1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Considering the NES and SNES run slightly faster than 60hz (apparently 60.0988) I am surprised you cannot use them for speedrunning. You'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage already by using a 60hz system and then hooking it up to a display that has input lag of it's own. I see the Genesis runs slightly below 60hz so I can see why they wouldn't be allowed if you can't output stock.

The issue is that by speeding up or slowing down the system slightly changes the underlying frame rate.

For the NES/SNES, you get slightly more time per frame to get input to land on a particular frame. Hard to say if that comes out as a wash or not, but it does change the skill required for certain tricks ever so slightly.

For the Genesis, you get more frames per second, meaning a slower run still gets the same speed, but frame accurate timing is harder than on stock.

In general, for stuff like this you want the same environment and skill bar for everyone. It’s not like runners at the olympics are given different terrain in each lane.

• Like 1

That sounds the reason why, most likely.

Lucky us there is a JB branch, at least for the SNt. :)

Yeah, and the analog adapter is going to have to use the HDMI port in a proprietary way anyway. ;)

I know Kev went all-out with the HDMI Analyzer test equipment so he cares about these things but, for some reason, his stuff still isn’t compatible with DVI/HDMI HD Trinitron CRTs except in 640x480 mode. *shrug* It seems to have passed all testing on the analyzer, so I don’t get it.

Kev loaned or passed the analyzer on to MarshallH to use with UltraHDMI, which doesn’t work on those same TVs at all (not even in 480p). I’ve tested HDMI from PS3 and BD players and it works with them in 720p so there is still some difference between Kev and MarshallH’s HDMI stuff and the HDMI stuff from major consumer electronics corporations.

Well, they tried! Still love their stuff. :) Those TVs are notoriously picky and even have disclaimers about how their digital ports are not for PCs (Sony knew you’d have compatibility problems).

Edited by CZroe

So, am I the only one who can't get SMS games to work? I've tried 4 cartridges, all freshly cleaned and known to work and none of them will boot. The Mega SG appears to be booting the SMS core though because when I got to core options all I see is the option to enable/disable FM sound. The one Genesis cartridge I've tried works fine, but none of the SMS carts. I'm on the 4.2 firmware.

Am I the only coming here daily to see if JailBroken firmware has been released? :D

I bet a lot of people here have an Everdrive type device. I know I do so a Jail Break is more a quality of life thing for me (except on the Nt Mini where it unlocked a bunch of cores) :)

• Like 2

I bet a lot of people here have an Everdrive type device. I know I do so a Jail Break is more a quality of life thing for me (except on the Nt Mini where it unlocked a bunch of cores) :)

Yeah but I don't have one, and I bet a lot of people who got the MegaSG doesn't have one either, so I am sure I'm not the only one waiting the JB firmware.

• Like 1

Anyone have any luck using the Everdrive MD (V2.3) with this? It works great on my original systems, but can't get any games to play on the MegaSG. The cart loads fine so I can access all menu screens, and it acts like it's loading the games, but the screen goes black and stays there.

So, am I the only one who can't get SMS games to work? I've tried 4 cartridges, all freshly cleaned and known to work and none of them will boot. The Mega SG appears to be booting the SMS core though because when I got to core options all I see is the option to enable/disable FM sound. The one Genesis cartridge I've tried works fine, but none of the SMS carts. I'm on the 4.2 firmware.

Unplug the Sega CD.

Even then, I bet many don't have a Game Gear Everdrive to use with the upcoming adapter. So there will hopefully be a very useful purpose to it if the system is jailbroken, even for the majority of Mega SG owners that I'm sure own a Genesis Everdrive.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I hope we see Sega CD and 32X on jailbreak? That's the most wanted and would drive sales higher

Like with the Super NT not supporting external/expansion chips in the jailbreak, don’t expect it here. Both the CD and 32X rely on hardware outside the Genesis, and would require new cores added. In the case of 32X, I’m not even sure there’s room on the Cyclone V they use for the two CPUs in the 32X.

