1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Dreams don't need reality checks when you know they are dreams. :) Still, some reality may apply as far as the market. As much as I'd prefer a Neo Geo and PC-Engine offering from Analogue, I think if ANY other company has the name recognition to warrant the next console, it's Atari. People laughed at the Ataribox before funding, and videos are dedicated to the shock that not only was the goal reached, but millions over. People are still laughing at what is now the Atari VCS, but obviously for different reasons now. Still, that and all the Atari Flashbacks that still sell well, should be a good indicator for the market. If Analogue really wanted to take the sales that would have gone to the Coleco Phoenix FPGA or new Intellivision, let alone fill the void in the hearts of people let down by the VCS, Analogue has ripe timing opportunities. One thing I forgot to mention are controllers. If my Analogue Atari ever came to be, The Jag doesn't use DB9 so I'd welcome Retrobit and 8bitdo making new Jaguar and 5200 controllers. I'm actually surprised with the keypad compatibility issues that someone hasn't made modern usb Coleco/Intellivision/5200/ Jaguar controllers. That new Atari prototype controller featured on youtube (The Immortal John Hancock channel) looks promising. For a pack-in game, I don't know much about what's out there for unreleased titles on atari platforms, but I'd be happy if the ORIGINAL what-was-to-be "Star Raiders II" prototype got some love.

Though I never liked the Gameboy, that might be the other idea for Analogue - a handheld FPGA console (probably marketed as a Gameboy)- if it did GB, GBC, GBA AND GG and Lynx, PCE would be nice since there was a portable PC Express, though technically that enters Nomad territory and SMS adapter which would dilute the Mega SG sales obviously. Still, some rarer handhelds like Gamemate would be fun 'bonus' cores in jailbreak firmware. I'm sure after 535 thread replies this idea has probably been mentioned.

Dreams don't need reality checks when you know they are dreams. :) Still, some reality may apply as far as the market. As much as I'd prefer a Neo Geo and PC-Engine offering from Analogue, I think if ANY other company has the name recognition to warrant the next console, it's Atari.

That is a fair point. And now that I think about it, I can recognize that there could be a market for an Atari 5200 FPGA console that also plays Atari 2600 and 7800 games with a cartridge adapter. The main sore point about the 5200 was the controller, but with a 5200 controller with a self-centering analog thumbstick and a proper 12-key keypad, such an FPGA console could actually turn some heads. If you want to go the distance with this, Analogue could also add a PS2 (or perhaps even USB) connector for a keyboard, and offer Atari 400 and 800 computer cores down the line. Then you'd have a one-stop Atari FPGA product (Jaguar and Lynx notwithstanding) that could grab some significant market attention.

I never touched it again, and probably never will.

It's an attractive case, and so much is right with it, but I have no use for a controller with a bad d-pad.

If it wasn't worth their time to get right, it's certainly not worth mine to fix it.

It's been 25+ years. Lots of time for us to develop new materials, technologies and techniques. Tons of time for us to refine the old design to remove the few flaws of the original. Modern Genesis controllers should be far better than their 90's counterparts. This device, like so many, manages to be worse. It's not even a properly faithful copy, much less an improvement. Contrast that to the FPGA systems we're plugging these into.

Nobody puts R&D into their product anymore. It's an "if it works, ship it" philosophy. They aren't going to take the necessary steps by ordering additional prototypes to tefine the product further to get it from 90% completed to holy crap this kicks ass 100%. Nintendo and Sega stood by the quality of their products back in the day much like Apple and Samsung do now. Fly by night Chinese distributers know that a couple extra bucks in R&D will result in lower profit per item sold. People will buy a polished turd over a quality product just to save a couple bucks, then assume all retro gear is garbage and throw it out. Sad but true.
  • Like 1

I never touched it again, and probably never will.

It's an attractive case, and so much is right with it, but I have no use for a controller with a bad d-pad.

If it wasn't worth their time to get right, it's certainly not worth mine to fix it.

