1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

That's exactly why I do NOT buy their games. I find their model self serving and very infuriating. There have been a couple games they published I would have liked a crack at awhile back, but you basically had to be online at the time, and get through everyone slamming for the goodies. I had a feeling it wouldn't work and there would be the obvious end game of it, and it was. Expensive ebay troll listings to pay for the right to have the game for a premium, and then your shelf queen collector types who bought and shelved the stuff since they could play the digital game. A total lose lose in my book. Some have made it to retail as they started to partner with Best Buy I saw, but the prices there seemed to not be great and not really what I was after either so it was like some salt and lemon into a cut as far as how I felt about it. It's nice they do some open preorder stuff now, that kind of cuts back, but if you can't afford it at the time or you're too busy, it kind of sucks as there's the pressure of get it now or likely not at all going on which isn't nice either.

I was able to secure #013 Yooka-Laylee, missed out on #021 Shantae Pirate's Curse. Both "digital" games I backed on Kickstarter (but wanted physical as well)... :sad:

You are absolutely right though, their business model is flawed. They claim they run preorders for a limited time window then round up to the nearest thousand units when doing Switch Physical preorders.

Well if they wanted to, they could do second runs. Just reopen preorders for however long it takes to meet the production quota for another run. If the quota is not reached within some span of time, orders are cancelled and customers are not charged. Customers are free to ancel anytime before the quota is met and order place. That way people could place "second chance" preorders on games they missed. Popular titles would get faster turnarounds on preorders where slow moving titles might take some time.

Of course this might piss off shelf collectors if games get restocked, hurting potential investment value. I say "bah humbug" to anyone expecting to collect games with the goal of future resale or bragging rights rather than play. Just look what happened with Amiibo. :roll:

• Like 1

Not necessarily. They've experimented with larger quantities and it often doesn't translate to larger sales due to reduced collector interest.

To be clear, I'm not saying I agree with their business model or like it. Just that more availability/quantity doesn't mean more sales for a lot of the games they sell.

I'm aware they did this, but there is a middle ground they seem to purposely choose to ignore that has worked very well in the past and present, BE LIKE ATLUS. You take a niche game (which is what they're doing with digital to physical) and you do say a run of 10K copies or so, once they sell through you look how much complaining and requesting went online and off, plus how fast that first run went out the door, and you do another run of equal or smaller/larger value based upon that. Atlus has done this and it both retains the value of their games better than many other third parties titles, but also keeps them from making too many and sitting on taxable costly inventory stocks which no one wants. Doing that, they could run more games and fit the demand periodically so the only people in the end getting screwed are those who choose to pay a scalper who can't wait for more at least in the relatively shorter term.

I was able to secure #013 Yooka-Laylee, missed out on #021 Shantae Pirate's Curse. Both "digital" games I backed on Kickstarter (but wanted physical as well)... :sad:

You are absolutely right though, their business model is flawed. They claim they run preorders for a limited time window then round up to the nearest thousand units when doing Switch Physical preorders.

Well if they wanted to, they could do second runs. Just reopen preorders for however long it takes to meet the production quota for another run. If the quota is not reached within some span of time, orders are cancelled and customers are not charged. Customers are free to ancel anytime before the quota is met and order place. That way people could place "second chance" preorders on games they missed. Popular titles would get faster turnarounds on preorders where slow moving titles might take some time.

Of course this might piss off shelf collectors if games get restocked, hurting potential investment value. I say "bah humbug" to anyone expecting to collect games with the goal of future resale or bragging rights rather than play. Just look what happened with Amiibo. :roll:

You know those 2 I think were the ones I was thinking of getting but couldn't at the time, though YL I didn't care for the price much either against online values at GoG sales pushing 50% off or more by then. I also was considering Golf Story too, but never could really investigate it enough at the time to see if I really wanted it around conflicting information I found about the game and how it played. So in the end I'm at 0 for 3 (or more?) on their stuff I didn't buy. If they would pull as I said in the quote above, the ATLUS way of shoveling out stock to guard them yet still seed proper supply I would buy something. Your model works too, it's like Atlus, but on a pre-interest basis instead of doing more research internally and just going with a run of things. If it pisses off monetary based collectors I mean really F-them, it's about the games, and getting them to play and have fun first. Sure you have your money valuing shelf queens, but they should have no right to dictate the market as these things aren't made over months or years to just stay wrapped up in a cellophane condom on the shelf so they're protected.

