1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's so close to perfect now that I think I'd happily keep the 3 or 4 bugs left to be squashed in return for multiple entire classic gaming libraries being opened up on my Super NT, if it was my choice.

But I respect and appreciate the drive to get it perfect.

• Like 1

I can't imagine the NES core being included if there is a core store for the Super NT unless there is a cost involved. That being said the cores are great but some do have issues such as Gameboy. They are damn good to have though especially since they were free!

I'd call that an understatement!

The Gameboy is the only incomplete one of all the cores AFAIK, but many think it's still the best way to play Gameboy on a modern display all things considered (amount of lag, audio quality, scaling options, etc)

Edited by cacophony

I'd call that an understatement!

The Gameboy is the only incomplete one of all the cores AFAIK, but many think it's still the best way to play Gameboy on a modern display all things considered (amount of lag, audio quality, scaling options, etc)

I'm quite willing to believe the GB/GBC cores have a few bugs left in them, but I wouldn't call them "incomplete".

I'm quite willing to believe the GB/GBC cores have a few bugs left in them, but I wouldn't call them "incomplete".

To be clear, this was I was referring to as the understatement: "They are damn good to have though especially since they were free!"

I only meant incomplete in the sense that Kevtris has expressed that he still has some more work to do.

I’m not stupid. I chose to address my message to Smokemonster because I felt it more appropriate to have people read between the lines. Anyways I’m not going to let myself get negative. There’s been too many menial arguments in this thread already.

And somehow you thought Smokemonster would be privy to this knowledge? lol Even if he knows what's going to happen, he's not going to tell you or any one here.

If you want to take a guess, try looking at it from the angle of how many bugfixes are done to the Super NT. The more bugfixes that are completed without any extra effects, the higher the chance of newer cores being added in the (near) future.

Edited by Sho
  • Like 2

I can't imagine the NES core being included if there is a core store for the Super NT unless there is a cost involved. That being said the cores are great but some do have issues such as Gameboy. They are damn good to have though especially since they were free!

With the recent post from Analogue putting the Nt Mini on hiatus, you might want to think the opposite.

No one has an idea of if the Nt Mini will come back, if ever now. However, would it matter much if the Super NT got a NES core? The Nt Mini has more or less become a collector's item now, though it had some minor problems with the build quality (connectors, etc). However in most cases, people with an Nt Mini in use more or less stopped playing with their carts as soon as the jailbreak was released.

Also the Nt Mini cores do have issues, but I'm pretty sure once the fixes & updates with the Super NT are settled Kevtris will go back and start to fix those core issues as well, alongside the anticipated addition of the Intellivision core.

Edited by Sho
  • Like 1

And somehow you thought Smokemonster would be privy to this knowledge? lol Even if he knows what's going to happen, he's not going to tell you or any one here.

If you want to take a guess, try looking at it from the angle of how many bugfixes are done to the Super NT. The more bugfixes that are completed without any extra effects, the higher the chance of newer cores being added in the (near) future.

The idea was to ask nicely if the jailbreak coder (not smokemonster) would attempt to get the core store on the Super NT. I also wanted to thank the jailbreak coder for their hard work and dedication. I admit that I thought Smoke was claiming to be the jailbreaker instead of the host/PR man for his mysterious benefactor (I had to read a readme file on github to see that he is only assuming responsibilty for being the distributor).

Anyways, I thought maybe given the motivation the jailbreak coder would think I am going to release the core store in a couple weeks - maybe nows a good time as any to let everyone know that big news is on the way. You know, wishful thinking for all the people waiting in anticipation. No reason to poke fun of these people unless you are just a negative person or a troll. With all the negativity in this thread Im thinking more than ever that no one deserves the core store.

Edited by Thrakk

The idea was to ask nicely if the jailbreak coder (not smokemonster) would attempt to get the core store on the Super NT. I also wanted to thank the jailbreak coder for their hard work and dedication. I admit that I thought Smoke was claiming to be the jailbreaker instead of the host/PR man for his mysterious benefactor (I had to read a readme file on github to see that he is only claiming to be the distributor).

Anyways, I thought maybe given the motivation the jailbreak coder would think “I am going to release the core store in a couple weeks - maybe now’s a good time as any to let everyone know that big news is on the way”. You know, wishful thinking for all the people waiting in anticipation. No reason to poke fun of these people unless you are just a negative person or a troll. With all the negativity in this thread I’m thinking more than ever that no one deserves the core store.

