• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Here's an imgur album about the 8bitdo dpad scotch tape 'fix'

https://imgur.com/gallery/7T7Mi

Awesome. Will do this tomorrow. Cheers Jurai

Yeah, that's the page I started off with. I adjusted the coverage of the tape based on how it affected the sensitivity of the proper direction presses. Mine has the parts that aren't relevant to the proper direction completely covered, but not the grey parts that separates the contacts. I did this on my nes and snes controllers from 8bitdo.

Edited by F34R

Graphite is a fairly good conductor of electricity. Are you sure it didn't short out the cartridge contacts?

No way to tell, Seller wants me to send it back, so I guess I will. It will annoy me to no end if I send it back and it magically works for them.

Here's my theory, they probably didn't test it with a GB cart in it, and assumed it worked, because otherwise that graphite that was in the GB cart slot would have prevented the cart from making contact. When I tried to use it, I put the GB cart in it first, thus that could have caused a short. It still doesn't really explain why it stops at the boot border, but tilting it slightly gets it past. It's almost as if the CIC was the problem, and tilting it briefly makes it work.

Wow!

So how much of the stuff in the 80s pics do you still own?

Love the Zelda maps!

Most of it. I rarely ever sold any of my games or systems.

I'm glad you liked the Zelda maps. I saved most of that stuff too. One thing that I've recently found useful have been original video game receipts from the 80's and 90's. They serve as perfect time stamps for game launch dates. I've been able to help correct a few Wikipedia entries.

LOL, between this forum and console purist page on Facebook you always try to find any excuse to post your collection lol. It reminds me of Parents who always bring out the pictures of their kids even when nobody asked them too.

Not hating lol, just messing with you.

Everyone posts their stuff on CP. I mostly post examples for better gaming setups, collecting tips, and the occasional gaming pickup for fun.

I've been gaming and collecting my entire life. I've been running my gaming website for over 21 years. I don't post simply to show off. I share it because I enjoy talking about all things gaming.

Also, in this particular case, I was being called out as someone who doesn't play games.. As silly as it was, I still felt compelled to show just how wrong he was.

I just want to say THANK YOU!!! to kevtris. For his amazing job.

After buying an NT mini, I realized it was a work of art, I couldn't believe I was playing NES on an HDTV with close to no input lag using my original carts. I told my self if he makes an HDMI Super Nintendo, I'll pay anything. My dream came true and can't be any happier with my Super NT.

Once more THANK YOU and Analogue for making this happen.

I just want to say THANK YOU!!! to kevtris. For his amazing job.

After buying an NT mini, I realized it was a work of art, I couldn't believe I was playing NES on an HDTV with close to no input lag using my original carts. I told my self if he makes an HDMI Super Nintendo, I'll pay anything. My dream came true and can't be any happier with my Super NT.

Once more THANK YOU and Analogue for making this happen.

Agree, love both of them. Just hope we see a Sega Mega Nt to complete the package ;-)

FirebrandX configuration settings for the SuperNT, for 4x and 5x for both SNES games and SuperGameboy. https://youtu.be/Hr6KgNXXRxs

So he goes through the trouble of changing the settings depending on certain games? I.E. 5X being no good for Super Castlevania IV.

Also square pixels looks too narrow to me. Didn't some games change the graphics to adjust for the CRT widening the aspect ratios a bit?

So he goes through the trouble of changing the settings depending on certain games? I.E. 5X being no good for Super Castlevania IV.

Also square pixels looks too narrow to me. Didn't some games change the graphics to adjust for the CRT widening the aspect ratios a bit?

He uses square pixels for Gameboy because that handheld display wasn't a CRT. He adjusts it to compensate for the CRT widening when he changes his 5x width from 1280 to 1462 when switching from GB to SNES.

Hey just wanted to mention my followup video to my recommended Super Nt settings, which shows a heck of a lot easier way to quickly change the resolution depending on what you want to play. It also discusses the bizarre 1:1 and 8:7 modes that Kevtris put in the simplified "Screen Size" menu that (at least in my opinion) seem to have no value or reason behind them. Neither mode gives you square pixel options, and it seems to me if you're going to have a simplified Screen Size menu, you'd want to include square pixel options. That's just me anyway, and perhaps someone could shed some light on what purpose they have. Now before people jump on me and claim the 8:7 mode is square pixels or that the 1:1 mode is, they are not. square pixels on a digital display would mean 1024x960 on the Supet Nt, or 1280x1200 on the Super Nt. Neither 1:1 or 8:7 make sense in this context. But anyway, here's the followup video:

• Like 1

FirebrandX configuration settings for the SuperNT, for 4x and 5x for both SNES games and SuperGameboy.

