1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I bought 2 of the 2.4GHz 8Bitdo M30 controllers and I'm having major issues with both. 8BitdoM302.4g_GenesisController-vgo-08.j

They take a while to connect and then after connecting they will stop responding, then move to about 3 seconds on their own in whichever direction was last pressed.

See video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTQRVUlqERs

8BitdoM302.4g_GenesisController-vgo-07.j

**UPDATE**

I have some good news here for those of us who bought the defective 8BitDo M30 2.4g controllers. (I personally bought 3 of them. 2 black, 1 white). 8BitDo got in contact with me and sent me a beta 2.0 FW which completely fixes the connection problems. I've been testing them out since last night and haven't noticed a single disconnect or latency issue. I'm very happy with them now.

Since I know others are having this specific problem, and since 8BitDo has not yet made this FW available on their website (as of today anyway), I'm hosting the file on my website. **Though for legal reasons, use at your own risk** I've updated 3 controllers and 3 receivers and they are all working great.

Just make sure you are copying the correct .DAT file to the correct controller or receiver. They are labeled as such. **You will need a micro screwdriver to take the receiver shell apart. I used a philips head micro screwdriver from a glasses repair kit**

8BitDoM30Receiver-01.jpg

8BitDoM30Receiver-02.jpg

Easy to follow instructions are included in the zip file.

Why put a home button on that controller specifically if it can't do anything?

Probably to ensure better compatibility when connected to other systems such as the Switch.

It would be nice if there is a way for the Mega Sg to access them for UI stuff though.

Edited by spoonman
  • Like 1

**UPDATE**

I have some good news here for those of us who bought the defective 8BitDo M30 2.4g controllers. (I personally bought 3 of them. 2 black, 1 white). 8BitDo got in contact with me and sent me a beta 2.0 FW which completely fixes the connection problems. I've been testing them out since last night and haven't noticed a single disconnect or latency issue. I'm very happy with them now.

Since I know others are having this specific problem, and since 8BitDo has not yet made this FW available on their website (as of today anyway), I'm hosting the file on my website. **Though for legal reasons, use at your own risk** I've updated 3 controllers and 3 receivers and they are all working great.

Just make sure you are copying the correct .DAT file to the correct controller or receiver. They are labeled as such. **You will need a micro screwdriver to take the receiver shell apart. I used a philips head micro screwdriver from a glasses repair kit**

8BitDoM30Receiver-01.jpg

8BitDoM30Receiver-02.jpg

Probably to ensure better compatibility when connected to other systems such as the Switch.

It would be nice if there is a way for the Mega Sg to access them for UI stuff though.

What program did you use to view the readme files? When I extract the zip and open them with word pad or notepad all I see is this:

A8DlvKV.jpg

aJDCSgZ.jpg

EDIT- Opening the files with Google Docs worked. Microsoft Word would probably work too but I don't use Office.

Edited by Toth
  • Like 1

Reading the manual of the MegaSG is an exercise in self-pleasuring (with no hands at that) ... literally .... kevtris even accounted for the differences among the discrete and integrated FM chip. He added support for FM sound on SMS games, correct resolution for EU Codemasters games (and I couldn't expect any less from master-blaster kevtris) and even various heuristics to trigger in order to replicate blending on MD games (Sonic waterfall, Lords of Thunder bottom "shadows" on many flying fortresses ).... I really want to see the results of all that work (hence why I decide to pay for it).

Only minor note ... I personally do not like the way it looks on a MegaCD/SegaCD (I/II) setup ... someone should build a plastic enclosure to rectify the situation (an extender for the CD connector would be appropriate as well as making the MegaSG sit on the far side if needs be) ... it should not look like a mere concession but as if it was meant to to be from day 1 ... you know what I mean. I surely appreciate that it even allows it, I was just hoping for something that looked a little more ... "integrated" so to speak (plastic is cheap, milled aluminum not so much ;) ).

EDIT: you cannot not appreciate a developer (kevtris) with such a love for the systems he's replicating who goes to such an extent as to simulating different FM chips behaviors, accounting for weird VDP features for a back compat system etc.. ... I think I can buy the next 5 kevtris designed systems with my eyes closed and be certain they'll amaze me ... and yes I reckon I just pledged around 1K US$ for future systems I know nothing about ... oh well.

• Like 1

Seeing the A-SG, fastened atop a model-1 CD system - that's just adorable, some=how, in a mama-turtle sort of way. :D

Where was a photo of the Mega Sg connected to a Sega CD unit posted?

