can reply to this if you want but I've now blocked you so I won't be notified or able to view it. That is how to deal with trolls, let them talk to an invisible wall.

I wasn't twisting anything. I pointed out how you took comments from more than 1 person and read them in some bizarre way and went after the persons (twisting).

Oh no! The pot/kettle who created his account 3 days ago blocked me! Now my weekend is ruined... :(

Edited by Mattelot

Yes. I would also like custom presets and the ability to reinitialize when booting a cart versus resetting.

Reset doesn’t always clear high-scores and reinitialize memory, which is why some prior selections remain and why some games will let you skip forced intros by resetting. Selecting “Run cartridge” simulates a reset.

I’d also like the ability to save or reset settings on a per-screen basis.

Since there's a button shortcut for "reset," "Run Cartridge" should definitely simulate a full power cycle instead, I think. Hopefully we get a change like that.

OK, I so habitually turn off my TV when I leave the room, and back on when I return, that I don't even think about what I'm doing. It's basically subconscious. Been doing it ever since I got a plasma ten years ago, to avoid burn-in from static elements.

So, yeah, the NT was turning off because I turn the TV off. Feature, not a bug.

Super NT only outputs at 60.00hz.

I figured it was either something like this (HDMI CEC) or one of those Eco power strips that turns off everything else when a master device is powered off. I did see someone requesting HDMI CEC though, which makes me think it’s not supported. Perhaps it’s just the feature where it automatically powers in when you select the input which isn’t supported.

Talking about an old-school CRT-like experience, I have already mentioned that UltraHDMI (also FPGA-based) has something called "Retro Mode", you can see how this looks on this page.

Kevtris already incorporated the hybrid scanlines used in UltraHDMI Retro Mode. Retro Mode also simulates the images changing size with brightness/white level.

Do you prefer the look of scanlines in 1080p vs 720p? When I use scanlines on 1080p they never seem to look right and the text gets lines through it. When I use the scanlines on 720 it looks more natural with the scanlines not going through text when using hybrid scanlines. I might just need to mess with it more

Scanlines usually look bad at 1080p because that is a 4.5x scale from 240p (thickness of every pixel row alternates between 4 an 5 pixels thick). At 5x the screen will be a bit cropped at 1080p (much like CRT overscan) but at least the lines will be a consistent thickness. If you still get alternating bands or moire effects from the scanlines then your TV is still scaling in some way other than a simple integer scale. If possible, turn off overscan simulation, SmoothMotion, or whatever else may be processing the image.

I am using 1462x1200 @ 1080p60; SNES output of 224x256 displayed on a 4:3 display meant 8:7 pixel width:height, so at 5x scale, the width is multiplied by an additional 8/7 (256 x 5 x 8/7 = 1462). Disabled vertical interpolation because it's a clean multiple along the vertical axis.

Yes, but what did you do to disable overscan? ;)

Sounds like you got it if you have a clean multiple on the vertical axis.

The setting is extremely obfuscated in most displays despite being enabled by default unless you are using a PC monitor. It’ll ruin most people’s best efforts to get an integer scale if they can’t disable it.

From what I understand it's not possible to power the Super NT on or off remotely because of the way the power switch works, but would it be possible to create a sleep or low-power state? This way you could just leave your Super NT on all the same and just tell it to sleep at the end of each session. This could also help people who are running the JB firmware to remember to push their saves to their SD card when returning to the menu to put their console to sleep at the end of the session.

I'm thinking that while sleeping the chips might slow down, the display would stop updating, and the LED might dimly throb until the user presses start or something like that. Possible?

The power switch is momentary so it is not a factor. If you power off, unplug, press power, then plug back in, you still have to press power again to turn it on.

It does have a satisfying click though. :)

One of the video reviews I saw clearly never used a Super Famicom because they thought it didn’t slide like the North American SNES. :D

Are you saying that Smoke is the Melvil Dewey of roms? I love it. I agree.

lol man I for one appreciated it, finally getting the nice organization of the thousands of roms we've literally had for decades. It's always something I thought about could/should be done... but there was zero way I'd ever spend the time to do it.. it's a ton of work :lol:

I mean It'd suck going to a library and it's 200,000 books were simply sorted in alphabetical order.. vs. having the sections we know right? :)

The power switch is momentary so it is not a factor. If you power off, unplug, press power, then plug back in, you still have to press power again to turn it on.

It does have a satisfying click though. :)

One of the video reviews I saw clearly never used a Super Famicom because they thought it didn’t slide like the North American SNES. :D

I agree. The Super NT's power button click is *really* satisfying.

• Like 1

Smoke's rom packs never interested me because of all the bad games you're gonna get with a complete set.

I've always preferred starting from a full set, and deleting games I'm 100% certain I don't want. Then what's left are a list of games I know I want and "unknown" games where I don't remember them, or I haven't tried them before. I enjoy the discovery aspect, and I can always erase more of 'em later.

