1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Shipping expense seems to be a lot less this time around. Only $23 to upstate New York, which while high, isn't nearly as outrageous.

I paid $19 for shipping on the Sg to upstate NY. In comparison, I had to pay $43 shipping for the Super NT and was expecting the same here. A friend of mine, just an hour away, paid $43 shipping. It all seems very random.

I decided to order the Mega Sg. I'll wait for it to arrive before going shopping for used carts though.

Here's a question I am wondering about though. Would it be possible for someone to create something similar to the SD2SNES for it, in that it can emulate all the pin converters in one unit? It seems like that's what the Everdrive X7 does.

Edited by Kismet

I decided to order the Mega Sg. I'll wait for it to arrive before going shopping for used carts though.

Here's a question I am wondering about though. Would it be possible for someone to create something similar to the SD2SNES for it, in that it can emulate all the pin converters in one unit? It seems like that's what the Everdrive X7 does.

Do you mean one adapter for the cart slot that does all the pin converters, which would be kind of cool, or just one flashcart that supplies multiple kinds of roms to the system, like the everdrives do with master system on genesis?

If it's the second one, I'd imagine the answer is yes. But if it's just about roms, there's always the possibility that somewhere there could be a 'mysterious stranger' that can nearly instantly reverse-engineer Kevtris' cores/firmware and modify them to enable roms to load via the SD slot. I'm not sure we'll ever know the identity of that 'mysterious stranger' behind the jailbreak firmware. Kevtris, I think you might have to change your locks, you must have a spy running around there, or something.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Been following this thread periodically since Analogue announced the Sg. I was never into Sega, I think the only Genesis game I've played was Ecco in emulator decades after it was relevant. I'm excited to get this and catch up on all I've missed.

I wish Analogue would officially confirm/deny ROM SD card support. I feel like it was only released on the Super Nt as a response to the negative feedback, and that they wanted to phase it out. I understand they want to distance themselves from piracy but it is frustrating from a consumer aspect, especially someone who has no interest/space for a cartridge collection.

Does an EverDrive x7 support additional features beyond what the Sg will? Anything to justify its purchase alongside an Sg, similar to how SD2SNES had custom chip support?

That's strange! I'm also in upstate NY and got charged $29.42. I didn't get anything but the console so no clue why you saved almost $6.42 over me.

Got charged the same thing and my cost is the same as you. I'm out near Poughkeepsie, NY.

I have no clue how they are charging... it's pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Sho

Do you mean one adapter for the cart slot that does all the pin converters, which would be kind of cool, or just one flashcart that supplies multiple kinds of roms to the system, like the everdrives do with master system on genesis?

If it's the second one, I'd imagine the answer is yes. But if it's just about roms, there's always the possibility that somewhere there could be a 'mysterious stranger' that can nearly instantly reverse-engineer Kevtris' cores/firmware and modify them to enable roms to load via the SD slot. I'm not sure we'll ever know the identity of that 'mysterious stranger' behind the jailbreak firmware. Kevtris, I think you might have to change your locks, you must have a spy running around there, or something.

I was thinking along the lines of potentially being able to activate any core that could use the 9-pin game controllers. (eg Atari) if those cores ever exist for it in a future firmware. Right now I'm just wondering if SG/MD/SMS/SG3000/GG games can be loaded onto the same Everdrive unit.

I feel like it was only released on the Super Nt as a response to the negative feedback, and that they wanted to phase it out. I understand they want to distance themselves from piracy but it is frustrating from a consumer aspect, especially someone who has no interest/space for a cartridge collection.

Not sure what gave you that impression. They've always kept their distance from jailbreaks and it's never been officially supported.

Gizmodo did confirm that the Mega SG would be able to play roms:

"And for those of you who long ago lost your Sega cartridge collections to over-zealous garage sale parents, or who’ve amassed a healthy collection of ROMs over the years (for all the games you’ve already purchased, of course!), Analogue has confirmed that the $190 Mega Sg will also be upgradeable, via unofficial third-party firmware, allowing you to load ROMs via the console’s SD card slot. For some, that could be reason alone to make the upgrade."

(from: https://gizmodo.com/the-guys-behind-the-best-nes-and-snes-clones-have-built-1829633330)

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 3

Not sure what gave you that impression. They've always kept their distance from jailbreaks and it's never been officially supported.

"And for those of you who long ago lost your Sega cartridge collections to over-zealous garage sale parents, or who’ve amassed a healthy collection of ROMs over the years (for all the games you’ve already purchased, of course!), Analogue has confirmed that the $190 Mega Sg will also be upgradeable, via unofficial third-party firmware, allowing you to load ROMs via the console’s SD card slot. For some, that could be reason alone to make the upgrade."

(from: https://gizmodo.com/the-guys-behind-the-best-nes-and-snes-clones-have-built-1829633330)

That sounds like a lot of speculation on their part. Analogue had said that they wouldn't limit what people do with the SD slot before, but they have never confirmed any such thing at any point for any of their systems. On top of that, if this were actually a thing, surely they would have told any of the other publications that they spoke to.

• Like 1

That sounds like a lot of speculation on their part. Analogue had said that they wouldn't limit what people do with the SD slot before, but they have never confirmed any such thing at any point for any of their systems. On top of that, if this were actually a thing, surely they would have told any of the other publications that they spoke to.