Aha, I see. Smoke was pretty quick to state that neither he nor frederic-mahe is the mysterious coder (a few days after dropping the first JB), and we have no reason not to believe him. Regardless of this, I'm sure said coder reads this forum and understands your sentiments towards his good work.

With that said, the mysterious coder doesn't need any "motivation" at all from anyone in this thread or anywhere else -- they will release what they want regardless. Just like the initial JB, just like the recent JB that included the CopySNES function and fixed the majority of the previous two JB SRAM/save issues that people have been painstakingly documenting on Github for Smokemonster.

If anything, it sounds like you (and others) may want to instead exercise a little patience and be excited for what may come instead. Also, as a person who hasn't yet purchased the Super NT yourself, do you think yourself more deserving than others of a Core Store? Some of us didn't exactly purchase the Super NT with hopes of a Core Store dropping. Others who have purchased with hopes of it has instead been actively helping out by catching bugs so things can move along on both the official and jailbreak firmwares. While a good deal of people are tying themselves in knots over it possibly dropping in a future update, not everyone is creating drama about it and instead are productively helping out so that the Super NT can be as accurate as possible.

• Like 2

We've been talking about this for months. Best bet is to simply expect SuperNT will only play SNES games and call it a day. That way you can never be disappointed (but still have the door open to be pleasantly surprised). Win win :)

I agree 100% with this. Even at the SNT's current (initial) state I purchased it mainly to play my SNES carts and replace my modded SNES Jr. The fact that has all happened (and more) has far surpassed my own expectations. :)

Edited by Sho
  • Like 1

Aha, I see. Smoke was pretty quick to state that neither he nor frederic-mahe is the mysterious coder (a few days after dropping the first JB), and we have no reason not to believe him. Regardless of this, I'm sure said coder reads this forum and understands your sentiments towards his good work.

With that said, the mysterious coder doesn't need any "motivation" at all from anyone in this thread or anywhere else -- they will release what they want regardless. Just like the initial JB, just like the recent JB that included the CopySNES function and fixed the majority of the previous two JB SRAM/save issues that people have been painstakingly documenting on Github for Smokemonster.

If anything, it sounds like you (and others) may want to instead exercise a little patience and be excited for what may come instead. Also, as a person who hasn't yet purchased the Super NT yourself, do you think yourself more deserving than others of a Core Store? Some of us didn't exactly purchase the Super NT with hopes of a Core Store dropping. Others who have purchased with hopes of it has instead been actively helping out by catching bugs so things can move along on both the official and jailbreak firmwares. While a good deal of people are tying themselves in knots over it possibly dropping in a future update, not everyone is creating drama about it and instead are productively helping out so that the Super NT can be as accurate as possible.

Drama starts when people engage others for little to no reason whatsoever. Then people often tell others what to do. Or mischaracterize others. Or assume things. Or claim to know things.

In your posts, for instance, you engage me for little to no reason whatsoever. Tell me to maybe excercise patience. (There was a post a page back where someone tells others to stop asking for the core store - which happens like once every 5 pages - politely) You assume the coder doesnt need motivation from peers. While that may be true most people like motivation and praise for their work. You also go off about something or nother after asking If I think myself more deserving of a core store when I cleary said no one deserves the core store.

Also I would imagine that the people who desire the core store would also like the SNES to be as accurate as possible.

I deserve the CoreStore ..... I demand a CoreStore, nobody can say that nobody deserves the CoreStore, that would be preposterous, because I know I deserve it :D :D :D :D :D :D

On other notes I believe the Firmware Fairy® would eventually support in the JB fw a subset of the various special chips barring SA-1 and SuperFX because the SuperNt memory may not be fast enough as reported by kevtris himself earlier when asked about his thoughts on those topics but maybe the Firmware Fairy® has some aces up his sleeve and can pull off the SuperFX ... who knows .... we'll see.

• Like 1

Drama starts when people engage others for little to no reason whatsoever. Then people often tell others what to do. Or mischaracterize others. Or assume things. Or claim to know things.

In your posts, for instance, you engage me for little to no reason whatsoever. Tell me to maybe excercise patience. (There was a post a page back where someone tells others to stop asking for the core store - which happens like once every 5 pages - politely) You assume the coder doesnt need motivation from peers. While that may be true most people like motivation and praise for their work. You also go off about something or nother after asking If I think myself more deserving of a core store when I cleary said no one deserves the core store.