I find if I try to put together my own list of ideal games, I always forget quite a few, and find myself going back again and again over time to add the missing games in.

Hey Kevtris,

Regarding the possibility of offering 60.08Hz output, and what to do if someone enabled it without their display supporting it... I thought of a few ideas that could possibly help this. Let me know if any or all of these aren't possible. It's a bit lengthy, so I apologize for that. I wanted to keep it as brief as possible while still explaining what I mean.

1. Offer the 60.08Hz option as an advanced video option. When the option is activated and the output is at 60.08Hz, a prompt comes up with something like "Your display supports this output mode. Enter the following button combination to confirm", with a random button combination presented on the screen and a countdown timer. If they don't enter the button combination in time, the output reverts to 60Hz. If they enter the combination before the timer runs out, the 60.08 option sticks.
  2. This option kinda goes hand in hand with the first one. If you could implement #1, then implementing this one (if possible) would probably make sense for getting out of 60.08 Hz if you got a new TV or sold the unit to someone whose display doesn't support 60.08Hz. So here the idea is: Have it so that if you power on the Super NT while holding down the reset button, the configuration options (not just video) reset to factory defaults. Or instead of doing both #1 and #2, you could do just the factory reset boot-up thing but when someone changes the video output to 60.08 Hz, first put up a message saying something like "If you get no video output after changing this option, power the console off, then power it on while holding the reset button to restore factory default settings".
  3. Make 60.08 Hz an option that is not even in the menu on the console. Instead, make it a super-advanced option (reducing mistakes by general consumers) by having the console look for an "snes.config" file or whatever, in the root of the SD card whenever it boots. If it finds a line along the lines of "60.08hz=on", then it enables that mode. Not only would this make it so people couldn't accidentally turn it on and lock themselves out of video, but it would also provide a fail-proof way of figuring out if your display supports the mode. If you add that file with that line of text and your system boots up with no video, simply power the console down, take the SD card out and delete the file or the line of text. Additionally, this could maybe be a way to allow additional advanced or bleeding edge settings that you wouldn't want general consumers to accidentally stumble upon and enable through the main menu. Just add the appropriate line of text in the snes.config file to activate them.

Anyway, those are just some ideas I thought of. Not sure if any or all are impossible.

Since this thread has derailed, what about the OP creating a new one for people who want to discuss about the Super NT and compatibility issues?

This thread has gone to the dogs honestly, I'd just post any compatibility issues here. I know, its for the unofficial firmware but you know. ;)

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/issues

• Like 1

This thread has gone to the dogs honestly, I'd just post any compatibility issues here. I know, its for the unofficial firmware but you know. icon_wink.gif

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/issues

SmokeMonster also just posted his list of every game that doesn't work on the Super Nt from his sd2snes pack. There are like 30 games total so that's an impressively low number. I imagine most of them were probably coded on an emulator and don't work because the emulator doesn't behave the same way as a real snes but just in case any of them actually used real snes hardware in a way other games didn't I hope Kevtris takes a peak to see if there is anything he can do to make the SNT even more accurate.

I really hope he looks into that menu disabling glitch specifically. It sucks when you are browsing through your game list and you suddenly can't use the menu or remember where you were and how to get back to it. The only way out is to power off the console (which resets any unsaved settings).

Also there were a few games in the chip games folder that didn't give proper warning about it. SmokeMonster linked to a writeup a member of his team did in this post here:

https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?101715-EverDrive-Packs-Release-Thread&p=1916388#post1916388

Edited by Jakir

@Kevtris

I want to report a possible bug with the PAL version of Super Mario World. The game has graphical glitches on the start screen, as well as on the top of the picture when the background scrolls during normal gameplay. There are also white points appearing during transitions on the world map.

Here's a video demonstrating them. (Sorry for recording it with my phone, I don't have capture equipment.)

https://youtu.be/wYsc8drTsws

I am running firmware 4.1 and a resolution of 1080p@60hz. I haven't noticed issues with my other PAL games.

Maybe it's related to running a PAL game with an output refresh rate of 60hz. I am unable to change the resolution to 1080p@50hz. The system seems to crash to a black screen when I try it. Only turning it off and on again fixes it. My TV is an LG B6 65". (The system also seems to crash when I press the Reset button.)

Edited by Toni

Smoke's rom packs never interested me because of all the bad games you're gonna get with a complete set.

I start with his pack because it has all the bios files and junk you would ever need. Then I delete all the extra stuff. Once you've done it once you pretty much have a library of stuff that will last you forever. Though, I haven't tried doing it since he stopped actually placing the files into the zip. I have no idea how to build it using the github thing. I think his files (maybe just the older ones) are on that archive website now though a lot of the stuff is locked behind registration. I think Nintendo scared a lot of people and sites recently as it is the Nintendo stuff that is getting harder to find.

