1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Got to go with Snatcher1996 on this one. I'd love a new Genesis/32X/CD hybrid machine. I wouldn't mind an emulation based console as long as the emulation weren't bug ridden and that the components are high quality. I may be in the minority here and I understand the complexity of the life support console, but I'm in the all or nothing camp. There are quite a few games that people would miss out on that are worth playing. Popful Mail and Snatcher come to mind. It would be a shame to have a new console that wouldn't be at least compatible with the 32X and/or Sega CD.

If we could have an all in one FPGA system with a CD drive, that would be great. However, it looks like Analogue has its sights set on making more affordable hardware and I imagine the guys over at the company aren't too keen on introducing another $500 boutique console.

What would be really interesting for Analogue to do would be to make a high quality upscaler. If the proposed DTA converter works out and will likely downscale well, who's to say that an upscaler can't be done? If Analogue could produce an upscaler for around $150 to $200 there would be a market for it. An Analogue upscaler would offer the option of original hardware as well as Analogue's new line of clone consoles. Does anyone think that's reasonable?

Edited by TheCardiganKing

I’ve *personally* had my eBay account suspended for trying to sell a Bung product around 2003. It happened again when I mentioned the particularly large “mask ROM” when selling my copy of Tales of Phantasia around 2005. That’s right: Because I said “ROM.”

I worked for eBay around that era in that department, so this comes from a position of authority on the manner.

Basically, taking the context of what is being sold today

- The Super NT or NT Mini where any statement indicating that games can be played off the SD card, would be taken down

- The NES Mini Classic or SNES Mini Classic would be taken down if it lists anything but the stock games in the listing, or is listed as "modified" or "hacked"

- Any RPi device that includes copyrighted games by name would be taken down. The would not be taken down if MAME is not mentioned. (MAME takes down listings for trademark)

- All Repros mentioned to be repros.

- All "modded", "mod", "modchip" listings are removed, as well as anything mentioning "ROM", or ability to play recordable media (such as cd-r, dvd-r, and sd cards)

- Any "copier" would be taken down (And as such the M3 and R4 devices were immediate takedown + suspension), which also includes devices like the Everdrive and SD2SNES. These devices were released after eBay closed the location I worked at, so I couldn't tell you if they hit the keyword filters

- Any "service" to modify a console or install any firmware on a device that can play copied games

What won't get you in trouble:

- Selling a device in it's stock (New in Box) form

- The Super NT or NT Mini without any ability to play games off the SD card, and without any mention in the listing about jailbreak firmware, would pass. Opened or not

- Selling the SNES mini classic or NES mini classic unopened, or opened but no mention of anything being done to it,

- Selling new labels or cartridge shells, despite the fact they will get used for Repro's (Note that this rule is unrelated to "selling empty boxes", which will be taken down)

- Selling any broken console for parts

eBay does change the internal rules frequently, usually when a new console is released, or as mistakes are made. Case in point, there was one version of the Xbox 360 chipset which was a chipset not known for RROD's, but they kept getting flagged incorrectly. There was one exception made, and that was for the PSP custom firmware, where people could sell the modified console as long as there was no mention of what the custom firmware did. The Pandora battery was always taken down however.

So the precendent internally would be that you could sell the Super NT with "custom firmware" as long as you nobody ever mentions what it does. As soon as someone lists a Super NT that can play roms, that genie is out of the bag and all Super NT's get taken down.

Which is the problem with selling things on eBay in general, it's better to omit critical information from the text description AND photo if it may call into question the legitimacy or legality of the product. It only takes ONE TIME to get your account flagged as someone who engages in piracy, and that will make all listings you sell scrutinized more than sellers who have never had an infringement take down. It's a "leopards don't change their spots" kind of rule. This rule is also the corner-stone of taking down counterfeit junk from chinese drop-shippers.

There are plenty of sites out there you can order potentially illegal things from online, but Nintendo or any other rights owners can only go after them one at a time. That's why some sites will not sell to certain countries or states, because if they do, the items will get seized at customs.

Edited by Kismet
  • Like 1

I worked for eBay around that era in that department, so this comes from a position of authority on the manner.

- The Super NT or NT Mini where any statement indicating that games can be played off the SD card, would be taken down

I find it surprising that these types of auctions are allowed to exist:

https://goo.gl/VJZfrd

Edited by cacophony

- The NES Mini Classic or SNES Mini Classic would be taken down if it lists anything but the stock games in the listing, or is listed as "modified" or "hacked"

- Any RPi device that includes copyrighted games by name would be taken down. The would not be taken down if MAME is not mentioned. (MAME takes down listings for trademark)

- All Repros mentioned to be repros.

