1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'll have to try 1080p sometime to compare, but I found the preset 4:3 settings for 720p to be slightly too narrow for my tastes—but definitely better than 1:1 or 8:7 (for Super NT). Strangely, the preset 4:3 setting on 720p for Master System is pretty much a perfect 4:3 ratio when you take the borders into consideration. :)

Just for fun, here are the settings I've been using. I adjusted the settings while looking at my actual MD connected via RGB to my Sony PVM CRT display.

(Note my Mega SG is connected to a 4K TV and running in 720p for the better scanlines vs 1080p.)

Note that Master System games (at least when running on MD) have very noticeable borders on the top and bottom of the screen on real hardware, just like the Mega SG. The only way to get rid of these on actual hardware is to stretch the image vertically, and I doubt developers assumed customers would have access to service mode settings to do this just for playing games. Just to be safe, I also compared my Master System settings to offscreen photos of actual Master System games on CRTs I found online, and they were very close indeed.

MD/GEN & SMS COMMON SETTINGS

-----------------------------------------------

Height: 720

Horizontal/vertical interpolation: ON (i.e. NOT disabled) [i just prefer this; if you want slightly sharper, disable vertical interpolation]

Scanlines: Hybrid (+120)

RGB Range: Limited (see My Life in Gaming for an explanation why you would want to do this)

Gamma: +1.20 (all linked; only if you use scanlines, otherwise default settings)

MD/GENESIS

----------------

Width: 950 (for both 320 + 256 res games)

Top/bottom/left/right mask: ON

MASTER SYSTEM

-----------------------

Width: 890

Cropping: L 0, R 0, T 8, B 11

*On actual hardware on a CRT, there is always going to be a border on the top and bottom showing, so this should be included when calculating the 4:3 AR. These settings give you basically one "tile" worth of border on the top and bottom, which is pretty close to what my PVM shows with actual hardware. Feel free to set top and bottom cropping to 23/25 (or whatever setting completely removes them), though doing so might "fool" you into thinking the game is in "widescreen" haha.

I'm just listing these if anyone wants to give them a shot. I'm not saying they are better than anything else (FBX settings are definitely "scientifically" more accurate), but these give me an aspect ratio VERY close to that of my consoles hooked up to my CRT.

Has anybody tried saving with Rockman Mega World and Mega Man The Wily Wars on JB FW?

The EEPROM save type versions don't seem to save. While Greatest Heavyweights seemed to save fine on the latest JB FW. Also, Rockman Mega World is also labeled wrong with the unpatched versions on certain rom sets. It's using the SRAM patched version. The "Alt 1" labeled one on the set should have EEPROM serial 24C01. Just wondering if the game was a problem unpatched.

I also want to say how awesome it is that you could just simply rename an srm from the Mega EverDrive X7 to a .sav and it works so far from what I tried. EEPROM games are a different story. Also will love to see how CopyGens could work with my actual Rockman Mega World if a feature like that happened.

Edited by Nigoli

MEGA SG

Genesis Audio

Panning : -100/+100

So, if I want to emulate the grunge RF audio from my stock Model 1 VA7, which filter setting do I use? I assume 0/0 on the panning, but what else?

The stereo headphone jack on my old Model 1 VA7 does sound great and gets exclusive use on my sound system, but suppose I want to emulate the VA7 exclusive "grunge" filter from the rear mono/rf using the Mega SG? :dunce:

Still a huge improvement over Atgames! :rolling:

I actually quite like the default settings of the Mega SG. No tuning required for me it sounds crystal clear and perhaps even better than a real Genesis. However I understand the need for the controls and changing it to sound like a specific Genesis. That said although Kevtris has done amazing work on the audio side, I do think the one missing thing which would upgrade the sound options would be presets... like you could select the specific model of Genesis or something... that would be pretty cool!

So, if I want to emulate the grunge RF audio from my stock Model 1 VA7, which filter setting do I use? I assume 0/0 on the panning, but what else?

The stereo headphone jack on my old Model 1 VA7 does sound great and gets exclusive use on my sound system, but suppose I want to emulate the VA7 exclusive "grunge" filter from the rear mono/rf using the Mega SG? :dunce:

Still a huge improvement over Atgames! :rolling:

The way I read those settings was that you use 100/100 panning on all of the settings, for Genesis anyway.

Edited by jamon1567

I actually quite like the default settings of the Mega SG. No tuning required for me it sounds crystal clear and perhaps even better than a real Genesis. However I understand the need for the controls and changing it to sound like a specific Genesis. That said although Kevtris has done amazing work on the audio side, I do think the one missing thing which would upgrade the sound options would be presets... like you could select the specific model of Genesis or something... that would be pretty cool!

Agreed, presets would be great.

The way I read those settings was that you use 100/100 panning on all of the settings, for Genesis anyway.

I was half joking about the Genesis mono multiout VA7 "grunge" sound, though the stereo headphone output sounds very clean on my original system.

