1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

eeech, guys, I'm jealous of yours conversations about Super Nt and already tired of fighting with UPS/Analogue for my package that got stuck in the warehouse almost a week ago. (aside from the fact that I paid them for DHL Express) (Analogue has been refunded me $5.57. xD [i live in Europe])

This seems "obvious" but, what firmware versions are on each of the controllers, and on the receiver?

Oh man.. I thought I had my controller on the current fw, but that wasn't the case. It's working now thank you!

See if pressing down on the analog stick and select works.

Thanks, that worked. Even prior to the fw update.

Oh man.. I thought I had my controller on the current fw, but that wasn't the case. It's working now thank you!

Sometimes it's the super obvious things. You're just like "surely I updated all of my controllers at the same time last time, right?" but nope, that nice FC30pro was in a bag at the time, and you said "I'll get to it later" and then you never did...

Not that I've ever done that myself, mind you. -_-

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You think the majority who would be interested in a FPGA Genesis would take issue with no 32X support? Like someone else said, people don't seem to take issue with all those other clones that don't support 32X. Granted they are cheap, but still I don't think its far fetched to assume most would be just happy having a high quality Genesis clone that simply plays Genesis games and Master System via cart adapter.

You think the majority who would be interested in a FPGA Genesis would take issue with no 32X support? Like someone else said, people don't seem to take issue with all those other clones that don't support 32X. Granted they are cheap, but still I don't think its far fetched to assume most would be just happy having a high quality Genesis clone that simply plays Genesis games and Master System via cart adapter.

No I don't. I found it cute how you tried to persuade kevtris as if it was even necessary.

I know this is all very hypothetical, but when you say it wouldn't support the 32x, do you mean supporting an actual 32x plugged into a cartridge slot? Would it not be possible to have a virtual 32x core on the same FPGA as the main system? Too much FPGA space? At any rate, I can imagine it'd probably be a hell of a lot of work to emulate both, assuming that could fit on a reasonably priced FPGA.

And as an aside, what type of FM stuff have you made before? It'd be cool to see if you want to show it off sometime on youtube or something like that! :]

Edit: As for epic bitching, it's the internet so it seems like there will always be a few loudmouths to bitch about something no matter what happens. Tune them out!

I think he implemented Master System FM audio expansion via FPGA. I could be wrong.

Edit: Actually, I think it was VRC7 FM audio expansion for NES he did.

Edited by SegaSnatcher

Same reason bongs are not illegal. Its what the consumer does with the device thats illegal.

nes-bong-nintendo-bong-classic-oldschool

Time to ban NES consoles!

Seriously though: it wasn’t illegal for Lik-Sang to sell PSPs, legally purchased in a particular region, in another region where Sony wasn’t selling them. Didn’t stop Sony from suing them into oblivion.

It’s not strictly about legality. It’s about risk, and it’s pretty bone-headed to say that there’s no risk involved.

Remember when Nintendo lost the copyright infringement case against rental companies renting their games but then won by suing them for photocopied manuals? Well, let’s imagine if Nintendo was already annoyed at the NES30 (there’s plenty of evidence that they are) but not enough to do anything drastic... until “stock” Super Nt ROM support became the straw that broke the camel’s back. Let’s take this further and say that Analogue spent MILLIONS fighting them, and won... only to get sued over the NES30 and the Nintendo dev kit middleware used to develop Super Turrican Director’s Cut and Turrican 2. That’s why it’s a risk, regardless of the “only illegal when used for illegal purposes” argument. That argument didn’t help Bung either.

Now you're constructing strawman arguments, how cute. Amazon and Ebay are retailers that are responsible for what sells on their online stores. Individual resellers on their stores are functionally identical to the small businesses that traditionally sold their goods on consignment in brick and mortar retail stores. Seriously, just stop wasting everyone's time. I'm going to stop feeding the troll now.

If you know what a straw man argument is then you know that this is exactly what you were doing. It’s starting to feel like the Twilight Zone or something when you keep repeatedly accusing me of doing exactly what you are doing in the same breath. This must be some kind of mental dodge from me lobbing the same accusation at you.

Deep down, you know that you are wrong. You WANT there to be no risk for Analogue to sell a device that can play copied games, but you know it’s not true. You KNOW you’re wrong. You just don’t like that there is some truth to the idea that ROMs and flashcarts aren’t a legal free-for-all. That’s fine. That’s where you say “I wish Analogue could just sell it with this ability straight from the factory but our laws are a all f__ked-up.” You’re entitled to that opinion, but that’s not what you actually said. You actually said something decidedly and demonstrably wrong and you squirmed and wriggled under the lens of truth while expressing cognitive dissonance without shame.

Regarding straw man arguments:

You just spent multiple posts trying to convince us that small, independent, sellers and individuals with nothing to lose selling on another company’s marketplace is the same as a major retailer selling directly. You completely ignored the risk side of the argument to argue something completely irrelevant. The difference is that Analogue risks their company if they openly sold such things. So would Amazon if they had Everdrives on their site that said “Ships from and sold by Amazon.” Amazon does not risk their company when individuals sell such things as long as they take “appropriate action” when under legal threat.

Some people like the CDi as well.