It's been 25+ years. Lots of time for us to develop new materials, technologies and techniques. Tons of time for us to refine the old design to remove the few flaws of the original. Modern Genesis controllers should be far better than their 90's counterparts. This device, like so many, manages to be worse. It's not even a properly faithful copy, much less an improvement. Contrast that to the FPGA systems we're plugging these into.

Nobody puts R&D into their product anymore. It's an "if it works, ship it" philosophy. They aren't going to take the necessary steps by ordering additional prototypes to tefine the product further to get it from 90% completed to holy crap this kicks ass 100%. Nintendo and Sega stood by the quality of their products back in the day much like Apple and Samsung do now. Fly by night Chinese distributers know that a couple extra bucks in R&D will result in lower profit per item sold. People will buy a polished turd over a quality product just to save a couple bucks, then assume all retro gear is garbage and throw it out. Sad but true.

Has there been any news on the cart adapters?

AnalogueCartAdapters-vgo.png

One of the main reasons I bought the Mega Sg was to be able to use my original Game Gear carts and play them on a large screen.

I'd like to get one of each.

I bought a stack of Game Gear carts a while back and cannot play them on my Sega SG...?
  • Like 1

The weird part is that so many are claiming that they are great and every bit as good as the original.

To those people: Just look at where the individual wires attach to the board and tell me that again. I dare ya.

It seems that their entire perspective toward the exact same replica controller changed overnight based on nothing more than reissuing it with a new logo and licensed packaging.

Now, the RetroBit controller may be better than the Hyperkin GN6 due to the noted rubber membrane difference and I have no doubt that both are “good enough” for most people but I would never describe either as being the same quality as the original. One serious look at the pictures or YouTube disassemblies and you can see that it simply isn’t true.

The Old Skool PGS ControlPad for TG16 is another good example of what you were talking about. Console5 just announced that they had replacement cables back in-stock for TG16 controllers. These have a standard DIN connector on the end that doesn’t have the same molding as the original. On the other hand, the Old Skool controller has the same molding as the original controller and the plug end looks almost identical, but the similarity falls apart once you open it. Inside the wires go straight to the board with no disconnect or bracing where the Console5 cable connects the same, better, way as the original.

Old Skool’s manufacturer only cared about the external look. I’m 100% sure that the Hyperkin, Old Skool, RetroBit, Tomee, etc controllers are all made by the same manufacturer, so Old Skool’s cable is more relevant to the RetroBit’s Genesis controllers than it might appear. Sure enough, take a look at any disassembly of the RetroBit Genesis controller and you will see the exact same thing: they bothered with the external appearance but not the internal one. Heck, even having a clear controller didn’t make a difference. FYI: Amazon’s thumbnail shows Atari plugs or something and not the Genesis-style plugs that RetroBit actually has, so ignore that. ;)

• Like 1

So is the Mega Sg considered finalized at this point? Or are there any additional features or fixes on the way? It seems like it's been a pretty quiet post launch compared to the Super Nt.

Kevtris has been working on bugfixes the past few days so I'm guessing there will be a new firmware soon. He has a large todo list of bugfixes (and some features), but he's balancing it with some other mystery work.

• Like 1

Nobody puts R&D into their product anymore. It's an "if it works, ship it" philosophy. They aren't going to take the necessary steps by ordering additional prototypes to tefine the product further to get it from 90% completed to holy crap this kicks ass 100%. Nintendo and Sega stood by the quality of their products back in the day much like Apple and Samsung do now. Fly by night Chinese distributers know that a couple extra bucks in R&D will result in lower profit per item sold. People will buy a polished turd over a quality product just to save a couple bucks, then assume all retro gear is garbage and throw it out. Sad but true.I bought a stack of Game Gear carts a while back and cannot play them on my Sega SG...?

Yeah, same here, I bought these last year with plans of playing through them on the Sg.