I do however believe if the mono mixing circuit from the VA7 could be isolated and incorporated into a guitar preamp, it would make an awesome retro effects pedal! :music:

If someone isolated the stereo-mono mixing circuit inside the VA7 Genesis, they could simply add a third input via grounded tuning pot with input resistance (to adjust gain), add a preamp if they wanna directly plug in a guitar, and route the guitar input to a 1/8" jack on the side of the console.

To use as grunge effects pedal: boot the system without a cart, plug in the guitar, and plug the Din connector to a sound system or mixing deck. To play games, boot the system with a cart and play. Add your own Guitar riffs to sonic 3 & Knuckles sound test if you want! ???

Has anybody tried saving with Rockman Mega World and Mega Man The Wily Wars on JB FW?

The EEPROM save type versions don't seem to save. While Greatest Heavyweights seemed to save fine on the latest JB FW. Also, Rockman Mega World is also labeled wrong with the unpatched versions on certain rom sets. It's using the SRAM patched version. The "Alt 1" labeled one on the set should have EEPROM serial 24C01. Just wondering if the game was a problem unpatched.

I also want to say how awesome it is that you could just simply rename an srm from the Mega EverDrive X7 to a .sav and it works so far from what I tried. EEPROM games are a different story. Also will love to see how CopyGens could work with my actual Rockman Mega World if a feature like that happened.

I haven't updated to the latest version, but Wily Wars saved fine for me on the Mega Sg (alternatively, I've had no end of issues with saving games on it using the X7).

I haven't updated to the latest version, but Wily Wars saved fine for me on the Mega Sg (alternatively, I've had no end of issues with saving games on it using the X7).

Have you tried looking at the Rom status for the rom you're using? Does it use EEPROM and have the serial code 24C01 for it on the X7?

Edited by Nigoli

I've been away for a bit, sega-ing around. Any recent word on more cart adapters?

Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath on these?

Yes, this. I wants a Game Gear adapter. I actually have a small stack of game carts I was planning on playing on the big screen. Zero desire to buy a refurb Game Gear unit though.

• Like 1

The readme mentioned that serial EEPROM saves were detected with a hash table, you might wanna just use the sram patched copy based on the readme language

I've been away for a bit, sega-ing around. Any recent word on more cart adapters?

Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath on these?

Id feel pretty let down if we didnt get them. The promise of the game gear and MS card adapters are in no small part why I bought a Mega SG, after all I have a perfectly good MD.

OT but does anyone know why apostrophes are not showing in my posts? Im using either an iPhone or iPad to post.

• Like 1

Id feel pretty let down if we didnt get them. The promise of the game gear and MS card adapters are in no small part why I bought a Mega SG, after all I have a perfectly good MD.

OT but does anyone know why apostrophes are not showing in my posts? Im using either an iPhone or iPad to post.

This goes all the way back to the SupeNT for me as well with the DAC. I really want the GameGear adapter and the DAC. I thought the DAC was coming relatively soon after the SuperNT but Analogue has hardly even mentioned it. They mentioned it like twice in 2018. Once in July confirming it is still a thing that was almost complete but put on the back burner (probably to switch to developing the MegaSG). Then again in October just saying it is still a thing but no release date.

Edited by Toth

This goes all the way back to the SupeNT for me as well with the DAC. I really want the GameGear adapter and the DAC. I thought the DAC was coming relatively soon after the SuperNT but Analogue has hardly even mentioned it (maybe like twice in a year in a very short reply to someone on Twitter or something confirming it is still a thing that was almost complete in July 2018 but was put on the back burner).

Well with the Mega SG the cartridge adaptors are mentioned multiple times throughout the pre order/purchase page so that gives me hope.

The readme mentioned that serial EEPROM saves were detected with a hash table, you might wanna just use the sram patched copy based on the readme language

I already played the SRAM version on my X7 and put the file over to my Mega Sg.

Kind of want to just replay it again with EEPROM support if I could make that happen.

Has anyone attempted to use the Retrofreak Game Gear adapter with the Mega SG? Does it work?

Metal Jesus tried it with the Hyperkin 3-in-1 adapter. Sega MyCard and Master System worked but not Game Gear. Then again, this was pre-launch so the FW didn’t have the GG core like the JB FW, so results may be different after the JB.

https://youtu.be/ufhJ89wAYrs

About 16 minutes in.

The only issues I’ve had on some games is when using the game genie tool on the Mega Sg the save states sometimes don’t work on Mega Everdrive X7. It’s basically hit and miss. When you turn off game genie it works fine again.

Has anyone got the Sonic and Knuckles & Sonic 2 working with the jailbreak firmware it just shows a black screen for me happens on roms and carts.

There's an Everdrive-fixed version of the combined ROM that you need, and that one works on the JB for me. I don't have an S&K real cart to test with, though.

edited.

Edited by derFunkenstein