Edited by Toth

Just as a note, you can report actual bugs in the official firmware through the Analogue support page, and it's probably a good idea to do so. Given the volatility of this thread, it can't be expected that every thing posted here will be noticed, but anything sent there is probably more likely to be noted.

As well, posting bugs in the official firmware on the jailbreak thread might not be useful. Despite all assumptions, there's still no guarantee Kevtris is working on it, and the people maintaining the database have said in the bug reports there that it's for bugs specifically with the jailbreak. Until someone "official" (jailbreak maintainers or Kevtris) says otherwise, it's probably just best to post bug reports to their respective "right" places to make sure they get seen at the right time by the right people. As well, if a bug might be a hardware failure instead, it probably streamlines the rate at which you can get a replacement.

The value (reason) is to answer the people who would be satisfied by the same rational and possibly lessen the volume of people demanding to know.

Its clear that Kevtris is neither confirming nor denying involvement. You can bet that there is a good reason for it and its actually pretty easy to see why when you think about it.

What would be the biggest concern with selling a product that can play authorized and unauthorized copies? Legal threats claiming that playing unauthorized copies is the intended purpose. Bear with me...

Remember the Bung Doctor V64? It billed itself as everything BUT a backup/copy device, even though it was made primarily for copying N64 games.

They claimed it added surround sound to your N64 with some audio processing that the user is bound to bypass. They claimed that it turned your N64 into a VCD player even though it could do that with no N64 attached (excused the CD-ROM drive). They claimed that it was an unofficial (yet perfectly legal) development kit, which was true enough already (Acclaim/Iguana Entertainment definitely had one), but they still tried to emphasize it by holding dev competitions like Presence of Mind 98 (POM98) with Dextrose. Anyway, as if all that wasnt enough, they also removed the Backup option from the machines BIOS, which effectively stopped users from pirating games themselves (you could still download). They intentionally left the Backup functions in the BIOS through every revision but one single byte controlled whether or not the option appeared on the menu. Sure enough, the Backup-enabled ( B ) version of the BIOS was always available within seconds of a new BIOS being shared online. Bungs own partners were sharing it, but Bung themselves could not acknowledge it. Why?

Nintendo was suing them. Nintendo successfully argued that the primary purpose was piracy and got imports blocked around much of the world. It didnt matter that it could also be a legitimate dev kit. It didnt matter that it could also be used for legitimate backup purposes. It didnt matter that it was also a VCD player or sound enhancer: What mattered was that Nintendo was able to convince others that the primary purpose was piracy.

Now, theres no question that the primary purpose of the Super Nt is to play original SNES games, but thats thanks to them taking efforts to make this abundantly clear.

Even with the Nt Mini, Kevtris did not openly talk about the jailbreak until after the device was on the market. Why? Whats the difference? The difference goes back to the intended purpose. You cant argue that its intended purpose was to play pirated games when it neither shipped with nor mentioned that feature until after it was already selling. Even then, they made it a point to distance themselves from what Kevtris was doing. Its increasingly hard to do when people are saying things like can you really call it a jailbreak when the creator himself is throwing the gates wide open? Theyre definitely leaning on and promoting Kevtris involvement even more this time around, making his association with the Super Nt a huge selling point. As such, they need to be even more careful that it does not appear that they are using piracy or the promise of a jailbreak to sell this.

Asking Kevtris not to acknowledge the jailbreak this time around is an additional caution that makes sense in this context. No one can claim that the Super Nt was sold for piracy when they never mentioned nor promoted nor publicly enabled such functionality. It was never a selling point except for people who read between the lines and those people should also know not to expect an acknowledgement. Kevtris refusing to comment should be all the acknowledgement we need, since there is no reason he cant deny it if he really werent involved. He literally said no comment on the MLiG live stream.

Continuing to harp on whether or not this comes from Kevtris is just adding noise. You arent going to get an answer unless Analogue and Kevtris agreed to a certain time frame before mentioning it. Since that doesnt appear to be after launch like it was last time, then there may not be a time frame as a direct consequence of leaning on Kevtris more heavily for marketing.

I will continue telling people who ask not to bother asking. They may have reasons for wanting to ensure it was written by Kevtris but there are also reasons why no one can confirm that. Telling them how/why they can assume it is Kevtris and why it doesnt matter is a noble effort.

By taking these precautions, Kevtris and Analogue have ensured that no one can possibly claim that the Super Nt was intended for or marketed for piracy.