- All "modded", "mod", "modchip" listings are removed, as well as anything mentioning "ROM", or ability to play recordable media (such as cd-r, dvd-r, and sd cards)

- Any "copier" would be taken down (And as such the M3 and R4 devices were immediate takedown + suspension), which also includes devices like the Everdrive and SD2SNES. These devices were released after eBay closed the location I worked at, so I couldn't tell you if they hit the keyword filters

- Any "service" to modify a console or install any firmware on a device that can play copied games

What won't get you in trouble:

- Selling a device in it's stock (New in Box) form

- The Super NT or NT Mini without any ability to play games off the SD card, and without any mention in the listing about jailbreak firmware, would pass. Opened or not

- Selling the SNES mini classic or NES mini classic unopened, or opened but no mention of anything being done to it,

- Selling new labels or cartridge shells, despite the fact they will get used for Repro's (Note that this rule is unrelated to "selling empty boxes", which will be taken down)

- Selling any broken console for parts

eBay does change the internal rules frequently, usually when a new console is released, or as mistakes are made. Case in point, there was one version of the Xbox 360 chipset which was a chipset not known for RROD's, but they kept getting flagged incorrectly. There was one exception made, and that was for the PSP custom firmware, where people could sell the modified console as long as there was no mention of what the custom firmware did. The Pandora battery was always taken down however.

So the precendent internally would be that you could sell the Super NT with "custom firmware" as long as you nobody ever mentions what it does. As soon as someone lists a Super NT that can play roms, that genie is out of the bag and all Super NT's get taken down.

Which is the problem with selling things on eBay in general, it's better to omit critical information from the text description AND photo if it may call into question the legitimacy or legality of the product. It only takes ONE TIME to get your account flagged as someone who engages in piracy, and that will make all listings you sell scrutinized more than sellers who have never had an infringement take down. It's a "leopards don't change their spots" kind of rule. This rule is also the corner-stone of taking down counterfeit junk from chinese drop-shippers.

There are plenty of sites out there you can order potentially illegal things from online, but Nintendo or any other rights owners can only go after them one at a time. That's why some sites will not sell to certain countries or states, because if they do, the items will get seized at customs.

Thanks for the insight! In my case it was purely started from the V64 even though they do seem to let me use the word “ROM” today. I even sold an Everdrive last year and my brother sold an Analog Nt Mini on our account just the other day and even got away with mentioning “Jailbreak:”

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132504460944

I guess I’m off the naughty list. [emoji4] Maybe it’s because he dismissed the notion that it was even a “jailbreak” since the meaning of the term implies that your are breaking out of an engineered restriction where this came from the original engineer. It could also be that his example of playing games without the original cartridge specifically references homebrew.

Funny that I was ever on that list, considering how I feel about others who sell illegitimate ROMs.

Edited by CZroe

I've been following this thread for over a year now I think. Just finally registered as I had some things to contribute.

The Super NT seems to be identifying itself as a "video" source to screens and processors, or not identifying at all. Either way, I'm seeing the video level being automatically set as "video", which means a 16-235 range, resulting in anything output by the Super NT less than 16 or greater than 235 being clipped. I think this is the primary reason the Super NT is looking "darker" than OG hardware to many people; the blacks are being crushed. I use an iScan Duo processor, which makes it really simple for me to toggle to "computer" video level, which is full range 0-255, which solves the issue, but it would be better if the Super NT identified itself as a "computer" video source, so smart displays would default to this setting. Boosting the gamma helps a bit with the dark shades even in 16-235 level mode, as it brings up the level of those darker shades, but isn't really solving the root of the problem.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that although the SNES did not use pallets, the color rendition is still open to interpretation. RGB values themselves do not actually specify particular colors, because the Red Green and Blue themselves have definitions, they are not exact colors, and there are also of course different possible gamma curves and black/white point levels. The definition of these variables is something called a "color space". Normally nowadays when no color space is overtly defined, it's generally ok to treat it as an sRGB color space, which is sort of the default for everything now. But who knows what sort of color space the screens the developers used were calibrated to. The SNES games do not and can not output any data indicating what color space a display should use to interpret the RGB signal, so there's plenty of room for re-interpretation there.

Personally, I've been replaying Super Mario World, and feel like it looks best interpreted in a color space called "Apple 1998" on my iScan. The greens are so much richer, and the red isn't so muted. It's much better than just boosting the saturation. I know that can't be quite right, as the game and system predate that particular color space's inception, but perhaps the developers used Apple PCs or screens which had a similar color space?