I know I could just play the roms, but I like playing from physical copies when possible.

zzGG-ShinobiI_and_II-vgo.jpg

In addition, the caps on my Game Gear have just started failing. I was done with GG hardware anyway. I prefer a large display.

zzGameGear_Bad_Caps_02-2018.jpg

• Like 2

The weird part is that so many are claiming that they are great and every bit as good as the original.

To those people: Just look at where the individual wires attach to the board and tell me that again. I dare ya.

It seems that their entire perspective toward the exact same replica controller changed overnight based on nothing more than reissuing it with a new logo and licensed packaging.

Now, the RetroBit controller may be better than the Hyperkin GN6 due to the noted rubber membrane difference and I have no doubt that both are good enough for most people but I would never describe either as being the same quality as the original. One serious look at the pictures or YouTube disassemblies and you can see that it simply isnt true.

The Old Skool PGS ControlPad for TG16 is another good example of what you were talking about. Console5 just announced that they had replacement cables back in-stock for TG16 controllers. These have a standard DIN connector on the end that doesnt have the same molding as the original. On the other hand, the Old Skool controller has the same molding as the original controller and the plug end looks almost identical, but the similarity falls apart once you open it. Inside the wires go straight to the board with no disconnect or bracing where the Console5 cable connects the same, better, way as the original.

Old Skools manufacturer only cared about the external look. Im 100% sure that the Hyperkin, Old Skool, RetroBit, Tomee, etc controllers are all made by the same manufacturer, so Old Skools cable is more relevant to the RetroBits Genesis controllers than it might appear. Sure enough, take a look at any disassembly of the RetroBit Genesis controller and you will see the exact same thing: they bothered with the external appearance but not the internal one. Heck, even having a clear controller didnt make a difference. FYI: Amazons thumbnail shows Atari plugs or something and not the Genesis-style plugs that RetroBit actually has, so ignore that. ;)

Will the Console5 cables fit the Japanese PC engine controllers? What about the 6 button controllers? I need a good, not outlandisly expensive controer for street fighter iI (and strip fighter ?)

Will the Console5 cables fit the Japanese PC engine controllers? What about the 6 button controllers? I need a good, not outlandisly expensive controer for street fighter iI (and strip fighter [emoji849])

Someone asked him that on FB and he said he would verify. They have the same external pin out and I assume the same order of connections inside. Since you make your own joysticks:

https://console5.com/wiki/File:Avenue_Pad_6_Schematic.png

• Like 1

Now, the RetroBit controller may be better than the Hyperkin GN6 due to the noted rubber membrane difference and I have no doubt that both are “good enough” for most people but I would never describe either as being the same quality as the original. One serious look at the pictures or YouTube disassemblies and you can see that it simply isn’t true.

I still have doubts about what you say about the controllers being the same (though no doubt they are made in China). The build quality of the Retro-bit controllers is noticeably better than the GN6, which feels cheap in comparison (which still is decent for a clone controller). It's an older GN6, though I heard similar comments about the build quality. Maybe the reason the boards are similar is that they are both based on the same controller? I generally hear bad things about Old Skool products too. I found the retro-bit controller to be one of the better clones out there and comes much closer to the original than previous clones (and I didn't find the pressing down to harm anything or affect the response of the controls). I did hear that some pads are looser than others, so there does seem to be a QC issue, though.

One of the better clone controllers I have used is the Krikzz Joyzz. It definitely nails the d-pad and the feel of the buttons (d-pad has a nice tilt and doesn't press down). There are still some things that feel cheap considering the price, though. The paint over the start button is already fading (something that didn't even happen with the Hyperkin controller) and the end part fell off the receiver a couple times (though it was easy to put back on and is staying on). No LED lights that are visible on the controller either. The response is excellent and it works great with the Genesis and Mega SG.

I wish analogue would post more actual updates on their Twitter instead of pictures. I'm interested in the Mark III/SG-1000 adapter since I have a few Mark III and SG-1000 carts to play on the JP SMS.