• Like 2

Don't judge me.

GALF.jpg

Is this the lighter colored one? I tried to get that one since they made about half as many of them but the website crapped out on me so I had to get the green one. I ask because mine doesn't have that white circle in the lower left. I assume that indicates the cartridge color?

Edited by Toth

Hey, was wondering, is there any chance this works on Super NT ? http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/182237808664

Yes and No. Keep reading for a more technical explanation.

Depends on what you mean by works?

These things are mostly self contained. They only use the console for power and controller access.

These devices feature a cartridge containing a complete system-on-a-chip that pulls controller input from the cartridge port and dumps composite + L/R audio output through a trrs jack in the back.

Certain snes clone systems such as Retrobit will also pass the a/v signal to the rca jacks in the rear of the console (or embedded screen for portables) so that you don't need to use the spare jack in the side of the cart to pass the video.

Here's a crappy video of myself playing GBA games on the Super NT using such a device. I imagine the NES ones should work similarly. Note there is no means for the Super NT to actually pass "composite" video from the cartridge to the HDMI port (though it does pass the audio) as it lacks the necessary upscalar hardware to do so, so I routed the video signal externally to my crt. It functions quite flawlessly on my dual display setup. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqvcodUN64w

yeah, I did know about those, but this one works on their portable HDMI system too (which I had never seen before lol) but I guess it does work because it's designed to work only with this. ^^''

The so-called "portable hdmi" systems are one of two things: a clone chip with an upscaler or an emulator with a dumper.

A retron-like device could use a pin adapter to interface a different cartridge form factor, then send the dumped rom to the appropriate emulator.

An FPGA could in theory do the same thing by swapping cores.

Dedicated hardware cannot play carts from other systems without loads of dedicated gardware crammed into the cart. It is plausible an hd emulator / dumper system might use pin adapters. I literally just took one look at the devicevand assumed it was the same tech as those Detro Duo handhelds.

The GBA-on-a-chip used in the Advance Retro Port is fairly hard to find now as it seems to be discontinued, but the Game Cube GB Player is imo a better solution for playing GBA games, and an hdmi dongle exists for DOL-001 models.

Quick question.

Is it possible to turn the SuperNT to a writer kiosk for the SF memory cassettes?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-SF-Memory-Cassette-Cartridge-Parodius-Puyo-Puyo-Super-Famicom-JPN/132923077492?hash=item1ef2d53374:g:~O4AAOSw88hamIYF:rk:1:pf:0

Is it hard or impossible to implement? Suppose there is no or little documentation how those kiosks worked.

My understanding is that they wrote via the cartridge port?

8bitDo just announced a Bluetooth version of their Genesis M30 controller and retro receiver. Analogue promotes the 2.4ghz version on their site alongside the Mega Sg. I have the 2.4ghz version preordered with Amazon, but I am thinking of getting the Bluetooth receiver and their 6-button Genesis controller Bluetooth DIY kit to use on one of my old controllers...

Which version would be better?

I'd wager the 2.4ghz will be better for singular Mega SG/Sega Genesis/SMS gaming.

The Bluetooth dongle & DIY should be just as good, but it also opens up the opportunity to use a DIY controller on any combination of Mega SG, Super NT (with SN receiver), NT Mini/AVS/NES (with NES receiver), Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Nintendo Switch, Phone, PC/emulators, MacOSX, Raspberry Pi, MiSTer, Atari 2600 (?), and a few other devices. I have a 6 button DIY and have successfully used it on every single device listed above, outside of the Sega Genesis/SMS & Atari 2600, which would need the dongle that's releasing soon. Not only that, but the dongle also allows for OTHER controllers to be used on the Genesis/SMS, such as PS3, PS4, Xbox 360/One, Switch Pro and a smattering of other controllers as well.

