1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Analogue responded to me admitting they mixed up my order. They said the Japan units are sold out and won't be available for two weeks. They offered me an exchange or to comp me the shipping fee. They also made a point to say that the European unit is the one produced in the lowest quantity.

I slept on it and I'm just going to keep it, the console itself is awesome. I responded that they need to have a serious word with their shipping people.

In other news, I can report that my Mega ED X5 can load SMS games on it just fine and the Joyzz works well too. I haven't connected my Sega CD yet, I'll have more time in the coming days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Oh man. You always keep 10% extra stock in case of defects or whatever... I ordered two so the wait wouldn't be so bad in my case but it would be disappointing if you wanted to swap it and you only got one.

Edited by Toth
  • Like 1

To be quite technical, I think the real issue is the existence of the Playstation Classic in the room. The bad VooDoo, vibes, and midichlorians from that anti-joy cash grab box are surely scientifically causing all sorts of issues.

Dig a hole at least 10m deep (and 5m x 5m), throw the PSX Mini and the sales receipt inside along with a Greatest Hits copy of Soul Blade and Simpson's Wrestling, make napalm in your bathtub, and burn. Then pour a 50-lb bag of salt over the mess, and cover with fine, moist soil. Mega Sg should be right as rain then.

LOL! I paid $36 for it less than 3 weeks after it launched (not the recent price drop) but, you’re right, it technically sucks the fun out of the room (without Bleemcast!).

For me, $36 was worth it just for the shell. Besides, the mini console shelf has a Super Nt right under it to balance it out and a spot under that already cleared for the Mega Sg. The Sg pushed the SNES CE and SFC Mini down, but that makes sense because the NES CE and FC Mini were already sharing a shelf below that.

Actually, the Mega Sg’s use of the Sega CD has me questioning the whole idea of a tower for the mini consoles. :/ Might need to rethink all of it and the PS Classic would be the first to go!

I'm sorry for everybody this happened to. I'm hoping this isn't the case with my order coming tomorrow. This is gonna kill my weekend if this is true.

I have a Mega CD M1 coming my way too, so this kills my plan. :(

Wait. Having the wrong color buttons is going to kill your weekend?! ...and here I thought I was silly for spending any time thinking about which one to order in the first place. :)

Hope you get what you ordered.

The way Analogue is handling this initial shipment, you might receive your shipment tomorrow if you ordered today, or you might be 90 when it arrives. Shipping in the order their preorders were received wasnt something Analogue considered very important this time around.

...or maybe they did and yours got dropped or kicked behind a fixture at the shipping center?

Nobody requested them to ship early - all we asked was for them to ship in the order received, which has obviously not been the case...

Awfully solid conclusion you have there based on your one case that obviously has something else going on.

Sorry this is happening to you but chill out, dude. Let them make this right. Your experience is obviously not representative of what is supposed to happen or what is happening for everyone else. You’re the only person I know reporting that yours hasn’t shipped yet so there’s obviously something wrong, which sucks, but it’s meaningless for determining if they prioritized early preorders or not.

Yes, coincidentally being an early preorder and watching as all the late comers get theirs first adds insult to injury here, but it doesn’t change their mistake into a different one. Still, trying to link the mistake to your position in the preorder queue sounds like you want to believe you were personally slighted by them in an additional way that’s just totally fabricated. We don’t need that to commiserate with you about what’s happening and, if anything, it’s driving some of us away. It seems like you’re willing to cross a line that others aren’t willing to cross.

What happened is bad enough, but it was an accident. Reaching for something more deliberate to blame them for undermines what actually happened when it’s clearly a reach.

So, am I the only one who can't get SMS games to work? I've tried 4 cartridges, all freshly cleaned and known to work and none of them will boot. The Mega SG appears to be booting the SMS core though because when I got to core options all I see is the option to enable/disable FM sound. The one Genesis cartridge I've tried works fine, but none of the SMS carts. I'm on the 4.2 firmware.

Did you update your system yet? It was on a sticker on the shrink wrap. Supposedly you have to update first.

Is anyone else as crazy as me? I literally got a Super NT and Mega SG hooked up to my TV right now and they're great, yet I have both in my shopping cart and am considering buying them, wrapping them up, putting in storage so that when I am 90 years old I'll still have a functional 'backup' system just in case.

Am I nuts?

I did the same. I bought 2. One for unboxing and playing, and the other to keep unboxed for the future.

Is anyone else as crazy as me? I literally got a Super NT and Mega SG hooked up to my TV right now and they're great, yet I have both in my shopping cart and am considering buying them, wrapping them up, putting in storage so that when I am 90 years old I'll still have a functional 'backup' system just in case.