.. even various heuristics to trigger in order to replicate blending on MD games (Sonic waterfall, Lords of Thunder bottom "shadows" on many flying fortresses ).... I really want to see the results of all that work (hence why I decide to pay for it).

"Blending", as in the ability to smooth the dithering, which was was used through RF/composite to fake transparencies and shadows? I hope so because unlike the SNES, the Gen/MD uses this effect quite often. It would definitely be a welcome optional setting.

Was there any word on when the Mega Sg cartridge adapters would be made available for pre-order or for sale? I'd like to get one of each.

Is there any chance that we will get optional CPU overclocking for games? I've seen it effective in games like Sonic 2 where getting hit and losing your rings keeps the game from slowing way down. Or when playing Super Hang-On to increase the frame rate.

Edited by spoonman

"Blending", as in the ability to smooth the dithering, which was was used through RF/composite to fake transparencies and shadows? I hope so because unlike the SNES, the Gen/MD uses this effect quite often. It would definitely be a welcome optional setting.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360023862112/Analogue_Mega_Sg_Reference_Manual_v1.2.pdf

check page 12/23 "Extra Features" Dithering (3rd paragraph) .... pure awesomesauce .... we need to see the results but I'm already sold on it, that's how deep/good/thorough kevtris is.

post-36731-0-03274800-1552889041.jpg

EDIT: wrt

Where was a photo of the Mega Sg connected to a Sega CD unit posted?

post-36731-0-22505100-1552888790_thumb.jpg

post-36731-0-80279900-1552888796_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360023862112/Analogue_Mega_Sg_Reference_Manual_v1.2.pdfcheck page 12/23 "Extra Features" Dithering (3rd paragraph) .... pure awesomesauce .... we need to see the results but I'm already sold on it, that's how deep/good/thorough kevtris is.

Interesting. That sounds an awful lot like the GDAPT shader. Which, is actually something I inquired about back in January. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/?p=4196523

It seems to have pretty good results depending on the game. I'm definitely interested to see some examples of it on the Mega Sg.

**UPDATE**

8BitDoM30Receiver-01.jpg

8BitDoM30Receiver-02.jpg

Thanks for that. Working a treat now. ;-)

Edited by RetrogamerX
  • Like 1

Though I like the look of the SG, those pics of it connected to a Sega CD makes the setup look very slapdash, even if functional. The original Sega CD model 2 had an adapter attachment to fit a Genesis/Mega Drive Model 1 which was removed if using the model 2. I wonder if there is a market for an adapter for the MegaSG to look sleek with a CD 2 unit. In design, I'd move the SG flush with the rear left. This would leave the rear HDMI and power ports unblocked as well as the SD card slot on the left. What would be needed is an extension connector for the SG and CD to connect (straight or floppy/ribbon type) and probably simple controller port extensions to connect flush with the front of the CD base. At that point, controller extensions should go the route of a "4 way play" or Sega's "Team Player - Multi-Player Adapter" to allow some of those EA games, etc. to play with a group. That would also add value to an otherwise aesthetic and stability only peripheral in my hypothetical world. :)

... or, maybe a future firmware update that includes loading bin/cue Sega CD built in and be done with it.

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking!

Maybe this is a Kevtris question: if the MegaSG uses the same FPGA board as the Mister project, could one technically open the hardware, remove the board, flash some firmware and be up and running as a Mister (minus some SDRam addon)? That's more a question of concept than actual plans to do so. Is the FPGA board in the SG the same in functionality but a different custom build or form factor? The technical differences interest me.

Alternatively, if Kevtris is under contract or agreement to not release other cores, it would be cool to still play some Mister-ported cores. Is that theoretically possible if a future firmware supports it?

Maybe this is a Kevtris question: if the MegaSG uses the same FPGA board as the Mister project, could one technically open the hardware, remove the board, flash some firmware and be up and running as a Mister (minus some SDRam addon)? That's more a question of concept than actual plans to do so. Is the FPGA board in the SG the same in functionality but a different custom build or form factor? The technical differences interest me.

Alternatively, if Kevtris is under contract or agreement to not release other cores, it would be cool to still play some Mister-ported cores. Is that theoretically possible if a future firmware supports it?

The FPGA in the DE-10 dev board MiSTer uses is like a $250 part on its own its just subsidized on the De-10 Nano Dev board. Mega SG uses the same FPGA that was used in the Super NT which is a lot cheaper.

