1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

No I meant for the original Playstation. I have a Playstation classic but I only bought it for the controllers to use on my PC. I would like to use them with the PSOne (PSX I guess it is abbreviated) console.

I know but if they make one for PS2 and it isn’t a USB dongle then it should inherently work with both, since PS2 controllers are backwards-compatible. It seems that they don’t want to get involved with analog except in their Pro controllers that aren’t explicitly for retro consoles. Heck, even the N64 controller was co-branded with Retrobit and didn’t work on an original N64.

It’s probably difficult to translate exactly. Asking for something with analog buttons and sticks like the PS2 has is probably asking for too much but I can still hope that a PSX/PS2 Retro Receiver could support both modes. Perhaps it could sync with a SIXAXIS or DS4.

Surprisingly, I use DualShock4 with my NES Retro Receivers more often than I do Wii Remotes. DS3 requires a USB connection to pair so you have to do it with a PC and the whole thing gets complicated but a PSX/PS2 Retro Receiver could conceivably include the USB port for pairing directly. That’d be cool!

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but is something like this what you guys are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Gam3Gear-Adapter-Controller-Converter-Keychain/dp/B07543W7XS

I've been using a handful of those for a while and they work fine for pairing a ps4 controller to ps1/2. They also seem to work with most adapters i've found, that adapt some other console to ps1/2, like a 3do or dreamcast, or PC Engine.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but is something like this what you guys are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Gam3Gear-Adapter-Controller-Converter-Keychain/dp/B07543W7XS

I've been using a handful of those for a while and they work fine for pairing a ps4 controller to ps1/2. They also seem to work with most adapters i've found, that adapt some other console to ps1/2, like a 3do or dreamcast, or PC Engine.

If those have Bluetooth they sure could make that clearer. You ha ego read between the lines where they say that the PS3 and PS4 controllers will connect automatically but must be plugged in with USB first to be recognized. PS4 controller actually doesn’t need that to pair with a BT device so I’m still a bit confused.

We were talking about a non-existent device. The 8bitdo Retro Receiver line is a set of Bluetooth adapters for classic consoles. Hyperkin is selling some NES/SNES BT controllers that seem to have rebranded Retro Receivers and it seems that RetroBit is introducing a line of them. RetroBit has worked with 8BitDo in the past (N64 BT controller) so I suspect their BT dongles will also be from 8BitDo.

If the Brook Super Converter for PS/PS2 already does this, awesome, but they really need to clarify. Is it or is it not a wireless adapter? If it is, does it support other BT controllers or just SIXAXIS/DS4? In addition to SIXAXIS/DS4 support, 8BitDo adapters typically support Wii Remote, connected Wii accessories, a line of 8BitDo BT controllers, and most BT controllers you might have lying around.

If those have Bluetooth they sure could make that clearer. You ha ego read between the lines where they say that the PS3 and PS4 controllers will connect automatically but must be plugged in with USB first to be recognized. PS4 controller actually doesn’t need that to pair with a BT device so I’m still a bit confused.

We were talking about a non-existent device. The 8bitdo Retro Receiver line is a set of Bluetooth adapters for classic consoles. Hyperkin is selling some NES/SNES BT controllers that seem to have rebranded Retro Receivers and it seems that RetroBit is introducing a line of them. RetroBit has worked with 8BitDo in the past (N64 BT controller) so I suspect their BT dongles will also be from 8BitDo.

If the Brook Super Converter for PS/PS2 already does this, awesome, but they really need to clarify. Is it or is it not a wireless adapter? If it is, does it support other BT controllers or just SIXAXIS/DS4? In addition to SIXAXIS/DS4 support, 8BitDo adapters typically support Wii Remote, connected Wii accessories, a line of 8BitDo BT controllers, and most BT controllers you might have lying around.

I know you were talking about a non-existent device from 8bitdo, I just meant: does this satisfy your requirements?