Am I nuts?

It depends on whether Analogue's consoles have any electronic components that can decay over time, like capacitors. If you don't touch a piece of electronics for several decades and some components decay during that long period of time, it will fail to work when you eventually do hook it up and try it.

Long time filthy lurker here, just wanted to say that this is hands down my favorite console Analogue/Kevtris have produced even though I like Nintendo more than Sega (I have ntmini and snt already, hadn't heard of them when the cmvs was around). I was so excited that this had a headphone jack on the front, makes it perfect for using on my desk at work and I might have to order a 2nd one. Also really hoping that at some point they make their own segacd add-on fpga that plugs into the side of this thing because I would rather spend $200+ on an analogue fpga one than spend $250 on an original sega cd without all the accessories that probably needs a new laser and re-cap (but I also realize that since the pcb/reverse engineering/fpga programming is all done by Kevtris by himself that they will probably target something that's a bigger money maker first). Also +1 for wanting the DAC to get released to have the option to plug into my crt.

Also just my 2 cents but while I understand how some people are frustrated that other people got theirs before them despite preordering early and being domestic, or got the wrong color, and I certainly don't want to insult anyone who's still waiting, but I don't think it's fair to complain that international / further geographical distance orders actually got theirs as early as most domestic orders. I've preordered all of mine on day 1 in the past, and this time around, but because I live in the Canadian prairies, I usually don't get it until a week or more after most domestic orders have arrived, and have to pay more for shipping up front and get hit with taxes/high-brokerage once it finally arrives (that's not a complaint, it's just a part of not living in the same country as the company who makes the product). I for one want to commend Analogue for giving equal priority to international shipments this time around as I know several other people like myself in Canada/UK who got their consoles on Mon/Tue at the same time as most of the early domestic shipments which almost never happens from any company. So while no company ever gets 100% of all orders right on launch day and I feel bad for the few who have had a small hiccup, I think overall they've done a great job and it sounds like they're offering very reasonable options to correct the problem for those few cases (heck I'd take any random color in exchange for saving my shipping cost lol, make the fawker tie-dye for all I care lol).

Also the menu-key functionality tie in with the 8bitdo m30 controllers is such a small but wonderful convenience, I always have to look up the key combos for the other two consoles if I haven't played them recently and i love the dedicated menu key. The d-pad on this is also one of the better ones from 8bitdo. I don't know if they're all like this but the black one I bought to match the supernt has the worst dpad on the pcb design that causes accidental diagonals that makes games like contra unplayable (my older 8bitdo super nintendo controllers were perfect though, and the old nes style ones).

• Like 3

...and have to pay more for shipping up front and get hit with taxes/high-brokerage once it finally arrives (that's not a complaint, it's just a part of not living in the same country as the company who makes the product).

I’m domestic (Georgia, USA) and still got slapped with a “Foreign Transaction Fee” when I ordered my two Super Nt systems last year. They fingered the bank and the bank fingered them. Made sure to use a card with no foreign transaction fees this time: Amazon Rewards VISA from Chase (my other Chase cards have the fee). Pretty sure my Toyota Rewards VISA from Comenity Bank also has no foreign transaction fees. Curious to know if anyone got a fee like that this time around.

Also, I preordered Super Nt early and didn’t get them until Feb. 13th, 6 days after release. This year I preordered two very late and got both only a day after release. Shipping was a bit cheaper too. There’s still room to improve but it was a better experience all around this time.

Another difference:

The two Super Nt product boxes were individually boxed for shipment and then put into a larger box together. Two product boxes in three larger boxes. The two Mega Sg product boxes were packed into one larger box. This difference might have more to do with the Super Turrican Director’s Cut box that didn’t fit in the original Super Nt packaging so they were all individually boxed with that beforehand.

Also the menu-key functionality tie in with the 8bitdo m30 controllers is such a small but wonderful convenience.

No problem remembering the key combos but after dealing with games that respond to the start button every time I invoke the menu, I plan to order one for this feature alone.

Did you update your system yet? It was on a sticker on the shrink wrap. Supposedly you have to update first.