I was just quoting a Gizmodo article. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you. But as written it's not them speculating ("Analogue has confirmed").

You wouldn't happen to have the full text of this article archived would you? The page has been deleted and archive.org doesn't have it. Neither does google cache... :sad:

post-33189-0-75521600-1540703942_thumb.png

You wouldn't happen to have the full text of this article archived would you? The page has been deleted and archive.org doesn't have it. Neither does google cache... :sad:

Weird, not sure why that link stopped working. Try this similar one: https://gizmodo.com/the-guys-behind-the-best-nes-and-snes-clones-have-built-1829633330

Edited by cacophony

Weird, not sure why that link stopped working. Try this similar one: https://gizmodo.com/the-guys-behind-the-best-nes-and-snes-clones-have-built-1829633330

Yup! :grin: :thumbsup:

Unlike Sega’s early consoles that embraced black to appear edgier than Nintendo’s colorful hardware, the Mega Sg will be available in four different color options, including a gleaming all-white box. And for those of you who long ago lost your Sega cartridge collections to over-zealous garage sale parents, or who’ve amassed a healthy collection of ROMs over the years (for all the games you’ve already purchased, of course!), Analogue has confirmed that the $190 Mega Sg will also be upgradeable, via unofficial third-party firmware, allowing you to load ROMs via the console’s SD card slot. For some, that could be reason alone to make the upgrade.

But do we know for sure it came from founder Christopher Taber?

Analogue founder Christopher Taber is even more blunt when it comes to the performance of existing Sega throwback consoles already on the market.

As I’m sure you know, all of the other aftermarket Genesis / Mega Drive systems are complete and utter garbage. Totally fucked audio / incompatibilities, trash industrial design and manufacturing quality... the options for playing Sega with original cartridges is abysmal.

They neither name dropped Christopher's remark nor used block quotes for the ROM comment. Still, I have no doubt a JB firmware will come. Do you think Game Gear ROMs will be playable via Megadrive MD? SG-1000? SMS with FM sound?

I will get the Game Gear adapter but I don't wanna by SMS and Game Gear flashcarts. If we get JB firmware then it's moot.

I can also imagine getting an NES adapter for the Super NT if Analogue don't want to reissue a cost reduced NT Mini. Get a cartridge plug and two controller adapters for the controller ports (NES and SNES share the same controller interface).

My Analogue Mega SG system will be getting the chrome decal treatment like my AVS and Super NT. :cool:

I will probably place the Chrome Sega logo opposite the Analogue logo in the lower left hand corner. I also kinda wish the Model 1 inspired circle wasn't truncated in the back. It would be perfect for a "high definition graphics" logo. I always felt that the model 1 HD logo was false advertising two decades after the console debuted in north America. Now on the 30th anniversary we get a true "high definition graphics" Sega. :grin:

Decal ordered! :evil:

il_570xN.803613464_cpkv.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/240795215/sega-genesis-label-aufkleber-sticker

I "rebrand" everything! :ahoy:

post-33189-0-21854400-1540708593_thumb.png

• Like 3

Does an EverDrive x7 support additional features beyond what the Sg will? Anything to justify its purchase alongside an Sg, similar to how SD2SNES had custom chip support?

I guess you want us to speculate. I imagine the SG won't have save states so that puts an X7 a mark above. It doubling as a Sega CD ram cart is something I could see the SG having built in. EEPROM save support could end up absent. I think most games have patches now

• Like 1

The previous link had a ) at the end of the link. That's usually why I always put spaces before and after links in forums, and with the AtariAge forum it has a tendancy to screw up things that were copy-pasted into it, so two spaces after a paste.

• Like 1

Someone explain this to me please... it doesn't make sense, and I'm all out of logic today.

So, I posted earlier that I grabbed a Sega CD Model 2. It was working when I got it (even though the auction description said it wasn't reading discs). Then after a few hours, it stopped reading discs. I figured, bad laser. Ordered a new laser for it.

So today, I started repairing. I took the Model 2 apart, and as I was removing the laser, a spring came loose and I tried to catch it. Well in that process, I dropped the faulty laser. No big deal right? Yeah, sure. So, I get the new laser put in, and button it all back up. Start it up, laser is seaking, gears working, CD NOT SPINNING!! The motor for the cd spindle isn't engaging. I started swearing. So, after an hour of troubleshooting, I couldn't literally find anything wrong other than this laser requires more power.

So, just for shits n giggles, I wanted to put the old laser back in, see if the motor spins up. I already knew it wasn't going to read discs, I didn't even care that point.

... wait for it.....

The effin thing is working again!! wth??? I'm mean, I'm not upset. The new laser was 11 bucks, free shipping. I'm just trying to understand how I dropped a not working laser from four feet, it fell to the floor, and now it's working. smh

... I'm just trying to understand how I dropped a not working laser from four feet, it fell to the floor, and now it's working. smh

Well, maybe you got Midas hands today ... If I were you I'd try that huge freezer that stopped working years ago, the one you use as a chest now, the 500 pounders !!??!!

Give that a nice 4 feet drop, if you can do it on the 2nd floor and let us know how it ends we'd appreciate ;-)

NOTE: if you can drop a 500 pound freezer from 4 feet in the air, congratulation as you are way way stronger than me and I should not have posted this.

• Like 1