Also I would imagine that the people who desire the core store would also like the SNES to be as accurate as possible.

There is almost always a reason why people engage others on an open forum. Be it for discussion or to argue someone else's viewpoint on the topic at hand, or to start drama. However, not everyone who responds to you is out to attack you on your posts. I also apologize if it comes off as such.

You got exceptionally defensive towards cacophony when he correctly told you that Smokemonster has no control over what gets released with jailbreak patches, then proceeded to assume that people should "read between the lines" in your statement before claiming that there is a lot of negativity in the very thread. That comes off as passive aggressive and feeds into the same negativity.

And yeah, people might not deserve the Core Store at all. Especially those who have been displaying a large sense of entitlement without fully respecting the time and labor behind writing and porting these cores, real or hypothetical.

• Like 1

I thought Smokemonster was claiming to be the JB coder and if thats how the real coder wanted to do it I was cool with that. So when I was told that Smoke isnt the JB coder I was like (no duh) Im not stupid. Sorry cacophony.

I do stand by there being a lot of negativity in this thread though. Back when I was reading page after page I couldnt help notice all the drama that slowly kept escalating (not just involving the one suspended user). It was kinda amazing in a terrible way but it draggggged. Anyways I think were done talking about this too.

The idea was to ask nicely if the jailbreak coder (not smokemonster) would attempt to get the core store on the Super NT. I also wanted to thank the jailbreak coder for their hard work and dedication. I admit that I thought Smoke was claiming to be the jailbreaker instead of the host/PR man for his mysterious benefactor (I had to read a readme file on github to see that he is only assuming responsibilty for being the distributor).

Anyways, I thought maybe given the motivation the jailbreak coder would think I am going to release the core store in a couple weeks - maybe nows a good time as any to let everyone know that big news is on the way. You know, wishful thinking for all the people waiting in anticipation. No reason to poke fun of these people unless you are just a negative person or a troll. With all the negativity in this thread Im thinking more than ever that no one deserves the core store.

I think the jailbreaker is busy perfecting the SNES core for the Super NT right now. ;)

• Like 1

New firmware for the Super NT should be posted today fairly soon. The following changes have been made:

Fixed Unholy Night crash/graphics issue.

Fixed the -1 fix again to remove vertical zebra stripes.

Fixed high-res colour math issues so Marvelous: Another Treasure Island works now without graphic glitches.

Fixed Chrono Trigger crashing on entering save menu.

Fixed Rendering Ranger R2 / Targa.

Fixed Flashbacks audio buzz when entering inventory.

Fixed Arabian Nights audio feedback issue.

Changed wording of the checkbox in the cheat codes. It now says enable checked codes to reduce confusion.

Changed tools menu to cheat codes.

Added a disable hotkeys feature under hot keys. This lets you disable all hotkeys and controller auto polling until power is cycled.

Fixed menu bounce setting so it shows up again.

Fixed Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose audio crash

Fixed Batman Returns audio crash

Added debugger under hardware menu (probably not the most useful for most people but I use it a lot so someone developing a game might find it useful).

This rounds out most of the problems people had that I know of. Top Gear 3000 still has an issue as does Front Mission (jumping text) but that should be fixed by the TG3K fix. I will fix these on the next release.

Awesome that you have almost every game working correctly now. Since most of the bugs are almost worked out is there any chance that you could add support for 128kb of vram? The snes only had 64kb of vram but the ppu in the 5a22 (original 2 chip systems) did support the extra vram but Nintendo only used 64kb ram chips for the vram. Higan the most accurate snes software emulator created by byuu supports this feature and I think the Super NT should also support it. This feature alone could possibly help increase future sells of the Super NT and it could possibly help kickstart the development of new games for the Snes. New games can be created to use this new feature and current games can be easily modified to use this new feature as well. I am a hobbyist computer programmer and I have already made a snes game support the full 128kb of vram and I am working on 2 different level editors (mmx1 and the 7th saga) to also support this feature. I also have all 5 of the original snes systems modded to use the extra vram and as far as I can find a online I am the only person online to have actually modified the snes for this. It has been thought that the snes could support the extra vram but no one has done it to actual hardware until now. Here are some pics of real hardware modified for the extra vram:

YOGo8NS.jpg

20bIDz1.jpg

orISmwT.jpg

nq22tYQ.jpg

nq22tYQ.jpg

I have also modified a snes debugger nSide created by hex_usr (built from higan and leviathan source code that are both created by byuu) to support the extra vram for debugging.

