1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'd much rather play GG games through a possible jailbreak than a cart adapter. I have the Everdrive GG and it's by far the worst Everdrive I own. It has some major compatibility holes (Shining Force, Gunstar Heroes, several homebrew), flashing games is very slow, it doesn't have proper voltage translation, saving can be unreliable, and you can't access the SD card without taking the cartridge apart. I don't doubt it's the worst selling Everdrive released because Krikzz has barely touched it in years.

You and me both, but consolized Game Gears are definitely a thing. Heck, there’s even a local who wants me to do his purely because he’s an Ecco fan and only wants to play his Ecco cart/CD collection on TV. It’ll be the first time we’ve had a perfect digital solution for original carts without software emulation... and people do want that. It helps that the Game Gear has a crap screen and the McWill screen is expensive. ;) Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Personally I mostly play turbo graphics and whatever console i don't own. I didn't play sega genisis much. But it did play grate. I just assumed the sega sg had better capability cuz kevtris is grate.

MiSTer have amazing filter list. worth it. It only gets better every week with updates and cores.

Kevtris is awesome with his work no doubt, but MiSTer is pretty bad ass as well and shouldn't be dismissed because it wasn't developed by Kevtris. I absolutely love the MiSTer and also love the Mini NT, Super NT, and Mega SG. This is a great time to be alive.

Anyone else think a jailbreak maybe isn't coming to this system? Wouldn't it severely reduce the need to purchase the adapters Analogue wants to sell? I mean I hope it does but isn't it sort of the same reason we probably won't see a Genesis core released for the Super Nt even though it would now be possible (or the SNES core to the Mega SG)? I know it's pretty early but has the mysterious jailbreaker of the Super Nt said anything about it?

In all likeliness, if a JB is coming, it would probably defeat the purpose of the pin converters, but it wouldn't negate the desire of having them, since people still want to use the actual carts. If anything it saves Analogue some money in not having to make additional pin converters for systems people might not have, and might not care about. Like the SG has the 9-pin controllers, so conceivably you could put most of the early Atari systems, Commodore C64, A500 , Coleco, ZX Spectrum, MSX, Apple II, etc on it (or even put the NES on it via pin converter.) It just depends how much RAM is actually on it. Who knows if the firmware has space for that many systems though. Whoever did the SNT JB could probably port one to the other if they were so inclined but I don't really think that's a viable strategy as one of the primary motivations for having the FPGA system is not about having one system that does everything, but systems that work with your existing stuff (carts and controllers and other accessories.) A JB is just a nice to have, and people who wait for a JB before purchasing probably shouldn't own it at all.

I might have to haul out my original again, but I’m sure at least the slowdowns happen on original hardware. Sonic 2 has some ugly slow down issues especially with rings.

The last time I had a Sega Genesis was way back in the 90's, and it wasn't even mine. So I only recall large fuzzy TV's.

do you have a picture of the tales distortion? Sonic 2 was in a lot of the review vids so I'm surprised nobody mentioned

I'll play it again while recording it. I did record it last time, but since I wasn't looking for glitches I didn't wait to get a screen grab.

In all likeliness, if a JB is coming, it would probably defeat the purpose of the pin converters, but it wouldn't negate the desire of having them, since people still want to use the actual carts. If anything it saves Analogue some money in not having to make additional pin converters for systems people might not have, and might not care about. Like the SG has the 9-pin controllers, so conceivably you could put most of the early Atari systems, Commodore C64, A500 , Coleco, ZX Spectrum, MSX, Apple II, etc on it (or even put the NES on it via pin converter.)

I actually tested my CX-78 controller on it a few days ago. Directions work but I can’t make selections or back up. I can hot-swap to get to the controller test and see that it thinks my C-Button is held down.

On that note, the built-in controller test really should tell you that you won’t be able to boot your cartridge. :( I’m pretty sure I can still boot my cartridge after starting Ultracore so it’s not just a problem with being stuck in Genesis mode or something. It might even kick you out of your game you had in the background.

It just depends how much RAM is actually on it. Who knows if the firmware has space for that many systems though. Whoever did the SNT JB could probably port one to the other if they were so inclined but I don't really think that's a viable strategy as one of the primary motivations for having the FPGA system is not about having one system that does everything, but systems that work with your existing stuff (carts and controllers and other accessories.) A JB is just a nice to have, and people who wait for a JB before purchasing probably shouldn't own it at all.

Don’t forget that this was the Zimba 3000 thread... and still is. ;)

Running multiple systems on a single FPGA console has been Kev’s dream from the start and it was already partially realized with the Nt Mini.

