1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I do believe Genesis fans have a slightly lower bar for quality, the system speaks to it. But no I don't think their perceived desire for standards are any lower than you imagine. And I'm not obsessed I'm just looking at what would make the most sense where you could enter a space where nothing exists that would be more interesting to classic gamers. Both the PS1 (doable) and N64 (not for now) have nothing. Sega may not have an Analogue quality level device but it has been pretty played out at most tiers under that. I'm also hedging it on the fact that Sega is dead, Sony and Nintendo are still alive and kicking out hardware and have current living fanbases of their devices while Sega is a dead relic relegated to aging carts and consoles, sorry re-release ROM bundles in multiple formats, and dodgy quality SD (mostly) quality closed and open(to use carts/sd cards) devices.

Well you clearly underestimate the Sega Genesis fan base, especially the hardcore fans. We've been dying for a proper clone or HDMI mod kit. The people who are satisfied with those cheap clones are casual gamers. No hardcore Genesis fan would play one of those clones and be 100% happy with their purchase.

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 2

I'm still trying to figure exactly what "I do believe Genesis fans have a slightly lower bar for quality, the system speaks to it" means.

Clearly he isn't very much impressed by the Genesis library of games. I personally think it no worse than the SNES library of games overall. Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 2

I interpreted it to mean the genesis consoles themselves were lower physical quality compared to NES/SNES.

Well, technically Genesis have held up better than both the NES and SNES. No serious cart slot issues like the NES and no brittled yellow plastic that you find on a lot of SNES consoles these days.

I'm still trying to figure exactly what "I do believe Genesis fans have a slightly lower bar for quality, the system speaks to it" means.

I think it possibly means he's talking out of his rear end. A whiff of fanboyism perhaps. Not entirely sure.

I'm curious if there is any way to use the Wii U/Switch Hori Pokken controller with the Super NT. Is there a usb to SNES adapter out there? I'm looking for something wired and with a decent d-pad. The 8bitdo controllers all seem to have some kind of problem with diagonals, and the old rubber membranes have all worn out on my original SNES controllers. I've tried generic replacement membranes, the ones from nesrepairhut/mortoffgames, and the Hyperkin branded ones. The Hyperkins are the only ones without diagonal issues, but are extremely stiff and have a completely different feel. Kind of hurt my hands after just a little bit of play time. The Hori Pokken controller was designed specifically for the Pokken fighting game so the d-pad is great, and it's still available new pretty cheaply. If there's no way to make it work with the NT, I think the next thing I'll try is the Raphnet Wii classic controller to SNES adapter. I'd love to hear some feedback if anyone is using that combo as well.

I'll always take CRT over HDMI on non-hdmi native consoles. So, if it didn't come with an HDMI slot, I prefer playing it on CRT. Just too much lag on regular modern tv's for me.

DLP projectors are King of motion with zero lag time. Then CRT comes in with a close second in terms of lag time. Before they stopped making 1080i HD CRT TV’s, the latest models did have HDMI inputs. The latest gaming consoles offer 4K Ultra HD and 1080P resolution and they need HDMI. There is nothing wrong with HDMI when it comes to classic SD and HD gaming. I do not see people complaining about their PS3, PS4, and XBOX systems because of the HDMI output.

It’s the display that causes the lag time. Getting a good modern DLP projector or old CRT display with a HDMI input does offer a good quality gaming experience.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Since we are speculating... if Neogeo is too complex and Genesis overdone, I could see them making a PC Engine clone.

If I'm not mistaken the CD hardware is a regular one (it accepts CDRs without modification) and the BIOS was shipped in HuCards (i.e. carts) so a priori it wouldn't be an issue to replicate, copyright wise. If they add SuperGrafx support, you could play the entirety of games available.

Is there a market? Possibly, given standalone CD units are dying out (breaking) and the Duo-R models are becoming more expensive.

Bonus points if they add multiple controller ports to avoid needing a multitap, and if they manage to keep rhe size small (I always likd the Core console size).

Edited by Newsdee

DLP projectors are King of motion with zero lag time. Then CRT comes in with a close second in terms of lag time. Before they stopped making 1080i HD CRT TV’s, the latest models did have HDMI inputs. The latest gaming consoles offer 4K Ultra HD and 1080P resolution and they need HDMI. There is nothing wrong with HDMI when it comes to classic SD and HD gaming. I do not see people complaining about their PS3, PS4, and XBOX systems because of the HDMI output.

It’s the display that causes the lag time. Getting a good modern DLP projector or old CRT display with a HDMI input does offer a good quality gaming experience.