If you want a solid connection for Sega Genesis & Mega SG, get the 2.4ghz M30 set. If you want a controller that can be used on most any device with a bluetooth connection, get the bluetooth DIY kit (or the bluetooth M30).

Edited by Sho
  • Like 1

Quick question.

Is it possible to turn the SuperNT to a writer kiosk for the SF memory cassettes?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-SF-Memory-Cassette-Cartridge-Parodius-Puyo-Puyo-Super-Famicom-JPN/132923077492?hash=item1ef2d53374:g:~O4AAOSw88hamIYF:rk:1:pf:0

Is it hard or impossible to implement? Suppose there is no or little documentation how those kiosks worked.

My understanding is that they wrote via the cartridge port?

There is lots of information about the Nintendo Power SF cartridge now, it was reverse engineered a couple of years ago : http://problemkaputt.de/fullsnes.htm#snescartnintendopowerflashcard

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11453

8bitDo just announced a Bluetooth version of their Genesis M30 controller and retro receiver. Analogue promotes the 2.4ghz version on their site alongside the Mega Sg. I have the 2.4ghz version preordered with Amazon, but I am thinking of getting the Bluetooth receiver and their 6-button Genesis controller Bluetooth DIY kit to use on one of my old controllers...

Which version would be better?

Nice. If it's as well done as their SNES controller, I'll be getting one for sure for Android emulation.

I'm not dumping my Amazon preorder for the "2.4Ghz" controller. I bundled the preorder with some unrelated stuff (which I've long since received) and if I cancelled it, it would bring my total to less than $25 so I'd eat the shipping surcharge on my free super saver discount.

Besides, I don't plan on using the controller with anything but Genesis and/or Mega SG, so I'm good. Adopting Sega's six button layout to Nintendo/Sony's diamond pad and visa versa is awkward at best.

I am wondering if 8bitdo have a 3/6 button mode option for the 2.4Ghz wireless controllers, for those games like Tengen MsPacman and others that go berzerk with 6-button controllers inserted. "Hold mode during power on" doesn't work well when you have to sync it. :P

So.. When in April do you think we will see reviews of the Mega Sg?

With a scheduled release date of APRIL 2019, and with it being just a few days 'til February, it's coming upon us very quickly!

2_Mega_Sg_Hero_2.0.jpg

The Analogue Super NT was released in February 2018, and we were treated the the excellent MLiG Super NT review on February 7th, 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OW_t9RXEM

I kind of wish we could get a few more tidbits of info on it while we wait, but I understand that Kevin and Analogue are probably in "crunch time" ATM, with the focus on getting it out on schedule.

I haven't been this excited for a new console since the Super NT. :)

• Like 1

Speaing of announcements, is there any chance of getting a pack in for Mega SG?

Super Turrican DX was announced on October 23, 2017, according to Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/analogue-adds-unreleased-snes-game-to-its-super-nt-hardware/

Everything is still mum however with less than one month till release... :P

Speaing of announcements, is there any chance of getting a pack in for Mega SG?

Super Turrican DX was announced on October 23, 2017, according to Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/analogue-adds-unreleased-snes-game-to-its-super-nt-hardware/

Everything is still mum however with less than one month till release... :P

I mean, it could be close to two months till release; as in late April.

That would be 3 months: Feb, March, April

Yeah, my math was bad. The "pack in" game seems like wishful thinking at this point. :dunce:

I would like some clarification on the operation of the pin adapters. Will the Analogue SMS adapter work like a Power Base Mini on real hardware? Will I get FM sound through a standard adapter if I use the Powerbase Mini with the Analogue? When will the Game Gear adapters come out? I've bought several games in anticipation. Hopefully the $10 adapters don't cost $20+ to ship... :dunce: