1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

once you see the problems with the ags-101 screen, they can't be unseen. There is room for improvement, as they really aren't suited to games with a lot of motion. IMO, Micro's probably the best way to play gba currently, as long as your eyes still focus short enough to hold it close in. Mine don't-once I got mine sanded and lasered, they really weren't up to the task of handling GBM, so I'm always looking for a way to play my favorite system (gba) on the big screen, at native resolution (or an integer away).

Kevtris could do us better--he historically has, anyway. It is definitely well into the 'diminishing returns' world of paying more for minor quality improvements, though. I can't really say I'd rather see a system I'm super familiar with get the FPGA treatment over more obscure systems that I haven't fully experienced.

I will say that in terms of running gameboy and gameboy color, the previous two Analogue systems already have the market cornered for being the best ways to play them, and really only seem to compete with each other for my attention. Heck, when I'm doing game boy, I'll often flip between them in the same session depending on the game's sgb support.

Edited by Reaperman

I am sure if Analogue were to release a kevtris NG FPGA they will sell all of them quickly .... the NG crowd is not penny pinching usually, an SD flash cart solution costs alone 500US$, so told it has to be perfect (zero lag, and perfect gfx/sound ... which I think now for kevtris is the minimum bar anyway).

The beauty of kevtris work is the attention to details, when the others are happy with 480p or 720p he goes for 1080p so really no-compromise .... and allows all kinds of video settings to adapt it in size and ratio ... and every time he gets better, if only Analogue gave him time to go back and improve on the older systems (I heard scanlines still needs work on the SuperNt, hopefully the MegaSg has it already fixed, I really don't use them so ....).

EDIT: this very topic is almost reaching 1M views, that tells you how much kevtris work matters to people ..... kevtris should be given the retro-major badge of honor.

once you see the problems with the ags-101 screen, they can't be unseen. There is room for improvement, as they really aren't suited to games with a lot of motion. IMO, Micro's probably the best way to play gba currently, as long as your eyes still focus short enough to hold it close in. Mine don't-once I got mine sanded and lasered, they really weren't up to the task of handling GBM, so I'm always looking for a way to play my favorite system (gba) on the big screen, at native resolution (or an integer away).

Kevtris could do us better--he historically has, anyway. It is definitely well into the 'diminishing returns' world of paying more for minor quality improvements, though. I can't really say I'd rather see a system I'm super familiar with get the FPGA treatment over more obscure systems that I haven't fully experienced.

I will say that in terms of running gameboy and gameboy color, the previous two Analogue systems already have the market cornered for being the best ways to play them, and really only seem to compete with each other for my attention. Heck, when I'm doing game boy, I'll often flip between them in the same session depending on the game's sgb support.

The AGS-101 screen on the original GBA is my preferred method for playing for GB games portably.

The slight motion blur doesn't bother me. It's nowhere near as bad as the original GB systems, which I grew up playing, or even the PSP 1000.

I like the Micro, but it's just not practical for me. No support for GB or GBC game carts was a bummer and it's nearly impossible to play games with extensive text for any length of time. After getting the modded GBA I put my Micro away for good.

GBA_Special_20th_Anniversary_Edition-01.

MLIG shows the slight ghosting on AGS-101 screens here https://youtu.be/BjtD1mOZlPc?t=496

But if you've gone from the original GBA, AGS-001, or even the DS (fat), the screen will look stunning, and should impress..

GBA-AGS101-04-vgo.jpg

GBA-AGS101-SMB2-08.jpg

GBA-AGS101-SMB2-03.jpg

GBA-AGS101-SMB2-05.jpg

I think it's a small trade off to get the full Game Boy legacy support, and the perfect ergonomic sized hardware, with a beautiful and bright display. Unlike the SP, you get a real 3.5mm headphone jack, and can use rechargeable AA batteries, which last way longer than you'd expect them to!