Yeah, I think they are being unclear by lumping the PS3/4 together in the description. It does work with PS4 controllers just fine wirelessly, pairing with holding the ps + share like it does with the actual ps4 console, or the 8bit do snes receivers. As for other BT controllers, I'll have to test it when i get a chance, I assume at least the 8bitdo ones should work fine. I know i have one of those snes pro ones with the sticks somewhere around here.

Update: I tried pairing my sf30 pro to it, and I could not get it to work wirelessly. It seems to work in switch mode wired.

Actually in order to re-pair my ps4 controller i also did have to plug it back in, pair, then unplug it. Maybe that's how it always worked, not sure. I have a different ps4 controller for everything that uses one and have been using them a while, so not sure how I originally paired it.

Edited by ErebusMaligan

Got a strange email from 8BitDo after ordering the Genesis/Megadrive DIY kit and Retro Receivers. It seems that they are offering previous customers 5 “store credits” for “Check out our new Modkits for Playstation 1.”

Absolutely nowhere does it tell you what the credits are or what they are good for until you start trying to check out. For me it showed a $5 discount. Perhaps the ambiguity is because they could translate to 5€ or 5£ or whatever depending on your currency.

Anyhow, I don’t think you have to spend it on one of the new PlayStation DIY kits. I ordered one for PS Classic and a second one for SNES, since I have 10 NOS original SNES shells, buttons, and rubber membranes. This could make the Genesis / Megadrive DIY kit + Retro Receiver deal even better. The Retro Receiver is still $17 with purchase of a Genesis DIY board ($20). Minus $5 makes it $32 + shipping. Shipping was only $4 for me but be careful: it defaults to a much more expensive shipping option.

The board fits Hyperkin GN6 and RetroBit Genesis 6bt replica controllers as well as originals Genesis 6bt controllers despite 8BitDo only listing the Japanese model. In light of this, paying the Amazon price of $50 for the M30 + Retro Receiver sounds less appealing. Don’t get me wrong: The M30 is great but the BT version is a terrible value compared to the proprietary wireless one. If you do plan to go that way the Retro Receivers were $16 each on Ali Express last I checked.

If you’ve ever ordered from them before, check your email. Even though they just went out today they expire on the 24th.

I know you were talking about a non-existent device from 8bitdo, I just meant: does this satisfy your requirements?

Yeah, I think they are being unclear by lumping the PS3/4 together in the description. It does work with PS4 controllers just fine wirelessly, pairing with holding the ps + share like it does with the actual ps4 console, or the 8bit do snes receivers. As for other BT controllers, I'll have to test it when i get a chance, I assume at least the 8bitdo ones should work fine. I know i have one of those snes pro ones with the sticks somewhere around here.

Update: I tried pairing my sf30 pro to it, and I could not get it to work wirelessly. It seems to work in switch mode wired.

Actually in order to re-pair my ps4 controller i also did have to plug it back in, pair, then unplug it. Maybe that's how it always worked, not sure. I have a different ps4 controller for everything that uses one and have been using them a while, so not sure how I originally paired it.

Interesting. Thanks! I’m guessing DS4 has a PS3-style pairing mode for PSNow and PlayStation TV. Edited by CZroe

I just got my retro-bit blue controller today. Not terribly pleased. That'll teach me to follow the hype without assuming the worst right off the bat, amirite? It's got the 'push flat down in the center' d-pad instead of the 'rocks under your thumb' of the originals. Why the heck is any of this still a thing? It's an officially licensed product, so there shouldn't be any kind of patent/trademark problem, right? So what could possibly motivate this design choice?

Will it take an original thumb disc? Or more importantly is its crisp button rubber a direct fit in a sega pad?

What's your take on these after a week +? I'm considering picking up a couple, but figured I'd see if you still think they're kinda blah, or managed to get that "thumb disc" issue ironed out.

What's your take on these after a week +? I'm considering picking up a couple, but figured I'd see if you still think they're kinda blah, or managed to get that "thumb disc" issue ironed out.

