1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Just a HiDef-NES question. Its still in the realm of a FPGA system. :)

I know you mentioned that is firmware-wise done and the FPGA is full.

Is it possible to implement the way the super nt handle the 60hz imperfection, with a frame drop? I have no idea if its 2 rows of code or 2000. :)

As it is now its running a bit..slow? And from a speedrun perspective it would not be useable? (other than hooking it up with the composite)

And are the oscillators on the NES "perfect", are all exactly running at the same speed?

Edited by atmn

Just a HiDef-NES question. Its still in the realm of a FPGA system. :)

I know you mentioned that is firmware-wise done and the FPGA is full.

Is it possible to implement the way the super nt handle the 60hz imperfection, with a frame drop? I have no idea if its 2 rows of code or 2000. :)

As it is now its running a bit..slow? And from a speedrun perspective it would not be useable? (other than hooking it up with the composite)

And are the oscillators on the NES "perfect", are all exactly running at the same speed?

HiDef-NES actually makes the NES run a tiny smidgen faster, not slower. NES is natively 59.94hz I believe, so with HiDef-NES, it is running 0.1% faster.

There's no way to do the dropped frame because there's no frame buffer in the HiDef-NES.

Speedruns usually don't allow ANY kind of mods anyways....

HiDef-NES actually makes the NES run a tiny smidgen slower, not faster. NES is natively 60.09hz I believe, so with HiDef-NES, it is running 0.1% slower.

There's no way to do the dropped frame because there's no frame buffer in the HiDef-NES.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 2

Fixed that for you.

I was going to say "No that's SNES that runs 60.09, I know that", but you're right, NES also runs 60.09. I had it in my head that NES ran true NTSC.

Still stands that it has no frame buffer though, so it can't let the NES run 60.09hz internally, and drop frames like SNT does though (in fully buffered mode).

Edited by Forsaken

HiDef-NES actually makes the NES run a tiny smidgen faster, not slower. NES is natively 59.94hz I believe, so with HiDef-NES, it is running 0.1% faster.

Ye, but the super nt can run without frame buffer as well. The zero lag option are indeed without frame buffer?

Well, thats not true. Most of the NES speed runners are using NESRGB and a OSSC.

The Super NT with the two other options than zero lag must be valid for speed runs as well.

Edited by atmn

Ye, but the super nt can run without frame buffer as well. The zero lag option are indeed without frame buffer?

Well, thats not true. Most of the NES speed runners are using NESRGB and a OSSC.

The Super NT with the two other options than zero lag must be valid for speed runs as well.

Yes, zero lag is no frame buffering. But it underclocks the core instead, just like Hi-DEF NES does. Hi-DEF NES can't give the other two options that SNT has (tearing or variable lag), because it has no ability to provide a frame buffer.

I guess what's valid for speedrunning depends on what community you're participating in. I've been under the impression that they usually don't allow anything but original hardware, but there's obviously going to be varying rules between different communities.

• Like 1

Yes, zero lag is no frame buffering. But it underclocks the core instead, just like Hi-DEF NES does. Hi-DEF NES can't give the other two options that SNT has (tearing or variable lag), because it has no ability to provide a frame buffer.

I guess what's valid for speedrunning depends on what community you're participating in. I've been under the impression that they usually don't allow anything but original hardware, but there's obviously going to be varying rules between different communities.

NESRGB dont interfere with the speed the game is running in, but well. Twin Galaxies won't allow it I suppose. We all know what thats worth now.. :)

NESRGB dont interfere with the speed the game is running in, but well. Twin Galaxies won't allow it I suppose. We all know what thats worth now.. :)

Yeh 60.09hz over HDMI would be a cool option. That's what you get with the NESRGB and an OSSC. Kevtris ruled that out for SNT a while back in the thread though, unfortunately. Probably couldn't happen on Hi-DEF NES for a similar reason, even besides the fact that the FPGA is totally full now.

Looks like we hit 10000 posts! I didn't think the thread would get this big, but there it is. Thanks all!

Well you've still got a ways to go yet before you beat out the Coleco Chamellion thread, but hang in there. You're well on your way to becoming more popular than Mike Kennedy ever was! :rolling:

Any chance we're getting PAL60 support though ?

Super NT alreafy supports PAL mode with 60hz frame buffered output. Most later games after the first couple years will detect out of region hardware (including pal 60hz mods) and refuse to boot.

Importing Super Famicom on an NTSC Super NES stupid easy though! :grin:

It's literally losing 1 frame of speed out of every 600. That's 1 second lost over ten minutes. No human can perceive that minute of a change. And unless you are a world class speed runner, nobody is going to give a crap unless they are ocd. And the super nt has buffered options for that. Also world class speed runners strictly use zero latency crts with oem hardware per official rules.

It's literally losing 1 frame of speed out of every 600. That's 1 second lost over ten minutes. No human can perceive that minute of a change. And unless you are a world class speed runner, nobody is going to give a crap unless they are ocd. And the super nt has buffered options for that. Also world class speed runners strictly use zero latency crts with oem hardware per official rules.

