1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Couldn't tell you how "exact" it is. But Stella is more "feature rich" and versatile and configurable. In the face of all these failed FPGA consoles like Retroblox from PlayMistake and stuff, MiSTer is gaining ground rapidly. That's great for an open-source platform. And it's here, now, today, and real. So that's a huge advantage.

Why not ask this question in the Emulation forum? Non-Analogue stuff in this thread is likely to be overlooked or simply ignored. In the meantime there's plenty of youtube videos showing the MiSTer core at work.

I have no interest in MiSTer what's so ever, I like the way Analogue's does hardware. After Mega Sg I'll be looking forward to there next project.

Sure thing!

So, were you experiencing the same issues as I was (as seen in the vid)?

If so I am pretty sure this will totally fix the issues. I've been using mine after the 2.0 FW update now and they have been perfect. I really like these controllers now.

Also, just make sure you are using the correct BIN file for the correct thing

"V2.00_RR(190312).dat" for the Retro Receiver and "V2.00_GamePad(190312).dat" for the controller. It's pretty straight forward, but I almost mixed them up at first while hurrying through.

Just wanted to be prepared for the worst, ordered my mega SG last night, controller has been here just waiting

• Like 1

To anyone that has used a MiSTer with the Atari 2600 core, how exact is it?

It it as good as say the stella emulator or does it still need work?

Thanks!

Wouldn't it be more apples to apples to compare it to Kevtris' 2600 Core on the NT Mini rather than to an emulator (even an awesome one like Stella)?

Wouldn't it be more apples to apples to compare it to Kevtris' 2600 Core on the NT Mini rather than to an emulator (even an awesome one like Stella)?

It would be, but it wouldn't help me as I've never had the pleasure of using Kevtris' 2600 core. It would definitely be my first choice for sure but I don't have an NT mini and when they go up on ebay they are priced around $1,600. Kevtris does amazing work but the MiSTer is a more economical choice than $1,600. Stella seems to me to be very accurate, but I don't have to sell this crowd on the benefits of FPGA! :) From what I can tell many of the cores on the MiSTer are WIP and some are more baked than others. It's such a shame that the system that Kevtris release so many cores for is no longer available from analogue. I really wish I hadn't been late to the party.

I cant believe Im saying this but emulation vs FPGA me doesnt matter soooo much when it comes to the Atari 2600. I care a ton about it for the NES, SNES, and Genesis as the experience is absolutely hobbled IMO by factors such as terrible audio quality, input lag, etc. But I actually dont see a huuuge benefit of FPGA over emulation for Atari 2600. I can take it or leave it...

Being an owner of an actual Atari 2600 and a Raspberry Pi I much prefer playing on the Pi for the good visuals. The sound is great and if theres input lag I havent noticed. Maybe cuz Atari games are just so simplistic and its a system I dont hold in the highest regard to care to have it super accurate.

But thats just me.

However if Analogue were to release another device that could do Atari 2600 and a few other systems like Intellivison (aka a new NT mini) Id go for it if it were under $200 US. Mainly to get other systems with it too that I have no access to other than emulation.

So yeah. If an NT mini 2 came out Id say eh might as well and pull the trigger. Happy to support Kevtris and his work and the amazing quality company that is Analogue.

Edited by brentonius

I cant believe Im saying this but emulation vs FPGA me doesnt matter soooo much when it comes to the Atari 2600. I care a ton about it for the NES, SNES, and Genesis as the experience is absolutely hobbled IMO by factors such as terrible audio quality, input lag, etc. But I actually dont see a huuuge benefit of FPGA over emulation for Atari 2600. I can take it or leave it...

Being an owner of an actual Atari 2600 and a Raspberry Pi I much prefer playing on the Pi for the good visuals. The sound is great and if theres input lag I havent noticed. Maybe cuz Atari games are just so simplistic and its a system I dont hold in the highest regard to care to have it super accurate.

But thats just me.

However if Analogue were to release another device that could do Atari 2600 and a few other systems like Intellivison (aka a new NT mini) Id go for it if it were under $200 US. Mainly to get other systems with it too that I have no access to other than emulation.