I never touched it again, and probably never will.

It's an attractive case, and so much is right with it, but I have no use for a controller with a bad d-pad.

If it wasn't worth their time to get right, it's certainly not worth mine to fix it.

It's been 25+ years. Lots of time for us to develop new materials, technologies and techniques. Tons of time for us to refine the old design to remove the few flaws of the original. Modern Genesis controllers should be far better than their 90's counterparts. This device, like so many, manages to be worse. It's not even a properly faithful copy, much less an improvement. Contrast that to the FPGA systems we're plugging these into.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Do those work with the PS3/PS4 controller wirelessly? It seems like they're saying that, which is amazing.

Do those work with the PS3/PS4 controller wirelessly? It seems like they're saying that, which is amazing.

I've never actually tested them with a ps3 controller, though they claim to work. I do have one, so I could though if anyone is interested.

PS4 definitely works fine. It seems like you have to pair them wired, but after that they can be used wirelessly forever. I've been using them for a couple years maybe? on my ps1, ps2, 3do (with a 3do to ps2 adapter in the chain first), dreamcast (with some sketchy looking but perfectly functioning dc to ps2 adapter).

Pretty sure I've tested them working through some other adapters like gamecube to ps2 and xbox to ps2... but don't quote me on that, I just tested those ones because I had them, not something i regularly use.

Essentially between those and the 8bitdo nes/snes receivers, I switched any consoles that don't need a 6 button layout over to wirless ps4 a while ago. I want to say I had like 8 ps4 controllers years before i ever actually owned a ps4.

I've never actually tested them with a ps3 controller, though they claim to work. I do have one, so I could though if anyone is interested.

PS4 definitely works fine. It seems like you have to pair them wired, but after that they can be used wirelessly forever. I've been using them for a couple years maybe? on my ps1, ps2, 3do (with a 3do to ps2 adapter in the chain first), dreamcast (with some sketchy looking but perfectly functioning dc to ps2 adapter).

Pretty sure I've tested them working through some other adapters like gamecube to ps2 and xbox to ps2... but don't quote me on that, I just tested those ones because I had them, not something i regularly use.

Essentially between those and the 8bitdo nes/snes receivers, I switched any consoles that don't need a 6 button layout over to wirless ps4 a while ago. I want to say I had like 8 ps4 controllers years before i ever actually owned a ps4.

Either way I'd have to buy a controller to keep from having to unpair and repair constantly, and I'd just as soon get a DS4 anyway. There are loads of new DS3 counterfeits on the internet in real-looking "Sony" boxes. The ones that come without a mini USB cable are NOT genuine Sony, feel cheap and light, and the buttons have way too much travel. Unfortunately I spent $40 to find that out the hard way. :(

Not that they announce much in advance but any news from (or about) Analogue? I know, the Mega SG is still pretty new, but I always look for news of what might be occurring behind the scenes like if 32x adapter hardware or software solutions have even a tidbit to report on. The big elephant in the room in my view is the continued 'out of stock' Analogue NT Mini. If Kevtris sees this, I hope he will pass on to Analogue an idea I am sure is not new to them...

Now we obviously can't know Analogue's business strategy, but I hope they will consider this. Many classic gamers had a favorite system or brand. I was a SEGA owner (SMS, GameGear and Genesis) but I played SOME Nintendo at friend's places. I will be getting an Analogue Mega SG soon even though I already have a MiST and MiSTer which both cover Sega's lineup very well. A Super NT I don't think I have the nostalgic background to justify buying (AND I have a MiSTer). HOWEVER, IF Analogue doesn't want to spread itself too thin by re-releasing the Mini NT anymore, I'm sure sales of the Super NT would vastly increase if an official, non jailbreak firmware update added core support for NES, Famicom, Gameboy and Gameboy Color; putting it more on par with the Mega SG. I would THEN buy one!