Anyways, just some things I wanted to point out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight! In my case it was purely started from the V64 even though they do seem to let me use the word “ROM” today. I even sold an Everdrive last year and my brother sold an Analog Nt Mini on our account just the other day and even got away with mentioning “Jailbreak:”

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132504460944

I guess I’m off the naughty list. [emoji4] Maybe it’s because he dismissed the notion that it was even a “jailbreak” since the meaning of the term implies that your are breaking out of an engineered restriction where this came from the original engineer. It could also be that his example of playing games without the original cartridge specifically references homebrew.

Funny that I was ever on that list, considering how I feel about others who sell illegitimate ROMs.

I wouldn't risk selling anything with the word Nintendo in it pretty much. The thing with the SD2SNES is that it has "SNES" in the name, so that's enough to get on Nintendo's radar. The Everdrive on the other hand likely flies under Nintendo's radar unless "NES" or "Nintendo" or "Famicom" are also in the title.

Nintendo itself however also files VERY VERY Large VeRO lists, sometimes for listings that are 5 months old. So just because someone thought they got away with it, doesn't mean they did.

If I was still working at eBay I would have been compelled to remove the listing for mentioning anything about the jailbreak firmware, and "you don't need a cartridge", but keep in mind that eBay staff are not personally invested in removing listings, so whoever reviews it might not know anything about firmware, where as the next person might be someone like myself who actually knows the intricacies of what they mean. I used to intentionally search for piracy listings because it would improve my metrics and it was low-hanging fruit compared to the counterfeit bags.

Edited by Kismet

They won't for long, I assure you that for every one listing you can see on the site, there was probably another 50 that was taken down before 5pm.

Here's the thing... I reported one of those auctions as well as auctions for complete mp3 collections for particular musicians, and eBay didn't do anything, even weeks later. From what I can tell they don't care about this kind of stuff.

Take a look at this seller's auctions and let me know if anything gets taken down: https://www.ebay.com/sch/themonsterometer/m.html?item=273066477429&hash=item3f9407c775%3Ag%3AgHcAAOSw-olaEkt5&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Edited by cacophony

Here's the thing... I reported one of those auctions as well as auctions for complete mp3 collections for particular musicians, and eBay didn't do anything, even weeks later. From what I can tell they don't care about this kind of stuff.

Take a look at this seller's auctions and let me know if anything gets taken down: https://www.ebay.com/sch/themonsterometer/m.html?item=273066477429&hash=item3f9407c775%3Ag%3AgHcAAOSw-olaEkt5&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Don't take it personally.

There will always be things to take down on eBay, when I worked there, I could easily spend a full shift just taking down LVMH counterfeits and never get to the pirated games. Part of this is that the only thing that is high-priority for eBay is VeRO take downs, so reporting the auction piracy stuff to the copyright owner is also another way of going about it.

Also listings that are removed for infringement disappear and aren't visible to the public anymore.

Edited by Kismet

I've been following this thread for over a year now I think. Just finally registered as I had some things to contribute.

The Super NT seems to be identifying itself as a "video" source to screens and processors, or not identifying at all. Either way, I'm seeing the video level being automatically set as "video", which means a 16-235 range, resulting in anything output by the Super NT less than 16 or greater than 235 being clipped. I think this is the primary reason the Super NT is looking "darker" than OG hardware to many people; the blacks are being crushed. I use an iScan Duo processor, which makes it really simple for me to toggle to "computer" video level, which is full range 0-255, which solves the issue, but it would be better if the Super NT identified itself as a "computer" video source, so smart displays would default to this setting. Boosting the gamma helps a bit with the dark shades even in 16-235 level mode, as it brings up the level of those darker shades, but isn't really solving the root of the problem.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that although the SNES did not use pallets, the color rendition is still open to interpretation. RGB values themselves do not actually specify particular colors, because the Red Green and Blue themselves have definitions, they are not exact colors, and there are also of course different possible gamma curves and black/white point levels. The definition of these variables is something called a "color space". Normally nowadays when no color space is overtly defined, it's generally ok to treat it as an sRGB color space, which is sort of the default for everything now. But who knows what sort of color space the screens the developers used were calibrated to. The SNES games do not and can not output any data indicating what color space a display should use to interpret the RGB signal, so there's plenty of room for re-interpretation there.