I just don't want a possible Mega NT costing $300+ because Kevtris felt pressured to include 32X support by adding that Analog to Digital converter and whatever else is needed to make it work.

Well, my CD-i still works and my Sega CD does not. [emoji20]

As long as it could support the 32x even over analogue video so I wouldn't have to own a genesis and a fpga genesis I would buy it.

The pure digital video is such a huge selling point that they’d need some proof that such a feature would be marketable to include. As it is, they left analog output out of the Super Nt to reduce costs and make it more mainstream than the $500 Nt Mini. So far, it’s looking like the right choice so I don’t think they’ll be reversing course without some reason to think it wouldn’t apply to the Genesis. Something tells me that 32X is not nearly as compelling, especially when you can connect it to a $30 Genesis if analog doesn’t bother you. Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

The pure digital video is such a huge selling point that they’d need some proof that such a feature would be marketable to include. As it is, they left analog output out of the Super Nt to reduce costs and make it more mainstream than the $500 Nt Mini. So far, it’s looking like the right choice so I don’t think they’ll be reversing course without some reason to think it wouldn’t apply to the Genesis. Something tells me that 32X is not nearly as compelling, especially when you can connect it to a $30 Genesis if analog doesn’t bother you.

I'm only going to own one Genesis. I hear the dac for the SNT will allow it to support lightguns so I don't see why the dac couldn't work with the Genesis to support the 32x.

Because he feels like there will be tons of backlash if it doesn't offer 32X support, so I wanted to assure him that majority probably won't care.

I don't think so. I truly believe that Kevin does what a) he feels like doing or b) what Analogue pays him to do.

Analogue would know just as good as you and me (and frankly everyone here) that the 32X will not be a factor for the success of an FPGA Genesis system. And regardless what Kevin might feel like working on, I am all for it as his stuff is usually pretty cool.

• Like 1

I don't think so. I truly believe that Kevin does what a) he feels like doing or b) what Analogue pays him to do.

Analogue would know just as good as you and me (and frankly everyone here) that the 32X will not be a factor for the success of an FPGA Genesis system. And regardless what Kevin might feel like working on, I am all for it as his stuff is usually pretty cool.

OK, I thought you had an issue with my feelings towards the 32X since you said yourself you are a fan. So, then you are in agreement with me. A FPGA Genesis without 32X support would still be successful.

• Like 1

I guess that could work, but then it would make it analog only for 32X.

As long as I don't need to own and have set up multiples of the same console in my setup I'm happy. It isn't like the 32x would be any worse off in that setup and for all my Genesis games they would be far better off. It's a win-meh. I'll take it.

It’s because you can’t prove what the primary use is. Even if Nintendo can’t, that didn’t stop them from wrecking retailers offering these kinds of products over 15 years ago.

Because they were loaded with Nintendo copyrighted software.

NES patents are all expired. The system is in the public domain, with only Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks still active.

I think he implemented Master System FM audio expansion via FPGA. I could be wrong.

Edit: Actually, I think it was VRC7 FM audio expansion for NES he did.

Oh yeah. I guess that makes sense. Well that's cool, because I imagine that type of thing would give him a nice little head start on implementing the YM2612 for the genesis.

Oh yeah. I guess that makes sense. Well that's cool, because I imagine that type of thing would give him a nice little head start on implementing the YM2612 for the genesis.

Possibly, but like Kevtris mentioned the Genesis has lots of quirks. Also, there are tons of revisions that sound different either because of the filtering, audio circuitry or in the case of some models a different variant of the YM2612 chip called the YM3438. The problem with the YM3438 even with proper filtering and circuity is its "improved" DAC. The YM2612 had a flaw in its DAC that developers took advantage of. You can hear it in After Burner ll. When you play the same music using the YM3438 the DAC noise is barely audible.

Because they were loaded with Nintendo copyrighted software.

They weren’t though. I am the original owner of a two Bung Doctor V64 units (256mbit), a GB Xchanger with Doctor GB Card, two V64jr512 units, and much more. I also got a used Multi Xchanger (Multi Game Doctor³ series). Not a single one came with any illegal software (just Bung’s transfer utilities and BIOS).

The “primary purpose” reasoning Nintendo used with the courts was public and exactly what I stated. That’s how they won an injunction and got US Customs to seize all known shipments of Bung products.

When I got in trouble with eBay for attempting to sell an E64-branded V64jr512 it was still sealed in the original packaging so it wasn’t “loaded” either. It got flagged for having “V64” in the title/description back when Nintendo was actively policing it. My Tales of Phantasia was flagged for having “ROM” in the description even though I repeatedly clarified that it was a technical description and had nothing to do with a ROM dump, legal or otherwise. Of course, neither would get pulled for that today since enforcement is more lax, but the point is that selling these devices in the USA can be problematic and a larger company risks a lawsuit.

They were sold then like Everdrives are sold today: Completely empty. Heck, you might say they were even more legit. Their Hong Kong factory was ISO-9001 certified! Everdrives are more like, a hobbyist’s passion project/labor of love.

NES patents are all expired. The system is in the public domain, with only Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks still active.

Right. This is why clones are allowed and even cross-shaped D-pads. The design is still theirs as is the trademark and the copyrights to their own software. Edited by CZroe