Right, I said, modern tv. My Vizio P65 C-1. Can't do SNES gameplay too well. I can't have TOO many displays lol. I play the Super Nt on a computer lcd, Playing my Xbox One X, Super Lucky Tales, I can make precise jumps, no problem. Trying to play Super Mario Bros on my Super Nt on the same display is impossible to meet the same accuracy.

and the "transparent" model is marked as discontinued.

LOL, "collectards" will go nuts over this variant... :lol: :sad:

Based on the amount of criticism it got for not matching the concept renders, no wonder. I don't think it looked any worse than the funtastic n64s. Great looking console but not for me. Glad to see the retro themes are coming back, though some will have to wait a while longer... ;-)

Not true Sonys and Epsons projectors have less input lag than most of the dlp projectors, but the motion can be better on the dlp if you like all the rainbows it produce..

I'm curious if there is any way to use the Wii U/Switch Hori Pokken controller with the Super NT. Is there a usb to SNES adapter out there? I'm looking for something wired and with a decent d-pad. The 8bitdo controllers all seem to have some kind of problem with diagonals, and the old rubber membranes have all worn out on my original SNES controllers. I've tried generic replacement membranes, the ones from nesrepairhut/mortoffgames, and the Hyperkin branded ones. The Hyperkins are the only ones without diagonal issues, but are extremely stiff and have a completely different feel. Kind of hurt my hands after just a little bit of play time. The Hori Pokken controller was designed specifically for the Pokken fighting game so the d-pad is great, and it's still available new pretty cheaply. If there's no way to make it work with the NT, I think the next thing I'll try is the Raphnet Wii classic controller to SNES adapter. I'd love to hear some feedback if anyone is using that combo as well.

It's not wired, but you can interface the Switch Pro Controller to a Super NT using the 8bitdo adapter. I paired an 8bitdo Pro controller with it, styled after SNES, which incidentally also works with Switch. ;-)

I've used the raphnet adapter that goes from classic controller to SNES and it seemed to work fine. I used it very little so far. Like pretty much just tested that all the buttons worked properly. Technically there is a little lag with that combo so I have avoided and just used my real snes controller though I did not notice any lag in the very little time

i tested it.

Edited by Toth

I've used the raphnet adapter that goes from classic controller to SNES and it seemed to work fine. I used it very little so far. Like pretty much just tested that all the buttons worked properly. Technically there is a little lag with that combo so I have avoided and just used my real snes controller though I did not notice any lag in the very little time

i tested it.

That's good to know, thanks! I didn't notice about the lag, but I see on the product page that there's 4ms max. No big deal I would say.

Well, technically Genesis have held up better than both the NES and SNES. No serious cart slot issues like the NES and no brittled yellow plastic that you find on a lot of SNES consoles these days.

A lot of Genesis consoles have garbage audio output, though, due to poor redesigns by Sega (VA7, anyone?).

A lot of Genesis consoles have garbage audio output, though, due to poor redesigns by Sega (VA7, anyone?).

The VA7 audio is not garbage if you pull stereo sound from the headphone jack instead of RF or the AV port. But yeah, the mono mix (AV port and RF) sounds like a grunge effect guitar filter being applied to the output.

I wish people would stop dissing the VA7 Genesis Model 1 so much because the mono mix is bad on it. It is a very easy fix, cheap $5 cable routed to your audio system receiver for clean distortion free stereo with punchy bass effects. Set the volume slider to 5 for optimal results, and adjust the volume on your audio system for comfortable listening.

I personally love my VA7. Sometimes I still use the RF dongle for nostalgia's sake. Nothing else sounds quite like it... :cool:

I just received a new game in the mail, and along with said game, I have a new bug to report:

Bomberman Panic Bomber displays an error message when plugged into the Super NT:

"Error: You cannot use a mouse with this game."

The "Force NTT Data compatibility" fix corrects this, but I shouldn't have to use the compatibility fix to run the game with OEM controllers. First world problems I know. :P

Video link should be live in an hour or so:

If anyone wants to repost my unlisted video link on the GIT hub bug tracker, feel free to do so. For the record, I have the JB firmware 6.5 installed but that shouldn't matter since it's feature parity with the official release and I'm running off a real SA-1 cartridge.

Just the other day, I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on the black one, disappointed that the others weren't available and that there was no indication of future availability. Perfect timing to get an email from Analogue announcing preorder opening of the US and SFC models!

I'm terrible at making decisions, and I went back and forth, but I finally settled on the SFC design and placed my preorder.

Man, that's a lot of money for shipping, though.

• Like 2

Thankfully there is a fix for all revisions with bad audio. The Mega Amp!!

Yeah, I am definitely getting the Mega Amp! Thanks all for the great advice. Still looking forward to a solution from Analogue, even though my Genny looks great with the OSSC!