I have the Everdrive GG and it's by far the worst Everdrive I own. It has some major compatibility holes (Shining Force, Gunstar Heroes, several homebrew), flashing games is very slow, it doesn't have proper voltage translation, saving can be unreliable, and you can't access the SD card without taking the cartridge apart. I don't doubt it's the worst selling Everdrive released because Krikzz has barely touched it in years.

Wow really? It can't even play GG Shining Force?? I had no idea. Maybe the stuck-on-Goomba on the GBA Everdrive is the better Gamegear option for the moment. :lol:

Just as an unrelated, but relevant thing... many laptops will ground static near the touchpad buttons. You should figure out if the shock is jumping from the SegaCD or from your hand. If it's jumping from your hand, that's probably the SegaCD creating a ground path that doesn't normally exist. If someone has both SegaCD units they should see if it happens with both models. If it's actually a shock being generated by the SegaCD unit then that's a worrying sign.

As far as bugs go:

Master System: While playing Alex Kidd: The Lost Star, during the second level some tiles show distortion as they are animated, I'm not sure if it does that normally.

Genesis: Sonic 2 - After collecting one chaos emerald, any time the continue screen appears, Tails is distorted. There are also areas where it seems like the entire game slows down (mostly underwater) while Tails is on screen. I don't have an actual system to compare with.

Alex Kidd seems to be using sprites heavily in level 2, I only see sprite flicker.

Sonic 2 can be triggered by the continue screen, but it isn't guaranteed and I did get it to show up on original hardware.

Don’t forget that this was the Zimba 3000 thread... and still is. ;)

Running multiple systems on a single FPGA console has been Kev’s dream from the start and it was already partially realized with the Nt Mini.

My intent there was that it's more likely someone would own 1-4 of these FPGA devices that cover certain hardware groups (eg Nintendo systems, Sega/9-pin controller systems) So you don't end up with an ugly disaster that the Retron devices are. Then you piggy back all the weirdo cart types that have 9-pin joysticks/6-buttons onto the Sega group device and everything that is fine with a SNES 8-button controller onto the Nintendo one. The SNES controller bus is probably more versatile (see the NTT Data pad), so if someone wanted to they could probably make new controllers with a keyboard add-on. Likewise SNES mouse. The Amiga had mice on their 9-pin controller ports, though I'm not aware of any keyboards that did. Some kind of 9-pin to 9-pin pin converter could be made if the voltage pins are wrong for vintage hardware, otherwise I think it's not unreasonable to have new wired hardware.

But I digress, A single device is also a single point of failure. Sure you might be able to play SNES games on the Mega SG if it was JB, but where do you get a controller with the right number of buttons? Likewise on a JB SNES SNT, if it can play the SG/MS/GG/SG3000/SG1000 games with a SNES pad, the button order is not right, so you'd need to be able to re-map the buttons, a minor issue, but then you create further potential for bugs just like how the flash carts "extra" features create bugs when they're turned on.

Which brings me back to the Sonic 2 bugs. I played it again, but was not able to replicate the tails glitch. However I also need to point out something that I'm not sure is a bug or not. You are supposed to continue right? Well I noticed this time you couldn't always continue (since I was deliberately trying to get to the continue screen, I burned them all.) Last time, after I got one chaos emerald, it stayed with me the entire time, even after being tossed to the title screen and the only thing I remember doing different is hitting start from the options screen without having done anything on it. This time, the chaos emeralds were lost if it went back to the title screen where it didn't last time. I don't know which is the correct behavior.

Here's what sounds ideal to me, if Kevtris had unlimited time and energy:

SNT: make GB/GBC core available, so the SGB would no longer be necessary and the GBC library would be usable. Port the INTV and Coleco cores intended for use with the NTT Data controller. I can take or leave the FC/NES core as the AVS already fills that niche.

MSG: Jailbreak unlocks all advertised functionality. Port VCS, 7800 cores. Make A8bit, MSX, and C64 cores available (if they don't already exist).

If Analogue wants to release another dedicated console, make a combined GB/C/A box. That has a lot more mainstream appeal than PCE or Neo Geo and requires no copyrighted BIOS files or illegitimately acquired CD images. For this same reason, PS1 is not viable for them. Kevtris goes rogue and makes a PS1 console anyway.

I'd much rather play GG games through a possible jailbreak than a cart adapter. I have the Everdrive GG and it's by far the worst Everdrive I own. It has some major compatibility holes (Shining Force, Gunstar Heroes, several homebrew), flashing games is very slow, it doesn't have proper voltage translation, saving can be unreliable, and you can't access the SD card without taking the cartridge apart. I don't doubt it's the worst selling Everdrive released because Krikzz has barely touched it in years.