Though I like the look of the SG, those pics of it connected to a Sega CD makes the setup look very slapdash, even if functional. The original Sega CD model 2 had an adapter attachment to fit a Genesis/Mega Drive Model 1 which was removed if using the model 2. I wonder if there is a market for an adapter for the MegaSG to look sleek with a CD 2 unit. In design, I'd move the SG flush with the rear left. This would leave the rear HDMI and power ports unblocked as well as the SD card slot on the left. What would be needed is an extension connector for the SG and CD to connect (straight or floppy/ribbon type) and probably simple controller port extensions to connect flush with the front of the CD base. At that point, controller extensions should go the route of a "4 way play" or Sega's "Team Player - Multi-Player Adapter" to allow some of those EA games, etc. to play with a group. That would also add value to an otherwise aesthetic and stability only peripheral in my hypothetical world. :)

... or, maybe a future firmware update that includes loading bin/cue Sega CD built in and be done with it.

I'd love to see a solution for the Sega CD where you could connect a generic off the shelf USB CD/DVDROM drive to the Mega Sg and have it handle the extra Motorola 68K, etc., in core.

Those drives are dirt cheap ($15-$20) and tiny. They would fit nicely next to, or under the Sg. They often come in black or white, so they could also match your Sg.

b8af994f-594f-4679-8021-4a2b0f80f85f_1.7

Let's face it. Sega CD units will break down long before Genesis/MD systems will. I know my model 1 probably won't last much longer. Prices on both the model 1 and model 2 CD united have also gone up considerably. Unless you want to buy an "untested" one from eBay, which is basically just another way if saying it's broken, in most cases anyway.

Something like that would be incredible IMO.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a solution for the Sega CD where you could connect a generic off the shelf USB CD/DVDROM drive to the Mega Sg and have it handle the extra Motorola 68K, etc., in core.

Those drives are dirt cheap ($15-$20) and tiny. They would fit nicely next to, or under the Sg. They often come in black or white, so they could also match your Sg.

b8af994f-594f-4679-8021-4a2b0f80f85f_1.7

Let's face it. Sega CD units will break down long before Genesis/MD systems will. I know my model 1 probably won't last much longer. Prices on both the model 1 and model 2 CD united have also gone up considerably. Unless you want to buy an "untested" one from eBay, which is basically just another way if saying it's broken, in most cases anyway.

Something like that would be incredible IMO.

I believe Kevtris explained before this project ever was announced, that Sega Genesis + Sega CD on the same fpga was out of reach with current affordable fpga boards (Edit: Here's one such post).

Hopefully Analogue and Kevtris are still partnering when the technology catches up someday, since I'm sure most of us would love to upgrade to a system with built in 32X support and the ability to play Sega CD games off SD card.

Pretty common even on the Super Nintendo. Even a sizable amount of the 1st party lineup uses the technique like Super Mario World (Check out the hills in the background on some levels), some of F-Zero's backgrounds, and of course Star Fox.

Hoping Kevtris finds some time somehow to update the Super NT feature set with some of his improvements for the Mega SG. I'd like to see this dithering solution brought to the Super NT even if just for Star Fox (I can't think of an example otherwise where the technique stands out like a sore thumb on the Super NT) and I'm sure some would like to see his improved scan lines which I believe were announced as being worked on pre-Mega SG.

Edited by Atariboy

I believe Kevtris explained before this project ever was announced, that Sega Genesis + Sega CD on the same fpga was out of reach with current affordable fpga boards (Edit: Here's one such post).

Hopefully Analogue and Kevtris are still partnering when the technology catches up someday, since I'm sure most of us would love to upgrade to a system with built in 32X support and the ability to play Sega CD games off SD card.

Pretty common even on the Super Nintendo. Even a sizable amount of the 1st party lineup uses the technique like Super Mario World (Check out the hills in the background on some levels), some of F-Zero's backgrounds, and of course Star Fox.

Hoping Kevtris finds some time somehow to update the Super NT feature set with some of his improvements for the Mega SG. I'd like to see this dithering solution brought to the Super NT even if just for Star Fox (I can't think of an example otherwise where the technique stands out like a sore thumb on the Super NT) and I'm sure some would like to see his improved scan lines which I believe were announced as being worked on pre-Mega SG.

I'd love it if they made the GB/GBC core available for the SNT, but I understand if that's asking too much. At the very least, I hope kevtris can come up with a new screen mode that makes the Super Gameboy window take up a larger portion if the screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

**UPDATE**

8BitDoM30Receiver-01.jpg

8BitDoM30Receiver-02.jpg

Thanks, will give it a try.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I realized the other day that I didn't have the box for that director's cut of Super Turrican. Did later runs of the Super NT not include it?

I just got mine today and almost tossed the artwork. It's not in the Super Nt box because the box isn't big enough. There's a separate cardstock envelope in the shipping container with a pull tab to open it that contains the box.