Hopefully, a future jailbreak for the Mega SG will offer the other obscure cores that sadly are inaccessible to those that missed out on the NT/mini.

• Like 4

I feel like a cheaper, HDMI only version of the Nt Mini is a no-brainer at some point. It would work with the DAC they are releasing and they could release a Gameboy cartridge adapter. I'd imagine the people selling the AVS hope they do not do that...

Edited by Toth
  • Like 2

I feel like a cheaper, HDMI only version of the Nt Mini is a no-brainer at some point. It would work with the DAC they are releasing and they could release a Gameboy cartridge adapter. I'd imagine the people selling the AVS hope they do not do that...

Yeah, if Analogue releases a plastic, HDMI-only Nt Mini, the AVS is probably done. Especially once there's a jailbreak.

Either way I'd have to buy a controller to keep from having to unpair and repair constantly, and I'd just as soon get a DS4 anyway.

Wish it supported guest pairing like the Wii Remote.

Wii Remote guest-pairing is super-convenient for the NES Retro Receivers or anything you might play with a Classic Controller + Wiimote. Wish every BT device had something like that.

For those who don’t know:

You pair a Wii Remote with a console long-term using the sync button under the battery door but a simple button combination, 1+2, pairs temporarily with another console as a guest. You don’t have to remove the jacket or even touch the battery door. Guest pairing doesn’t over-write the old pairing data on the remote so it will remain paired with your console. You can still hit power on the remote and start playing your console when you go home.

This also lets you temporarily pair it with something like a smart phone or Retro Receiver if you have those in the same home but still use the controller primarily with the Wii/Wii U or something else. I wish every BT device could do this!

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

For those who don’t know:

You pair a Wii Remote with a console long-term using the sync button under the battery door but a simple button combination, 1+2, pairs temporarily with another console as a guest. You don’t have to remove the jacket or even touch the battery door. Guest pairing doesn’t over-write the old pairing data on the remote so it will remain paired with your console. You can still hit power on the remote and start playing your console when you go home.

Holy shit I never knew this. Game changer.

• Like 3

All we know is the DAC is 2019 based on the manual. The cart adapters are referenced in the manual as sold separately but that is it. The lack of communication about the cart adapters and the DAC is disappointing.

Edited by Toth
  • Like 2

This is just my imaginary possible future Analogue Atari system: If they gave Atari the Sega treatment, imagine an FPGA console released that did the 2600, 5200, and 7800, Lynx and Jaguar. With my MiST and MiSTer, I couldn't justify a 2600/5200/7800 only system. 7800 is interesting because there is yet any RGB mod, nor FPGA core to date EXCEPT for Kevtris's for the NT Mini. He already finished his 2600/7800 cores (unless tweaks remain). I am dying for a Lynx core SOMEWHERE, and a Kevtris version would really twist my arm for a purchase.

A Jaguar core would be great to be a complete Atari console solution (Ataribox/VCS who??), though I doubt the system would be marketed as a new Jaguar. 2600 or All-in-One seems wiser.

My preferred design: the cartridge slot would be for Jaguar to allow for a real Jaguar CD drive to fit (like the Mega SG works with Sega CD). If it came with a 7800/2600 cart adapter bundled (if not also a 5200 one, a separate cart adapter for purchase). That lineup would be an attractive purchase. With the 5200 being so close to the A800 series, if from day one or with future firmware, an A800 core would be a must buy for me. ST and Falcon cores would be a "take my money" moment for me.

Case design: Rounded rectangular like the Super NT/Mega SG. Available in these theme variants: Original heavy sixer woodgrain, 7800/2600 jr silver stripe on black, Jaguar red/black, and Atari XEGS (my mind just made a800 mandatory. :) Imagine a mini A8 with HDMI as a XEGS!). 4 front DB9 ports (2 button support for 7800) like the Atari 400/800.