Dang, I didn't know the Everdrive-GG was one of the bad carts...I figured his carts were all good in that area. Could Kevtris have designed the Nt Mini, Super Nt and Mega SG to handle higher voltage flash carts knowing they exist? I don't suppose there is any way to reduce the voltage on the affected carts is there? I have installed an Ultrahdmi and hidefnes so I wouldn't mind having to modify it but just would need instructions if it is possible.

SNT: make GB/GBC core available, so the SGB would no longer be necessary and the GBC library would be usable. Port the INTV and Coleco cores intended for use with the NTT Data controller. I can take or leave the FC/NES core as the AVS already fills that niche.

MSG: Jailbreak unlocks all advertised functionality. Port VCS, 7800 cores. Make A8bit, MSX, and C64 cores available (if they don't already exist).

If Analogue wants to release another dedicated console, make a combined GB/C/A box. That has a lot more mainstream appeal than PCE or Neo Geo and requires no copyrighted BIOS files or illegitimately acquired CD images. For this same reason, PS1 is not viable for them. Kevtris goes rogue and makes a PS1 console anyway.

GBC and GBA use a copyrighted BIOS, though each has been reverse engineered enough to work without it. That said, so has PSX.

Adding additional cores of systems from other manufacturers to the Super Nt and Mega Sg just muddles the whole intent and design esthetic of these products. Leave all of those niche cores for the MiSTer.

We have had this debate before in this thread, but do not discount the popularity of Neo Geo and PC Engine/TG16, especially overseas. Ive noticed a lot more international customers buying the Mega Sg in Asia where PC Engine was king. A PC Engine FPGA would sell really well for Analogue.

I've had a bug on Sonic 1 but I'm not sure if it's an existing game bug or a Mega Sg bug. On Green Hill Act 3, when you pass the loop with the 1UP on top, if you roll into the spring then jump on the rebound at the spot where the hill starts to decline you glitch out the loop as you hit it. I've uploaded a video showing this at the link below:

https://gfycat.com/coolmediumfinch

I'm running the game on a Mega Everdrive X7 but unfortunately I don't have an OG Genesis to confirm if the issue is just with the Mega Sg.

I can get Sonic to glitch like that on a Model 1 Genesis :

post-4291-0-92386900-1553923676_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Adding additional cores of systems from other manufacturers to the Super Nt and Mega Sg just muddles the whole intent and design esthetic of these products. Leave all of those niche cores for the MiSTer.

We have had this debate before in this thread, but do not discount the popularity of Neo Geo and PC Engine/TG16, especially overseas. Ive noticed a lot more international customers buying the Mega Sg in Asia where PC Engine was king. A PC Engine FPGA would sell really well for Analogue.

Until the MiSTer is a commercial product that someone can buy (even if some assembly is required) that's just going to be something people buy as a hobby, as much as I think it has potential, if a good-enough fpga console game core for a device ever exists for it, it's going to end up in some cheap knockoff retron-like console. We all know this is going to happen because that's what they've done already with software emulators.

• Like 1

Until the MiSTer is a commercial product that someone can buy (even if some assembly is required) that's just going to be something people buy as a hobby, as much as I think it has potential, if a good-enough fpga console game core for a device ever exists for it, it's going to end up in some cheap knockoff retron-like console. We all know this is going to happen because that's what they've done already with software emulators.

It already exists: MiST already has both Genesis and PC Engine working good, although the FPGA is not large enough for the SNES core.

I'm pretty sure somebody will eventually try a "MiST 2" whereby it's all one packaged product in a box, but I don't expect it to be cheap given the high cost of spare (non subsidized) FPGA chips. Whoever brings it out will have competition of people buying a MiSTer instead.

Update on wrong model received (EUR instead of JPN).

On Thursday I inquired about the possibility of having them mail out a replacement JPN shell top instead of having me return it, and not be able to play it for 2-3 weeks, but that idea was shot down right away.

I was told "Those are the 2 options we provide at this time" 1. A $25 refund and get to keep the rarer EUR system which was mis-shipped, or 2. Exchange it and wait for them to gt back in stock and ship it out.

So I replied back yesterday that I am choosing to exchange it. That was at 4:30PM EST yesterday (Friday, March 29th), and as of Saturday 4:44AM EST, I'm still waiting for a reply with instructions on how to return it, and with any luck, a prepaid shipping label.

I hope to get a reply soon.

*****Update Saturday 3/30 5:18AM EST*****

I just received a reply a few minutes after making this post.

It contains a link to a prepaid return UPS label.