Edited by BrianC

SegaPicoBanner.png

Would it make sense for the Mega Sg to support the Sega Pico system?

As with the Sega Genesis, the Pico also utilizes a 16-bit Motorola 68000 CPU. So with the addition of this, it would support all 8 & 16-bit Sega consoles.

It seems like it could be a great system for those who have children.

SegaPicoGames.png

I still have doubts about what you say about the controllers being the same (though no doubt they are made in China). The build quality of the Retro-bit controllers is noticeably better than the GN6, which feels cheap in comparison (which still is decent for a clone controller). It's an older GN6, though I heard similar comments about the build quality. Maybe the reason the boards are similar is that they are both based on the same controller? I generally hear bad things about Old Skool products too. I found the retro-bit controller to be one of the better clones out there and comes much closer to the original than previous clones (and I didn't find the pressing down to harm anything or affect the response of the controls). I did hear that some pads are looser than others, so there does seem to be a QC issue, though.

One of the better clone controllers I have used is the Krikzz Joyzz. It definitely nails the d-pad and the feel of the buttons (d-pad has a nice tilt and doesn't press down). There are still some things that feel cheap considering the price, though. The paint over the start button is already fading (something that didn't even happen with the Hyperkin controller) and the end part fell off the receiver a couple times (though it was easy to put back on and is staying on). No LED lights that are visible on the controller either. The response is excellent and it works great with the Genesis and Mega SG.

I wish analogue would post more actual updates on their Twitter instead of pictures. I'm interested in the Mark III/SG-1000 adapter since I have a few Mark III and SG-1000 carts to play on the JP SMS.

They’re a lot more similar than just being based on the same controller. Everything from the chip-on-board production, the lack of bracing where the cable attaches, the ribs in the plastic part of the packaging, and the two interleaved fingers on each side of the contacts with the exact same design:

RetroBit:

e7768970c7ad0492257241d02700682b.jpg

Hyperkin:

07389d801f52011194f4019f869629ff.jpg

You’re right: there will be a lot of coincidental similarities when both are trying to fit the same mold, but this goes way beyond that. Heck, 8BitDo’s DIY board was made to fit the same shell and is double sided (components on the back), but the button contacts don’t even look remotely similar:

9bc6629c281d9348308eac09e4bdc30a.jpg

But back to RetroBit and Hyperkin:

You see that little non-plated hole with a bit of silk screen around it on the Hyperkin which isn’t there on the RetroBit? Well, even that draws similarities: Some Old Skool PGS ControlPads also have that and others don’t despite all three of mine being from the 2018 batch.

dca13b975f49d1a8dc3df3b75880693f.jpg

0dc49e3e334153d76d0bd6b9fa737d11.jpg

It’s a difference between panel position of the specific PCB before the panel is broken up into individual PCBs and not actually a notable difference between Hyperkin and Retrobit.

Let’s not forget that they both have the same molds for the controller and the cable. They’re literally identical except for the logo which also makes them more similar to each other than they are to Sega’s own controller.

Perfect example:

The USB port on the 8BitDo DIY kit has the same “too tight” fit even though they fit the original Sega controllers perfectly.

I’ve even seen the bulk sales of the Saturn and Genesis controllers offering logo customization on the controller and custom packaging for particularly large orders. It’s not coincidence that the Hyperkin package and the Old Skool package have the hang tab connected to a lengthwise strip that doesn’t fill up the rest of the area under the top flap. Same manufacturer, but Hyperkin obviously wanted (and got) their trademark notch just like RetroBit wanted (and got) licensed packaging more like Sega’s original retail packaging... but the plastic tray inside still gives it away. It has the exact same ribs as Old Skool and RetroBit.

The GN6 is marketed as having a “Premium” feel but those stingy rubber pieces obviously detract from that. I don’t like that I can press a direction and get a solid pop out of the rubber domes and yet it doesn’t always register. I can’t say it’s their fault though since I’ve only used it with the 8BitDo DIY board. I’ve wanted the Krikzz Joyzz since it was first announced but he’s just charging way too much for me, even with the Black Friday deals. :( I feel that he should charge about 50% more and sell a 2-pack, since the individual price really discourages sales of two!