GBA-AGS101-05-vgo.jpg

As far as Game Boy games on the big screen go, I enjoy playing original Game Boy on the Super Game Boy 2 + Super NT, as well as on a stock SNES on a Wega CRT via HDRetrovision YPbPR component cables. I also play GBC and GBA on the GC w/ GB Player + Extrems' Game Boy Interface. That looks much better than the stock Nintendo GB Player software. It can force either 240p (perfect for scalers+HD or CRTs). I'm lucky to have bought a pair of Nintendo's component cables when they were only $29.99.

• Like 2

Regarding the inability to save your game while running the highly regarded The Legend of Link hack (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2136/) on the jailbroken Nt Mini,

GreyRogue left this comment about getting it work with MiSTer: "Saving will not work, as it doesn't use the typical save RAM address. I need to decide how to handle this (probably just change the mapper to match the others)."

(source: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34603&sid=c2bc443e0bbde5c08ac004d7ac8c8811#p357268)

I know Kevtris is very busy, but wanted to mention this in case he ever comes back to it.

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 2

Mega Sg question--will it run PAL games right?

I have always loved Micro Machines, and probably the best one on Mega Drive, Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96, is a PAL exclusive.

Additionally, when I imported it, it ran on my Genesis, but not too surprisingly, it ran too fast. It turns out that I'm simply not good enough to play it that way. Will there finally be a way for me to play the game at the right speed with the Mega Sg?

8pVbKllm.jpg?1

Edited by Reaperman

I have always loved Micro Machines, and probably the best one on Mega Drive, Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96, is a PAL exclusive.

Additionally, when I imported it, it ran on my Genesis, but not too surprisingly, it ran too fast. It turns out that I'm simply not good enough to play it that way. Will there finally be a way for me to play the game at the right speed with the Mega Sg?

8pVbKllm.jpg?1

If we use the Super Nt as a prediction of the Mega Sg's abilities, you should have no worries about being able to play PAL games at their proper speed. Japanese/Non-Japanese region selection and NTSC/PAL speed should be independently selectable in the Mega Sg.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 2

Nice break down visually there of the micro and the 101 panel there. I have to admit I think it's a whining for looking to have reasons to whine about the 101 panel more than anything. Sure a few people it could bother, but more it's the whole sheeple effect, those who cling on that want that reason to complain. Either system the Micro or the 101 panel in its thing or cobbled into the original GBA frame are excellent choices.

If you're using all virgin original carts, you're going to have to ignore the Micro if you like old GB/GBC games. But given the fact the hardware is already in there anyway on the micro, it's kind of a crap move to remove the old games other than they'd really stick out badly. But, if you're fine using a cheap or not flash kit (Omega, everdrive, anything in the last 15 years with USB) and just use the GOOMBA COLOR emulator (simulator really) you can get all those nice GB and GBC games running from a ROM menu on a GBA style cart. I have the Omega so I can go whatever way works.

I've not had a 101 in an original for a couple years now. I mean I could do it, I do have a glacier I could do the work on but I'm just leery after doing one and having it break on me after just a few weeks. I didn't cut the inside well, stress led to pressure, and a 3ft drop to carpet cracked the LCD which was such a waste. I just don't really need it as i have 3 SPs (NES, Cobalt Blue w/101, and a beater pearl blue 101) and then 2 micros (spotless famicom, and a user black/silver model.) And this doesn't even crack into my like of using period hardware as I've got a Color, a couple pockets, a couple DMGs, and even a GB Light too. I'm aware of all the versions limitations and all that, and I can say the whole 101 vs GBM is more of a comfort issue than a one better over the other, and not just eye but hand comfort.

Even with me having a good selection of GBs from the years, I'd still ove an analogue NT handheld that did GB+GBC, Advance would be nice but not really necessary as the options for it already are more than good enough, but old 8bit GB the hardware on any are lacking in various ways.

8pVbKllm.jpg?1

I can't help but wonder if those extra controller ports would even work. It's seems odd to me that they added more ports to the cartridge and any other system that started with only 2 ports just uses a multitap accessory (NES, PC-E/TG-16, SNES, Saturn, PS1/2).

