1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Yeah, it being a voltage regulator of some kind sounds right since it seems to change when the power consumption changes. I can still hear it when the LED is turned off but it is a a much lower pitch (frequency?). IDK, like I said it is probably not important, and I can't hear it when the console is far away. I could try and figure out what the source is but I'm not really willing to open this thing up and scour the board with some sort of stethoscope.

On the subject of the MSU1: I don't think anybody has mentioned that it was also used as a tool to preserve gaming history by recreating the satellite broadcasts that played during the Satelaview Zelda events. That alone is worth the "chip" existing in my eyes. While it is true that a lot of the MSU1 games have soundtracks that don't really "fit" with the feel of the game the experience that Quertymodo and others gained making those patches helped prepare them to create this: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml

Plus, once a MSU1 patch has been created it is (relatively) easy to drop in any music you want, so if you do find some music that fits with the feel of the game you can update it.

Regarding noise I've made the observation that It's not only LED related. While it changes in pitch when the LED color changes it also changes depending on the game I'm playing. When I play Mario World or Mario All-Stars or just simply staying in the main menu I can hear an annoying high pitched sound (the Super NT is sitting on my desk, 50cm from me). When I play Yoshi's Island I can't hear anything. So it seems it has to do something with the expansion chip in the game? So the noise I'm hearing might be some kind of a "CPU whine". Not sure if it can be fixed, still waiting for an answer from Analogue.

Unfortunately this thread was hijacked by a few people a long time ago and is a hot mess of middle school bickering. I may lurk once in a while, but I'm done following and contributing in this thread. I'll be at the Discord that was posted a page or 2 back. It is focused on the Analogue NT Mini and the Super NT. It has grown quickly, is moderated and the relevant people are there. Later.

Unfortunately this thread was hijacked by a few people a long time ago and is a hot mess of middle school bickering. I may lurk once in a while, but I'm done following and contributing in this thread. I'll be at the Discord that was posted a page or 2 back. It is focused on the Analogue NT Mini and the Super NT. It has grown quickly, is moderated and the relevant people are there. Later.

Yeah if you come here to AA for this particular thread then it's probably the wrong motive. :lol:

I just joined the discord too. I've always preferred IRC as well where I've been hanging for over 2 decades.. but it's still interesting. Web based chat must be a thing now and you can't stop progress I guess. :)

Edited by NE146

How cute, you think you leaving is relevant enough to tell others.

• Like 2

Oem power supplies can go bad sometimes. My old n64 started having an issue where it reset after a few minutes of play. Then the game would reset shortly thereafter in an infinite reboot cycle. I probed the 3.3v supply at the controller port with a multimeter. The psu started around 3.18v cold boot and slowly dropped from there. When it hit below 2.92v, the cpu reset.

I replaced it with another used oem power supply from gamexchange. Tested the console at boot, 3.34v. Let it run for two hours in the banjo kazooie demo. Still 3.34v. Never had issues from that console again, though a year or two I aquired a smoke gray funtastic console through a trade and sold the old n64 back to gamexchange, with the good psu attached. Now that same console has a row of led lights inside and an hdmi upgrade. :grin:

So if your console goes into an endless cycle of reboots, it's probably the regulator in the psu going out. You can check the voltage on the controller port pins with a multimeter while the console is running, use the first and last pin for reference. If it's less than 3.2v, the supply may be going bad.

If you get a non oem power brick, check the voltage on it with a meter before plugging into the system to ensure it's not putting out too much juice. The 3.3v, 12v, and gnd (0v) pins on the supply port are clearly marked. I've had bad experience with a yobo expansion pak crashing the system with unrecoverable memory errors. In Paper Mario it threw a bunch of debug info on the screen. Never had that issue with oem jumper paks or expansion ram.

My N64 doesn't reset but it does keep freezing after a couple minutes of powering on. Is it possible to fix the power supply?

Hey everyone, I'm the Kevin Lee behind the recently created Analogue Community Discord Server.

https://discord.gg/JdZ5SS7

Link should never expire

------------------------------

Before I say anything I'd like to clear a few things up...

1. I am not Kevtris nor does he have anything to do with it (Though we all hope he joins eventually)
  2. I have nothing to do with Analogue
  3. I am not a front for someone important to this community

---------------------

So why create the server?

Simple. One did not exist, and from Google searches hoping to find a more dedicated space to discuss the hardware with other fans of the product it was clear the community was fragmented amongst many forums. Discord being what it is I hope this centralizes the community a bit more than a forum ever could.

Discord is free, and the Windows / Mac / Mobile Apps are not so bad (Avoid the web browser version if at all possible).