My GN6 is old too, 2016, but the RetroBit controllers all say 2017 on their boards. It seems they’d had the board design a lot longer than they’ve had their Sega license. ;)

SegaPicoBanner.png

Would it make sense for the Mega Sg to support the Sega Pico system?

As with the Sega Genesis, the Pico also utilizes a 16-bit Motorola 68000 CPU. So with the addition of this, it would support all 8 & 16-bit Sega consoles.

It seems like it could be a great system for those who have children.

SegaPicoGames.png

How would you Interface? It doesn’t have the pen thing.

How would you Interface? It doesn’t have the pen thing.

I think it's playable with either the mouse or joystick in many emulators. I'm not sure to be honest. I assume it's playable. I assume the Sega Mouse also works on the Mega Sg, or could be mapped tonthe controller, such as the Mario Paint controller patch allows you to use a standard SNES controller instead of a mouse.

I think it's playable with either the mouse or joystick in many emulators. I'm not sure to be honest. I assume it's playable. I assume the Sega Mouse also works on the Mega Sg, or could be mapped tonthe controller, such as the Mario Paint controller patch allows you to use a standard SNES controller instead of a mouse.

Sega Pico games are like illustrated children’s books with a large cartridge connector at the bottom. They use the pen to interface with the page. Even with a cartridge adapter I don’t see how that could possibly translate to the Mega Sg unless it was straight-up showing duplicated pages on-screen... which wouldn’t be your typical logic-level FPGA clone at all.

It’s an interesting thought though, since Pico is Genesis-based.

If I remember, Pico roms were essentially the same as Megadrive roms as far as emulators were concerned. Likely, one could sideload the actual games with the jailbreak firmware (I get my Mega SG soon so will be happy to test). Not having the booklets to phyically interact with might make usability of the games impossible though. Maybe they could be fudged through if the Sega Mouse is supported.

As far as the discussion of Sega controllers goes, Has anyone mixed and matched? For example, if someone likes the retrobit USB 8 button Genesis controller but NOT the D-pad, have you tried swapping the dpad from an original controller? I could see this not solving the problem if the issue is the PCB connection of if someone feels it defeats the purpose of buying new.

Could someone elaborate on the Console5 TG16 new products? Replacement cable? Standard Din? What exactly different and who is the product for? I'd LOVE to see a DIY kit to make TG16/PC-Engine controllers USB with reversible option to stock controller config. I can confirm that TG16 and PC-Engine controllers use the EXACT same pcb, and the only difference is the cable and connection size. One can swap cables if one prefers the outer look of one or the other. You can convert the TG gamepad to the plug type to work on a PC-Engine for example.

If I remember, Pico roms were essentially the same as Megadrive roms as far as emulators were concerned. Likely, one could sideload the actual games with the jailbreak firmware (I get my Mega SG soon so will be happy to test). Not having the booklets to phyically interact with might make usability of the games impossible though. Maybe they could be fudged through if the Sega Mouse is supported.

As far as the discussion of Sega controllers goes, Has anyone mixed and matched? For example, if someone likes the retrobit USB 8 button Genesis controller but NOT the D-pad, have you tried swapping the dpad from an original controller? I could see this not solving the problem if the issue is the PCB connection of if someone feels it defeats the purpose of buying new.

Could someone elaborate on the Console5 TG16 new products? Replacement cable? Standard Din? What exactly different and who is the product for? I'd LOVE to see a DIY kit to make TG16/PC-Engine controllers USB with reversible option to stock controller config. I can confirm that TG16 and PC-Engine controllers use the EXACT same pcb, and the only difference is the cable and connection size. One can swap cables if one prefers the outer look of one or the other. You can convert the TG gamepad to the plug type to work on a PC-Engine for example.