• Like 1

I hope we see Sega CD and 32X on jailbreak? That's the most wanted and would drive sales higher

Kevtris basically shot that down even before the Mega SG project had started. Just not enough resources on current affordable fpga technology to handle them.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-195?do=findComment&comment=3913221

• Like 1

Kevtris basically shot that down even before the Mega SG project had started. Just not enough resources on current affordable fpga technology to handle them.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-195?do=findComment&comment=3913221

Not saying the FPGA could do it, but his reasons were more about the effort required not being worth it for the games few are interested in. Analogue isn’t going to bankroll him for two more years while he does each one if each one isn’t going to result in a sales boost close to the total sales of Super Nt or Mega Sg alone. ;)

Pretty interesting that you’d use that angle when the marketability versus the effort required is precisely why it won’t happen. ;) Edited by CZroe

Anyone have any luck using the Everdrive MD (V2.3) with this? It works great on my original systems, but can't get any games to play on the MegaSG. The cart loads fine so I can access all menu screens, and it acts like it's loading the games, but the screen goes black and stays there.

I'm having the same issue with a clone Everdrive. I emailed Analogue support and they asked for more details, hopefully this will be resolved in a future firmware revision.

Not saying the FPGA could do it, but his reasons were more about the effort required not being worth it for the games few are interested in. Analogue isn’t going to bankroll him for two more years while he does each one if each one isn’t going to result in a sales boost close to the total sales of Super Nt or Mega Sg alone. ;)

Pretty interesting that you’d use that angle when the marketability versus the effort required is precisely why it won’t happen. ;)

90% of his post was about the resources (Or lack thereof) on current fpga boards in the price range to be suitable here. Only the last sentence said anything about time. It doesn't matter if he could do it in six weeks if the fpga doesn't have the resources in the first place to handle it.

Time constraints is still valid of course. It doesn't take an expert (And I'm certainly not one) to recognize that this process takes a very time. Until we're able to clone Kevtris, Analogue presumably has their next project already in the conceptual stage and hopefully Kevtris after a well deserved break will be hard at work on something else we'll all be drooling about in 12 months or so.

That couldn't happen if Kevtris had to implement fpga support for the Sega CD and 32X on the Mega SG. Sega CD might not be a nightmare if there was enough ram to handle it, but 32X would no doubt be a very complicated beast to reverse engineer. I could see it easily being a 12-18 month job for someone of his talent down the road when fpga tech has progressed.

Edited by Atariboy

Gotcha. Well, MLiG mentioned issues with MS games with the CD attached and plugged in so I was hoping that was it. :(

If it’s power-related I wonder if it’s the same issue.

I was really looking forward to popping Wonder Boy III in and playing with FM sound. My damn SMS is one of the revisions that with the FM mod should work (it's just an issue with Wonder Boy III, other games work), but some don't, and of course mine doesn't. Had a couple people look at it every which way, but no dice. Then with the NT Mini I could never get it working, and I think that was the case for just about everyone if I recall. I wonder if whatever lessons learned here with FM sound can be applied back to the NT Mini to get it working there.....

Edited by jamon1567

How are people finding their 8bitdo M30's work with the Mega-SG? How is the lag now, there were issues initially, but I understand there was a firmware to help reduce.

I was keen on the new licenced retro-bit controllers but the release date keeps getting pushed back (now out in May).

I wanted wired but considering the M30's or potentially the Hyperkins (wired). Keen to have the right controllers for Mega-SG.

Currently using very cheap 6 buttons from Amazon, which work (for now) but I'm sure if I press too hard or squeeze the pad it'll shatter in my hand.

How are people finding their 8bitdo M30's work with the Mega-SG? How is the lag now, there were issues initially, but I understand there was a firmware to help reduce.

I was keen on the new licenced retro-bit controllers but the release date keeps getting pushed back (now out in May).

I wanted wired but considering the M30's or potentially the Hyperkins (wired). Keen to have the right controllers for Mega-SG.

Currently using very cheap 6 buttons from Amazon, which work (for now) but I'm sure if I press too hard or squeeze the pad it'll shatter in my hand.

Depending on your budget you may want to take a look at Krikzz's controller. It is shaped more like a stock controller rather than a Saturn controller or whatever the 8bito is modeled after and reviews of it seem to be good. The lag is low for a wireless controller (similar to 2.4ghz...much better than bluetooth). They are spendy though.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-sega-genesis-joyzz-wireless-controller.html