IF a world class speedrunner using a HiDef NES. Is it a valid score? I mean. For SMB1 it would be a huge thing when they are counting seconds by thousands.

There are a lot of speedrunners out there, most people arent that technical that knows that if its valid on a NESRGB it should be valid on a HiDef NES as well. Just saying, how hard would it be to get a 60.09Hz mode. A bit offspec, but there is alot of things that are. If it works it works.. Like the OSSC.

Agreed, it would really be entirely placebo. It doesn't actually matter in the real world.

• Like 1

IF a world class speedrunner using a HiDef NES. Is it a valid score? I mean. For SMB1 it would be a huge thing when they are counting seconds by thousands.

There are a lot of speedrunners out there, most people arent that technical that knows that if its valid on a NESRGB it should be valid on a HiDef NES as well. Just saying, how hard would it be to get a 60.09Hz mode. A bit offspec, but there is alot of things that are. If it works it works.. Like the OSSC.

Well, the HiDef NES runs SLOWER than stock, so it actually puts you at the short end of the stick, except maybe for the fact that it's arguably a little easier to play at lower speed. But if you're going for world-class records, you REALLY need to do it on original hardware and carefully follow all the rules so you can have it verified.

This is way out of scope for 99.9999% of players though.

• Like 1

Still looking for an NT Mini.... Ebay’s been quiet lately so if any of you would like to part with your NT Mini I’d love to make you an offer. I sold a few parts of my collection to raise the funds to purchase a NT Mini at the exorbitant $$$$ eBay going rate, but haven’t seen any listed in several days. Love my Super NT, but I have 8 bit fever and the only cure is a NT Mini.

On another note - what is better: my Super NT with a Super Game Boy adapter and carts, or the NT Mini with the GB/GBC Core and dumped roms from my carts? I’ve read some info on another forum that’s gotten me curious...

Thank you Kevtris for making retro gaming even more enjoyable than it already was. I’ve got five kiddos (ages 4 to 14) who think the retro games are much more enjoyable than their IPad/iPhone or PS4 - that’s a testament to you as well.

Still looking for an NT Mini.... Ebay’s been quiet lately so if any of you would like to part with your NT Mini I’d love to make you an offer. I sold a few parts of my collection to raise the funds to purchase a NT Mini at the exorbitant $$$$ eBay going rate, but haven’t seen any listed in several days. Love my Super NT, but I have 8 bit fever and the only cure is a NT Mini.

On another note - what is better: my Super NT with a Super Game Boy adapter and carts, or the NT Mini with the GB/GBC Core and dumped roms from my carts? I’ve read some info on another forum that’s gotten me curious...

Thank you Kevtris for making retro gaming even more enjoyable than it already was. I’ve got five kiddos (ages 4 to 14) who think the retro games are much more enjoyable than their IPad/iPhone or PS4 - that’s a testament to you as well.

I finally found My NT mini off some other forums. It comes today. Very excited. Hope you find one soon. I got lucky and got a good deal on mine.

I finally found My NT mini off some other forums. It comes today. Very excited. Hope you find one soon. I got lucky and got a good deal on mine.

Wow!! On one hand I’m so jealous, but on the other hand I’m so proud for you! I guess I’m just not looking in enough places, but honestly I don’t know where else to look. I’m the PA Announcer for the San Antonio Spurs and we just finished up the regular season and begin the Playoffs on the road at Golden State - so - I’ve got a few days free until the series shifts back here to SA...I’ll keep looking, but I’m starting to believe I’m just snakebitten when it comes to acquiring this system. I don’t know how many of these NT Mini’s Kevtris sold, but I wish the timing would have been different when they were readily available. Gotta count my blessings though - a healthy wife is worth missing out on a great system.

Again, man congrats - that’s awesome that you found one at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Wow!! On one hand I’m so jealous, but on the other hand I’m so proud for you! I guess I’m just not looking in enough places, but honestly I don’t know where else to look. I’m the PA Announcer for the San Antonio Spurs and we just finished up the regular season and begin the Playoffs on the road at Golden State - so - I’ve got a few days free until the series shifts back here to SA...I’ll keep looking, but I’m starting to believe I’m just snakebitten when it comes to acquiring this system. I don’t know how many of these NT Mini’s Kevtris sold, but I wish the timing would have been different when they were readily available. Gotta count my blessings though - a healthy wife is worth missing out on a great system.

Very cool. I’ve been looking since the beginning of this year. Be patient you’ll find one. Just have to be at the right place at the right time.

Oh nice, San Antonio native here as well! Cool to see the Spurs PA announcer on here!

I love my NT Mini, but man do I wish the cart connector wasn't as finnicky as it is, if they do a revision at one point I hope it's a better fit like the Super NT

I think the biggest problem with finding one at this point is that it was such a niche item, most people who bought one were dedicated collector's who wanted a nice solid hi definition way to play, I'm sure some people bought last round to flip, but me personally I can't see myself switching over to the AVS or anything like that

Edited by Jurai