Yes, I've updated it. I'm going through the run around with support (and frankly it's starting to piss me off....they ignore what I tell them and treat me like I'm a 5 year old that has never played video games before, which is funny since they like to brag about how they sell to an "enthusiast market"....I guess us enthusiasts don't know to try to clean a cartridge if you're having problems, or the proper way to insert one) right now, but basically it appears to me that the adapter is junk. Looking at it, the soldering doesn't seem that great on a few of the pins, and one of them seems to have snapped off. Not sure if that's by design or not, but knowing how these consoles work, and that I'm not having issues with Genesis carts, I'm fairly certain it's the adapter. Also, to answer a previous posts question to me, it isn't any particular cart so far as I can tell, but the ones I've tried are Wonder Boy III, Golvelius, Zaxxon 3D and Blade Eagle 3D. Basically just grabbed a few after Wonder Boy didn't work.

Yes, I've updated it. I'm going through the run around with support (and frankly it's starting to piss me off....they ignore what I tell them and treat me like I'm a 5 year old that has never played video games before, which is funny since they like to brag about how they sell to an "enthusiast market"....I guess us enthusiasts don't know to try to clean a cartridge if you're having problems, or the proper way to insert one) right now, but basically it appears to me that the adapter is junk. Looking at it, the soldering doesn't seem that great on a few of the pins, and one of them seems to have snapped off. Not sure if that's by design or not, but knowing how these consoles work, and that I'm not having issues with Genesis carts, I'm fairly certain it's the adapter. Also, to answer a previous posts question to me, it isn't any particular cart so far as I can tell, but the ones I've tried are Wonder Boy III, Golvelius, Zaxxon 3D and Blade Eagle 3D. Basically just grabbed a few after Wonder Boy didn't work.

Guess I can’t blame them for going through the motions when even some of their early review partners who got specific instructions failed to update theirs and didn’t know why Master System games didn’t work. :)

Glad to hear that it’s probably the adapter because that’s a lot easier to rectify and you have a console with most other functionality in the mean time. Do you have an Everdrive, Power Base FM, or any other way to play Master System games on it? If not, I expect you’ll get the ability to play them from SD card soon enough. ;) I’d prefer to play the original when I have it on-hand but at least you’ll have some Master System functionality.

Guess I can’t blame them for going through the motions when even some of their early review partners who got specific instructions failed to update theirs and didn’t know why Master System games didn’t work. :)

Glad to hear that it’s probably the adapter because that’s a lot easier to rectify and you have a console with most other functionality in the mean time. Do you have an Everdrive, Power Base FM, or any other way to play Master System games on it? If not, I expect you’ll get the ability to play them from SD card soon enough. ;) I’d prefer to play the original when I have it on-hand but at least you’ll have some Master System functionality.

If they would have just replied to my initial email with a list of things to try (and actually read my email to see what I had done), including making sure I clean my carts and insert the adapter the right way, it wouldn't be an issue and I'd expect that. Instead though, they've dicked around through multiple emails now asking me to do simple things I've already said I've done. This isn't the first time I've had a less than pleasant experience with their support either mind you.

As for other methods to test, unfortunately the only other thing I have is a power base converter, but that obviously won't fit unfortunately. Hopefully they get the picture and just send me a new adapter...

On a side note regarding the shipping. I actually ordered an EUR version and received what I should have, so happy there. But I was not impressed with the packaging. I can't recall how the Super Nt was packaged, but I know the Nt Mini had a nice box with foam inserts that the second box fit into. The Mega Sg came in a box with a bunch of paper and the actual system box poorly wrapped with crappy bubble wrap. One of the corners on that box is smashed in a little bit because of this poor pack job. Now, while I wasn't happy to see that knowing how they've packaged things in the past, it isn't a game changer or anything, but they really should have their shipping settled by now. It's embarrassing frankly, and I'm embarrassed for them.

Looking at it, the soldering doesn't seem that great on a few of the pins, and one of them seems to have snapped off. Not sure if that's by design or not, but knowing how these consoles work, and that I'm not having issues with Genesis carts, I'm fairly certain it's the adapter.

I’d be willing to compare photos of the problem areas with my adapter if it might help demonstrate your point to support.

This shipping mix-up might actually work out okay for me. I ordered the JPN SKU but started to regret it later (I'm not sure I like the red/blue button combo). If I end up getting the EUR SKU, I think I'll be happy with the white buttons. It would go nicely with my JPN Super Nt.

Still though, it's obviously an unfortunate situation for most people if they don't get the version they ordered.

Both the Red/Blue and the White/Gray buttons look good imo. However I really like the splash of color the red/blue palette provides. The USA palette just used the red from Japan and the gray from PAL. I got lucky in that I got the JPN color scheme I ordered.

Rather than accepting returns for open box consoles then risking shipping out cosmetically imperfect units, perhaps Analogue could just mail out power/reset buttons to those who request them. A set of either Red/Blue or White/Gray replacement buttons could match any color scheme. To convert to or from a USA console, only one button needs to be replaced.