Like it or not Discord has pretty much become the go-to standard for online communities when it comes to chatting and / or voice chat.

-------------------

We will keep the community up to date on the latest Analogue news / updates

I know the majority of you are more than capable of looking up when new firmware releases and what not... but we will be putting out server wide notices whenever an update hits either the official firmware or the Jailbreak. SmokeMonster has joined the server and seems more than willing to field questions and give us updates when / if he can.

P.S. I know SmokeMonster is a popular guy because of what he does... but I'd suggest avoiding slamming the guy with mentions and what. No need to overwhelm or scare him off haha

--------------

I know you guys here on AA are a passionate bunch. I know sometimes that causes friction (I'm new here, but I've heard stories...). If you decide to join the Discord server please try to keep it chill, I'm trying my best to leave it as unmoderated as humanly possible and so far with 200+ members it seems to be working out well that way.

---------------

I think that about covers it, I hope to see you guys / gals around in the Discord server if you have an Analogue console or if you're just interested.

Best regards,

Kevin (Not Kevtris) Lee

The invite is invalid or expired.

Whoops! The phrase "I am not Kevtris nor does he have anything to do with this," I assumed the term "this" referred specifically to the jailbreak firmware rather than the discord forum, and that he had some kind of inside info about the linkage or lack thereof between Kevtris and the jailbreak author. So my hypothesis still stands. icon_thumbsup.gif

I just thought he was taking credit for the jailbreak by claiming to be not Kevtris. Isn't Not Kevtris the same person that released the jailbreak? icon_mrgreen.gif

• Like 1

It's Trip World but it's happening to me on pretty much every game in varying degrees.

The visual glitching is also quite obvious on Pokemon Gold's title screen

https://streamable.com/tecmm

I don't seem to be getting that glitch on the US version of Pokemon Gold, at least not on the title screen I haven't played much beyond that. Is it consistent?

edit: This is using the US Super Gameboy

Edited by Thomas83Lin

I don't seem to be getting that glitch on the US version of Pokemon Gold, at least not on the title screen I haven't played much beyond that. Is it consistent?

edit: This is using the US Super Gameboy

I'm using a PAL Super Gameboy.

It's not exactly consistent as you might be able to tell from the video of Trip World i posted a page or two earlier. It glitches more or less depending on where in the game you are.

I already cleaned everything with Isopropanol and tried downgrading to 3.9 but it's still happening. Tried it on two other real SNES consoles (Both NTSC and PAL) and they do not show this behaviour.

Edited by infinest

The problem with the Discord chat is that the signal to noise ratio is terrible. If you're just looking to hang out and chat then it's fine. But if you're looking for new info or more technical discussions this thread is a much better destination.

Hopefully people will crosspost the important things mentioned to this thread. Minor protip you can enter "from:kevtris" into the search box at the top right of Discord to only see messages from Kevtris across the entire server.

wuCPMJ4.png

• Like 2

Hopefully people will crosspost the important things mentioned to this thread. Minor protip you can enter "from:kevtris" into the search box at the top right of Discord to only see messages from Kevtris across the entire server.

wuCPMJ4.png

Thanks for the search tip, that helps!

My New Starfox 2 uses an original Super FX2 PCB with OEM 5v parts. It doesn't even look like a repro board at all but a genuine game PCB. I can barely even tell the solder work where they added in the new ROM chip. You pay for quality though. It's the Aliexpress junk you have to worry about.

Interesting.

The main carts I'm interested in getting from them are the Satellaview games; BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets and the BS Mario.

Do you (or anybody else) know the difference between Ancient Stone Tablets and Ancient Stone Tablets: Master Quest? Is Master Quest a hack? Or was it also an official release on Satellaview?

I ordered 2 carts from them last weekend and they showed up today.

attachicon.gifIMG_0089.png

The physical/label quality of them is very nice. Thus far the games on them have been functioning as expected on the Super NT, including saving.

I opened them up to see what the boards looks like, both have the same board. I don't have enough knowledge of electronics to answer your voltage question, but here are scans of the board.

attachicon.gifUntitled2.png

attachicon.gifUntitled1.png

Perhaps someone can use these to provide you an answer.

Thank you for posting this. That does look really good and I would love to order from them.

Can anybody on here tell if these carts are running proper voltage?

My N64 doesn't reset but it does keep freezing after a couple minutes of powering on. Is it possible to fix the power supply?

It's likely the capacitors. They can be replaced. It could be the capacitors in the N64 itself too. Look for a channel on youtube called "gametech", he has some videos on replacing both.

• Like 1