That is a good video, but I don't agree with everything stated in it. Some highlights :

I agree with FirebrandX that the 1:1 option in the menus is misleading and should be nixed or renamed. The SNES's usual resolution is 256x224, but the 1:1 option at 1080p gives a resolution of 960x960 which is not a true 1:1 scaled pixel ratio. 256/224 =/ 960/960. The less technically inclined may not understand the option and use it instead of 4x/4x or 5x/5x.

07:20 He talks about 4:3 for 16:9 as the proper aspect correction ratio for a CRT. He says it was as it was determined on the NESdev forum. However, that forum determined that 8:7 is the ideal aspect correct ratio for a NES or a SNES as a CRT displays it.

At 07:39 he says that using a 5x scale in Super Castlevania IV will cut off the top and bottom graphics and you should use 4x. He says that the top of the weapons box will be cut off. This is true at the default vertical position of 42, but change it to 64 and you can make the top of the weapons box visible in all stages. The bottom of the screen usually doesn't display critical graphical information.

He should mention that you can press the start button to get to the preset ratios rather than wasting time doing it manually.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 2

For NT Mini's GBC Core, is anybody able to get a copy of The Fish Files (eur) to work?

Mine's no good, it gets past the studio logos and then displays garbage.

I'm guessing it's not just my copy. IIRC it uses some kind of trick to get more colors out of the gbc--there was at least one other game that used the same trick, but I can't recall what it was.

I'm also not able to get the colorized gb-to-gbc game hacks to work (metroid/super mario land) but being hacks I have no idea how hardware-compatible they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygRdQ5kAMdQ

Edited by Reaperman

Hey just wanted to mention my followup video to my recommended Super Nt settings, which shows a heck of a lot easier way to quickly change the resolution depending on what you want to play. It also discusses the bizarre 1:1 and 8:7 modes that Kevtris put in the simplified "Screen Size" menu that (at least in my opinion) seem to have no value or reason behind them. Neither mode gives you square pixel options, and it seems to me if you're going to have a simplified Screen Size menu, you'd want to include square pixel options. That's just me anyway, and perhaps someone could shed some light on what purpose they have. Now before people jump on me and claim the 8:7 mode is square pixels or that the 1:1 mode is, they are not. square pixels on a digital display would mean 1024x960 on the Supet Nt, or 1280x1200 on the Super Nt. Neither 1:1 or 8:7 make sense in this context. But anyway, here's the followup video:

07:20 He talks about 4:3 for 16:9 as the proper aspect correction ratio for a CRT. He says it was as it was determined on the NESdev forum. However, that forum determined that 8:7 is the ideal aspect correct ratio for a NES or a SNES as a CRT displays it.

I thought the 8:7 thing was more well known, guess not so much.

Looks like SoH's comment on the followup youtube video explains the mixup:

I noticed the odd ratios, as well. My best guess is a confusion between PAR and DAR, you see pop up in discussion around SNES aspect ratio constantly. The Pixel Ratio is 8:7, people miss the pixel part of that and try and apply it to the Display Ratio. Looks like kevtris did the same here. Rather than the 256 * (8/7) ratio (applying to the native pixels specifically) as it should be. Fortunately that ratio is covered in 4:3 for 16:9 as mentioned in your previous video. 8:7 DAR just plain doesn't exist in any context, but you can see the easy mixup. 1:1 is just straight bizarre though, I've got no answers.

So if I'm understanding this right, the "4:3 for 16:9" settings FirebrandX describes actually is a 8:7 PAR?

Edited by Riptide

s-l300.jpg

Got one of theese hudson controllers, very neat.

The compability arent 100% with the Fami port, due to how roms handle input.

Make a fami->nes converter and its a done deal. :)

I have one of those; it's a very nice controller. Surprisingly a lot of bitd games worked on it, mostly those developed first in Japan. Super Mario Bros 2 / USA is an exception though. Most homebrews also ignore the D1 inputs sadly.

I also have the gray colored NES knockoff version with headphone jack. Cleaned up nice with some dielectric grease on the slide contacts.

You might be confusing 8:7 with 256* 8:7. The latter is the formula for CRT correction, while 8:7 by itself is the 'square pixel' ratio (as in 256x224 res is 8/7 ratio). The problem I think is that the "8:7" on Kevtris's usage is neither square pixels NOR proper aspect correction. It's simply coming up with a new res mode that doesn't match either scenario, so it has to be a mistake.

Edit: Double-checked it, and it most definitely is wrong. When you use 8:7 with 4x for vertical, the active output area is 1097x896. That doesn't match square pixels OR proper CRT aspect correction. Square pixels is 1024x896 and CRT aspect correction is 1170x896, so what the heck is 1097x896? It has to be a mistake because it makes no sense.