Personally, I've been replaying Super Mario World, and feel like it looks best interpreted in a color space called "Apple 1998" on my iScan. The greens are so much richer, and the red isn't so muted. It's much better than just boosting the saturation. I know that can't be quite right, as the game and system predate that particular color space's inception, but perhaps the developers used Apple PCs or screens which had a similar color space?

Anyways, just some things I wanted to point out.

yeah you are right. I think I have it figured out how to make it report properly so it displays as full range. I have this on the list of fixes to add for the next release so hopefully that will fix the problem for people. Funny how we still can't shake the CRT stigma on HDMI with overscan, interlace, and limited range (to account for synch pulses and such AFAIR). The fix will be to report as "computer" which should clear up the range issues.

I am going to add separate rgb gamma sliders so that should quell all the other issues people had with the brightness stuff, and recalculate how the levels are generated. Maybe in the future I will do some testing on various model SNES to get actual voltage levels to see how linear the DACs are (there's four DACs - the three RGB ones and the overall brightness DAC)

• Like 13

Got to go with Snatcher1996 on this one. I'd love a new Genesis/32X/CD hybrid machine. I wouldn't mind an emulation based console as long as the emulation weren't bug ridden and that the components are high quality. I may be in the minority here and I understand the complexity of the life support console, but I'm in the all or nothing camp. There are quite a few games that people would miss out on that are worth playing. Popful Mail and Snatcher come to mind. It would be a shame to have a new console that wouldn't be at least compatible with the 32X and/or Sega CD.

If we could have an all in one FPGA system with a CD drive, that would be great. However, it looks like Analogue has its sights set on making more affordable hardware and I imagine the guys over at the company aren't too keen on introducing another $500 boutique console.

What would be really interesting for Analogue to do would be to make a high quality upscaler. If the proposed DTA converter works out and will likely downscale well, who's to say that an upscaler can't be done? If Analogue could produce an upscaler for around $150 to $200 there would be a market for it. An Analogue upscaler would offer the option of original hardware as well as Analogue's new line of clone consoles. Does anyone think that's reasonable?

Same here. I think an FPGA Genesis without Sega CD or 32X support would be successful, but I suspect there's a sizeable chunk of Genesis fans that would pass on it if it didn't support either of the add-ons.

Dunno, the 68K is probably the worst part. Other than that, I don't think it's as complex as the SNES was but I am sure it has lots of quirks and weird things too. I have done FM before and video so I don't think it will be too terrible or out of that out of the ordinary. The worse part is people wouldn't like if it didn't run sega CD or the 32x, which it most likely wouldn't do. It'd be stock genesis only. That's not to say it wouldn't have expansion for the cd, but it definitely would never support the 32X because it'd need to output analog RGB, then re-capture analog RGB from the 32x for its video overlay. So I suspect the bitching would be epic if I didn't support those things. I could be wrong and it has happened before :-)

Count me in for a Genesis FPGA console with an expansion port that's compatible with a real Sega CD. And who knows, the SSDS3 has me wondering if we might see a Sega CD FPGA/ODE someday. There seems to be support for the idea and they'd make quite the pair.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the Nt Mini and Super Nt and can't wait to see what your next project is.

Dunno, the 68K is probably the worst part. Other than that, I don't think it's as complex as the SNES was but I am sure it has lots of quirks and weird things too. I have done FM before and video so I don't think it will be too terrible or out of that out of the ordinary. The worse part is people wouldn't like if it didn't run sega CD or the 32x, which it most likely wouldn't do. It'd be stock genesis only. That's not to say it wouldn't have expansion for the cd, but it definitely would never support the 32X because it'd need to output analog RGB, then re-capture analog RGB from the 32x for its video overlay. So I suspect the bitching would be epic if I didn't support those things. I could be wrong and it has happened before :-)

I was never much of a Sega person, but I understand the appeal of those devices, or at least trying to support games that use them.

For the most part I think it's possible to support those inside the FPGA system, but as I stated pages ago, the resources required to support the actual external devices would be insane, and it we would all be better off if trying to support those external devices is not done. Either a Mega NT supports the 32X carts or it doesn't. Trying to make it support the actual 32X defeats the purpose of trying to having a HDMI console. Where as the master system/sg3000/gamegear carts/cards was originally done via pin adapters in the first place, so you can actually improve upon that by not needing the power base converter. The SegaCD I think, in theory you could have the segaCD expansion slot available, but wouldn't be able to use an actual SegaCD on it without making the MegaNT the exact same size as a Genesis model 1 or model 2, thus people will get mad that their version of the SegaCD unit doesn't work. Adding to that, all the subtle differences between US/JP and EU markets.