They also said "Since you are located in the USA, it will not take 2 weeks." So that's good news. It also sounds like they are going to cross post an send the replacement system out on Monday. So that's cool.

Questions for those with the system and a mega Everdrive flashcart...

1. Is there a way to reset the Mega Everdrive x3 back to the game selection menu from the Mega Sg? With the Super NT the only way I known how to reset flashcarts is to start one of the built-in games, quit, then RUN CARTRIDGE. Seems kind of convoluted. A hard reset button combo would be ideal.

2. Has anyone tried the Game Gear games which were converted to Sega Master System roms from a Mega Everdrive?

I have about 75 GG games converted to SMS that I'd like to play on it.

3. I saw a video on YouTube where Ms Pac-Man doesn't work correctly on the Sg. He wasn't able to move up or down while Ms Pac-Man was in motion. He also tried several different controllers. Then he played the same cart and controller on a Model 2 and it worked fine.

Also, any guesses on when we'll see the Sg jailbreak? My guess is Easter (April 21st).

Edited by spoonman

Questions for those with the system and a mega Everdrive flashcart...

1. Is there a way to reset the Mega Everdrive x3 back to the game selection menu from the Mega Sg? With the Super NT the only way I known how to reset flashcarts is to start one of the built-in games, quit, then RUN CARTRIDGE. Seems kind of convoluted. A hard reset button combo would be ideal.

2. Has anyone tried the Game Gear games which were converted to Sega Master System roms from a Mega Everdrive?

I have about 75 GG games converted to SMS that I'd like to play on it.

3. I saw a video on YouTube where Ms Pac-Man doesn't work correctly on the Sg. He wasn't able to move up or down while Ms Pac-Man was in motion. He also tried several different controllers. Then he played the same cart and controller on a Model 2 and it worked fine.

I'm using the ED X7 but I can confirm:

1. There are three ways to get back to the ED menu - with the Sg reset hotkey (I have this set to Start+A+B+C), by bringing up the Sg menu and selecting 'Run Cartridge' (no need to run Ultracore first) or by using the ED reset function (Down+Start then 'Back to Menu').

2. Most GG conversions run but seem riddled with glitches. I'm not sure if this is the nature of the conversions

3. I can confirm this is an issue on my Sg. I'm using an 8bitdo M30 2.4g.

The reason Ms. Pac-Man doesn’t work is because you have to force 3-button mode in the Mega Sg’s menu. You have to do this from an official Sega 6-button controller on an original Genesis too (hold Mode button when turning on).

Sega’s official Wireless “Remote Arcade System” and “Remote Arcade Pad” 6-button controllers officially say in the manual that the game is incompatible, so it’s because the game polls for controller input differently (Tengen/Atari did not follow standard/official programming guidelines for polling input).

The Mega Sg filters/translates input in order to do things like monitor hotkeys and the input it passes on to the games looks like a 6 button pad unless you override the settings and force 3 button mode. The Mega Sg can actually make officially incompatible controllers, like the Remote Arcade System, compatible.

In short: It’s not the Mega Sg. It’s the game... and your settings.

Edited by CZroe

https://youtu.be/0ZapslSAZCY

This one?

It was edited days ago to tell people that it wasn’t the Mega Sg... title and description.

Ms. Pac-Man is essentially a licensed, unlicensed game, made without following official programming guidelines. If polls the controller in a non-standard way that breaks with 6 button controllers. This is precisely why the Mega Sg has the option to force 3 button mode.

Sega’s official Wireless “Remote Arcade System” and “Remote Arcade Pad” 6-button controllers officially say in the manual that the game is incompatible, so it’s because the game polls for controller input differently (Tengen/Atari did not follow standard/official programming guidelines for polling input).

Do the manuals identify other incompatible games? I'd be interested in knowing which games Sega pointed out.

I think there may be a bug (as I don't remember it on my model 1) if you go in to the Options menu on TMNT Hyperstone Heist if anybody else could check out to see if it's present on your Mega Sg. There seems to be some weird shaking going on with the screen/dithering effects. Get close to your tv screen.

That's the only place I've noticed it so far. It's not really a big deal cause how much time would you actually spend in the Options menu, but just wanted to report it.

I think there may be a bug (as I don't remember it on my model 1) if you go in to the Options menu on TMNT Hyperstone Heist if anybody else could check out to see if it's present on your Mega Sg. There seems to be some weird shaking going on with the screen/dithering effects. Get close to your tv screen.

That's the only place I've noticed it so far. It's not really a big deal cause how much time would you actually spend in the Options menu, but just wanted to report it.

I saw that too the other night when I played HH. Glad I'm not crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1