Top panel buttons: Power + at least 4 function buttons, rounded like the XEGS or Flashback 2. for 2600 they could act like a 4-switch model, and A8 could be reset, select start and option if not a help key (OSD menu could work for some, especially if ST core). Maybe production would be easier with white buttons for the XEGS look to look ST themed (with swappable XEGS pastel buttons included.) Though I'd love a port to plug in an XEGS keyboard, two USB ports for keyboard/mouse makes more sense. MAYBE one rear SIO port to use a real floppy drive, etc. Cart adapters so any and all Atari carts work on one system would be pretty sweet. A Jailbreak to play from SD would be even better.

Anyway, I hope people like my ramblings. I revisited images of all the systems and started dreaming... :) I haven't the image manipulation skills/tools to do a mockup, but would be entertained greatly if others want to try.

Anyway, I hope people like my ramblings. I revisited images of all the systems and started dreaming... :) I haven't the image manipulation skills/tools to do a mockup, but would be entertained greatly if others want to try.

It's always nice to dream, and typing out those dreams to share them with others is always nice too, but I'm afraid this is the kind of post that requires a reality check: There aren't enough potential buyers out there to warrant the creation of such a multi-Atari device. The best we're ever going to get is what we got with the jailbreak cores on the NT Mini.

It does make me wonder what gaming console would have a fanbase large enough to make an FPGA equivalent worth developing, given that the NT Mini, Super Nt and Mega Sg are now reality. The original PlayStation is an obvious answer, but as far as I know, Sony still upholds their copyright over the BIOS and an FPGA console with a CD drive wouldn't be all that desirable since it has "eventual hardware failure" written all over it.

An FPGA PC-Engine with a proper HuCard slot and expansion port for the CD add-on would be interesting, I suppose, but the Turbografx-16 never made that much of an impact in North-America. The Nintendo 64 would be a valid candidate, but not sure how Nintendo would react to that one... and there's also that gawd-awful N64 controller to deal with.

Saturn and Dreamcast are very complicated machines for an FPGA implementation (same goes for the Game Cube) and again, those consoles have disc drives so they would be a slightly harder sell, especially given that the original consoles are still widely available and perfectly functional if one is willing to put cash on the table to get them. It would be more sensible (and probably cheaper) to let modern developers re-release the best games from those consoles on the Switch/PS4/XBox (like what they're doing with MediEvil on the PS4 this year).

When it comes to return-on-investment promise, the only valid candidate I see is the Game Boy Advance, with GB and GBC support included. There are lots of GB/GBC/GBA carts in the wild (and repro outlets are already well-established) so a GBA-to-TV FPGA console with Super-NES controller ports seems like a no-brainer to me, but I know the GBA is a 32-bit system so it would be a challenge and a half to develop.

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 2

They should have more options like they used to have with the Analogue Nt. I would not mind paying $500 or more for a Blue anodized version of the Nt Mini. I don't think I'd care much for a re-release that's just plastic.

Thought about going to an anodizer for my Black Nt Mini to make it a Blue one. Never did because I figured it might decrease in value and how the quality would be of the anodizing.

I'm also hoping for a special edition of the Mega Sg, perhaps a Blue one since there's already White. Also, I could see 8bitdo doing M30 in different colors. M30 seemed well received as a controller.

Edited by Nigoli

So is the Mega Sg considered finalized at this point? Or are there any additional features or fixes on the way? It seems like it's been a pretty quiet post launch compared to the Super Nt.

Is there any chance we'll get more cores released for it? I think the Atari 2600 core would could make sense if you consider that the ColecoVision core was released, and the ColecoVision had an accessory (Expansion Module #1) which allows you to play Atari 2600 games on it. Then we really wouldn't need that Coleco Phoenix FPGA.

I also hope we can get a definitive answer on when the cart adapters might go up for sale.

I need them all.

AnalogueCartAdapters-vgo.png

If someone were to build their own *.cart to 64 pin Genesis port adapter would the Mega Sg know which system cart were inserted and load the corresponding system core? Any chance that would also work with the ColecoVision?

• Like 1