Then there is the MegaLD as well (Yes LaserDisc), and the Mega Karaoke...

You can't please everyone here. So to that end, I'd suggest leaving some kind of two-way expansion pony connector that can't use a real SegaCD unit, but leaves open the possibility of a FPGA 32X/CD should someone convince SEGA to licence their stuff.

What is the known list of outstanding compatibility/accuracy issues? Keeping a public list will help drive home how obscure any remaining issues are. The least obscure that I know of is the Super Powerpak. I bought a Super Powerpak years before the Everdrive or sd2snes were released. Nowadays, my Super Powerpak is in storage as a collectors item, since it is no longer manufactured, and the sd2snes is superior due to better game compatibility and faster loading times.

I think the list of unconfirmed/non-working peripherals and games with issues/not working here is as comprehensive as you can expect :

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2018/02/super-nt-review-ideal-fpga-console.html

I had a question regarding Scaling on 720p/1440p displays. The scaler options do not let you go past 720 height in 720p60 mode... and since most games run in 256x224 I can't fill the screen in 720p. I was hoping I could go up to 736 at least in order to fill up the screen from top to bottom. 720 is my preferred resolution even on my 1080p TV since scanlines look much better to my eyes.

I do realize that V Interpolation would have to remain on and the overall image will be softer as a result... but still think it could be a cool option.

Was wondering if this is feasible. Loving the system, thanks Kevtris.

Edit: was able to achieve this on my Sony TV by making HDMI size +1. Still, would be nice to be able to fill out the screen in 720 on displays that don't have a resize option.

Edited by bozo55

Count me in for a Sega Genesis FPGA clone with an expansion port compatible with the Sega-CD only! :)

yeah you are right. I think I have it figured out how to make it report properly so it displays as full range. I have this on the list of fixes to add for the next release so hopefully that will fix the problem for people. Funny how we still can't shake the CRT stigma on HDMI with overscan, interlace, and limited range (to account for synch pulses and such AFAIR). The fix will be to report as "computer" which should clear up the range issues.

I am going to add separate rgb gamma sliders so that should quell all the other issues people had with the brightness stuff, and recalculate how the levels are generated. Maybe in the future I will do some testing on various model SNES to get actual voltage levels to see how linear the DACs are (there's four DACs - the three RGB ones and the overall brightness DAC)

Pardon my ignorance here, but if the Super Nt only outputs a signal in full-range RGB, what happens if my TV only supports limited range?

Hi, I'm new here but I have to just say thanks for looking into this. The colours on my Super NT are definitely off compared to my SFC Jr/OSSC, but it looks like you've pinpointed the issue.

I'm not sure if its been pointed out yet, but there's a few issues with scanlines. I've noticed the following:

1. Scanlines in 1080p mode don't scale along with the image - they stay at 1px height resulting in really thin scanlines that are out of proportion. The OSSC, for example, increases the height of the scanlines along with the image in 1080p to keep them in proportion. Any chance of this being implemented? Because right now, scanlines just don't look right in 1080p (720p is fine though).

2. I don't think the scanline depth slider works properly. It doesn't seem to have any effect - but weirdly, it suddenly does when you add a scaler. This is in 720p mode, top is without scaler, top is with - both at 200 depth:

767e4f3e140507d888d63f6701df32a43ddfb617 1 656x500

a969cc042bbde7e6512a86c96ee5ebf310f5007b 1 659x500

edit: once I get my nikon out later, I can take some comparison shots of the scanlines like-for-like of both the OSSC and SNT in 1080p mode if it helps.

Edited by richisawesome

I think I got misunderstood to some degree.

My stance is not that Kevtris should work on a Genesis core only if he was including 32X and Sega CD with it. I believe that Kevtris should call the shots what he wants to do and when he wants to do it, since this will ensure him being satisfied with his work and the quality of the product overall. If this will mean a complete package of the three mentioned systems, awesome! If not, so be it.

There is no point in persuading him not to work on the 32X, telling him it is a miserable system anyway with only subpar games when a) this is highly subjective (and not true :)) b) he is surely capable of judging for himself and c) his efforts were never geared towards what is best for business when you consider the cores for obscure systems he created. The latter may have changed now that he is working for / partnering with Analogue, but as I said they will know best what to do next if they call the shots and they clearly don't need the input from anyone in this forum.

This being said, I like the idea that Kevtris picks his projects based on his own desires, posts about them to the extent he want to, maybe uploads some great videos on youtube and us the community being bystanders admiring his work and appreciatinig whatever he likes to share with us. That and him making a pretty penny for the awesome stuff he gives us.