3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Cutoff + 3400

Roll Off + 6

Ah, so a slightly (200 Hz) lower starting point and a lighter roll-off leaves a little extra on the high end. That's good. I'll take this as authoritative, but I'm eagerly anticipating FirebrandX's promised video. Thanks!

The big new firmware he mentioned I think was 4.3, since it wasn't out yet, and appears to have changed how every single slider works.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Wasn't that recorded before the latest firmware that changed the audio?

I guess the answer to that is "which one" - the video demonstrates the 3.8 firmware that YouTubers got to test was a brick wall kind of LPF where nothing got through, but 4.2 (the release-day firmware) corrected that. And because the video is dated 3/31, it's BEFORE the 4.3 update released on 4/1, presumably.

So yes and no. Probably to answer your question, yes. Your question is probably about 4.3

So now we have on one hand, Joe Redifer from GameSack ripping Analogue publicly saying that their video is wrong, and on the other hand we have SegaSnatcher saying these same settings that John Linneman used are basically perfect (not to mention that I used something pretty close and was very happy). So wast the audio changed in 4.3 or not? The firmware release notes indicate that only default balance was changed. Maybe?

I don't know what to think. I'll let someone else tell me what to think and think like that. Also, I need someone to tell me if this matters beyond the fact that Joe looks like a complete asshat calling out Analogue over nothing if the sliders work as they did in 4.2.

This is where we need actual experts to give good answers, but the actual experts like to tweet that forums are just worthless, so they will never see these questions.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I guess the answer to that is "which one" - the video demonstrates the 3.8 firmware that YouTubers got to test was a brick wall kind of LPF where nothing got through, but 4.2 (the release-day firmware) corrected that. And because the video is dated 3/31, it's BEFORE the 4.3 update released on 4/1, presumably.

So yes and no. Probably to answer your question, yes. Your question is probably about 4.3

So now we have on one hand, Joe Redifer from GameSack ripping Analogue publicly saying that their video is wrong, and on the other hand we have SegaSnatcher saying these same settings that John Linneman used are basically perfect (not to mention that I used something pretty close and was very happy). So wast the audio changed in 4.3 or not? The firmware release notes indicate that only default balance was changed. Maybe?

I don't know what to think. I'll let someone else tell me what to think and think like that. Also, I need someone to tell me if this matters beyond the fact that Joe looks like a complete asshat calling out Analogue over nothing if the sliders work as they did in 4.2.

This is where we need actual experts to give good answers, but the actual experts like to tweet that forums are just worthless, so they will never see these questions.

The guy from Gamesack was complaining about viewers of his complaining to him that his settings sucked. But......who knows what they think is proper? Who knows what anyone thinks is proper for that matter, but he himself said he hasn't touched it since he did the video, so he doesn't even know if his own recommendations are still good or not. As you said though, the change log from Analogue just says they changed default values, so all of his settings should still produce the same results. I guess it's easier to just bitch and moan though than to actually take a look at it.

Edit: one thing I noticed in the change log was that the ladder effect affects both channels equally now, so I guess maybe that could affect some things? I dunno, I like to think I have a pretty discerning ear, but I think it sounds fine as is and when I actually changed some things I noticed no change at all, and that was through my stereo system where I thought I would have picked up on it.

Edited by jamon1567
  • Like 1

Just got around to watching DF Retro's video, and John Linneman appears to be using basically the exact same settings as SegaSnatcher.

Check around 18:45:

https://youtu.be/_ZCQ6kN9Ie0?t=1124

FWIW, the only audio change I made from 4.2 to 4.3 was turning off HQ mode. The reason was because the ladder effect only worked right when HQ was enabled pre 4.3 firmware.

• Like 1

FWIW, the only audio change I made from 4.2 to 4.3 was turning off HQ mode. The reason was because the ladder effect only worked right when HQ was enabled pre 4.3 firmware.

That just further confirms that Analogue didn't change anything drastic in 4.3 and his rage was misplaced.

Edited by derFunkenstein

That just further confirms that Analogue didn't change anything drastic in 4.3 and his rage was misplaced.

I found it especially amusing that he even said in his own video that Analogue would be fixing things and that that was a good thing. So what do they do? They fix things and then he gets all butt hurt :lolblue: .

• Like 1

I find the default audio settings to be just right. I fiddled and diddled for a while but just ended up liking what Kevtris figures was a good default.

The defaults for 4.3 are based on Ace, FBX and Joe's (ironically) settings and findings.

SegaSnatcher did his own independent findings and found that they were similar on his own end.

Wouldn't the simple solution to having the CD audio input be enabled by default be an "auto" option that has a threshold that's just above the noise floor? Enable passthrough on a per-sample basis if the signal goes above the noise floor, have some hysteresis to keep it enabled long enough to not shut off while anything else is playing.

The ideal thing would be to have per-cart settings saved, and knowing in advance which carts have certain audio or video features would then allow the user to just load those settings for that cart, instead of all of them. In the case of CD-audio, I have to wonder why not just detect the bus connection and turn it on,

The same could be said for the SuperNT since the SGB and the SD2SNES are the only carts that have cartridge audio connections.

Not sure how the system would identify what cartridge is inserted. Wouldn't it have to dump the contents and run a checksum and compare to a database? If I'm correct, I can't imagine anyone wanting that compared to just running the cartridge directly with no delay. Some per game settings for roms being ran off SD card seems much more practical, although I'm unclear on the need here for such varying settings for Genesis cartridges.

As for Super Game Boy, I believe several of us are hoping for an easy Super Game Boy setting to be implemented that only takes a moment to check each time we use the accessory. The best video settings for the Super Game Boy aren't the same as what you want for running actual SNES software and the way it's setup now, it's a pain to manually change video settings whenever you switch back and forth between SNES games and the Super Game Boy.

It would be an obvious addition if Kevtris ever implements that to have it enable the cartridge audio at the same time whenever SGB video mode is enabled by the user on the SNT's main menu (And disable it when returning to SNES mode).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

With the SD2SNES you still don't really want cartridge audio enabled unless you're playing MSU-1 hacks, so a manual toggle is probably best.

Well, Super Game Boy also.

Much like the Hi-Def NES, I can’t see any reason to want cartridge audio on the Mega Sg. It can just digitally replicate FM Synth without analog noise, right? Unless there’s something like MSU-1 for Genesis or some other kind of cartridge audio that I’m not aware of, that just leaves CD audio.

Perhaps it can auto-enable that if you chose “Run Cartridge” with no cartridge inserted (or launch a CD BIOS from the JB)? Might confuse people leaving their CD Backup RAM carts in the slot or using their Everdrive to boot an import Sega CD BIOS or as extra Backup RAM. Still, it would solve it for the people who switch back and forth with real games and discs.

Edited by CZroe

Bam bam! 2 first time beats on the Sg, Thunder Force 3 and Castlevania Bloodlines!

Got the MiSTer, but I can't sit down and play games with it. Its just testing, tweaking and so on with that project.

The Sg brings out the joy of playing games imo.

• Like 2

Bam bam! 2 first time beats on the Sg, Thunder Force 3 and Castlevania Bloodlines!

Got the MiSTer, but I can't sit down and play games with it. Its just testing, tweaking and so on with that project.

The Sg brings out the joy of playing games imo.

Why can't you sit and play games on the MiSTer? I play more on the MiSTer than I do on the Mega SG, Super NT, or Mini NT. Although I enjoy playing on all the consoles.