So yeah. If an NT mini 2 came out Id say eh might as well and pull the trigger. Happy to support Kevtris and his work and the amazing quality company that is Analogue.

Well, Mega Sg will play 2 of these consoles covered by Nt Mini using cart adapters: Master system and Game Gear.

I think cart adapters is a very good solution for a couple of reasons:

Keeps Analogue legal and far from trouble with gaming companies, because it only plays "officially" original carts. Of course it will play counterfeit and unofficial cartridges but that is not Analougue problem!; :P

It's a way to Analogue make some money for releasing these cores. A way back in this thread we were discussing how Analougue could sell a core in the Core Store®. I think most of us will happily pay for a cart adapter including a 8 bits core for use with Super Nt or Mega Sg. I my opinion even more than the $ 10 dollars that Analogue announce for SMS/GG/SG-1000. Releasing the adapters with cores costs money and Analogue should and can charge for it; :thumbsup:

It will permits people with original carts collection to keep playing with brand new hardware; :)

Probably we will get a jailbroken firmware as NT mini from an unknown person allowing to load games from SD cards. :grin:

Keeps Analogue legal and far from trouble with gaming companies, because it only plays "officially" original carts. Of course it will play counterfeit and unofficial cartridges but that is not Analougue problem!; :P

Sega Genesis and Sega's other console systems are in the public domain now that the patents are all expired. It's as much Analogue's property these days as it is Sega's. So no legal issue there, even if Analogue openly supported the loading of roms via SD card.

It's trademarks and copyrights from that era that remain valid.

Edited by Atariboy

Has anyone tried pairing the SN30 to the Genesis Reciever to see if it works any better, or vice versa?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Ive done M30 BT to the SNES receiver. You have to put it in XInput mode to get ABXY in the right locations (A to B and so on) and it works fine but my guess is the lag is no different. Z and L map to L and C and R map to R. That makes the layout correct for Street Fighter by default but not Killer Instinct.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360023862112/Analogue_Mega_Sg_Reference_Manual_v1.2.pdf

check page 12/23 "Extra Features" Dithering (3rd paragraph) .... pure awesomesauce .... we need to see the results but I'm already sold on it, that's how deep/good/thorough kevtris is.

attachicon.gifDithering.JPG

Is it just me or does it sound from the description of the scanlines feauture that scanlines are still somewhat problematic in 1080p, like it was with the SuperNT? I'd hope this was fixed for the MegaSG release.

It apparently lifts the 25th. So this very well may be in the hands of some customers before reviews start popping up.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/?p=4238625

Not sure at the logic of that. If they shipped early, it seems to me like the embargo date would also be moved up to reflect that. But I guess we'll have to suffer through the weekend before getting to see this thing in all its glory when channels like MyLifeInGaming post their review videos.

And since finding out that the Mega SG has a solution for dithering, I seem to be seeing it everywhere on the Super NT. I knew it was far from uncommon, but I'm seeing it a ton of places now that I'm apparently looking for it. Sim City has a lot of dithering, the horizon above the pyramid in the Dark World in Link to the Past does it, the Lion King is absolutely full of dithering effects, the shadows under trackside objects in Top Gear are dithered, there's dithering on the backdrops in SMB3 on Super Mario All-Stars, etc.

Hopefully the solution Kevtris has developed for the Mega SG, assuming it has few negative effects like I'm confident it will, is brought over to the Super NT eventually. Dithering isn't problematic on the Super Nintendo, but it would be nice here and there such as on the second level of the Lion King where the sky is almost completely dithered.

24bc9694e22dbdcb887af8a5ae545e6b.jpg

Edited by Atariboy

People are receiving their consoles today. Lucky... mine's not shipped yet despite being ordered in the 1st hour of the pre-order. Guess they split the domestic and overseas logistics.

Edit - OoooOoo - Just got my dispatch notification - being delivered to the UK by the end of the day on Monday.

Edited by Lostdotfish

People are receiving their consoles today. Lucky... mine's not shipped yet despite being ordered in the 1st hour of the pre-order. Guess they split the domestic and overseas logistics.

Edit - OoooOoo - Just got my dispatch notification - being delivered to the UK by the end of the day on Monday.

Mine being delivered Monday as well mate. ;-)