I can't help but wonder if those extra controller ports would even work. It's seems odd to me that they added more ports to the cartridge and any other system that started with only 2 ports just uses a multitap accessory (NES, PC-E/TG-16, SNES, Saturn, PS1/2).

The biggest problem I'd imagine with them would be tugging a controller cable enough to shift the cart and freeze the game.

Most highly multiplayer sega genesis/md games used adapters in the controller ports, but there were at least a couple manufacturers of those. EA had the 4-way play, sega had the team player, and I don't believe they were all compatible with each other, so these odd 'j-carts' might have been seen as a less confusing option.

Edited by Reaperman

8pVbKllm.jpg?1

I have two PAL exclusive Megadrive games, Psycho Pinball and Micro Machines II. Both run fine on my NA 60hz Genesis. I also got "Mario Bros Classic Serie" PAL exclusive port of Mario Bros NES. Pitch is slightly sharp running on NTSC NES but gameplay is proper speed at 60Hz.

Most PAL games weren't ever optimized so you'll get an inferior experience playing at 50Hz. The PAL Mario 3-in-1 (one of the few 50hz optimized games I own) is a trip playing on NTSC hardware though.

The biggest problem I'd imagine with them would be tugging a controller cable enough to shift the cart and freeze the game.

Most highly multiplayer sega genesis/md games used adapters in the controller ports, but there were at least a couple manufacturers of those. EA had the 4-way play, sega had the team player, and I don't believe they were all compatible with each other, so these odd 'j-carts' might have been seen as a less confusing option.

You gotta cram a folded up sheet of paper behind the cart to act as a wedge preventing movement of the cart pins. I used to do this with my old n64. I still do when playing Super Famicom carts in my NA SNES (busted out tabs).

That was an issue with Sega not providing an official multitap, then letting other companies release their own stuff before providing an official 1st party solution. I rarely ever get one friend over to play with as an adult, forget finding three friends who are all interested in playjng the same retro game... :P

A similar isdue happened on both systems with the 3rd party lightguns as well. Konami's Lethal Enforcers was not compatible with the either the Sega Menacer or the Nintendo Super Scope on it's respective consoles.

• Like 1

I have two PAL exclusive Megadrive games, Psycho Pinball and Micro Machines II.

May want to recheck micro machines 2, per (this thread) it runs fast, though the music does not.

It would be a little odd if 2 ran right, but 96 ran fast. 96 does seem to run fine outside of the speed, though.

Edited by Reaperman

May want to recheck micro machines 2, per (this thread) it runs fast, though the music does not.

It would be a little odd if 2 ran right, but 96 ran fast. 96 does seem to run fine outside of the speed, though.

Wait, Micro Machines II isn't '96? :???:

How many MM releases for Genesis/Megadrive?

8pVbKllm.jpg?1

Analogues site says it will play PAL and is compatible with mega drive games. My concern is the master system core, as the NT Mini core currently only supports NTSC which is quite a small catalogue of games. Hopefully it will have been updated.

Edited by Radfoo

You gotta cram a folded up sheet of paper behind the cart to act as a wedge preventing movement of the cart pins. I used to do this with my old n64. I still do when playing Super Famicom carts in my NA SNES (busted out tabs).

That was an issue with Sega not providing an official multitap, then letting other companies release their own stuff before providing an official 1st party solution. I rarely ever get one friend over to play with as an adult, forget finding three friends who are all interested in playjng the same retro game... :P

A similar isdue happened on both systems with the 3rd party lightguns as well. Konami's Lethal Enforcers was not compatible with the either the Sega Menacer or the Nintendo Super Scope on it's respective consoles.

My SNES has busted out tabs but I have no issues with Super Famicom games. They're are as solid as the SNES games. In fact they barely move at all. Maybe your SNES's cartridge port is looser than mine.

• Like 1

Analogues site says it will play PAL and is compatible with mega drive games. My concern is the master system core, as the NT Mini core currently only supports NTSC which is quite a small catalogue of games. Hopefully it will have been updated.

Pretty sure most PAL SMS games ran fine on NTSC hardware, though exceptions exist. Wasn't there a similar issue with Atari 8-bit computers?