That would be cheaper than shipping complete shells as one poster recommended.

It still requires full disassembly of the console, presumably by lifting the corners of the rubber pad at the base, if it is constructed like the Super NT. I'm not sure if Analogue is willing to allow customers to swap their own parts.

Retrousb gave explicit instructions for cartridge port replacement on the AVS and offered free repairs or replacement of broken power connector, even after botched repair attempts by customers.

I'm not sure how Analogue would feel about sending out conversion "kits" to swap the buttons, but it would be far cheaper and more convenient compared to return shipping both ways.

And a visible code would be helpful. The box literally has only an 8pt font text on it designating the region color scheme.

Colored dots (ie white, red, blue, gray) on the outside of the shrik wrap or really anything to help identify the packaging to aid inventory workers and prevent mistakes like this.

I ordered a 3x nfl jersey last year where they attached a 3x tag to a 2x jersey (that obviously didn't fit correctly). The exchange process was painless.

It is still up to Analogue to correct the issue if customers are dissatisfied. Many may keep the console but be unhappy about the colors. This could impact future sales from these customers.

Just food for thought.

Also a USPS medium flat rate priority is $15 anywhere in continental United States, and regional rate boxes even cheaper in many instances. Reliance on third party courier services is outrageous, especially since the USPS will deliver free boxes and collect shipments at the door.

I would hope that the cart adapters aren't $30 to ship for a $10 connector. Drop single orders in a small padded Readypost envelope for $3.95 shipped. If customer orders two or more, a small flat rate Priority box will accommodate this.

Rather than accepting returns for open box consoles then risking shipping out cosmetically imperfect units, perhaps Analogue could just mail out power/reset buttons to those who request them. A set of either Red/Blue or White/Gray replacement buttons could match any color scheme. To convert to or from a USA console, only one button needs to be replaced.

They could, but like zetastrike, I was offered a 2 week wait, or 25$ refund.

They could, but like zetastrike, I was offered a 2 week wait, or 25$ refund.

I know which one I’d pick since I would’ve picked the cheaper color from the start if they weren’t all the same price. :D

Now, why couldn’t I have been one of the ones with the mixed up button color?! :(

Edited by CZroe

I’d be willing to compare photos of the problem areas with my adapter if it might help demonstrate your point to support.

Let's see what they say, but just looking at it, on some of the pins there is black specs of stuff, and then there's that one pin that doesn't appear to be there. Again though, that may be by design, I don't know. But then there is another pin where it doesn't look like there's much if any solder on it either.

Let's see what they say, but just looking at it, on some of the pins there is black specs of stuff, and then there's that one pin that doesn't appear to be there. Again though, that may be by design, I don't know. But then there is another pin where it doesn't look like there's much if any solder on it either.

The specs are likely leftover flux. Especially if they are using a lead free solder, going by what I see on my adapter. In the connector that you plug the MS cart into, all pins are present. The card edge connector for the Mega SG is clean and in good condition there too.

If you have a missing pin, that’s likely your problem.

I know which one I’d pick since I would’ve picked the cheaper color from the start if they weren’t all the same price. :D

Now, why couldn’t I have been one of the ones with the mixed up button color?! :(

I get what you are saying, but at the same time, I very much wanted the JPN buttons. I had a hard time picking what color I wanted for the Super NT, but not the SG.

It’s not bad, but I just really like the red/blue mix. But I’m going to take the discount and make the EUR one a spare, or resell it for a small loss once I get the right one...

Random question for you though, since you have the Everdrive X5 and the Sega CD. Do you have any problems using the Everdrive as a RAM cart on the SG? I can’t get it to work.

Edited by Kaide

Also, I preordered Super Nt early and didn’t get them until Feb. 13th, 6 days after release.

American in the UK. Both times I've ordered from Analogue the Super Nt and the Mega Sg I have received quickly. Super Nt in 2 days and Mega Sg was mailed on friday night and received Monday morning. Both times no import fee as well. ;-)

If they would have just replied to my initial email with a list of things to try (and actually read my email to see what I had done), including making sure I clean my carts and insert the adapter the right way, it wouldn't be an issue and I'd expect that. Instead though, they've dicked around through multiple emails now asking me to do simple things I've already said I've done. This isn't the first time I've had a less than pleasant experience with their support either mind you.

As for other methods to test, unfortunately the only other thing I have is a power base converter, but that obviously won't fit unfortunately. Hopefully they get the picture and just send me a new adapter...