Edited by Karbuncle
  • Like 2

You might be confusing 8:7 with 256* 8:7. The latter is the formula for CRT correction, while 8:7 by itself is the 'square pixel' ratio (as in 256x224 res is 8/7 ratio). The problem I think is that the "8:7" on Kevtris's usage is neither square pixels NOR proper aspect correction. It's simply coming up with a new res mode that doesn't match either scenario, so it has to be a mistake.

Edit: Double-checked it, and it most definitely is wrong. When you use 8:7 with 4x for vertical, the active output area is 1097x896. That doesn't match square pixels OR proper CRT aspect correction. Square pixels is 1024x896 and CRT aspect correction is 1170x896, so what the heck is 1097x896? It has to be a mistake because it makes no sense.

I really wish all the integer ratios were accessible from the novice version of the menu. Also 4:3 mode really isn't 4:3 as the picture is still too thin. Or that vertical and horizontal position started at zero for centered then moving up/down or left/right would be plus/minus. My OCD complex kicks in when I can't really be sure if it's truly centered or not.

Also certain combinations of height, scalars, and vertical interpolation settings with scanlines turned on can result in the scanlines being misaligned with the pixels. Bumping the vertical position up or down a couple pixels usually corrects this. I think Kevtris said he planned on doing an overhaul.

I really wish all the integer ratios were accessible from the novice version of the menu. Also 4:3 mode really isn't 4:3 as the picture is still too thin. Or that vertical and horizontal position started at zero for centered then moving up/down or left/right would be plus/minus. My OCD complex kicks in when I can't really be sure if it's truly centered or not.

Also certain combinations of height, scalars, and vertical interpolation settings with scanlines turned on can result in the scanlines being misaligned with the pixels. Bumping the vertical position up or down a couple pixels usually corrects this. I think Kevtris said he planned on doing an overhaul.

I think the default horizontal position of 38 isn't even centered. It looks a little off. So yeah, +1 for starting at zero and going negative/positive for left/right.

I wish this aspect ratio discussion didn't go so deep. People don't seem to agree on which aspect ratio corrects 4:3 properly, so this might be a harder thing to get consensus on. If you really want to have your perfect correction you can still do it just fine through the advance settings. I just wish the 1:1 thing was corrected. I don't care how you call it, but I have heard no one say there is a single use for this 1:1 aspect as it's implemented now.

So just going straight to the point: The 1:1 aspect that's implemented now is completely useless, but the square pixel ratio is useful, so it should be on the basic menu. I don't care what you call it. Call it "leo DS is a moron" for all I care. Just get rid of that useless setting and put somehting people actually usein it's place.

As for the entire 4:3 and 8:7 stuff, I am lucky to not care enough. Both look decent, and since there is no actual unique scaling throughout CRTs, nor is there an official standard, that's kind of a lost cause. It's kinda like NES palletes. You can discuss it all your life, and you can make or use one that you like, but you can't ever find the "correct" one.

I wish this aspect ratio discussion didn't go so deep. People don't seem to agree on which aspect ratio corrects 4:3 properly, so this might be a harder thing to get consensus on. If you really want to have your perfect correction you can still do it just fine through the advance settings. I just wish the 1:1 thing was corrected. I don't care how you call it, but I have heard no one say there is a single use for this 1:1 aspect as it's implemented now.

So just going straight to the point: The 1:1 aspect that's implemented now is completely useless, but the square pixel ratio is useful, so it should be on the basic menu. I don't care what you call it. Call it "leo DS is a moron" for all I care. Just get rid of that useless setting and put somehting people actually usein it's place.

As for the entire 4:3 and 8:7 stuff, I am lucky to not care enough. Both look decent, and since there is no actual unique scaling throughout CRTs, nor is there an official standard, that's kind of a lost cause. It's kinda like NES palletes. You can discuss it all your life, and you can make or use one that you like, but you can't ever find the "correct" one.

I think most of it stems from a confusion between pixel aspect ratio and display aspect ratio; thats definitely what had me mixed up anyway. Much thanks to Karbuncle/FirebrandX for explaining things.

CRT:s mostly displaying wrong and warped picture, it wasnt perfect back then.

No but we can figure out what ratio the developers were trying to target, see the picture in Karbuncle's post here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/?view=findpost&p=3966115

• Like 2

Got a HiDef NES question.

Think I have modded 5 of them without any issues, however a NES2 top loader behaves quite different. When it's cold, just started the screens sometimes rolls, or scroll verticaly. It stops after like 20 seconds after restarting the system. It even stops after resetting the console.

My first thought was that a cap on the console is bad, but after recapping it the problem was the same. Not a huge problem, but it's still a problem.. Can't sell it as is.

Edited by atmn