Yes, the Pico ROMs are essentially MD/Gen ROMs but we’d need some way to replicate the book/pen thing. That would be pretty cumbersome to do even with scans and a translated pointing device since the TV screen is already used for showing the Pico’s usual video output.

The USB RetroBit controller has extra buttons but the Genesis one is similar enough that you can swap most or all parts. Still, if you had an original to get parts from you might as well stick with that most of the time. *shrug*

The Console5 cable is a replacement cable with the TG16 standard DIN size but it doesn’t make any attempt to look like the original cable (compatible replacement but definitely not a replica part). I believe they also have one with the Mini-DIN for PCE/Duo.

The original TG16 cable had a flat side on the plug end and had an arrow molded into it. The Old Skool controller replicates this perfectly but does not have an internal disconnect. Sure, you could bodge it onto a real controller but you’d sacrifice their controller. If they were going to go through the trouble of replicating it that closely they really should have considered selling replica replacement cables too. Old Skool does sell a bunch of controller replacement parts just like Hyperkin (same rebranded stuff) including a few repair cables so it would have fit right in! No idea why they didn’t do that.

I wish RetroBit and Hyperkin sold replacement Genesis cables since they went through the trouble of making a replica for their controllers. Oh well. I’ll have a few extras from a couple 8BitDo DIY conversions and a Justifier mod (conversion to a 2nd player gun).

So is the Mega Sg considered finalized at this point? Or are there any additional features or fixes on the way? It seems like it's been a pretty quiet post launch compared to the Super Nt.

Is there any chance we'll get more cores released for it? I think the Atari 2600 core would could make sense if you consider that the ColecoVision core was released, and the ColecoVision had an accessory (Expansion Module #1) which allows you to play Atari 2600 games on it. Then we really wouldn't need that Coleco Phoenix FPGA.

Before Kevtris releases any more cores for it, I hope he fixes audio issues in popular games. Just play Streets of Rage 2 and before you've successfully chosen your character, you'll hear some weird stuff. Especially on the character select screen. No amount of tweaking has fixed that for me yet.

I do believe I heard them say somewhere that there would not be any more cores added. The Atari 2600 makes no sense: the only reason the ColecoVision is supported is because the hardware is essentially identical to the SG-1000, and the only reason that's supported is because the master system is basically a superset of that hardware, and the only reason the master system is supported is because it's required for a full Genesis implementation.

The ColecoVision accessory was just a bolt-on 2600 clone. The 2600 has no hardware commonality with the ColecoVision/SG-1000/Master System/Genesis. Those consoles use a Z80 (not as the main CPU in the Genesis), while the 2600 uses a 6507, meaning it has more in common with the 6502 clone in the NES or the 65C816 in the SNES/Apple IIGS.

On that note, Apple IIGS support in the Super Nt would have been neat, since it's more or less the same CPU, but I suppose the IIGS has way too much additional hardware for that to make any sense. Like, that thing has a crazy 32-channel wavetable music synth chip.

I do believe I heard them say somewhere that there would not be any more cores added. The Atari 2600 makes no sense: the only reason the ColecoVision is supported is because the hardware is essentially identical to the SG-1000, and the only reason that's supported is because the master system is basically a superset of that hardware, and the only reason the master system is supported is because it's required for a full Genesis implementation.

The ColecoVision accessory was just a bolt-on 2600 clone. The 2600 has no hardware commonality with the ColecoVision/SG-1000/Master System/Genesis. Those consoles use a Z80 (not as the main CPU in the Genesis), while the 2600 uses a 6507, meaning it has more in common with the 6502 clone in the NES or the 65C816 in the SNES/Apple IIGS.

On that note, Apple IIGS support in the Super Nt would have been neat, since it's more or less the same CPU, but I suppose the IIGS has way too much additional hardware for that to make any sense. Like, that thing has a crazy 32-channel wavetable music synth chip.