I wouldn’t take it personally when they are likely dealing with hundreds of small issues during a new product launch including many who really do just need to do something simple, like clean their games or update their system. It makes sense to put out that stuff first to knock down their workload before they give personal one-on-one assistance.

There’s a big hump to get over before things normalize here. It’s unfortunate that you have to deal with being treated like anything less than an informed, experienced, and capable enthusiast in the mean time but, knowing the circumstances, I would not take it personally.

I’m someone who waited years for the Wii only to get mine DOA at launch (crashed when you launched any channel... including Disc Channel). To add insult to injury, it was Thanksgiving and even a “Rush” replacement was delayed by the holiday. I watched the post-launch buzz/excitement as everyone else praised Nintendo and boldly claimed that Nintendo didn’t have any of the DOA issues like Sony and Microsoft. Even my replacement had a common issue that I dealt with later (video artifacting). I had just got finished getting replacements for two DS lite handhelds purchased at-launch that summer.

Point is, my personal experience was an isolated example that was hard to draw more broad conclusions from. In the long run, Nintendo proved themselves to me as they did with everyone else. It sounds like Analogue will too if you give them the chance.

• Like 1

Random question for you though, since you have the Everdrive X5 and the Sega CD. Do you have any problems using the Everdrive as a RAM cart on the SG? I can’t get it to work.

I have an original Sega CD Backup RAM cart and haven’t used all my space so I haven’t actually tried that yet. I’ll try when I get home! Edited by CZroe

I gotta say, I'm using the Joyzz and there is no lag I can perceive. Analogue is making me less fearful of the day my Wega dies. Can anyone confirm if the 5x screen size cuts off a bit of the top and bottom of the picture? I keep switching from 4.5 to 5 but I can't tell definitively. The anti dither thing is neat, but checkerboards never bothered me. I'm hoping and praying we get an overclock feature in the future for games like Star Cruiser and Steel Talons.

This thing is awesome. I can't wait to pair it with my Sega CD.

Has anyone found the optimal audio settings for sounding like an early model 1? I'm afraid to mess with it and have to reset everything to default.

I gotta say, I'm using the Joyzz and there is no lag I can perceive. Analogue is making me less fearful of the day my Wega dies. Can anyone confirm if the 5x screen size cuts off a bit of the top and bottom of the picture? I keep switching from 4.5 to 5 but I can't tell definitively. The anti dither thing is neat, but checkerboards never bothered me. I'm hoping and praying we get an overclock feature in the future for games like Star Cruiser and Steel Talons.

This thing is awesome. I can't wait to pair it with my Sega CD.

Has anyone found the optimal audio settings for sounding like an early model 1? I'm afraid to mess with it and have to reset everything to default.

5x240p is 1200p. Some consumer “1080p” TVs are actually 1200p but most 1080p TVs will cut off a tad more than the original CRT overscan would have cut off. Mine definitely does. Still, I prefer it for the perfect integer scale.

Hanspree/HansG makes a 27” 1200p TV sold as 1080p. They made a bunch of sports-themed kid TVs that were 27” 1200p too. You said you had trouble seeing a difference so could it happen to be one of those? What does the Mega Sg report as your output resolution? It can also detect what most TVs are capable of.

Edited by CZroe

The specs are likely leftover flux. Especially if they are using a lead free solder, going by what I see on my adapter. In the connector that you plug the MS cart into, all pins are present. The card edge connector for the Mega SG is clean and in good condition there too.

If you have a missing pin, that’s likely your problem.

I get what you are saying, but at the same time, I very much wanted the JPN buttons. I had a hard time picking what color I wanted for the Super NT, but not the SG.

It’s not bad, but I just really like the red/blue mix. But I’m going to take the discount and make the EUR one a spare, or resell it for a small loss once I get the right one...

Well, I went ahead and took some pics but I can't figure out how to post them here. I uploaded to google drive and drop box and I keep getting an error when I try to either load the image via URL or just add a URL. Anyone have advice on how I can upload images?

Edit: I guess in the meantime I can just paste the URL to the pics here even if they won't be a clickable link.

Edit 2: I guess I don't need to actually use the link feature and can just paste the link in here....alrighty then

Edit 3: Forgot to point out what I'm seeing. In the first pic 7 from the left is the pin that isn't there anymore, or 90% of it anyway. Pic 2, 4 from the left is the one with what looks to be a not so great solder job.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T8grcXRNcf42hXlX6hpuvPsMOdx6myZh

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cLanJFS0pVUo2aThd573WOgraf0hDG1-

Edited by jamon1567