If this feature is something that you might consider adding to the Super NT I will be willing to ship you one of these modified snes consoles for free for testing out the 128kb of vram feature. I really hope this is something that you would consider adding.

To all:

How do I edit links on this forum to show pictures for everyone to see instead of posting links?

Edited by (J)

Awesome that you have almost every game working correctly now. Since most of the bugs are almost worked out is there any chance that you could add support for 128kb of vram? The snes only had 64kb of vram but the ppu in the 5a22 (original 2 chip systems) did support the extra vram but Nintendo only used 64kb ram chips for the vram. Higan the most accurate snes software emulator created by byuu supports this feature and I think the Super NT should also support it. This feature alone could possibly help increase future sells of the Super NT and it could possibly help kickstart the development of new games for the Snes. New games can be created to use this new feature and current games can be easily modified to use this new feature as well. I am a hobbyist computer programmer and I have already made a snes game support the full 128kb of vram and I am working on 2 different level editors (mmx1 and the 7th saga) to also support this feature. I also have all 5 of the original snes systems modded to use the extra vram and as far as I can find a online I am the only person online to have actually modify the snes for this. It has been thought that the snes could support the extra vram but no one has done it to actual hardware until now. Here are some pics of real hardware modified for the extra vram:

http://i.imgur.com/YOGo8NS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/20bIDz1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/orISmwT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nq22tYQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nq22tYQ.jpg

I have also modified a snes debugger nSide created by hex_usr (built from higan and leviathan source code that are both created by byuu) to support the extra vram for debugging.

If this feature is something that you might consider adding to the Super NT I will be willing to ship you one of these modified snes consoles for free for testing out the 128kb of vram feature. I really hope this is something that you would consider adding.

To all:

How do I edit links on this forum to show pictures for everyone to see instead of posting links?

Type

[IMG=img url goes here]

so..

[img=https://s20.postimg.org/4yfaw6cv1/IMG_2241.jpg]

will show:

IMG_2241.jpg

Your code...

[img=https://i.imgur.com/YOGo8NS.jpg]

YOGo8NS.jpg

Edited by F34R

Bringing his SNES core to absolute perfection is clearly something that Kevtris is after. It is about maintaining his brand: quality. Analogue also cares about being known for quality. The core store can be ported over at any time, but getting a perfect SNES core has to happen now in order for Kevtris and Analogue to maintain absolute domination in FPGA recreations of classic game systems.

There will always be copycat FPGA and software emulator based systems. None of them match the quality of the NT Mini for a modern NES recreation. The Super NT is very close to being a higher quality SNES than even the 1990s SNES systems made my Nintendo.

Be patient for more cores and have some appreciation for what is shaping up to be the best SNES ever made.

• Like 1

Bringing his SNES core to absolute perfection is clearly something that Kevtris is after. It is about maintaining his brand: quality. Analogue also cares about being known for quality. The core store can be ported over at any time, but getting a perfect SNES core has to happen now in order for Kevtris and Analogue to maintain absolute domination in FPGA recreations of classic game systems.

There will always be copycat FPGA and software emulator based systems. None of them match the quality of the NT Mini for a modern NES recreation. The Super NT is very close to being a higher quality SNES than even the 1990s SNES systems made my Nintendo.

Be patient for more cores and have some appreciation for what is shaping up to be the best SNES ever made.

That was my 1st post and I definitely do appreciate everything that has been done with the Super NT and I also own one from the 1st preorder. I really hope you are not saying higan is a copycat because the Super NT probably wouldn't be as accurate as it is today without the work that byuu (the creator of higan) has done.

• Like 1

I thought Smokemonster was claiming to be the JB coder and if thats how the real coder wanted to do it I was cool with that. So when I was told that Smoke isnt the JB coder I was like (no duh) Im not stupid. Sorry cacophony.

I do stand by there being a lot of negativity in this thread though. Back when I was reading page after page I couldnt help notice all the drama that slowly kept escalating (not just involving the one suspended user). It was kinda amazing in a terrible way but it draggggged. Anyways I think were done talking about this too.

Yeah man, there's no static on it. There are some pretty negative dudes in this thread I agree.