FYI, Analogue/Kevtris may already be on Nintendos legal radar for a different issue, making them extra-careful this time around. Remember when the NES Classic Edition launched and retailers like Best Buy and GameStop were selling counterfeit controllers? They may not have said Nintendo on them but there was absolutely no way for the average consumer to know they were ordering a fake from the website (thumbnails were too small) and even in-store half the employees insisted that they were the official Nintendo controllers. I personally witnessed a GameStop employee *insisting* that the NES Classic Edition controller on their website was the official Nintendo one, even though it wasnt, and he was instructing people to order that with in-store pick-up. Several people I know ordered it and got a controller with a white cord (didnt even match the thumbnail).

Now, remember that it was a controller trademark/design registration that confirmed the SNES Classic. Nintendos trademark/patent on the D-pad may be gone and they may have ignored these extremely close designs for years, but Nintendo still cares about rip-off controllers that copy their design. Clearly. Look at the efforts manufacturers are taking to differentiate their SNES Classic Edition controllers this time around.

Remember the Analogue Nt Minis bundled 8bitdo NES30 controller? What do you see when you look at 8bitdos website now? It was discontinued, retconned to N30 to avoid using NES, and there isnt a single picture anywhere. Clearly, there is a concern with design and trademarks here and thats possibly why the Nt Mini isnt currently available. Several of 8bitdos other controllers, like the SN30, were also presumably too close for comfort, so they were discontinued and replaced with the new design... the same design used for the matching Super Nt Bluetooth controllers (previously proprietary wireless). Im willing to bet that any future shipment of Analogue Nt Mini will have a very different controller.

I couldnt work this in above but Bung did it again with the GB Xchanger and Doctor GB Card: they acted like the devices were more for digital greeting cards, electronic classroom exams, etc. Deniability is really the only reason that useless voice recorder flash cart exists (stores a couple seconds of voice).

If getting sued by Nintendo for enabling piracy of carts not sold in 25 years was a real danger, how are SD2SNES and Everdrives sold openly without issue?

• Like 1

If getting sued by Nintendo for enabling piracy of carts not sold in 25 years was a real danger, how are SD2SNES and Everdrives sold openly without issue?

It’s not the carts that matter, it’s the IP. With the SNES Classic Edition having sold millions and millions since the end of September, I have to assume you are being deliberately disingenuous when you behave as if this is just about piracy affecting *cartridge* sales. You KNOW that’s not a valid point. Look no further than the demonstrated retail viability of the NES CE and SNES CE if you need proof that the IP is still worth something (extremely valuable, even).

The answer regarding SD2SNES and Everdrive should be obvious but that’s already explained here:

I understand what you’re saying but you never know when Nintendo is going to suddenly assert themselves, like with the NES Classic Edition suddenly triggering their concern for knock-off NES controllers (despite them being on the market for several years).

Kevtris is American (Indiana) and so is Analogue (Washington). Krikzz/Everdrives (Ukraine), Super UFO (China), Bung (Hong Kong), etc generally operate beyond Nintendo’s reach and Bunny actually stopped making the Power Pak. Even before that, he stopped blatantly selling Nintendo World Championships bootlegs due to increased scrutiny (it definitely wasn’t legal). If the Power Pak were marketed even half as much as the Super Nt was then I would think it’s very possible to end up in Nintendo’s cross-hairs, especially as they roll out the SNES Classic and Switch Virtual Console (assuming it happens).

It seems to me that American companies and individuals have to be extra careful with this stuff. It’s reasonable that Analogue and Kevtris are doing exactly that. They want to stay above-board and beyond reproach all while giving us exactly what we wanted.

Nintendo pitched a legal fit about Game Boy Xchanger, Professor SF/Game Doctor, Super Wildcats DX2, Doctor V64, V64jr, CD64, Mr. Backup Z64, and so many others. It’s safe to assume that their stance on cartridge hardware for playing ROMs probably hasn’t changed. It’s not safe to assume that they don’t care, even if they don’t. It looks like Analogue and Kevtris are playing it safe. Nintendo isn’t the only rights holder who might try to assert their rights over a feature like that.

Ever wonder why Hyperkin doesn’t allow the RetroN5 to play ROM dumps downloaded from the Internet even though it’s obviously capable? They want to be a legitimate product on shelves in legitimate stores. Seems that the provider of their emulators failed to secure proper rights to the emulators used in that product and it created a lot of drama. Luckily, Kevtris and Analogue don’t have to worry about that kind of drama and they are actively preventing any drama regarding the ability to play downloaded ROMs.

Edited by CZroe

I'm quite pleased with how the Super NT has turned out, and I look forward to any future developments that new firmware revisions may include.

If I may make one obscure request, and I don't know how viable it is, but I'd like to see some future firmware with the ability to manage the contents of the old Super Famicom Memory carts, used with the Nintendo Power kiosks. I realize that's probably veering into the sort of uses Analogue can't officially condone, but I think it'd be neat to be able to dump and rewrite the contents of those old, official flash carts.