Well yeah, it kind of does make sense because

1. the Expansion Module #1 is an official Coleco made accessory for the ColecoVision. It's usually the first thing people think of when buying additional accessories for it. If you're adding support for the ColecoVision, why not have it it do everything then real hardware can do?

2. Kevtris already made a perfect Atari 2600 core.

Let's be real here for a moment. The chips that these cores use really have no bearing when it comes to FPGA tech. It can act like a Game Boy just as easily as a Genesis, SNES, 2600, INTV, and so on. If we are motoring on that logic then the Neo•Geo really should have been added since it uses both a Motorola 68K and Z-80 CPU, just like the Gen/MD.

• Like 1

Well yeah, it kind of does make sense because

1. the Expansion Module #1 is an official Coleco made accessory for the ColecoVision. It's usually the first thing people think of when buying additional accessories for it. If you're adding support for the ColecoVision, why not have it it do everything then real hardware can do?

2. Kevtris already made a perfect Atari 2600 core.

Let's be real here for a moment. The chips that these cores use really have no bearing when it comes to FPGA tech. It can act like a Game Boy just as easily as a Genesis, SNES, 2600, INTV, and so on. If we are motoring on that logic then the Neo•Geo really should have been added since it uses both a Motorola 68K and Z-80 CPU, just like the Gen/MD.

For the same reason that the Super Nt doesn't support Game Boy games directly, even though it has an accessory to play GameBoy games. It's out of scope of the product. Besides, the Mega Sg does not officially support the ColecoVision in the first place. There are no plans, as far as I know, to release an adapter for it, or to officially support it in any way. It just got included in the unofficial jailbreak firmware because all the hardware was already more or less supported via the Genesis.

The 2600 has no hardware commonality with the ColecoVision/SG-1000/Master System/Genesis.

Well, there are the 9-pin controller ports. ;) If Kev/Analogue did make a set of cartridge and controller adapters to add official support then it’s one less controller adapter they’d have to build in to the cart adapter.

• Like 1

Well, there are the 9-pin controller ports. ;) If Kev/Analogue did make a set of cartridge and controller adapters to add official support then its one less controller adapter theyd have to build in to the cart adapter.

VCC is pin 5 on Genesis, pin 7 on Atari. This would require hardware support to supply a reasonable amount of current on one console and still have your bidirectional data bus on another. For instance, Genesis uses pin 7 to change which button presses get output on the controller data pins.

So suppose Kevtris decided to release an atari 2600 core for the Mega SG. Any nonstandard controller with active logic ie a trackball contoller, would likely brown out the digital logic high presented on pin 7 resulting in malfunction of the controller. While this is unlikely to cause damage to either the console or the stisk, it will not function correctly. Sticks with turbo fire may be in a similar way.

To truly support any console with a 9-pin plug, the console would need bidirectional data on all 9 pins as well as power switching transistors to supply the necessary strong vcc or gnd signals to necessary pins.

Additionally, low value shunt resistors or a resetable digital fuse is necessary on every power output pin to protect against shorts if an incompatible controller or device is connected.

This extra necessary hardware components and or schematics cannot be baked into the fpga firmware. So if the Mega SG were designed to operate as sega hardware, then there is no need for switching transistors or digital relays to change the vcc or gnd pins from their default configuration.

I understand that people would love to see another jack-of-all trades like the NT mini, that interfaces everything. A cartridge conversion for Super NT would be stupid easy, since the controller port essentially share the same pin standard. You can easily patch an SNES and NES extension cable.

However, the Retrousb AVS (with Everdrive or Powerpak) is currently the best available option for playing NES cart and accessories. The Super NT and Mega SG (with jb fimmware) make great 16-bit spiritual successors.

Kevtris was nice to include additional Sega cores and CD, so do not look a gift horse in the mouth. He could have produced a bog standard Genesis with no CD support, and SMS only through an PB or FM Mini adapter.

People get a free bonus, then expect the moon and the stars...